Wally and his staff ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Thanks, BCF.

Sounds like Wally is laying the groundwork for acceptance of Khari as OC. Or running up a trial ballon to see fan reaction.

If not Khari, then who else?
I know this won't be popular here , but I think Chapdelaine is a far better OC then Khari . If JC becomes available, he probably will be the best option and BC would have a potent offense with Jennings pulling the trigger . Just keep Dorazio out and try keeping Malone on board . Malone seemed to be a package deal with Cortez , but since Cortez retired maybe he'll stay here on his own , hoping Wally sees it that way .
JC may be unpopular with many on this board , but I suspect the casual fans at BC Place have no idea of who he is , and if our offense works that is all they care about . Last Sask game I went to with a group and none of them even had any idea of who Jonathon Jennings was even though they were fairly regular casual fans . They knew who he was by the end of the game because I let them know who he was and he played lights out that night . If they don't know the name of our starting QB i doubt they know any of our assistant coaches names .
I suspect the majority of the fans at Lions game are season ticket holders. Not too many casual fans are going to pay good money to see the product the Lions have been putting on the field the past few years.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I suppose someone is going to do the job but I have never been sold on Chaps. Yes he had some some success here but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Have we forgotten already how his game planning has gotten more QB's killed here that should have happened. Have we forgotten how bad this team has been at making mid game adjustments. Especially in the 2nd half after the opposition has changed their defensive strategies? Yes it was problem after JC but he wasn't able to fix it either. If not for the 2011 "miracle on turf" he would have helped this team to exactly 1 cup back in 2006 with arguably the best QB mind in the league at the actual helm. A mind that has now surpassed him in the coaching ranks after what (4 years). JC may be the best option available but let's be real, he is maybe the best of a bad lot. His success away from the Lions has been anything but stellar and when the Lion's cut him loose 2 years ago, I didn't see a bunch of other teams jostling for his services. That should tell his defenders something. It is a bunch of coaches and GM's around the league that don't seem to think that much of Chaps.

Frankly, I would be surprised if Chaps wanted to come back. It might simply be a case of a year or two till Wally retires (or is fired) and if JC ends up on a sinking ship again, I think it could be a league ender for him. Let's see if he sticks in Sask. That would be the best play for him. Jones seems to have it going his way for now. What better way to revive a career than hitching to a highly sought after coach (provided he has a choice). Better to take a demotion and stay with Jones for now than come back to a team that could just as easily sink to Winnipeg status as anything.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
The_Pauser
Legend

Why do we have to select from the CFL retreads? Why can't we look outside the league at other qualified personnel?
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I agree Pauser that is what we should do. I don't want Khari Jones as OC again. Been there, done that and failed. Why would this time be anything different? They need to sell tickets and win a fan base back. Don't see how that move would help.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe I'm crazy (right Sir P?) but I don't find the idea of Khari Jones as repulsive as others do.

3 thoughts:
1) What did Jennings display last year? A willingness to air the ball out deep. That created a lot of excitement.
2) What did Khari Jones like to do as a QB in Winnipeg? Air the ball out to playmakers like Stegall and Gordon.
3) Who did Jones have to work with as QB in his less than stellar 1 year stint as BC OC? Kevin Glenn. Hands up how many Lionbackers see similarities between those two?

So count me as being somewhat intrigued about how a Lions' offence might operate with Jennings and Jones working together
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Maybe I'm crazy (right Sir P?) but I don't find the idea of Khari Jones as repulsive as others do.

3 thoughts:
1) What did Jennings display last year? A willingness to air the ball out deep. That created a lot of excitement.
2) What did Khari Jones like to do as a QB in Winnipeg? Air the ball out to playmakers like Stegall and Gordon.
3) Who did Jones have to work with as QB in his less than stellar 1 year stint as BC OC? Kevin Glenn. Hands up how many Lionbackers see similarities between those two?

So count me as being somewhat intrigued about how a Lions' offence might operate with Jennings and Jones working together
You know, you may be right about KJ. KJ really didn't have that much time with us as OC. There is still an element of the unknown with him and the possibility he may become more than what we have seen so far. With JC, you know exactly what you are getting and frankly, it wasn't that great. What I want is an OC who seems to be able to say screw conventional logic and shape an offense around the skill set of the QB. I also want an OC who can make quick adjustments to the D when they change their tactics. In this league you can't continue to try the same failing strategy for 7/8th of a game and then get aggressive in the last 4 minutes. You also can't afford to go into a shell because you have a lead at the half and go all conservative.

Just my take.

P.S. definitely crazy.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Why do we have to select from the CFL retreads? Why can't we look outside the league at other qualified personnel?
Agree totally. We need some fresh ideas from the stale offence that fans have become accustomed to the past few years.
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote: 3) Who did Jones have to work with as QB in his less than stellar 1 year stint as BC OC?
Isn't this the case for many coaches that get ragged on ? They have a great QB , they look like a great coach . They have a dud of a QB , they look like a dud too .
BC's offence was a case in point this past season , before Jennings started our Offence was useless , then looked pretty good as Jennings settled into the role of starter , then when Lulay came back in to play late season and the playoff game , the offence reverted back to what it was before Jennings, with Lulay throwing one long incomplete pass after the other . Same OC the whole time of course .
JohnHenry
Champion

I had suggested K. Jones be elevated to OC mid-way through this season. Wasn't he also the Lions QB coach? Khari must have done something right with J. Jennings emerging as one of the best young QB prospects the league has seen in a while. Credit should also go to T. Lulay, J. Beck, G. Cortez, W. Buono as well as J. Tedford who spotted Jennings in a scouting video and exclaimed "who is this guy?" Tedford personally attended Jennings workout in Texas, one of eight QB prospects brought to training camp.

Having some continuity with Khari and Jennings, along with Travis might be the smart move for the Lions.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Khari Jones was not the OB coach, but receivers coach, a role held by Joe Paopao, and both seemed out of place. I would rather have a receiver coaching the receivers. The guy who developed Jennings was Jeff Tedford, who was brought in here as a QB guru. Jones as far as I know did not work with any of the quarterbacks. I don't even think they had a QB coach.

Jones was keep on for they did not want to pay him out. Now his contract has expired. I don't want Khari. I rather have Joe Paopao, who for some reason is no longer considered a candidate for anything in the CFL.

Why have some continuity when it isn't working. Even with Jennings, Cortez put the reins on him a lot and they played not to lose, very conservative play calling.

They need someone creative. Jones to me is not that. Lulay will be the backup to guide Jennings. They need fresh ideas. Once you demote someone, why should they get promoted again, unless they truly deserve it. If Jones is good, why aren't other CFL teams interested. None are. Even the Lions are taking their time deciding. They are more options than Jones and JC. I really don't see the Lions as much better. They been on a decline for 5 years and the man responsible is still here. He probably was the one who decided to fire Rich Stubler, which was a terrible mistake. He took the fall and then helped Calgary win the Grey Cup.

I wonder why the Lions are quiet. Will they settle for Grade B or C coaches. If McMann never retired, he would be back with Buono here, Tedford no. Tedford probably wanted more control and decision making on all coaches and Bouno did not like it and persuaded him to leave. Lowell Ullrich seems to think so.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Hambone wrote: 3) Who did Jones have to work with as QB in his less than stellar 1 year stint as BC OC?
Isn't this the case for many coaches that get ragged on ? They have a great QB , they look like a great coach . They have a dud of a QB , they look like a dud too .
BC's offence was a case in point this past season , before Jennings started our Offence was useless , then looked pretty good as Jennings settled into the role of starter , then when Lulay came back in to play late season and the playoff game , the offence reverted back to what it was before Jennings, with Lulay throwing one long incomplete pass after the other . Same OC the whole time of course .
True. The offence came to life as soon as Jennings was inserted. The difference? He can accurately throw the ball anywhere on the field. That difference is shown clearly in the 2015 passing stats below:

Net offence:
6 Jennings starts: 337 yds./game
12 other starts: 301 yds./game (10 Lulay starts, 2 Beck starts)

Passing:
6 Jennings starts: 296 yds./game
12 other starts: 228 yds./game
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

All Quiet on the Western Front ...

Khari?

Ummm ... Will it be Khari?

Let's see. How about Khari?

Sticking to CFL guys, who the heck else is there? Doug Berry? Nope. Jacques? He must be someone Wally is thinking about. On the Riders' site, Jones is the only coach showing. Buck Pierce? Travis Lulay? Is Jarious still available as OC? His position with the Riders is not a promotion, it seems.

Lions' needs --> OC. STs. RBs. QB coach. If Khari is not OC, will he still be receivers' coach?

Breathless anticipation. Contemplating a variety of riches. :wink:

Which teams seem to be doing well in the off season?

Regina. Yes. Jones. :thup:

Edmonton? Is Maas ready for the move up? :cr:

Ottawa. Let's see how they do filling the OC vacancy. :cr:

Hamilton. Hanging on to Steinauer? Seems like. :thup:

Winnipeg. LaPolice for OC. Solid move. Great move? Dunno. :thup:

Calgary. Dinwiddie to assist with offence and QB coaching. Claybrooks for DC. :thup:

Toronto. Rich Stubler as DC. :thup:

Montreal. Popp. Deja vu all over again (Thanks Yogi, and God Bless). :cr:

B.C. No moves so far, after the exodus, aside from Wally back in the saddle. Tedford, Cortez and McMann gone. :cr:

Idea: Khari as overall OC and play caller, Travis as OC passing game coordinator, Doug Malone as OC running game coordinator. A three-headed monster. That should get it done. LOL. Not serious.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

A little off the path here but I didn't think it was deserving of it's own thread. I was on the Lion's website today and I thought I noticed something. The Lions are doing a promotional trip to Mexico with Geroy Simon and Jonathon Jennings. Maybe I'm wrong but I could have sworn it was Geroy Simon and Travis Lulay a little while back. Am I wrong or has there been a change and might that betoken a change in player personnel?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Correct you are Sir P. At the last couple of home game and for I don't know how long prior it was advertised as Geroy an Lulay. Now it's Geroy and JJ. I think the change only stands to reason. Jenning is now the face of th franchise and it's unknown if Travis will even be with the team next season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Correct you are Sir P. At the last couple of home game and for I don't know how long prior it was advertised as Geroy an Lulay. Now it's Geroy and JJ. I think the change only stands to reason. Jenning is now the face of th franchise and it's unknown if Travis will even be with the team next season.
Is there a message in there concerning Lulay ?