Wally and his staff ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hard or impossible to hear the questions ...

(The map or blueprint for the future.)

Wally seemed pleased about the discussions with Braley and Skulsky regarding his own future. He seems secure in that regard. He is under contract "until 2017."

Other issues ...

* He wants to recruit better players

* He wants to look at getting the best football staff that he can put together

* Jeff had a condition in his contract allowing him to move on

Paraphrasing: David, Dennis and I sit down and talk. Dennis and I give our ideas and direction. "David, being the great owner that he is (smiling and almost tearing up), says: 'Guys, this is what I hire you for.'"

(David Braley has certainly been a great boss for Wally Buono. I am not so sure he has been great for the B.C. Lions in terms of building the product, or keeping the team at the top level of the league.)

Wally says that after meeting with Braley, he and Dennis will be held responsible.

(What does that look like when they are held responsible for the win/loss record, or declining product on the field? Loss of salary? Demotion. Responsible but no apparent consequences.)

Paraphraising: Going forward we have to have a plan. Is this Plan A, what I really wanted to do? No. We can't put our heads in the sand, or we can be held responsible and do something about it.

(Responsibility usually means some kind of unwanted result on a personal level. I don't see that here.)

"The players love me," he says. (No twinkle in the eye perceived.) "Seriously," he says. "And I love them." (He seemed very serious in saying that.)

Too heavy influence, he is asked? the shadow ... the cloud ... He agrees. "Now there is only one person to blame. That's me." (I agree with that.)

Re Jeff opting out. Sounds like it was Jeff's choice. Sounds like Wally did not push him out. ... Paraphraising: Jeff thought about it, came back and said: "I am going to exercize that option."

Paraphrasing: "If it doesn't work, I will take the blame. I'm not afraid of the consequences." His family wants him to be happy. He has had a good life. Being involved with football is what makes him happy. Now, as Head Coach, instead of coming in at 6:45, I will come in at 4:45 or 5:45. And I won't take those 6 days off I took this year. He doesn't sleep that well anyway, might as well go to work.

Paraphrasing: George Cortez will not be back. He told Wally that. Wally has not talked to any of the assistants at this point. Staffing is usually done by the end of January.

(Wally seemed a bit testy with Mike Beamish at times. No surprise there.)

Paraphrasing: The coaches are under contract, and not free at this time to explore other opportunities. For another team to contact them would be tampering. If a coach wants to go do an interview, he can resign. (No pay at that time.)

Paraphrasing: Geroy? Just worry about scouting, Canadian scouting. U.S. scouting. Get us some players. Geroy, Neil, Ryan and Roy have worked very well together.

"I'm not here forever. I am here for 2016, and hopefully longer." (21:22 in the video)

Paraphrasing: On field product changes: No promises in that regard. But, we will work hard to secure the best players, the best coaches, the best staff, to make this football club competitive, to give our fans hope, to put us in the ballpark with the other good teams in this league. We should all hate losing. The only important thing is winning. The teams with the best chemistry win.

"I was going to wear my Hall of Fame jacket to show you what I have accomplished. It is the players who have accomplished that. Our job is to put the players in the best position to win. I promise you that I will try my best. If it's not good enough, c'est la vie."

"You can't stay in the past. Previously the free agent list was two pages. Now it is a phone book."

Are you going to be a different coach than last time? "No, because I was a championship coach."

http://www.bclions.com/article/wally-bu ... ia-address

I admire many aspects of Wally's character. My concern as a fan is the same one as always: Can he still compete at the highest level? We will see next year. As he said, there will be no one else to blame for failure.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes, many threads on similar topics. It is a key time for our franchise. The threads will sort themselves out, as will the status of our football team.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: * He wants to recruit better players

* He wants to look at getting the best football staff that he can put together
That goes without saying in this business. Is Chuck McMann the best out there ? Buono has had him for years
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks, Joe. I tried to watch the livestream but couldn't make out much of what he was saying.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Thanks, Joe. I tried to watch the livestream but couldn't make out much of what he was saying.
You are welcome, BCF. I could hear Wally well enough. Many of the questions not so much.

I could hear some of the exchange between Wally and Mike Beamish. LOL Some sparks there.

When I started to listen to it, I took on more than I thought. It was a bit of work and time consuming, breaking it down. But I did my homework, like a good boy. This franchise seems to have its hooks into me. I have the time. And it is all good.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

From Mike Beamish ...
Braley bestowed favoured son status upon Buono long ago, virtually guaranteeing him a job for life as long as he wants to remain in professional football. Buono’s deal with the organization carries him into the 2017 season, but an extension is in the works, said president Dennis Skulsky.

“What you need to be rest assured of is that Wally is going to be here until 2018,” Skulsky said. “Wally and I have agreed that, to bring a future head coach on board, we need some stability with Wally being there. We have a succession plan. (But) it changed as a result of coach Tedford exercising his option to resign.”
In a post-season news conference, three days after the Lions’ playoff elimination, Buono’s endorsement of Tedford was far from ringing. Asked if Tedford would be returning in 2016, Buono responded, “it’s a tough question to answer. It’s premature.”
The long shadow cast by Buono crept up on Tedford continually throughout the 2015 season, to the point where the GM was literally looking over the latter’s shoulder on the practice field.

With most football operations there is a distinct separation of church and state. But Buono was not content to spend practice hours sitting alone in his office, working the phones. He was on the practice field continually, observing and offering input to coaches and players. During his three years as head coach, Benevides was subjected to the same scrutiny from a rooftop perch — with Buono peering down on the proceedings, Bear Bryant-like.
“Some have concerns,” Buono admitted. “But there are a lot of fans who have expressed themselves that this is a positive thing. They can see this going forward in the right direction. I don’t have to do this. I’m choosing to do this because my job is to put a winning product on the field. That’s what I do. To be honest, the players love me. And my family wants me to be happy. This (coaching) is what makes me happy.”

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/cole ... story.html

And Cam Cole ...
Following Buono was never going to be easy for a successor, even a successor once removed. Not because he was still involved in football decisions — it’s a rare GM, especially a through-and-through football man, who will give the coach 100 percent autonomy without consultation — but because his stature loomed, still looms, over the entire operation.

“Unfortunately, your shadow is always out there whether you want to cast it or not,” Buono said. He wasn’t apologizing.

“Every intention I had with both Mike (Benevides) and Jeff was to help them to be successful.”

But they weren’t. So now it’s on Buono.

“I accept the responsibility of the last four years,” he said, “and I’m going to put it on myself to get this football club back to where it belongs.”

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

And from Ed Willes ...
Now, the great man has to step in and clean up a mess he played a role in making. All of which raises the question, does he still have the game to do it?

You have to admit, that’s a helluva question. When Tedford was hired, the presumption was Buono would turn over the keys to the former Cal coach and drift off to retirement. Now comes word that Buono will again take over the operation, and negotiations are taking place to extend him through the 2017 season.

Somewhere in there a new plan of succession will have to be formed — Buono: “Guys, I’m not here for eternity” — but in the here and now there will be plenty to keep Buono occupied.

He addressed some of those issues on Wednesday. Others, not so much. Buono said conversations have taken place to keep Travis Lulay in the Lions’ fold as the backup quarterback/mentor to Jonathon Jennings/offensive-coordinator-in-training, and signing Lulay would send a strong message that this organization isn’t as screwy as it seems. As for the other key free agents — Andrew Harris, Manny Arceneaux, Jovan Olafioye — Buono said it’s too soon to tell. But his return to the sidelines all but signals the end of Harris’s career with the Leos.

Back later ...

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

“What you need to be rest assured of is that Wally is going to be here until 2018,” Skulsky said. “Wally and I have agreed that, to bring a future head coach on board, we need some stability with Wally being there. We have a succession plan. (But) it changed as a result of coach Tedford exercising his option to resign.”
So nothing's changed. When the future head coach comes on board (whenever that may be), Buono will be there to micro manage or mentor the new guys in the ways of Wally World.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So one asks: How is Wally the GM doing in his hirings for Head Coach?

Benny gets a FAIL, as does his hiring.

Teddy gets a FAIL, as does his hiring.

Wally gets a FAIL for his hirings, and yet he gets to carry on.

2012. 2013. 2014. Down. And Down. Benny gets fired. Wally gets to carry on.

2015. Down. Teddy resigns after one difficult year, with Wally involved at each practice. Wally gets to carry on. With discussions and agreement that he can carry on for even more years.

Is that taking responsibility? Or is that a free pass from the owner?

I expect some/many fans are in shock over these developments. And I expect there is even depression, and some anger.

Having Tedford resign was not Wally's Plan A, or even Plan B. But Wally never let go of the reins. We have heard that he attended practice faithfully, involved with the players and coaches. With Benny, Wally was either up on the rooftop, watching, or he was up on the mobile tower. We have not heard why Tedford resigned. Was huge money being thrown at him from NCAA football? I don't think so. Not yet anyway, it appears. So something about the working situation did not sit well with Tedford. And that situation no doubt affected the outcome of wins and losses. There was dysfunction within the command structure of the organization. And that would seem to be all about Wally Buono and his style of management. Who is the Boss? Is the Head Coach the Boss, or can the players see that it is Wally who was still the Boss. Whose systems got run? Sure didn't look like the systems that Tedford used in his previous coaching gigs.

So now we have Wally back as Head Coach. It is shocking. But it was no doubt inevitable.

And there is some rough justice in it. The results on the field now belong once again to Wally Buono. No one else to blame. For better or worse.

We will see how it goes. As the long running play, Wally's World, turns. This fan is not thrilled about it. 13 years with more to come. But it does bring closure. No more fooling around with prospective, would-be Head Coaches other than Wally Buono. The results, the wins and losses, belong on the desk of Wally Buono.

Credit for the wins. Blame for the losses.

A bigger shock for this fan would be if we are competitive next year at the top level. And yet, with all the coaching changes going on in the West, one would think that Wally might have a chance do well. We will see. It is hard to tell if chaos reigns with the Lions, or if Wally will bring a competitive atmosphere.

Too tough on the Hall of Fame GM/Head Coach and good citizen? I don't think so. His job is in he public eye, running an organization that truly belongs to the community. David Braley has been an absentee custodian, who has farmed out the franchise. Our wins and losses have slid down from CFL leadership all the way down to 7 and 11. Hopefully we can climb back up the ladder. We know Wally and his staff will work hard. Will that be enough? Will the judgments, decisions and leadership be good enough? We will see.

Just IMO ...

David
Team Captain

More scathing reaction: "That may be the biggest mess of all in the entire Canadian Football League, what's happening in Vancouver right now" - Arash Madani, Sportsnet

Listen to this piece on the 3rd Down Nation podcast HERE. FFD to 26:22. It runs until 28:45.

Madani later heaps high praise on Travis Lulay's work as a guest analyst during Grey Cup week. Whip smart, amazing analysis, willing to learn and improve. Not surprising at all, but great to hear nonetheless. FFD to 33:00. It runs until 34:53.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wondering how many people renew their season tickets with Buono coming back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for that lead, David.

"Tedford did not conduct player exit interviews."

"Wally Buono has some questions to answer. They are on the third Head Coach in as many years. Attendance is down. Relevance is down. That is a mess over there in B.C. That may be the biggest mess of all in the entire Canadian Football League."

"It will be interesting to see if he has still got his coaching mojo. He has to live with the job he has done as General Manager. Does that put him on the hot seat? He will be accountable for what happens next."

(Accountable? Not so far. Not at all. His owner wants to extend him again, off into the future.)

"You're the guy that said losing in the first round of the playoffs was not good enough, with Mike Benevides. You're the guy that said losing in the first round of the playoffs was not good enough, with Jeff Tedford."

(Those guys were accountable. They paid the price. They are gone. Wally is still here, seemingly forever.)

"After a while, when nobody else is left, you've got to look yourself in the mirror. It's Buono who picked Mike Benevides. It's Buono who picked Jeff Tedford."

(But no consequences that go along with Wally's responsibility. Just fumble around and try something else. Plan A was a failure. Plan B was a failure. OK, let's put Wally back in there. That is not accountability.)

Succession plan? LOL Throw some more darts at the board. Pick another protégé. Off into the distant future.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TSN 1040 ran a poll all day Wednesday on whether Wally's return to coaching was a good idea or bad idea. The results as of Wednesday night were 65% good idea, 35% bad idea. The Twitter responses from Jovan Olafioye, Solomon Emilimian and Ronnie Yell all praised the move. I haven't seen any negative response from players, although I suspect they might be wise to keep criticism of Wally to themselves.

For whatever reason, the relationship between Wally and Tedford didn't work out. I was hoping Tedford would be more assertive in 2016 by shaking up the coaching staff and overhauling the offensive scheme. It looks like that will happen anyway under Wally. Based on that and the elimination of conflict in the chain of command, I accept the change as a positive development. I just hope the next succession plan works better than the previous ones. That would probably have to involve a change in GM as well as head coach. LU says Geroy Simon is being groomed for that role. If that's the plan, then we probably have to accept Wally coaching for at least a couple of years until Geroy is ready.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:TSN 1040 ran a poll all day Wednesday on whether Wally's return to coaching was a good idea or bad idea. The results as of Wednesday night were 65% good idea, 35% bad idea. The Twitter responses from Jovan Olafioye, Solomon Emilimian and Ronnie Yell all praised the move. I haven't seen any negative response from players, although I suspect they might be wise to keep criticism of Wally to themselves.

For whatever reason, the relationship between Wally and Tedford didn't work out. I was hoping Tedford would be more assertive in 2016 by shaking up the coaching staff and overhauling the offensive scheme. It looks like that will happen anyway under Wally. Based on that and the elimination of conflict in the chain of command, I accept the change as a positive development. I just hope the next succession plan works better than the previous ones. That would probably have to involve a change in GM as well as head coach. LU says Geroy Simon is being groomed for that role. If that's the plan, then we probably have to accept Wally coaching for at least a couple of years until Geroy is ready.
Yes, fair comments, BCF.

But we really have no idea if Geroy has what it takes to be a good GM. No idea whatsoever. It is an entirely different deal than being a Hall of Fame receiver. It seems to me that Neil McAvoy has earned some stripes. But he may get to be GM somewhere else. And if Wally makes the choice, it would seem that Mark Washington would be the succession plan as Head Coach.

Just IMO ... I agree that Wally may settle things down now. But will he be able to compete at the highest level? From around 2008, the results have been mixed, aside from the miracle year of 2011, after a terrible start.

Re the poll. Well, if the people want him back, they got him. For better or worse. And off into the future.

In some respects it reminds me of an answer Eagle Keys gave after another loss: "We stumbled, and bumbled and finally fell down." And I liked Eagle Keys. He really cranked up our running game. He had success with the Riders, but he could not turn our program around for the better, it seemed to me.

Wally's win/loss record in his return will tell the story. We go from there.