Wally and his staff ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:People don't usually leave management positions to pursue other opportunities unless they're pushed. I have to assume Wally was behind Tedford and Cortez's decisions to leave, and perhaps McMann's too.
Pushed? I agree that that is usually the case. And that is bad enough for the organization. It shows a failure on Wally's part, as GM, in trying to build the staff last year. IMO ...

Alternatively, if they both left, shockingly, of their own accord, it might say something about an intolerable work environment.

Just IMO ...

Wally now must try to build from the ruins of a season. Yes, this fan is critical of Wally for the decline of the team, and its present state. Others see it differently.

As noted, if he rights the ship, he will deserve credit.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:People don't usually leave management positions to pursue other opportunities unless they're pushed. I have to assume Wally was behind Tedford and Cortez's decisions to leave, and perhaps McMann's too.
If that's the case then Cortez has been pushed by lots of folks. BC would be the 6th place be's been pushed from since Tedford pushed him from Cal a decade ago. Since then he's been pushed from Saskatchewan, Calgary, Buffalo, Hamilton Saskatchewan again and BC. 5 of those stops
were for 2 years or less.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
If that's the case then Cortez has been pushed by lots of folks. BC would be the 6th place be's been pushed from since Tedford pushed him from Cal a decade ago. Since then he's been pushed from Saskatchewan, Calgary, Buffalo, Hamilton Saskatchewan again and BC. 5 of those stops
were for 2 years or less.
I don't believe that Cortez was pushed. I agree with Hambone. In fact I believe Wally would likely have preferred Cortez to stay...he runs Wally's prferrred offence. He ran it in Calgary after Hufnagel.

No, likely Tedford wanted out and Wally also wanted back in. Cortez probably wanted out. The why they wanted out have not been determined but both Ullrich and Beamish, two guys who see a lot, both wrote columns after Tedford left, basically stating that Wally was interfering this season, as he has in the past.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Merry Christmas Everyone. No comment for now. Just a Christmas greeting.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Coaching staff not listed yet. I think all the spots are filled, subject to change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Excerpts from the article by Ed Willes ...
“We don’t have trial and error anymore,” Buono said at a Tuesday presser which announced his coaching staff for the upcoming season.

“I hate to put that kind of pressure on the team but I think we’re at a point now where people want to see results.

“We’re in a situation where we don’t have three years or five years. We have to build a football team that’s going to be competitive and excite the fans. That’s on me and the coaches.”
Jennings, of course, re-invigorated the Lions’ moribund attack when he stepped into the lineup in Week 10 and his care and nurturing has now been turned over to Khari Jones, who’s had his own adventure over the last couple of years.

In 2014, the former CFL quarterback was brought in as the OC, demoted to receivers coach last season under George Cortez and restored to the co-ordinator position after Cortez made a mess of things last year.

“Not that big a deal,” Jones says.

We should all be so forgiving.

“We’re a little under the radar,” he continued. “We’re a bit of an afterthought. I like that. I’ve been in that positive most of my life. I’m comfortable there and I have something to prove. But so does this team and I want them to come with that attitude.”

Buono said he turned to Jones largely because of his familiarity with Jennings and the crown prince will be surrounded by other returnees.
“Do we have to reinvent the wheel?” Buono asked rhetorically. “No. But (Jones) knows Jonathon Jennings. He knows how we can best utilize Manny Arceneaux. He knows how we can build our offence.

“We looked at (bringing in someone new). But continuity had a big influence. I don’t believe in starting all over again.”
So Wally looked at bringing in someone new, then decided to promote Khari back up to OC, for continuity reasons. From a P.R. point of view, selling the team to fans, it might have been better to not say they looked at bringing in someone new.

So there we have it, our staff for 2016. All guys are key, but Buono, Washington and Jones set the philosophy.

We hear rumblings of going to a 3-4 defence. This fan sees the 3-4 as more of a contain type defence, not focused on attacking the QB nor the Line of Scrimmage.

Will Khari feature the empty backfield, spread offence?

Who will be our feature running back, with the departure of Andrew Harris?

As always, it will be interesting.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/coaching-staff/

Wally Buono. Head Coach.

Mark Washington. DC.

Khari Jones. OC.

Marcello Simmons. STs.

Dan Dorazio. O Line.

Robin Ross. D Line.

Chris Tormey. LBs.

Marcel Bellefeuille. Receivers.

Adam Blasetti. RBs.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jon Jennings seems like a special talent, well suited to the CFL. But he has just eight starts in his CFL career. Defences will be prepping for him. Can we keep him healthy? He seems to have some elusiveness along with quick reads, and a quick release.

Running back. Loads of good Int RBs available. We do not have a CFL prototype at this point. 210 or so. Explosive runner and receiver. Pretty much like Andrew Harris. Easier said than done.

Receivers. We could be good.

O Line. Dunno. More questions than answers, it seems to me. Who plays centre? Three Nats? Left tackle? This fan would like to see Tommie Draheim at LT. Will the ratio allow that?

Defence. Good personnel. Will we play prevent all the way? Teams will eat that up, it seems to me.

STs. Change could be good, if Simmons can open things up, getting away from the sleepy, bread and butter stuff we have run for years.

This year will be a test case for the legacy of Wally Buono. Could the results be good? Average? Disastrous? Dunno ...