Wally HC/ GM Again

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:Been a fan since 72 or 73 and believe me we have had tougher times. Remember Joe Kapp as GM, terrible. Nelson Skalbania as owner. He wanted to change the name to Vancouver Lions, alienating and insulting fans across province and team almost went under.
Right. It is good to have a balanced perspective on things. In my view, there has been a little too much catastrophizing on this forum about the state of the Lions. True, this was a very disappointing season, and, true, we seem to have been in decline for a while, during which time two unsuccessful head coaches have been on board during this 4-year decline. But blowing the team up/starting over--as some have advocated--is not how we right the ship. In my view, portraying the team as a total mess--"circling the drain," etc.--lacks perspective, as does seeing Wally Buono as completely--or even largely--responsible for our decline. I believe that a few (not a lot) of personnel changes--at the coordinator, position coach, and player levels--will produce a competitive team for 2016.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:Mexico Lions fan why leave? If you are a true fan you stay as Lions fan for life. Been a fan since 72 or 73 and believe me we have had tougher times. Remember Joe Kapp as GM, terrible. Nelson Skalbania as owner. He wanted to change the name to Vancouver Lions, alienating and insulting fans across province and team almost went under.

Boards need contrasting opinions. Leaving because Wally is coach for one year does not make a lot of sense, just my 2 cents. Yes he is a control freak, but has won 5 grey cups and is good coach, better than a GM.

You mentioned no core players since 2003 are connected with the team. You are wrong there. Geroy Simon is with the team and Lou Passaglia is still I think and there may be others.
^^^What he said.

MLF, your decision to leave Lionbackers might have been too hasty. We do not yet know who will be the OC, STC, or if Washington stays (quite likely one would think). At least Washington showed some improved play calling on D late in the season and who knows Wally might let him run a more aggressive D next year...Ok that is most likely fantasy. :bang:

Like Hambone and others I too am conflicted over Tedford leaving. I think Tedford's biggest problem was that he relied too much on his coordinators and they let him down. There were too many strange player personnel decisions and even stranger deployments and we don't know who to point the finger at: GM, HC or assistants. At least with Wally at the helm next year it is all on him.

I would have liked to see Tedford get one more year as HC with his own staff and his own major input and also see what he could have done working with Jennings. It is not to be, so now the hiring of the new OC is critical. I don't think that there are any experienced OC looking for work so I wouldn't mind seeing Jarious Jackson (currently QB coach with Esks) be given a chance at OC with Lulay as QB coach/back up QB. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I believe that Jackson and Lulay working together can come up with schemes on O that will test opposition defenses.

At the end of the day I am just glad that Cortez is gone and I hope that maybe that might be enough to get Harris to stay...I know, wishful thinking again.

I guess McMann is gone too, so that is another plus.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Next question is who else from the coaching staff will be gone.
Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports said this morning that George Cortez will be gone as OC. Previous reports have suggested that Chuck McMann is retiring.
That's a good start. Hope Chapdelaine doesn't return as OC
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:Maybe we see Stubler back as Calgary has let him go too...... ?
Calgary didn't cast him adrift. It was his decision. Next stop is probably a return to Toronto
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote: WB told reporters "the players love me".

WB just confirmed Cortez is not coming back.

Wow, Buono seems to have an inflated ego and self worth.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:WB told reporters "the players love me".
As Price said to Sekeres when relaying that "but we weren't able to see the twinkle in his eye when he said that". Anybody not recognizing Buono said that with tongue in cheek must be new to following the Lions.
True, but whoever is working Wally's Twitter account sure ain't helping the perception of a healthy ego by re-tweeting every encouraging fan Tweet from his coaching announcement!

Don't expect any groundbreaking positional coaching announcements. Wally's MO is to hire guys he knows and are in his comfort zone (the whole Tedford thing will only reinforce this!). As a result, I would be fine with Jarious as our OC. Would also love to see Benny return as our Special Teams coach. I also think bringing Travis back with the organization in this transitional period in any capacity is a must. His leadership is invaluable.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Like many others I have very mixed feeling about today's development. Ideally I would have liked Tedford return with FULL authority to make changes as he deemed necessary. The problem I have with Buono returning to the sidelines is that we might be facing the exact same situation as we find ourselves this year couple of years down the line ie. Wally "retires", promotes one of his assistant as Head Coach, remains as GM and yielding influence behind the scene.
David
Team Captain

So how did we get here? Much ink will be spilled and airtime filled with how this all went down. To me, it had to have been one of two things:

1) A huge rift developed between Tedford and Buono over the course of the year, either a personality clash or differing philosophies. TSN 1040's The Moj believes that it had to do with Tedford's frustration with the low infrastructure budgets in the CFL, although this is a bit of a stretch considering he already played/coached up here.

2) Tedford had a bit of a mutiny on his hands with some or majority of the players. Perhaps the leaders approached Wally with their grievances and Wally realized it was an untenable situation.

Scenario #2 seems unlikely without something being leaked to the media. I also don't think Wally would do something radical like return to the sidelines (after retiring from coaching) if it had everything to do with a 7-11 record.....unless he was completely delusional about the talent and depth here. For all their bluster about "no one wants to face us in the playoffs," the team effectively played to their record and 3rd place standing in Calgary.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Anyone think Steve Buratto as OC and Blake Nill as Special Teams Coordinator/Canadian Draft coordinator have any upside? Buratto has "been there, done that" with the Lions before and Blake Nill is obviously a winner and well acquainted with Canadian talent. Heaven knows the latter needs some upgrades with the Leos.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buratto was an Offensive Coordinator in his previous stint with the Lions and I think he would do an excellent job but I highly doubt Buono will rehire him back. Perhaps if the Players Council approach Buono...................
Rocko604
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:Like many others I have very mixed feeling about today's development. Ideally I would have liked Tedford return with FULL authority to make changes as he deemed necessary. The problem I have with Buono returning to the sidelines is that we might be facing the exact same situation as we find ourselves this year couple of years down the line ie. Wally "retires", promotes one of his assistant as Head Coach, remains as GM and yielding influence behind the scene.
I think (hope) that Buono learned from this experience and that when it comes time for him to retire, he'll be retiring completely.
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Buratto was an Offensive Coordinator in his previous stint with the Lions and I think he would do an excellent job but I highly doubt Buono will rehire him back. Perhaps if the Players Council approach Buono...................
I'd be surprised if any current players had even heard of Burratto. After being fired as head coach here, he was steadily demoted to lower level positions on various teams before going to the university ranks. His CFL record is far from stellar, he's been out of the league for years, and he's in his 70s. So, no to Burratto for me!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Heard on TSN, BC denied Blue Bombers permission to talk to Khari Jones. So look for him to be back as either receivers coach or even OC again. If the latter, I would be disappointed, for was not impressed by his playing calling when he was. They need fresh blood in there, not Jones or Chapdelaine. Going back in time is not the answer. Also if McMann is talked into not retiring and is back big mistake. Special teams were the worse in years for BC, blocked punts, field goals, too many penalties. They must be a change there at the very least.

Expect some personal changes as well, for Buono probably did not like some of Tedford's decisions. Gone for sure is Cam Morrah and one of the import OL. Also think Harris will move on to Calgary or Winnipeg. They also need a Canadian Kicker. Need to draft one or sign Sean Whyte. Why have an import kicker, if he cannot get the job done.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Wow, we will NEVER attract top free agents with Wally wearing 3 hats. What a friggin control freak. Totally disappointed with this announcement. Not only will we lose out on talent, no potential position coaches/coordinators would want to be under his thumb. This club just took 2 steps back IMO. :tp: :bang: :dizzy:
JohnHenry
Champion

The Lions need to hire an OC who has the potential to take over as head coach next season. It's highly unlikely Buono will be coaching next year. They don't want to start all over again with a new regime, so promoting within probably makes sense. Not Chapdelaine or Burrato but I wouldn't mind Dorazio back on OL.

Two names which pop up are P. LaPolice and M. Bellefeuille, both former CFL head coaches and former OC. I thought Bellefeuille did a great job in Hamilton as the HC. He's struggled recently as OC but starting QB's like Marve and Brohm can do that.

I've been suggesting hiring Craig Dickenson as ST-coordinator for years (making his tour of the West teams complete.) He's innovative and his players are well prepared. Dickenson also has the potential for advancement (OC, HC)...although brother Dave may lure him to Cowtown.

I'm glad Wally is back, he's the best coach the Lions have had for a long time. Having the guy who negotiates salaries as head coach might tend to get the player's attention. I'll bet the Lions come out with all guns blazing next season! :thup: