CFL coaching carousel

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

Blitz wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
And I"m sure Khari Jones is no Buono loyalist either.
Khari Jones certainly does not fit into the same type of box as a Chuck McMann or a Mark Washington.

Khari Jones began his pro playing career right here in B.C in 1997 but saw little playing time in his three seasons as a B.C. Lion, relegated to the backup spot behind incumbent quarterback Damon Allen.

But Jones had success in Winnipeg, where he would go on to beat Buono's heavily favored Calgary Stampeders in the 2001 Grey Cup.

After Jones playing days were behind him, his first stint was working as a sideline reporter for CBC's CFL broadcasts.

Jones began his coaching career as the quarterbacks coach for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats under head coach Marcel Bellefeuille in 2009 and served as offensive coordinator in Hamilton in 2011.

Jones was let go in Hamilton after his one season as OC there and then went on to Saskatchewan and served as quarterbacks coach there for two seasons.

Our Leos were not successful in their efforts to sign their first two choices as an OC in 2014 and Jones was hired as our OC in 2014. Jones served for one season as our OC and was demoted to receivers coach, with the hiring of Jeff Tedford, who hired George Cortez as our OC. Tedford worked with our quarterbacks during the 2014 season. Jones was under contract for two seasons and was paid the salary of an OC, while serving as our receivers coach, rather than being released from his contract an paid out.

Jones has only served as an OC for one single season with Hamilton and one single season in B.C. He is not likely viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks. His best and likely only chance to become an OC for next year is here in B.C.

The 2001 Grey Cup was won by Calgary , Winnipeg was heavily favoured that year though.I believe Winnipeg last won the Grey Cup in 1990 vs the Esks.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Been away in hospital. Had surgery for burst appendix on Friday morning at 1.30 am and back home today, but in for long recovery. Plan when I can post on Lions news. Just grateful to be alive for close to dying and still risk for high infection in next 4 to 6 weeks, so not out of the woods yet. Merry Christmas to everyone.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:Been away in hospital. Had surgery for burst appendix on Friday morning at 1.30 am and back home today, but in for long recovery. Plan when I can post on Lions news. Just grateful to be alive for close to dying and still risk for high infection in next 4 to 6 weeks, so not out of the woods yet. Merry Christmas to everyone.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, JM.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Thank you.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:Been away in hospital. Had surgery for burst appendix on Friday morning at 1.30 am and back home today, but in for long recovery. Plan when I can post on Lions news. Just grateful to be alive for close to dying and still risk for high infection in next 4 to 6 weeks, so not out of the woods yet. Merry Christmas to everyone.
Sorry to hear that JM. Glad you are back home for Christmas and all the best in your recovery.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Get well soon. Merry Christmas to all.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani · 1h1 hour ago
The Ottawa RedBlacks announce Jaime Elizondo, last year's Argos WR coach, will be their offensive coordinator. No compensation needed. #CFL
http://coachesinc.com/documents/Jaime%2 ... dacted.pdf

Pretty good resume.

There are guys out there. There is a tendency for us fans to feel some panic, but good leaders find good guys.

For us, we will see how Bellefeuille does here. This fan would categorize Marcel B as a "safe" hire. Safe in that he has lots of CFL experience. Success? Not so much. Anticipation for the fans? Perhaps not so much. We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani · 1h1 hour ago
The Ottawa RedBlacks announce Jaime Elizondo, last year's Argos WR coach, will be their offensive coordinator. No compensation needed. #CFL
http://coachesinc.com/documents/Jaime%2 ... dacted.pdf

Pretty good resume.

There are guys out there. There is a tendency for us fans to feel some panic, but good leaders find good guys.

For us, we will see how Bellefeuille does here. This fan would categorize Marcel B as a "safe" hire. Safe in that he has lots of CFL experience. Success? Not so much. Anticipation for the fans? Perhaps not so much. We will see ...
This is annoying. I would have loved to see someone new, like a Jaime Elizondo given a chance here. Would he be successful? Tough to say, but at least he's new, fresh, potentially innovative. I'm getting tired of the coaching retreads, though that's not necessarily an indictment of Bellefeuille who could be very successful here, it's more personal preference I suppose.
Roar you Lions roar!
maxlion
Legend

According to Farhan Lalji, Marcel B was hired as receiver's coach only. If true, I think it's a good hire. His OC record is underwhelming, but he has a good knowledge of the CFL. OC yet to be announced, though signs are pointing to Jones. Hard to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Cortez than Jones. Perhaps with a better qb to work with, Jones will find more success.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:According to Farhan Lalji, Marcel B was hired as receiver's coach only. If true, I think it's a good hire. His OC record is underwhelming, but he has a good knowledge of the CFL. OC yet to be announced, though signs are pointing to Jones. Hard to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Cortez than Jones. Perhaps with a better qb to work with, Jones will find more success.
I am very glad Cortez is gone. I did not like his play calling and set in his way style. I liked even less that he called plays from the booth not the sideline. I understand that a play caller can see the field better and calculate what the D is doing etc. from high up in the press box and I like to watch games high enough up to get an over view. But I prefer to have a OC at field level and in direct contact with his players.

While I'm on the topic of coaching style, I dislike the fact that Wally is on the sidelines as a HC without a headset and thus not in direct contact with the guys in the booth. He should at least have someone standing beside him who is wearing a headset, but no that is not Wally's style.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kent Austin extended for 4 more years.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://3downnation.com/2016/01/19/austi ... th-ticats/

Comments from fans ...
16 Comments on Austin signs extension with Ticats

Mark // January 19, 2016 at 9:59 am // Reply

I cannot even put into words how fantastic this news is!!!

Flying Wing // January 19, 2016 at 11:00 am // Reply

As a season ticket holder and long time Ticat fan I feel this is good news and that continuity is greatly under exaggerated in professional sports. But then I don’t have to work with the man. Don’t know how you are going to feel Drew with the possibility of four more years of snarky comments and rolled eyeballs. Good luck.

TFMCB // January 19, 2016 at 11:16 am // Reply

I thought that Austin was much more relaxed and generally pleasant with the media last season – at least pretty much every media clip that I saw even after the EDF loss in Ottawa.

TFMCB // January 19, 2016 at 11:19 am // Reply

This is indeed good news but given Austin’s comments post season about not going anywhere and loving his job, I’m not surprised. It was just a matter of time. Given the large number of free agents he is dealing with, he likely put his own deal on the “back burner”. He has certainly earned this extension.

JEFF MAY // January 19, 2016 at 11:22 am // Reply

Christmas morning all over again! We are very lucky! It has been awhile since we have had stability with a winning coach! Anyone who doesn’t agree can turn around and get the heck out of here!

Martin Chapman // January 19, 2016 at 11:26 am // Reply

Good news for the Tiger-Cats!

Flying Wildcat // January 19, 2016 at 11:47 am // Reply

Not to worry @Flying Wing,

Drew just needs to sit down with Austin during this off season where they can review The Gospel According to Kent and Drew can “get his stupid questions out” early.

Then, together they can prepare a couple of lists of “something that’s more pertinent” questions for the upcoming season. One for right after wins and the other for right after losses.

Ticat Mike // January 19, 2016 at 11:59 am // Reply

This is very good news as it stabilizes the management and head coaching for the next 4 years. A foundation has been built and hopefully, they’ll be able to retain the key components of their nucleus & continue to improve from there.

Zuger Fan // January 19, 2016 at 1:39 pm // Reply

I think that this is great news. I have no problem with Austin’s intensity. He is “on message” 95% of the time … and 5% of the time we get an authentic glimpse of his passion for winning. No problem with that at all.

Drew, we are all so hungry for news … we will accept mere speculation … I am a bit surprised that the club has not announced more free agent signings. If I understand the process correctly those qualified can start signing with other clubs in mid-Feb … so I was hoping to read that we had at least a couple of the key players under contract before then. So what says the rumour mill?

Mikefrmthhammer // January 19, 2016 at 3:46 pm // Reply

FA begins 12:00 PM on Tuesday Feb 9.

Lots of FA on every team at this point. We’ll likely will lose a player or to two to a team with a real need to upgrade (even though the salary cap is only increasing by $50K this year) – and a one or more to the NFL. With the team’s proven ability to find and sign new first class talent over the last 3 years, while I won’t like losing any player, in Kent I trust. ;)

TFMCB // January 19, 2016 at 5:04 pm // Reply

Agree with you completely Mike – hate to lose players but it is a reality of this business and a limited cap.

XRILEY // January 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm // Reply

What great news Coach Austin staying with the no# 1 team and will make us even better.

Terry Baxter // January 19, 2016 at 2:01 pm // Reply

With Swayze looking south, look for Medlock to sign with the Argos. No doubt he is waiting to test Free agency. He is key to our success so I am sure they have tried to sign him. Hope I’m wrong but if Swayze goes south Medlock will be an Argo.

Philski // January 19, 2016 at 3:41 pm // Reply

Totally subjective opinion but it would not surprise me to see Medlock playing on the west coast next season. He is from California, as is his wife I believe. Playing in a dome stadium for half the schedule would certainly be attractive to him as well. I know that Wally wasn’t too thrilled with Leone’s place kicking last season and he is certainly not afraid of change.

Eddy Rayner // January 19, 2016 at 3:20 pm // Reply

@TB … I would think Medlock would be looking south of the border if he wants to improve his economic situation. Not sure switching CFL teams would make enough of an upgrade. Only downside to Kent’s contract … it would increase the likelihood of losing Coach O to an HC role somewhere else.

Philski // January 19, 2016 at 3:26 pm // Reply

Good news indeed. Even though Austin comes from Massachusetts he is a Hamilton kind of guy. Fits right into that blue collar mentality. Wants to win and embraces the city and it’s fans. Perhaps the odd player has been shown the door but for the most part the players respect and want to play for him. May be a bold prediction on my part but I believe he will add 2 more GC rings on his fingers before his 4 year tenure is complete. 2016, Year of the Cat – right Jeff May? :)
My take: Austin on his best behaviour. It does not seem to come naturally to him. Ha ha The TiCats fans seem stoked. They should be. He competes at the highest level.

maxlion
Legend

The carousel has seemed to have slowed. For what it is worth, here is my take on the winners and losers.

Big winner: Riders. Took entire coaching staff from cup winners, plus proven personnel man in Murphy.
Runner up: Argos. Kept strong pieces and subbed Stubler for Creehan.
Honourable Mention: Bombers - Lapolice likely an upgrade on Bellefeuille. Ticats - only team with no turnover.

Big loser: Stamps. Was going to say Esks, but after scoring Maas and Benevides, they seem not too much the worse for wear. Stamps, on the other hand, lose Stubler and Murphy, and replace Hufnagel HC with Dickenson. No doubt DD is a good football mind, but not as sure that he has the drive or temperament to be HC.
Runner up: Esks. Recovered from losses well, but lots of pieces to replace. Results tbd.
Honourable mentions: Ott - loses Maas. BC - mediocre fill ins for departing staff. MTL - Weak to start with, lose Dinwoodie, and Thorpe prevented from bolting by commish.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:The carousel has seemed to have slowed. For what it is worth, here is my take on the winners and losers.

Big winner: Riders. Took entire coaching staff from cup winners, plus proven personnel man in Murphy.
Honourable Mention: Bombers - Lapolice likely an upgrade on Bellefeuille. Ticats - only team with no turnover.

Big loser: Stamps. Was going to say Esks, but after scoring Maas and Benevides, they seem not too much the worse for wear. Stamps, on the other hand, lose Stubler and Murphy, and replace Hufnagel HC with Dickenson. No doubt DD is a good football mind, but not as sure that he has the drive or temperament to be HC.
Runner up: Esks. Recovered from losses well, but lots of pieces to replace. Results tbd.
Honourable mentions: Ott - loses Maas. BC - mediocre fill ins for departing staff. MTL - Weak to start with, lose Dinwoodie, and Thorpe prevented from bolting by commish.
Good analysis. It will be interesting to see how the rookie head coaches fare in Calgary and Edmonton. Saskatchewan might have the best staff but can they turn the league's worst team around in one year?

Wally probably has a lot more experience than the other eight head coaches combined but his coordinators still have to prove themselves.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:The carousel has seemed to have slowed. For what it is worth, here is my take on the winners and losers.

Sounds pretty good, max.

In no particular order, some thoughts on the coaching staffs:

Riders. My only doubt about Jones is his stale date, his shelf life. Don't know yet if he has a point at which he loses the players. His take no prisoners style is high risk for an organization. Total turnover, but very promising.

Argos. IMO as long as Milanovich is there, the team is in good hands. Barker deserves credit also. Steady as the Boatmen go.

TiCats. Austin might have a stale date also. His intensity might have a limited shelf life. But the TiCats are showing the results of his high football acumen so far. Steady.

Bombers? Dunno. Dunno about O'Shea. Don't even know if LaPolice is at the top level as an OC. Not much to brag about under O'Shea so far, it seems to me.

Stamps. Dave D is unproven as a HC. He has ridden on Hufnagel's coattails so far. Losing Stubler --> Ouch.

RedBlacks. They might be fine with Elizondo and Nelson as OC and DC. Desjardins and Campbell seem to be the ones that deserve the credit there. Burris also, big time.

Eskimos. Maas is unproven as a HC. Benny can show his own style in Edmonton, out from the shadow of Wally Buono. Complete turnover. Unknown commodity.

Lions. Wally redux. Khari as OC? Dunno. Mark W as DC. Hmmmm ... Got some big time doubts there. He has a sizable track record to look at as well. Will we be the most conservative team in the league next year? LOL Maybe. Will we be confused at times? Will steady, play it safe Wally save the day? It will be interesting. For many fans, the developments do not look good. Could the results be good, fair, disastrous? Who knows?

Alouettes. They keep Thorpe. :thup: IMO Calvillo is unproven as an OC. D should be good. And aggressive. Offence? Dunno.