Grey Cup, Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

VictoriaFan wrote:maybe I'm just getting old but was having FalloutBoys at halftime another Beiber like ploy to get teenage girls to watch the CFL? The only thing good was the pyro technics. Then after the game I went to see King Crimson, hmmm maybe I am getting too old.
You're probably just a 21st Century schizoid man.
CardiacKid
Legend

I was hoping Neil Young and Crazy Horse would be the half-time show. I thought it only fitting a Winnipeg native be chosen but someone who is still very relevant to today's audience as well as having appeal to the "ahem" older generation. Plus he can rock out and is a little crotchety....purrfect football music.

I think where the CFL and Grey Cup has it over the NFL and the Super Bowl is the half-time entertainment. Simply for the reason they keep it relatively straight-forward and avoid the huge excess that is all too common with the Super Bowl. The band or performer goes on stage and performs and whether they are your cup of tea or not, at least it is fairly true to what they are. The NFL half-time shows are usually this half-baked piece of monstrous, over-produced dreck that leaves you shaking your head. The only Super Bowl Half-time show I ever enjoyed was Prince and that was because there wasn't anything going on other than his performance.

Black-Eyed Peas at the Grey Cup were okay but at the Super Bowl?!?! Atrocious and truly terrible, one of the all-time worst performances you could ever hope to see. Katy Perry? What the hell is with the dolphins or whatever it was that joined her on stage last year. It is like a John Waters Musical and bad acid trip all rolled into one.

Fall Out Boy are not a band I listen to but at least it was an honest show without a huge BS quotient that leaves you ROTFL.
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:I think where the CFL and Grey Cup has it over the NFL and the Super Bowl is the half-time entertainment. Simply for the reason they keep it relatively straight-forward and avoid the huge excess that is all too common with the Super Bowl. The band or performer goes on stage and performs and whether they are your cup of tea or not, at least it is fairly true to what they are. The NFL half-time shows are usually this half-baked piece of monstrous, over-produced dreck that leaves you shaking your head. The only Super Bowl Half-time show I ever enjoyed was Prince and that was because there wasn't anything going on other than his performance.
Black-Eyed Peas at the Grey Cup were okay but at the Super Bowl?!?! Atrocious and truly terrible, one of the all-time worst performances you could ever hope to see. Katy Perry? What the hell is with the dolphins or whatever it was that joined her on stage last year. It is like a John Waters Musical and bad acid trip all rolled into one.
Fall Out Boy are not a band I listen to but at least it was an honest show without a huge BS quotient that leaves you ROTFL.
Agreed that Prince (and U2 in 2002 )

were among the best SB performers.
The Katy Perry Left Shark-Right Shark turned out to be high-concept art, if you can believe this explanation:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/62183-ka ... -hilarious
As far as Fall Out Boy at the GC, I've only heard 2 of their songs before and they performed them. They are a lower tier performer than Imagine Dragons was last year. I don't really place much importance on if they are Can-Con or not, we aren't the target market anyway. The objective is to get non-football fans to tune in and watch it.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Lions4ever wrote:
VictoriaFan wrote:maybe I'm just getting old but was having FalloutBoys at halftime another Beiber like ploy to get teenage girls to watch the CFL? The only thing good was the pyro technics. Then after the game I went to see King Crimson, hmmm maybe I am getting too old.
You're probably just a 21st Century schizoid man.

I know, that was one of the encore songs ! :thup:
zeppo
Starter

pennw wrote: I noticed this too . In fact I noticed the Stamps as well as almost very other Team , also play the same sort of defence , rushing just 3 , dropping 8or 9 a lot

So.....when Chris Jones calls this type of defence, he is a genius who the Lions should have hired when he was available three years ago.
But when Mark Washington calls exactly the same type of defence, he is a bum who should be fired. Anybody want to try and explain
this to me?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't think that there is a person who would say that a 3 man rush doesn't have a place somewhere in the arsenal but the use of that seems to be predicated on two things.

1. having three huge horses that can still bring pressure
2. having to stop the long ball

A decent Qb will be able to complete for 2 and 7 all day long. Giving a 3 man rush just allows for extra time for 2nd, 3rd and so on reads. The best way defeat that QB is to take away the luxury of time and too often in my opinion, we go into this kind of prevent defense and it isn't successful. The best way to run this is to line up 4 and drop out one. When you line up three, you are basically telling the QB that he is going to have time. It has a place but IMO it is used way too often in a game and good teams will defeat it more often than not when they have to get less than 10 yards.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

zeppo wrote:
pennw wrote: I noticed this too . In fact I noticed the Stamps as well as almost very other Team , also play the same sort of defence , rushing just 3 , dropping 8or 9 a lot

So.....when Chris Jones calls this type of defence, he is a genius who the Lions should have hired when he was available three years ago.
But when Mark Washington calls exactly the same type of defence, he is a bum who should be fired. Anybody want to try and explain
this to me?
First, a disclaimer...I am in no way, shape or form a playbook/scheme/strategic football guru.

But having watched the game for awhile now, my thinking with the 3-man rush and dropping guys back into coverage is it is predicated on 2nd and long. The offense is left looking at 2nd and 20 or more (maybe 2nd and 15)....that is when the above play is legitimate.

There were a couple of occasions in the West Semi when the Lions D rushed 3 and dropped guys on 2nd down but with less than 10 to get the first down. It left me befuddled....