CFL New Logo

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:No need to fix what wasn't broken, but then again that seems to be the first item on the agenda of management everywhere nowadays.
Exactly !
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:This fan likes the 2003-2015 CFL logo much better than the new one.

Sense of movement vs chopped off, colourless, grey. 2016 --> Tiny partial maple leaf. Flat, boring letters.

NFL. I like the new one better. Fewer stars = less clutter. Football looks better, cleaner. Letters similar, but better without the flourish on the L.

NHL. I like the old one better. Stronger colours. Although the shape of the new one is stronger IMO.

Nice work, sj. :thup:

I love logos. They communicate a lot in a glance. Picture > Words.
With the previous NFL shield, it was never clear to me what the 25 stars (including the ones overlapped by the ball) represented, it just seemed that was how many it took of the chosen size to fill the area. The new one with eight larger stars in two groups of four is meant to represent the two conferences with four divisions each. The flourish on the L never worked for me, either, only made it look like the lower case letter b. National Film Board? There's an earlier cersion of the NFL logo where the flourish on the L is even more pronounced and the letters have red vertical pinstripes cutting through them. Even worse.

On the NHL, I think the most significant change to the shield is not the colour or the shape, but the fact that the N H L lettering is now flowing UPWARD rather than downward on the old one. The newer style sends a subtle message of ascendancy, opposite to the old one. The serifs in the new lettering also convey a sense of upward motion. The Canucks skate logo has the word Canucks rising, but the skate itself is pointing downhill in the opposite direction, which during the era that logo was in use, was occasionally taken as a metaphor for the team's performance in their leaner times.

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Well, I don't think the new logo is anything to write home about, but...we weren't given the rationale for changing it. I suspect this wasn't change for change's sake and that a lot of little things played into the design. The new logo, frankly, will work beautifully as an avatar on Twitter/Facebook, etc., and is a smart design in that the visual focus is 'CFL' rather than the red of the maple leaf/football. A grey and black logo, with the tinniest bit of red is probably easier for producing branded clothing as well. It doesn't really clash with much. So maybe that was a consideration?

It'll grow on us.

Cheers,

James
That's pretty much what I meant with my comment of the new logo travelling well across digital platforms.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Looks like something my 9 year old would draw.
You're a bad parent for insulting your kid like that.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: :thup: "What We're Made Of" slogan. It taps into some passionate Canadian pride.
What are we made of?

Improper grammar, apparently!
CardiacKid
Legend

Might be too late to get your submissions in but Kamloops This Week wants to see your artistic impression/inspiration based on the new logo.

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/how-bad ... creations/

The title of the article is "How bad is the new CFL logo? So bad we are asking KTW readers to send in their creations". Kinda gives you an inkling of how they feel about it.

I was prepared to let it grow on me.....but unlike a bad case of athletes foot, it hasn't taken root.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Might be too late to get your submissions in but Kamloops This Week wants to see your artistic impression/inspiration based on the new logo.

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/how-bad ... creations/

The title of the article is "How bad is the new CFL logo? So bad we are asking KTW readers to send in their creations". Kinda gives you an inkling of how they feel about it.

I was prepared to let it grow on me.....but unlike a bad case of athletes foot, it hasn't taken root.
Some reactions to the logo ...

Bland is good? Bland is exciting? No. Bland is inspirational? No.

Grey? The ideal bland colour.

Chopped off football? Ooohhhh ... artistic? No. LOL

Tiny little, itty bitty, chopped off maple leaf? Hmmmm ... Weak?

Big CFL letters? Wow. Powerful? Too late to save the logo from blandness.

Stylistic laces? Oooohhh Cool. LOL

So somehow this weak logo passed all the tests. I guess it was one those things where it had to satisfy a committee, with watered down results. Art that communicates powerfully cannot come from a committee. So it seems to me.

FAIL. Can it grow on a person? Anything is possible. But I am not sure if it grows on a person, that makes it a good logo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MikeAK
All Star

Some of you gents are a lot kinder than I am. I think it stinks. Like Fn' garbage. This one will not grow on me. I could have done better with lipstick and a bar napkin. Utterly disgusted with it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The new grey logo reminds me of a 1950s black-and-white television screen.
maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
I don't get how any corporate logos could be exciting or inspiring, so perhaps I shouldn't speak on this, but I do think that a lot of people get too fixated on the logo and fail to see it as just one small part of larger marketing strategy. Looking at just the logo on it's own is like looking at the wheel of a car--it's how it functions as part of the whole machine that counts.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
I don't get how any corporate logos could be exciting or inspiring, so perhaps I shouldn't speak on this, but I do think that a lot of people get too fixated on the logo and fail to see it as just one small part of larger marketing strategy. Looking at just the logo on it's own is like looking at the wheel of a car--it's how it functions as part of the whole machine that counts.
You don't get it, max? Perhaps it is beauty only in the eye of the beholder. They talk to me, and to many others, apparently.

Fixated? That shows some power.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here is a good one ... Apple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.