Biggie wins MODP

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I would prefer to see the league go to the MLB model of award disbursement — it's probably the one thing they execute best in their PR strategy. Wait until the postseason is over, then roll out the name of each winner one day at a time, starting with rookie of the year, culminating in the MOP announcement on the final day.

This would create extra media run rather than announcing all the winners at one event during Grey Cup Week when the media already has plenty of stuff to cover anyway. The awards night event (which apparently isn't even televised anymore) seems like an inefficient deployment of assets to me.
Personally, I like an official awards ceremony as it is in the CFL and NHL. Because in the NHL playoffs the schedule is unknown as we don't know which teams will reach the finals, etc it makes sense that the ceremony is done after the final game. But I think it's good to hold the awards ceremony on before the big game, as the Grey Cup game should be the final event for the season.
The problem is that it uses up too much ammunition all in one shot, so to speak. You only get one day of media run out of it by having everything awarded all at once. For the CFL it's even worse because you're already getting plenty of media run during Grey Cup Week anyway. If you're a business and you want to maximise the impact of your message, you want to spread that out. More opportunities to be ingrained into the public consciousness.

Re: the coach's award won by Rick Campbell; does this represent a shift of the usual timing of the coach of the year award from deep into the off-season, or will that one be continuing with the present one being selected by a different group of voters? Kind of like in the NHL how the Hart Trophy (MVP) is voted on by beat writers while the Lindsay Award is the MVP as chosen by the NHLPA.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL Awards are a big part of Grey Cup week for me, and something I always look forward to. It gives players of non-Grey Cup teams a reason to attend the festival and share in the media spotlight. Being in an auditorium with other nominees and getting to go on stage to claim your prize and give an acceptance speech is a lot better than receiving a league press release on an offseason weekday morning announcing that you're the winner. For the same reason, I like the inclusion of the coach of the year into this year's ceremony. It used to be awarded at league meetings in February but fans were excluded. I didn't know it was being changed this year but I like it.
Big Time
Champion

Robbie wrote:
How about championship rings now? This is the 2014 Calgary Stampeders Grey Grey ring and I'd say for the first time, a Chinese character appears and the word for horse is etched on the ring:

And even though the Seahawks had to settle for the runner-up for the Super Bowl last season they still got a very generous NFC championship ring with numerous diamonds.
The Stampeder's 2014 ring is a beauty. Not only is it elegant, but they came up with a unique design that different from the previous few years.

Interestingly, BC's 2011 Grey Cup ring was one of the greatest championship ring designs I have ever seen, which is actually why I use it as my avatar. It was absolutely gorgeous:

Other teams seemed to agree, because in 2012, the Argos used the exact same design. Braley trying to cut some design costs perhaps?

Naturally, because the Riders can't do anything original, the took the exact same design for 2013:

It was nice to see what the Stamps did last year, and I guess we will see what the Esks come up with for 2015. As long as they don't go with the atrocities created by the Alouettes the last two times, they will be fine.

Cover your eyes when looking at these two rings, possibly the most hideous in Grey Cup history:

2010 Montreal Alouettes

2009 Montreal Alouettes