KCU Vanier Cup Preview - UBC v. Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

instant classic finish brewing
aklawitter
All Star

unreal turnaround as Blake Nill takes a 2-6 team last season to Vanier Cup champs
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Vanier Cup champs!!!! Blake Nilll with one of the most remarkable turnaround seasons I have ever seen in any level of sports.

Fantastic game and this young UBC team is a dynasty in the making.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

UBC National Champions
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'm sure some of us are UBC alumni, so congratulations!!!

:beauty: :rockin: :yahoo: :beer: :wave: :cool: :thup:

After blowing leads of 16-0 and 23-10, it's good that the Thunderbirds came out in end. After the Thunderbirds penultimate drive that resulted in a 10-yard loss on a 3rd down and not getting at least a field goal, I was apprehensive that Montreal will drive down the field with the championship drive with 1:32. But amazing....after the Thunderbirds defence was totally flat in the 2nd half they came up big with the interception to give UBC possession again and this time, there were no mistakes.

This will be their fourth Vanier Cup after winning it in 1982, 1986, 1997, and now 2015.
Who remembers November 1997 - the last time the Thunderbirds won the Vanier Cup?

Tom Renney was the coach of the Canucks and the team went through a 10 game losing streak and as a result Pat Quinn and Tom Renney were fired and that was the 2nd of 4 consecutive seasons the Canucks didn't make the playoffs. Lions were not good at 8-10 but qualified for the crossover, and lost the EDSF to the Alouettes. And despite the fact that UBC won the Vanier Cup, all the media attention was focused not on the win but because of a negative incident - the protests at UBC where they hosted the APEC Economic Leaders' Meetings as they disliked Suharto and the RCMP had to use pepper spray to deal with the protesters.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Big Time
Champion

Very proud of my alma mater today! Well done T-Birds!!!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Very proud of my alma mater today! Well done T-Birds!!!
Oh, I didn't know you were a UBC alumni. Will you buy a lot of souvenirs now from the UBC bookstore?
And given the fact that it was not a blowout and that Montreal fought back to tie the game....did you almost suffer a heart attack again like the 2004 WDF?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

X2
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
X2
X3

Moi aussi. :thup:

Well done, Blake Nill. And Steve Buratto.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
X2
X3
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When it comes to athletes who share not-so-popular surnames, I've always if they are related and in this case, there is a relation. Thunderbirds coach Blake Nill is the brother of former Canuck Jim Nill, who scored a 2OT goal in the 1982 Campbell Conference finals against Chicago, and whose stick was used by Roger Neilson to hoist a white towel.

By kicking Vanier Cup championship field goal, will Quinn van Gylswyk will become a household name 10 years from now?
Unless he goes on for a long career in the CFL...unfortunately not.

QB Michael O’Connor was named MVP of the game and Stavros Katsantonis was named defensive player of the game. Let's see which team will draft them and if they will have careers in the CFL.

------------------------------
Good to see that the local media, CBC, Province, Sun, all immediately put the win as their headlines:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3341943
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

The only thing that wasn't all that good was the attendance of 12,557 at Telus Stadium at Laval University.
祝你龍年行大運。
Blitz
Team Captain

What an exciting game and a thrilling finish. Congrats UBC - you played your hearts out to win it all.

UBC had a very talented young quarterback, some very good receivers, a gutsy running back and most importantly they played as a team.

But quite frankly Montreal had way more talent and size, especially on the defensive and offensive lines, where UBC was badly undersized.

This was a game that showed how important coaching is. In fact UBC`s successful turnaround this season shows how important coaching is. They believed in their coaches and they had good reason to believe in them. Great game plan, excellent scheming and play calling, as well as playing with tremendous heart led to a national championship victory.

It was a treat to watch.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rocko604
Rookie

Congrats UBC!! Momentum was clearly with Montreal in the second half, so glad they hung on.

Also, how in the hell, in a Quebec stadium with a Quebec team playing, does the game get officiated by a crew from the Quebec conference? That was unbelievable. They should have been from the OAU or AUS.
Big Time
Champion

Robbie wrote:
Oh, I didn't know you were a UBC alumni. Will you buy a lot of souvenirs now from the UBC bookstore?
And given the fact that it was not a blowout and that Montreal fought back to tie the game....did you almost suffer a heart attack again like the 2004 WDF?
Do you have some sort of problem with me?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Do you have some sort of problem with me?
No, not at all. Just making friendly conversations about the past and the present. :cool:
祝你龍年行大運。