KCU Vanier Cup Preview - UBC v. Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

Robbie wrote: No, not at all. Just making friendly conversations about the past and the present. :cool:
That's a relief. Your post nearly gave me a heart attack. :rotf: :rockin:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Dylan Chapdelaine related to anyone we know ??
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Is Dylan Chapdelaine related to anyone we know ??
Well, all I can say is that he is NOT related to former Lions offensive coordinator that many of you would often criticize and may hold a grudge with since 1983.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Speaking of the individual trophies on the other thread, I'd say that even the CIS individual trophies including the two Vanier Cup MVP award trophies on either side of the Vanier Cup and one for the 2013 winners are bigger and appear more prestigious than the small crystal trophies and plaques used for the individual CFL awards.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:What an exciting game and a thrilling finish. Congrats UBC - you played your hearts out to win it all.

UBC had a very talented young quarterback, some very good receivers, a gutsy running back and most importantly they played as a team.

But quite frankly Montreal had way more talent and size, especially on the defensive and offensive lines, where UBC was badly undersized.

This was a game that showed how important coaching is. In fact UBC`s successful turnaround this season shows how important coaching is. They believed in their coaches and they had good reason to believe in them. Great game plan, excellent scheming and play calling, as well as playing with tremendous heart led to a national championship victory.

It was a treat to watch.
That game and the UBC playoff run as a whole was just a treat to watch. O'Connor is special. There was buzz a few weeks ago NCAA schools would be trying to lure him back to the States to finish his career. Not surprised after seeing his exposure, field vision and arm strength. So great seeing Steve Buratto get to work with him too.

If O'Connor stays this is a dynasty in the making. So many key players are eligible to return and just wait to see the talent Nill lures in for year #2 after winning the Vanier. Van Gylswyk, Loffler, Watson and Davis all BC boys and bluechip CFL prospects. Lions better be paying attention.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Highlight showing UBC RB Brandon Deschamps doing a 44-yard TD run and with the conversion giving the Thunderbirds a 23-10 lead early in the 3rd quarter.
[video][/video]
That would be the last UBC score until the game-winning FG.
祝你龍年行大運。
Rocko604
Rookie

Robbie wrote: The only thing that wasn't all that good was the attendance of 12,557 at Telus Stadium at Laval University.
CIS made a huge mistake by not keeping the partnership with the CFL and having the game at the Grey Cup site. The 2011 and 2012 Vanier Cups brought in attendance and TV numbers which they can only dream about now with having the game on Sportsnet and playing the game in Quebec every year (because Laval are always the favourites).
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Have you ever looked up team staff member's e-mail and sent a message of congratulations if they won an award or a championship? That's what I did for the coaching staff of the UBC Thunderbirds http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/roster.aspx?path=football. I wrote several congratulatory messages to the coaches and staff and a few of them responded.
WestCoastJoe wrote:And Steve Buratto.
And I sent a message of congratulations to Steve Buratto and in that message, I also said congratulations to him once again for the amazing and underappreciated 2000 Grey Cup playoff run and win. He was the first to reply as two days later he wrote to me:
Steve Buratto in response to my congratulatory message wrote:Thank you very much. Our players deserve all the praise for hanging in when we did not play very well early in the season. Like 2000 they kept working hard, improving and learning how to win so by playoff time they were a pretty good team. We had some luck along the way however we were able to take advantage of those lucky plays and bring home a win.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Small but decent ceremony celebrating UBC winning the Vanier Cup. :yahoo:
[video][/video]
I would have loved a piece of the two large cakes.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I always like and appreciate it when a local team honours a championship won by another fellow local team.

In 2006 and 2011, the Canucks and Rogers Arena held a ceremony for the Lions Grey Cup win. Well, this year there was no Lions Grey Cup win but instead, UBC winning the Vanier Cup and the Canucks invited the Thunderbirds to bring their Vanier Cup trophy for a celebration during the intermission, which included an interview coach Blake Nill. The scoreboard replay screen shows the game winning field goal. :rockin:
[video][/video]
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Certainly a huge blast at the Colony Bar in Kitsilano when the Vanier Cup-winning field goal was scored.
[video][/video]
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Shortly after winning the Vanier Cup, UBC Thunderbirds head coach Blake Nill brought the trophy and gave a speech to members of Football BC.
[video][/video]
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The 2015 UBC Thunderbirds were presented with very large and generous championship rings for winning the Vanier Cup.
[video][/video]

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/ubc- ... cup-rings/

祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

UBC recently announced their new president, Santa Ono. In light of UBC winning the Vanier Cup last year, I wonder if he will pledge to give more funding to the athletic department and improve the chances of winning another Vanier Cup and other CIS championships. My belief is that he will continue the trend of previous UBC presidents with limited funding for athletics and more funding on academics and he just stated that will tackle students' personal issues like rape culture and depression.
祝你龍年行大運。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: he just stated that will tackle students' personal issues like rape culture and depression.
I guess things have changed at UBC since my day. At that time the "rape culture and depression" usually revolved around the cost of curriculum textbooks at the UBC bookstore.