West Final

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Everything has a cycle to it. Hopefully, we are near the bottom of our journey. It really does underscore how important it is to have the right leadership in place. Wally Buono has done some great things for this team over the years but what is happening now is eerily familiar to what happened to him in Calgary. He was of course struggling with a management that was over it's head I know but it also seemed as though Buono's act and style had gotten stale. A number of disappointing finishes to seasons where the Stamps were expected to take it all and failed. Excuses and evasions were the order of the day. Sometimes, things need to change to stay fresh. Buono wouldn't be beyond helping other teams in this league (Sask, Bombers for ex.) but a fresh approach seems to be required here. Too many players both past and present that feel like they are basically chess pieces that are at the whim of one person and who can be sacrificed at anytime as soon as their usefulness begins to wane.
I don't see us as hitting the bottom yet as long as the current management team is still in place.
Exactly.

Only 3 possibilities can happen here.

We continue in our current trend - I think one more season of this kind of merry-go round = Wally gone
We suddenly improve - Problem solved (unlikely)
New ownership comes in - probably means that Wally stays for awhile until ownership group is established and then the is gone. Sooner if the team struggles badly.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Staying past one's welcome?

Past the best before date?

Thinking it was all about him? Thinking he can put together a winning staff once again? Thinking offbeat ideas are going to be revolutionary, or even effective? Thinking old ideas will still win the day?

Just plain stubborn?

The owner won't give the boot. The President won't give the boot. Won't give the boot to oneself. Some of the fans would make the break. Some of the fans are long time loyal.

Just keep on going? Hang in there long enough and the makings of a champion will magically appear once again?

It does seem to be kind of an unusual situation in the world of professional sports. What have you done lately does not seem to apply.

I think this situation disregards changes in the game. Old style culture. Old style coaching. Old style game planning. Old style systems. Old style philosophy. Old style cronyism. Should be good for one more title, right?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.