Free Agent Signings

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionsfan65
Starter

New guy here
My top free agents are:
1. Josh Bourke
2. Justin Capicciotti
3. Keith Shologan
4. Courtney Stephen

Bourke gives the Lions a national at left tackle, allowing them to start an import at center with Foster. I know there is some concern about his age, however he is the same age as Ben Archibald when we signed him in 2011 and he took our o line to another level in 2011 and 2012.

So my projected starting o-line would be:
LT: Bourke(N)
LG: Steward(N)
C: Foster(I)
RG: Fabien(N)
RT: Olafioye(I)

Justin Capicciotti gives the Lions a much needed outside pass rusher, something they have badly needed since Keron Williams. He's a Canadian kid too.

Keith Shologan has quietly been one of the most dominant interior defensive linemen over the past 6 seasons, having a career year with Ottawa last year with 26 tackles and 7 sacks. Of course Ted Laurent would be nice to have, however as mentioned before, just about every team will make him an offer an the bidding will likely get out of hand.

With Shologan and Capicciotti the projected D line would look like this:
DE: Roh(I)
NT: Shologan(N)
DT: Brooks(I)
DE: Capicciotti (N)

with Menard, Bazzie, and Westerman as rotational guys.

Courtney Stephen would give the Lions national depth and would likely start at the wide corner spot with the starting secondary looking like this:
CB: Yell(I)
CB: Stephen(N)
DB: Phillips(I)
DB: Lee(I)
S: Fraser(N)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionsfan65 wrote:New guy here
My top free agents are:
1. Josh Bourke
2. Justin Capicciotti
3. Keith Shologan
4. Courtney Stephen

Bourke gives the Lions a national at left tackle, allowing them to start an import at center with Foster. I know there is some concern about his age, however he is the same age as Ben Archibald when we signed him in 2011 and he took our o line to another level in 2011 and 2012.

So my projected starting o-line would be:
LT: Bourke(N)
LG: Steward(N)
C: Foster(I)
RG: Fabien(N)
RT: Olafioye(I)

Justin Capicciotti gives the Lions a much needed outside pass rusher, something they have badly needed since Keron Williams. He's a Canadian kid too.

Keith Shologan has quietly been one of the most dominant interior defensive linemen over the past 6 seasons, having a career year with Ottawa last year with 26 tackles and 7 sacks. Of course Ted Laurent would be nice to have, however as mentioned before, just about every team will make him an offer an the bidding will likely get out of hand.

With Shologan and Capicciotti the projected D line would look like this:
DE: Roh(I)
NT: Shologan(N)
DT: Brooks(I)
DE: Capicciotti (N)

with Menard, Bazzie, and Westerman as rotational guys.

Courtney Stephen would give the Lions national depth and would likely start at the wide corner spot with the starting secondary looking like this:
CB: Yell(I)
CB: Stephen(N)
DB: Phillips(I)
DB: Lee(I)
S: Fraser(N)
Good post. Welcome. The only player on your list that I wouldn't target is Keith Shologan. I'm happy with Brooks and Minter inside. I would definitely target Capicciotti as one starter at defensive end. The other DE spot is wide open but with Westerman, Menard, Mrabure-Ajufo and Forde on the roster, the Lions could start two nationals and push Roh or Bazzie off the roster.

I like your projected O-line with Bourke as the third national starter and your secondary with Stephen as a national corner in place of the departed international Steven Clarke.
Lionsfan65
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:Good post. Welcome. The only player on your list that I wouldn't target is Keith Shologan. I'm happy with Brooks and Minter inside. I would definitely target Capicciotti as one starter at defensive end. The other DE spot is wide open but with Westerman, Menard, Mrabure-Ajufo and Forde on the roster, the Lions could start two nationals and push Roh or Bazzie off the roster.

I like your projected O-line with Bourke as the third national starter and your secondary with Stephen as a national corner in place of the departed international Steven Clarke.
Thanks B.C. FAN, I agree that once we started playing Minter last season, our d line actually looked half decent. I don't think Shologan would be much of an upgrade skill wise over Minter, just that he has a Canadian passport, and Wally is not likely to break the bank signing Laurent.

That being said having 2 Canadian starters in the secondary and/or on the D-line would allow the lions to play an import at running back. Import running backs are a dime a dozen and I would just as soon pay 4 import running backs with the money they would have paid Harris.
David
Team Captain

Lionsfan65 wrote:....Import running backs are a dime a dozen and I would just as soon pay 4 import running backs with the money they would have paid Harris.
Looks like Andrew definitely won't be back in The Den. Likely done here in BC, per Farhan Lalji tonight.
Farhan Lalji wrote:Buono says #BCLions unlikely to make an offer to Andrew Harris: “I dont believe that we will." A Travis Lulay return sounds likely. @TSN1040
I was good with signing Harris in the $150K range, but anything over $200K doesn't seem like a good deal for a veteran back who severely injured his ankle 18 months ago). Could this mean a Shaq Murray-Lawrence trade isn't far behind?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote: Looks like Andrew definitely won't be back in The Den. Likely done here in BC, per Farhan Lalji tonight.
Farhan Lalji wrote:Buono says #BCLions unlikely to make an offer to Andrew Harris: “I dont believe that we will." A Travis Lulay return sounds likely. @TSN1040
I was good with signing Harris in the $150K range, but anything over $200K doesn't seem like a good deal for a veteran back who severely injured his ankle 18 months ago). Could this mean a Shaq Murray-Lawrence trade isn't far behind?

Andrew not returning? Not a surprise. To this fan, Harris was a rare talent (whether Nat or Int). Underrated IMO. One of my all time faves.

Int RBs are readily available, very talented and relatively cheap. It is just a ratio consideration. We have not had Nat depth, and relied on Harris to help with the ratio.

Best wishes to Andrew Harris, wherever you end up. Run wild. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Just noticed that we signed PR WR Geraldo Boldewijin. Players and media were drooling over his potential last year. He got in one game and caught a 50-yarder. This is a very good signing as I heard he was released to sign in the NFL and he's only 25.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess there is no interest from the NFL in Boldewijin
Lionsfan65
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:Guess there is no interest from the NFL in Boldewijin
Their loss, our gain
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Are there greener pastures for Matt Norman? Mike Beamish seems to think so.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers
#Roughriders, #BlueBombers contemplating pending FA offensive lineman Matt Norman, a four-year vet with #BCLions.
maxlion
Legend

WPG has announced that Lirim Hajrullahu won't be returning. He had an outstanding rookie season two years ago, then struggled mightily at field goals last year while still being an effective punter. This could be a great opportunity to lock up a longterm solution for our kicking situation. He's not as good a punter as Leone, and there are no guarantees his placekicking would bounce back, but he is Canadian and could come relatively cheap. He also has a very good head on his shoulders and likely has a very bright post playing future. More worth the gamble than Leone in my opinion.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As we're getting down to crunch time it'll be interesting how many more top names will come off the list in the next 72 hours.

I was thinking top secondary Nats Jermaine Gabriel and Courtney Stephen would be great fits in orange. Gabriel has re-upped with Toronto and Stephen is rumoured to be close to re-signing with Hamilton. Not that BC would be interested but Trevor Harris and the Argos continue to work on an extension.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish says the Lions hope to lock up Travis Lulay and Chris Rainey.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers
#BCLions hope to lock up #QB Travis Lulay, returner Chris Rainey before #CFL free agency stampede begins on Tuesday.
Rodu
Champion

I'm hoping we can retain Rainey. I was thinking we could use him in our scheme like the Flutie Argos used Pinball Clemmons, with Drummond being the feature back there
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lajli and other TSN staff have done a team-by-team breakdown of top free agents and free-agency needs. Here's Laji's take on the Lions:
With the expected loss of Andrew Harris, the Lions will be forced to change their ratio. The team would love a Canadian defensive back, but the market is thin there. The Lions could also look to add a third Canadian defensive lineman to rotate with Jabar Westerman and David Menard. BC could also add at offensive line or receiver. - Notes from Farhan Lalji

TEAM NEEDS HEADING INTO FREE AGENCY
Defensive backs
Pass rushing defensive linemen
Offensive line depth
Possibly a Canadian receiver

Top Pending Free Agents
1. Andrew Harris, RB, National. Harris very quietly had another solid season in 2015 and was named a league All-Star. He added 484 yards and two touchdowns as a receiver.
2. Alex Hoffman-Ellis, LB, International. Hoffman-Ellis had a productive first full season with the Lions, registering 57 tackles and three interceptions.
3. Khreem Smith, DE, International. Smith has been a consistent pass rusher in his five seasons with the Lions. While he couldn’t match his career-high 11 sacks set in 2014, his six QB takedowns proved his consistency.
4. Travis Lulay, QB, International. The former Most Outstanding Player is fully expected to re-sign with the Lions prior to Tuesday as Jonathon Jennings’ backup.
CFL Free Agency: Team Needs

I'd make a Canadian pass-rusher my top target but I agree that a Canadian DB would help with the ratio too.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wish list:

Attack style defence. LOL Possible? Dunno, but the odds are against it.

Vigorous run game.

Stout pass protection.

Up to date STs.

Free agent wish list: 1 Nat DB, 1 Nat DL, 1 Nat OL (Could get shut out here)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.