Free Agent Signings

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Add Fred Stamps to the list, released today by Montreal and Nick Moore, who will not be resigned by Blue Bombers after they signed Dressler.
David
Team Captain

You can add Nick Moore to the players I'd be interested in, but I heard the Stamps are going to go hard after him.

I would imagine Fred Stamps would retire? A lot of miles on that odometer....

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:You can add Nick Moore to the players I'd be interested in, but I heard the Stamps are going to go hard after him.

I would imagine Fred Stamps would retire? A lot of miles on that odometer....

DH :cool:
I think Stamps is done. 1 day contract to retire as an Eskimo I think will be his only offer. He doesn't have the wheels to play outside meaning little interest unless a team has an opening in the slot. With Manny, Collie, Hawkins, Burnham, Gore, Iannuzzi already in the Den as veterans I don't see BC being active pursuing veteran FA receivers. I think they will try to spend the money elsewhere and rely on scouting to add receiving depth.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The biggest areas of concern are in the defensive backfield and the defensive line, according to Gary Lawless.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:The biggest areas of concern are in the defensive backfield and the defensive line, according to Gary Lawless.
Secondary was my first thought and a rush end. I kind of like where we are with 3/4 of the DL with Brooks, Minter, Westerman and Menard. It's filling Khreem Smith's spot with a more dynamic pass rusher that I see as the biggest concern. Can that be filled internally with one of the kids? Is Roh that guy? Still have Bazzie. Can one of last year's rookies seize the opportunity?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
aklawitter
All Star

Roh and Menard can both anchor the D-line. Unlike some other posters on this board, I like what Bazzie brings as a situational pass rusher.

Lest we forget, Ricky Foley was beaten out by an unknown undrafted guy who suffered a serious injury in college...
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

aklawitter wrote:Roh and Menard can both anchor the D-line. Unlike some other posters on this board, I like what Bazzie brings as a situational pass rusher.

Lest we forget, Ricky Foley was beaten out by an unknown undrafted guy who suffered a serious injury in college...
I forgot. Please enlighten.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

BC Lions Rumours as of today from CFL rumour site:

In his free agency preview, CFL.ca’s Justin Dunk said Andrew Harris is likely to depart BC come the start of free agency on Feb. 9 and the most logical destination is Winnipeg. Harris is from Winnipeg and would join recent addition Weston Dressler on a revamped Bomber offence.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

2 more free agents according to this site I was just on:

A week after quarterback Tanner Marsh tweeted that he was released, fellow pivot Dan LeFevour also announced he is no longer a Montreal Alouette. LeFevour tweeted Monday that he requested his release from the Als to get a head start on CFL free agency
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

John Chick signs 2 year contract with Hamilton

http://www.tsn.ca/de-chick-signs-two-ye ... s-1.428037
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Montreal has extended 34-year-old Stefan Logan. Jim Popp doesn't seem to have a problem signing older players.
Link

Here's an updated team-by-team list from cfl.ca. There is still a lot of good talent set to hit the open market on Feb. 9.
2016 Free Agent Tracker
The_Pauser
Legend

Based on the updated free agent list, here is who I would target:

Josh Bourke - Can't have enough good Canadian offensive linemen. Bourke has been one of the best in the league throughout his career, and while he's in the twilight of his career he would still provide stability and veteran leadership on our O-line. He and Olafioye would be great book-ending our O-line.

Justin Capicciotti - He's young, had 12 sacks last year, and would be a huge addition to our D-line. D-line was a problem for most of the year last year, but started to gel towards the end. Adding a good, young, Canadian starter will help us in this area. While Menard looked to break out, I felt Westerman started to regress a little. Capicciotti is a guy who can be a starter and perhaps allow us to move Westerman in a trade for help elsewhere. Simon Fraser product, he's familiar with living in BC.

Tristan Okpalaugo - He's an international, but he had a great year last year, and is another young defensive lineman who can be a starter and an impact player. Lining up Okpalaugo and Capicciotti along with Brooks and Minter on the inside would give us the best defensive line in the CFL. Rotate Menard in there as needed, and having Bazzie/Roh battle out for the 6th spot and I love our depth.

Cleyon Liang - Another young Canadian defensive lineman. If we strike out on the first two above he would be a very good consolation.

Ted Laurent - Possibly the gem of free agency on the defensive side. He'll likely be more expensive than anyone else on my list, especially given he's a Canadian on the interior of the defensive line. I'd love to get him but I expect he'll be too expensive for us.

Courtney Stephen - A solid Canadian DB who can start and provide some good depth along with Fraser. A potential ratio buster here.

Trevor Harris/Travis Lulay - No idea why Toronto hasn't signed Harris, but if he's available and willing to accept low starter/backup money then why not? The kid was a potential MOP candidate last year before he got injured. Bring him in and let him and Jennings compete for the starters job. Nothing wrong with having depth (hey, Calgary isn't complaining having Mitchell and Tate). Though I fully expect he will be too expensive for us in which case I would like to see us bring back Travis Lulay as our backup. He's great in the community, he's a great leader and mentor, and can be a solid replacement if Jennings needs a break or goes down to injury.

This is actually a very good year to target defensive linemen. I was going down the list and there are a lot of impact players who I didn't list, but who I would be very hapy with. I think there's enough here that we can rebuild our team and get back to being an elite team once again.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great read Pauser. Fingers crossed the Lions aren't holding back announcing a new deal for Lulay just so they can make some kind of splash when free agency opens.
The_Pauser wrote:Based on the updated free agent list, here is who I would target:

Josh Bourke - Can't have enough good Canadian offensive linemen. Bourke has been one of the best in the league throughout his career, and while he's in the twilight of his career he would still provide stability and veteran leadership on our O-line. He and Olafioye would be great book-ending our O-line.

Justin Capicciotti - He's young, had 12 sacks last year, and would be a huge addition to our D-line. D-line was a problem for most of the year last year, but started to gel towards the end. Adding a good, young, Canadian starter will help us in this area. While Menard looked to break out, I felt Westerman started to regress a little. Capicciotti is a guy who can be a starter and perhaps allow us to move Westerman in a trade for help elsewhere. Simon Fraser product, he's familiar with living in BC.

Tristan Okpalaugo - He's an international, but he had a great year last year, and is another young defensive lineman who can be a starter and an impact player. Lining up Okpalaugo and Capicciotti along with Brooks and Minter on the inside would give us the best defensive line in the CFL. Rotate Menard in there as needed, and having Bazzie/Roh battle out for the 6th spot and I love our depth.

Cleyon Liang - Another young Canadian defensive lineman. If we strike out on the first two above he would be a very good consolation.

Ted Laurent - Possibly the gem of free agency on the defensive side. He'll likely be more expensive than anyone else on my list, especially given he's a Canadian on the interior of the defensive line. I'd love to get him but I expect he'll be too expensive for us.

Courtney Stephen - A solid Canadian DB who can start and provide some good depth along with Fraser. A potential ratio buster here.

Trevor Harris/Travis Lulay - No idea why Toronto hasn't signed Harris, but if he's available and willing to accept low starter/backup money then why not? The kid was a potential MOP candidate last year before he got injured. Bring him in and let him and Jennings compete for the starters job. Nothing wrong with having depth (hey, Calgary isn't complaining having Mitchell and Tate). Though I fully expect he will be too expensive for us in which case I would like to see us bring back Travis Lulay as our backup. He's great in the community, he's a great leader and mentor, and can be a solid replacement if Jennings needs a break or goes down to injury.

This is actually a very good year to target defensive linemen. I was going down the list and there are a lot of impact players who I didn't list, but who I would be very hapy with. I think there's enough here that we can rebuild our team and get back to being an elite team once again.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Like to see them resign Chris Rainey, but clearly he wants too much money and likely will sign with another team Feb 9 or after. Maybe Calgary for they cut Brown.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote: Justin Capicciotti - He's young, had 12 sacks last year, and would be a huge addition to our D-line. D-line was a problem for most of the year last year, but started to gel towards the end. Adding a good, young, Canadian starter will help us in this area. While Menard looked to break out, I felt Westerman started to regress a little. Capicciotti is a guy who can be a starter and perhaps allow us to move Westerman in a trade for help elsewhere. Simon Fraser product, he's familiar with living in BC.

These ones look very attractive.

We need 7 Nat starters. Teams can always meet the ratio, but Nat quality and depth is key in the CFL. Solid drafting and development are essential.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.