Harris Basically Says Good Bye

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
“That is something that we’ll talk about in personnel meetings,” began Tedford of Harris’s status. “I think he carried the ball 42 times more than anybody else in the league, so he had his opportunities, and had a good year as far as stats were concerned. He led the league in total offence. I think he did a good job, but whatever his future is, I am not sure of.”

If the HC is going to speak publicly about his best offensive player (and a NAT to boot), he should have THOUGHT before he spoke. Everything Tedford said was designed to NOT STEP ON WALLY'S TOES, and be vague at best, if not suggestive about his star player. "He had his opportunities...had a good year as far as stats were concerned...he did a good job, but where his future is, I am not sure of." Incredible! How about, Andrew is one of the best offensive players in the entire league...a dual threat that can take it to the house from any spot on the field in a variety of ways...we simply cannot afford to lose a player of his skill, experience and desire to win championships. He is the kind of player, especially being a CDN, that CFL teams build around!

But no, we got the "robot Tedford" once again..."yes Master, I hear and I obey...Andrew did not prove himself...he was good but only based upon stats...I don't know (or care) what his future will be...I am a robot, I need oil..."
Tedford does not make contract/personell decisions and he knows it. He was careful and the fact that he feels the need to be careful says a lot.

For those who do want us to go with an import tailback....do they realize that will mean one less import on offence...which import do you want to come out of the lineup and be replaced with a National ..which right now would be Iannuzzi....do you want that to be Hawkins or Arsenault or an import slot back who could either be Burham, Boldewijn, or Jeffers Harris. Quite frankly I think we need to go with four import receivers and draft a National center.

If we want to have an exciting offence and great targets for Jennings and get fans back into the buiding, we are not going to be stronger offensively going with an import tailback. Harris is the best in the CFl as a pass receivier out of the backfield and give him a hole to run into and he is still one of the best running tailbacks in the CFL. Harris led the CFL in combined yards while being targeted as the key to stopping our offence.

We can also find the money. We paid Lulay big money for the past couple of seasons and won't be paying out that salary again. So giving Harris a contract that pays him as one of the top non-quarterback players in the league is not that difficult.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some memories ...

Born to Run.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

I'm fine if Harris moves on, to be honest. He suffered from severe fumble-itis this year, and had multiple games where he was completely ineffective. If he's looking for Cornish money he simply isn't worth it. He's a good RB, but I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable. I would rather spend half on the next Tyrell Sutton and use that extra cap space to address other holes on the team.

To me, Manny Arceneaux is priority number 1.
Roar you Lions roar!
maxlion
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:I'm fine if Harris moves on, to be honest. He suffered from severe fumble-itis this year, and had multiple games where he was completely ineffective. If he's looking for Cornish money he simply isn't worth it. He's a good RB, but I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable. I would rather spend half on the next Tyrell Sutton and use that extra cap space to address other holes on the team.

To me, Manny Arceneaux is priority number 1.
According to reports, he is already paid Cornish money. He wants a lot more.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A sad day if this happens. No Andrew Harris is not the absolute ideal running back. I would love to see a back who hits the hole with more explosiveness and is a better blocker but this is a homegrown Canadian kid who is a ratio buster that admits "bleeds" orange. Part of the Lions demise in this market place is not enough star power or familiar names.

Back in 2005-2008 era deciding on who you should customize your jersey after actually took some thought. The Lions had plenty of familiar names on both sides of the ball who had been here for a while. If Harris doesn't not re-sign then there's another popular player gone. Who is left that you are confident will be here a long time? Sure there's Elli and Bighill but honestly the Lions should look hard at trading one of them, for cap room and perhaps move Lokombo into a starting position. Jennings? Maybe but still too early for that tag.

Wally made the right football decision regarding Simon, Clermont, Banks and others but whether that was the right business decision is another matter.
Blitz
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:A sad day if this happens. No Andrew Harris is not the absolute ideal running back. I would love to see a back who hits the hole with more explosiveness and is a better blocker but this is a homegrown Canadian kid who is a ratio buster that admits "bleeds" orange. Part of the Lions demise in this market place is not enough star power or familiar names.

Back in 2005-2008 era deciding on who you should customize your jersey after actually took some thought. The Lions had plenty of familiar names on both sides of the ball who had been here for a while. If Harris doesn't not re-sign then there's another popular player gone. Who is left that you are confident will be here a long time? Sure there's Elli and Bighill but honestly the Lions should look hard at trading one of them, for cap room and perhaps move Lokombo into a starting position. Jennings? Maybe but still too early for that tag.

Wally made the right football decision regarding Simon, Clermont, Banks and others but whether that was the right business decision is another matter.
I agree Sammy, that this decision needs to be a 'big picture' view, which includes salary and the SMS, the fan base, the ratio, etc.

For those who want a big power back we could always try to sign Messam, although I think he will want to return to Calgary. I would choose Harris over Messam but they are both good backs. I sure would hate to see Calgary sign Harris instead of Messam and have Harris ripping us apart behind Calgary's offensive line, when its back healthy. My best guess is that Harris would go to Winnipeg if he doesn't sign back here.

For those who would prefer a Sutton style of import back, its not easy to find a back who can receive out of the backfield like Harris. Its also very important to consider what an import back does to our ratio. Harris was leading the league in rushing this season until the final regular season games and would have won the rushing title if we had played him the same amount that Calgary played Messam in that final game. Harris also had some games this season where we hardly used him and he didn't even hit double digits in rushing...and that was not his fault. Defenses loaded up the line of scrimmage to stop him while we had 5 blockers in the spread. No back, import or National, can over come that. The best example of that was last season's Grey Cup, when Hamilton was determined to shut down Cornish so bad that Calgary went to the air.

Of course, we could have gone to a pro set, with more blockers or opened up the run with the pass but most of the season we couldn't do that, until Jennings got playing. That was not Harris fault. To a large degree any tailback will say that they are only as good as theri run blocking scheme and the players blocking for them, at least for the initial hole.

I also dont' consider myself a 'fan' of Harris. I appreciate his strengths. especially his versatility as a double threat tailback and his ratio impact. I don't think he is a good blocker. I believe he should have shut up and dealt with things privately a number of times over the past three seasons. I don't see him as a leader type of player when he should be by now but I do see him as passionate, in terms of his own play, his desire to be an integral part of the offence (which he has been overall), and his desire to win. The fan base also identifies with him strongly and the fan base is an issue.

I also agree with you re: trading a linebacker and I would trade Sol E. He is expensive and we have players who could step in like Lokombo, while leaving Bighill in the box, where he is better than outside.

I just believe bringing him back with a contract that us a reflection of what a very effective National tailback is worth, would be wise. If his demands are such, Wally should sign him again and Harris should return.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
BC 1988
Legend

Blitz wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:A sad day if this happens. No Andrew Harris is not the absolute ideal running back. I would love to see a back who hits the hole with more explosiveness and is a better blocker but this is a homegrown Canadian kid who is a ratio buster that admits "bleeds" orange. Part of the Lions demise in this market place is not enough star power or familiar names.

I agree Sammy, that this decision needs to be a 'big picture' view, which includes salary and the SMS, the fan base, the ratio, etc.

For those who want a big power back we could always try to sign Messam, although I think he will want to return to Calgary. I would choose Harris over Messam but they are both good backs. I sure would hate to see Calgary sign Harris instead of Messam and have Harris ripping us apart behind Calgary's offensive line, when its back healthy. My best guess is that Harris would go to Winnipeg if he doesn't sign back here.

For those who would prefer a Sutton style of import back, its not easy to find a back who can receive out of the backfield like Harris. Its also very important to consider what an import back does to our ratio. Harris was leading the league in rushing this season until the final regular season games and would have won the rushing title if we had played him the same amount that Calgary played Messam in that final game. Harris also had some games this season where we hardly used him and he didn't even hit double digits in rushing...and that was not his fault. Defenses loaded up the line of scrimmage to stop him while we had 5 blockers in the spread. No back, import or National, can over come that. The best example of that was last season's Grey Cup, when Hamilton was determined to shut down Cornish so bad that Calgary went to the air.

Of course, we could have gone to a pro set, with more blockers or opened up the run with the pass but most of the season we couldn't do that, until Jennings got playing. That was not Harris fault. To a large degree any tailback will say that they are only as good as their run blocking scheme and the players blocking for them, at least for the initial hole.
Harris did seem to have more fumbles this year than previously (he was getting into Chad Owens like numbers). He also has had several injuries over the course of his career, that may reduce his long term effectiveness. (We could certainly say the same about both Jon Cornish and Chad Owens).

I have no doubt he will be a valuable part of another team, but only if they have the schemes and supporting cast to effectively use him. (WPG would currently not be it).

Agreed that it would be a shame to let him go (as valuable as he is for the ratio) now without seeing him in a Jennings-led pro set offense.
The_Pauser
Legend

Trading one of the top 2 LB's in the league is an absolute terrible idea, and not one that should even be considered. We do need to get Bo some reps, and perhaps put him in for Josh Johnson. Go with 3 big LB's. No need for that smaller guy who can drop back in coverage. Make our defense more aggressive and blitz more.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Harris had 5 regular season fumbles this year, which is his career average, but his 4 fumbles lost was a career high.

2015: 5 FUM, 4 LOST
2014: 4 FUM, 1 LOST (only 12 games played)
2013: 7 FUM, 3 LOST
2012: 5 FUM, 3 LOST
2011: 3 FUM, 3 LOST

Harris told Mike Beamish he wants to be a Lion next year. I expect him to be here if his salary demands aren't too high.
“I’ve put a lot of work into this organization,” he says. “I’ve been here for a while. Lot of great memories. Lot of great games. Lot of great seasons. Again, I would love to be back here. But it’s got to make sense for my family, my life. I’ve got to make a decision as to where I want to stay.”
“We were far apart at midseason. He (Wally Buono) might think differently now. I know where I’m at, what I think I’m going to get paid somewhere else. Basically, the ball’s in his court. I want to be a B.C. Lion. But it’s got to make sense for me.”
Vancouver Sun article
potbelly
Rookie

All the negative commenters on Harris , I suppose you think that Geroy Simon going to Saskatchewan was a good move too? Give me a break, the last few years Wally has shown that he no longer posses the ability to make wise decisions. I suppose you think that letting Stephan Logan, Tim Brown, and many many others go were wise decisions as well? Only thing that made our special teams look half decent this year was Rainy. Period. Harris is definitely on par with Cornish if not better(if used properly) in my opinion. Disrespected and pure nonsense, that's all I can say. He deserves better!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

potbelly wrote:All the negative commenters on Harris , I suppose you think that Geroy Simon going to Saskatchewan was a good move too? Give me a break, the last few years Wally has shown that he no longer posses the ability to make wise decisions. I suppose you think that letting Stephan Logan, Tim Brown, and many many others go were wise decisions as well? Only thing that made our special teams look half decent this year was Rainy. Period. Harris is definitely on par with Cornish if not better(if used properly) in my opinion. Disrespected and pure nonsense, that's all I can say. He deserves better!
harris isn't even close to being as good as Cornish was.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
potbelly
Rookie

KnowItAll wrote:
potbelly wrote:All the negative commenters on Harris , I suppose you think that Geroy Simon going to Saskatchewan was a good move too? Give me a break, the last few years Wally has shown that he no longer posses the ability to make wise decisions. I suppose you think that letting Stephan Logan, Tim Brown, and many many others go were wise decisions as well? Only thing that made our special teams look half decent this year was Rainy. Period. Harris is definitely on par with Cornish if not better(if used properly) in my opinion. Disrespected and pure nonsense, that's all I can say. He deserves better!
That's a matter of opinion. However based on stats and numbers then obviously you are correct. However ask your self this. If Harris played with the Stampeders in Cornishes role, and Calgary coaching schemes what do you think would have transpired? Basically your saying Harris should be a one man show. Coach, Block/open up holes, through some screen pass' to himself. Ridiculous.
potbelly
Rookie

potbelly wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
That's a matter of opinion. However based on stats and numbers then obviously you are correct. However ask your self this. If Harris played with the Stampeders in Cornishes role, and Calgary coaching schemes what do you think would have transpired? Basically your saying Harris should be a one man show. Coach, Block/open up holes, through some screen pass' to himself. Ridiculous.
Should also add if you think the Lions O line hasn't been suspect for years, think again, with the revolving door of injured Quarterbacks and all.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As a fan of Harris, I think it would be revealing if he went to Calgary, or Edmonton. Or Toronto. Or Hamilton.

Well coached teams. Teams that can create offence, and running games. It just might be very revealing. With a well managed, well coached team, I think he would run wild.

Just IMO ...

He seems to be taken for granted by the Lions' staff, and by many fans. Why stay? There are many reasons for choosing a team. The money will be comparable wherever. Work environment, feeling valued, or not, in the organization might weigh heavily.

With a better team, his star might shine a bit brighter. He might have a lot more fun and satisfaction playing in a better situation.

There are many reasons. And they might weigh in favour of moving on.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
potbelly
Rookie

WestCoastJoe wrote:As a fan of Harris, I think it would be revealing if he went to Calgary, or Edmonton. Or Toronto. Or Hamilton.

Well coached teams. Teams that can create offence, and running games. It just might be very revealing. With a well managed, well coached team, I think he would run wild.

Just IMO ...

He seems to be taken for granted by the Lions' staff, and by many fans. Why stay? There are many reasons for choosing a team. The money will be comparable wherever. Work environment, feeling valued, or not, in the organization might weigh heavily.

With a better team, his star might shine a bit brighter. He might have a lot more fun and satisfaction playing in a better situation.

There are many reasons. And they might weigh in favour of moving on.
Fully Agree.