Harris Basically Says Good Bye

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Andrew Harris was just interviewed on Global TV.

Our Leos starting tailback since part way through the 2011 season has played for quarterbacks Travis Lulay, Rob DeMarco, Mike Reilly, Kevin Glenn, and Jonathan Jennings is gone, it appears. Another big name Leos veteran leaves disgruntled.

Harris basically said in his interview that "there has been frustration" , "the amount of effort he has put into this club has not been reflected back', "the writing is on the wall", and "he wants to play in a place where he is comfortable".

Not good.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Mane
prospect

Andrew Harris was just interviewed on Global TV.

Our Leos starting tailback since part way through the 2011 season has played for quarterbacks Travis Lulay, Rob DeMarco, Mike Reilly, Kevin Glenn, and Jonathan Jennings is gone, it appears. Another big name Leos veteran leaves disgruntled.

Harris basically said in his interview that "there has been frustration" , "the amount of effort he has put into this club has not been reflected back', "the writing is on the wall", and "he wants to play in a place where he is comfortable".

Not good
just watched the same interview and came up with a similar conclusion. I talked to Harris this fall in Nanaimo and told him how as a fan was fed up seeing him used as a blocker all the time. He was fairly guarded in his response but even so his frustration came through really strong. If he does go I would like to thank him for the effort that he has put in game after game And as he says in the tv clip "with not much back."
maxlion
Legend

I'm genuinely curious what he means when he says he didn't get much back. He's well paid, loved by fans, and has been the most featured player in our offense for several years in a row. What does he want?
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:I'm genuinely curious what he means when he says he didn't get much back. He's well paid, loved by fans, and has been the most featured player in our offense for several years in a row. What does he want?
Likely a contract that he believes reflects his value and past contributions, respect ( Wally saying that Harris needed to prove himself over the remaining games of the regular season before making a contract offer would not be considered respect) and likely an offensive system that he believes in (our offence finished 8th in most categories this season).

He said he really wanted to win a CFL rushing title as a goal and I highly doubt being sat after the 1st quarter sat well with him as Messam played 3 quarters for Calgary so that Messam could reach his goal, and Harris probably lost a big bonus by not winning the rushing title.

We haven't won a playoff game in 4 years and that probably is frustrating too, as is our play calling, in which some games Harris is utilized well and other games in which he is basically ignored or forced to run into brick walls when we try to run out of the spread.

Lots of reasons for Harris to want a change of scenery.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't put a lot of stock in comments made by people in contract negotiations. Harris's agent and the Lions have exchanged offers. Naturally, Harris is going to say he's looking at all options. Jeff Tedford was complimentary in his comments about Harris today.
“That is something that we’ll talk about in personnel meetings,” began Tedford of Harris’s status. “I think he carried the ball 42 times more than anybody else in the league, so he had his opportunities, and had a good year as far as stats we're concerned. He led the league in total offence. I think he did a good job, but whatever his future is, I am not sure of.”
Howard Tsumura has more comments on the future of Harris, Manny Arceneaux., Travis Lulay and Jonathon Jennings, as well as Jeff Tedford's take on his young team in The Province:
Tsumura: Looking forward with the Lions
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
maxlion wrote:I'm genuinely curious what he means when he says he didn't get much back. He's well paid, loved by fans, and has been the most featured player in our offense for several years in a row. What does he want?
Likely a contract that he believes reflects his value and past contributions, respect ( Wally saying that Harris needed to prove himself over the remaining games of the regular season before making a contract offer would not be considered respect) and likely an offensive system that he believes in (our offence finished 8th in most categories this season).

He said he really wanted to win a CFL rushing title as a goal and I highly doubt being sat after the 1st quarter sat well with him as Messam played 3 quarters for Calgary so that Messam could reach his goal, and Harris probably lost a big bonus by not winning the rushing title.

We haven't won a playoff game in 4 years and that probably is frustrating too, as is our play calling, in which some games Harris is utilized well and other games in which he is basically ignored or forced to run into brick walls when we try to run out of the spread.

Lots of reasons for Harris to want a change of scenery.

He did...he lost a sizeable bonus (by CFL standards) by not winning the rushing title. I am an Andrew Harris fan and like WCJ, I will continue being a supporter no matter where he plays. I honestly hope he leaves if Wally stays in charge and goes to a team that wants to make him a feature player. Wally has shown AH little love or appreciation over his time here, and besides Jon Cornish, no other offensive player has been more valuable to their team since the 2011 season than Andrew. As always, I wish him well!

The Lions (who don't draft or scout well) are going to have a very difficult time trying to replace Andrew Harris.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I expect Andrew Harris will not be back.

I wish him well. Some say overrated. I say he is still underrated.

We have seen National running backs rise to prominence. Cornish. Harris. Messam. Good to see. Bodes well for the CFL game.

They can help the ratio. But, as with Calgary, it can be dicey to replace the starter with equal level National. Easier to plan your O around International RBs.

If AH leaves, I wish to say Thank You to the kid from Winnipeg, by way of Nanaimo, who rose to CFL prominence. It ain't necessarily about money. It ain't necessarily about carries or touches. Sometimes it is about respect, recognition or feeling valued in the organization.

One of my all time faves.
MexicoLionFan wrote:I am an Andrew Harris fan and like WCJ, I will continue being a supporter no matter where he plays.
He does have his fans, MLF. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

Harris doesn't have the burst he once did ... I think he's lost a step.

Its better to bring in a import back and have an unlimited supply of backups.

Rather they spend Harris's $$$ on a Cdn O-lineman where you have some cdn depth.
CardiacKid
Legend

It is par for the course that all manner of professional athletes conduct contract negotiations through the media. Earlier today I was reading how Harris "bleeds orange". I think all these comments need to be taken with a grain of salt; at least until we get closer to when the rubber hits the road in February.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blitz
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:It is par for the course that all manner of professional athletes conduct contract negotiations through the media. Earlier today i was reading how Harris "bleeds orange". I think all these comments need to be taken with a grain of salt; at least until we get closer to when the rubber hits the road in February.
Perhaps.

Here is the entire Province excerpt on Harris and comments.

WHERE IS NO. 33’s BEST FIT

Andrew Harris, the team’s free agent running back, describes the time he will take this off-season to contemplate his future landing spot as “self-reflection.”

To him, it’s all about family considerations and business opportunities, but also finding a so-called happy place. But the way he was speaking Monday, B.C. might not be that place.

In perhaps the most telling comment of the day, Harris told reporters: “The way this has gone, there has been frustration. The amount of effort and things I have put into this club, I feel hasn’t been reflected the same way back to me and I have to reassess that. I want to go through the next couple of years, being comfortable in a place where I am happy. Being a B.C. Lion has been a happy place for me and it’s been a great journey, but I really have to reassess where I want to be next year.”

Speculation for the 1,039-yard rusher is Winnipeg and his hometown Blue Bombers, but Harris stressed at points that he could still see himself finishing his career here in Vancouver.

Harris’s game-by-game rushing totals were the true definition of up and down. He had games of 119, 118, 117 and 100 yards rushing, but he also had games of two and three yards, and two others where he rushed for 10 yards.

With all of that said, he still finished second in the league rushing race to Montreal’s Tyrell Sutton, who with his team out of the playoff race, passed him on the final day of the regular season.

Harris did admit Monday that he would have liked to have seen more of the ball, but was quick to point out that at the same time, the team was finding success getting it to other players.

“So for me it’s not a selfish thing,” he said, stressing that he just wanted to be more involved in helping his team find success.

Tedford, prefacing all of his personnel-related comments Monday by stressing that the team’s regular season had just finished 24 hours ago, was told of Harris’s comments.

“That is something that we’ll talk about in personnel meetings,” began Tedford of Harris’s status. “I think he carried the ball 42 times more than anybody else in the league, so he had his opportunities, and had a good year as far as stats were concerned. He led the league in total offence. I think he did a good job, but whatever his future is, I am not sure of.”

maxlion
Legend

Some of Harris' comments to the media last month as we entered the playoff stretch drive:

"I should I be compensated in a certain way. If they don't want to do it, I think someone will."
"Ultimately, it's about...who shows the most interest."

I don't begrudge Andrew at all for going for the money. He's earned the right to choose who he plays for. I'm not so sure that we should getting into a bidding war for him. And I think he could learn a thing or two from Lulay about how to be a team leader and player.
Last edited by maxlion on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Qman wrote:Harris doesn't have the burst he once did ... I think he's lost a step.

Its better to bring in a import back and have an unlimited supply of backups.

Rather they spend Harris's $$$ on a Cdn O-lineman where you have some cdn depth.

Exactly, just like the WC semi final on Sunday...when he, counting as a NON INT player, rushed for almost a 6 yard average and received for a 9 yard average without the help of a downfield passing game. Anybody can replace this guy...and its not like teams key on Andrew Harris or state publicly that Harris is the key to the Lions offence and must be stopped...

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

“That is something that we’ll talk about in personnel meetings,” began Tedford of Harris’s status. “I think he carried the ball 42 times more than anybody else in the league, so he had his opportunities, and had a good year as far as stats were concerned. He led the league in total offence. I think he did a good job, but whatever his future is, I am not sure of.”

If the HC is going to speak publicly about his best offensive player (and a NAT to boot), he should have THOUGHT before he spoke. Everything Tedford said was designed to NOT STEP ON WALLY'S TOES, and be vague at best, if not suggestive about his star player. "He had his opportunities...had a good year as far as stats were concerned...he did a good job, but where his future is, I am not sure of." Incredible! How about, Andrew is one of the best offensive players in the entire league...a dual threat that can take it to the house from any spot on the field in a variety of ways...we simply cannot afford to lose a player of his skill, experience and desire to win championships. He is the kind of player, especially being a CDN, that CFL teams build around!

But no, we got the "robot Tedford" once again..."yes Master, I hear and I obey...Andrew did not prove himself...he was good but only based upon stats...I don't know (or care) what his future will be...I am a robot, I need oil..."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, seems a pretty sad testament to a player who has done nothing except work really hard for this team. It always seemed that Andrew has had to swim upstream in a strong current in this regime. This organization has an unenviable legacy when it comes to player treatment. I know it is a cutthroat business but loyalty is also a part of this business. He has put his body on the line for this team for years and deserves more than a waffling, half-assed endorsement (if you can call it that) from his head coach especially given he could have been the leading rusher in the league and often was the only offensive weapon in the Lions toolbox. I wonder how Tedford would feel about Wally making a similar speech about him?

For shame Lions, for shame.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Yeah, seems a pretty sad testament to a player who has done nothing except work really hard for this team. It always seemed that Andrew has had to swim upstream in a strong current in this regime. This organization has an unenviable legacy when it comes to player treatment. I know it is a cutthroat business but loyalty is also a part of this business. He has put his body on the line for this team for years and deserves more than a waffling, half-assed endorsement (if you can call it that) from his head coach especially given he could have been the leading rusher in the league and often was the only offensive weapon in the Lions toolbox. I wonder how Tedford would feel about Wally making a similar speech about him?

For shame Lions, for shame.
:thup:

Shameful treatment. No football player puts his body more at risk than a running back. 12 men on a mission to kill. Gang tackled. No hole. Keyed on.

No respect. No appreciation. No credit given. Harris must show something in the playoffs. Unlike Buono. Unlike Tedford.

Shameful.

And this is the man, Wally Buono, that gets loyalty from so many. It seems that is what legendary status gets you. A free pass. Lifetime contract. Fully enabled and empowered and entitled.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.