Why so negative ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

Why is there so much negativity on this board? Why are there so many NFL trolls here? Are there CFL trolls on NFL boards? This negativity is what keeps people from posting, much like myself.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:Why is there so much negativity on this board? Why are there so many NFL trolls here? Are there CFL trolls on NFL boards? This negativity is what keeps people from posting, much like myself.
I don't see too many NFL trolls on here to be honest. Although it might satisfy you, as it has others, to note that the most outspoken (only?) one was banned yesterday.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Negativity goes with the territory on any fan board when things aren't purrfect. Balance is always welcome in any discussion.

As for NFL trolls, I believe there is one less NFL troll on this board than there was yesterday.
MikeAK
All Star

I try not to post when negative which is why I haven't posted much this year. My negativity comes from loving the CFL and the Lions so much. This past season in particular was very tough to handle. For the first time in a decade I feel the Lions are in bad shape all through the organization...that doesn't help promote positive feelings.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

I just find it funny, dupsdell or what ever his name is, would troll on here, now he's gone thank goodness. When the Lions lose, "that's it I'm not renewing my tix for next year", "blow up the team" , "fire the coaching staff". We had the second youngest team this year, new coaches, players etc. but everyone expected a Grey Cup win?
I knew this was a transition year, I didn't expect to make the playoffs, but was glad we did. I didn't expect us to beat Calgary yesterday, we didn't deserve to, to be honest. But i'm looking forward to next year, maybe new ownership? More growth of this squad, Jennings? I love Harris and his heart, our O-Line was sketchy at best this year, when they did play well, holes were made for Harris. So much more to be optimistic about. Just my 2 cents.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:I just find it funny, dupsdell or what ever his name is, would troll on here, now he's gone thank goodness. When the Lions lose, "that's it I'm not renewing my tix for next year", "blow up the team" , "fire the coaching staff". We had the second youngest team this year, new coaches, players etc. but everyone expected a Grey Cup win?
I knew this was a transition year, I didn't expect to make the playoffs, but was glad we did. I didn't expect us to beat Calgary yesterday, we didn't deserve to, to be honest. But i'm looking forward to next year, maybe new ownership? More growth of this squad, Jennings? I love Harris and his heart, our O-Line was sketchy at best this year, when they did play well, holes were made for Harris. So much more to be optimistic about. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, dupsdell1 is gone. The troll is gone. He was the only NFL troll I saw on here. I think he was just a troll. The NFL was just a convenient subject for him, as it went against the grain of the CFL fans on here.

Negativity or positivity? A much travelled discussion on this board.

And then there is objectivity as well.

Good stuff happens. Bad stuff happens. Fans here are passionate about their team. They speak out. Some fans find it painful to hear the negative viewpoints. Some fans find it helps to heal the hurt to talk about the negatives. We've all felt the pain. And the happiness of winning. Some fans, when they see failure, look to find solutions, and it can come across as negative. All fans like the positives.

Praise and criticism are both welcome on this board.

2012 ... 13 and 5

2013 ... 11 and 7

2014 ... 9 and 9

2015 ... 7 and 11

A downhill slide. All the while the product on the field was disintegrating. We seemed to stay the same, while changes were sweeping through the league. New coaches. New systems. Attack style football, the preferred football approach of this fan, was taking over. We seemed stuck with ultra conservative football, on offence, defence and special teams.

Those results are going to bring criticism. Win or lose, this fan is probably going to comment.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:I just find it funny, dupsdell or what ever his name is, would troll on here, now he's gone thank goodness. When the Lions lose, "that's it I'm not renewing my tix for next year", "blow up the team" , "fire the coaching staff". We had the second youngest team this year, new coaches, players etc. but everyone expected a Grey Cup win?
Frustration comes in when you keep seeing the same thing game after game ie. passive prevent defence while watching the opposition keep marching down the field, good returns nullified by stupid undisciplined penalties, etc. etc.
Sackmaster
prospect

Because this team is not that far away from being a contender again, but its frustrating watching Lulay miss receivers, and Harris fumbling and pouting. Its also tough watching Washington of all people sit back in a zone with no pass rush and allowing Bo Levi and most any other cfl quarterback just pick the defense apart with no pressure. Jennings is the real deal, a gun slinger we have not seen since Printers in his mvp year. The receivers are decent with Hawkins/Manny We just need a big north/south import running back who can run on 2nd and 2 and get the first down,a Kenton Keith type. We are not that far off but Wally chirping his way to Tedford is lame and unproductive. Bring back Bevevides if he would accept the defensive co ordinator job, he was tough and aggressive.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think Ottawa has proved that nobody is that far from being a contender. One good productive off season combined with an all season QB. Or should I say 3 season.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
VictoriaFan
Starter

as much as I felt the Lions really didn't deserve to make the playoffs the way they played this year, I wonder about how negative the comments were on the 3 teams that didn't make the play offs.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

When it takes a professional organization half a season to realize that an American rookie College grad as a LB/Rush End shouldn't be our starting DT (as we rank dead last in EVERY single Defensive category), then you begin to understand the FRUSTRATION here. I am not sure FRUSTRATION is always equated with negativity. Hope and change have to start from somewhere...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:When it takes a professional organization half a season to realize that an American rookie College grad as a LB/Rush End shouldn't be our starting DT (as we rank dead last in EVERY single Defensive category), then you begin to understand the FRUSTRATION here. I am not sure FRUSTRATION is always equated with negativity. Hope and change have to start from somewhere...
Ottawa went from an expansion franchise last season to one of the best teams in the CFL this season. They had more disadvantages than we did over the past two seasons, so if their GM could do it, why didn't Wally?

I recognize Wally's success in Calgary and his success here overall as a HC from 2003-2007.

But our attendance is the lowest in 20 years and all the work and skill of Ackles in revitalizing this franchise is down the drain. We haven't won a playoff game in 4 seasons. Our record has been worse each season for the past 3 years. Wally is the one in control. He got most of the accolades when he was successful so he also has to be responsible when we are not.

What Wally did in 2003-2007 is not the issue of today. The issue is how to we get fans in the seats again and this franchise back on track and our team winning again. If Wally was so great, free agents would want to play here. They don't.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

VictoriaFan wrote:as much as I felt the Lions really didn't deserve to make the playoffs the way they played this year, I wonder about how negative the comments were on the 3 teams that didn't make the play offs.
Have you visited a Rider fan board after a loss? There would be multiple threads every week calling for everyone in the organization to be fired. The discussion here is pretty rational, for the most part.
maxlion
Legend

Blitz wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:When it takes a professional organization half a season to realize that an American rookie College grad as a LB/Rush End shouldn't be our starting DT (as we rank dead last in EVERY single Defensive category), then you begin to understand the FRUSTRATION here. I am not sure FRUSTRATION is always equated with negativity. Hope and change have to start from somewhere...
Ottawa went from an expansion franchise last season to one of the best teams in the CFL this season. They had more disadvantages than we did over the past two seasons, so if their GM could do it, why didn't Wally?

I recognize Wally's success in Calgary and his success here overall as a HC from 2003-2007.

But our attendance is the lowest in 20 years and all the work and skill of Ackles in revitalizing this franchise is down the drain. We haven't won a playoff game in 4 seasons. Our record has been worse each season for the past 3 years. Wally is the one in control. He got most of the accolades when he was successful so he also has to be responsible when we are not.

What Wally did in 2003-2007 is not the issue of today. The issue is how to we get fans in the seats again and this franchise back on track and our team winning again. If Wally was so great, free agents would want to play here. They don't.
Wally's a victim of his own success. The team is on track as far as I'm concerned. Attendance and marketing is a different matter, and not Wally's responsibility.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Blitz wrote:

Wally's a victim of his own success. The team is on track as far as I'm concerned. Attendance and marketing is a different matter, and not Wally's responsibility.

Max, that's an incredible statement, congratulations on twisting the truth up into such a pretzel. This team is on track alright, to become the worst franchise in the league, and everything points to that. And in case you didn't know, attendance IS WALLY'S RESPONSIBILITY! His direct responsibility...everything Wally does is to ensure that this team stays SOLVENT, however, he is now headed in the WRONG DIRECTION!

We had one of the worst offences and defences in the league this past season and the worst special teams. And in a massive market (for Canada), we had one of the lowest attendance averages in the league. And after all the work that Bob Ackles did to create BC as the model franchise, shame on Wally for running Bob's incredible work into dust.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein