Wally Buono won't commit to Jeff Tedford for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I was listening to the Grey Cup pre-game show and the topic of Chris Jones possibly going to Saskatchewan as GM/HC. One of the commentators, I think it was Matt Sekeres, said he had asked Wally what he thought Saskatchewan should do; hire Jones, hire Huffnagle, or keep their interim GM and hire a new HC? Wally's advice was "Get one guy who can do both jobs. In the CFL it is best to keep your chain of command as short as possible".

That right there tells me that WB is going to be the HC in 2016.
Blitz
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:I was listening to the Grey Cup pre-game show and the topic of Chris Jones possibly going to Saskatchewan as GM/HC. One of the commentators, I think it was Matt Sekeres, said he had asked Wally what he thought Saskatchewan should do; hire Jones, hire Huffnagle, or keep their interim GM and hire a new HC? Wally's advice was "Get one guy who can do both jobs. In the CFL it is best to keep your chain of command as short as possible".

Its looking more and more that way.....hopefully we will be surprised and Tedford will be back ....but then again, if he can't really run the show on the field, we're really not getting what he could bring. Sad.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I read that Tedford didn't conduct exit interviews with any of the players at the end of the season. Not a good sign.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:I was listening to the Grey Cup pre-game show and the topic of Chris Jones possibly going to Saskatchewan as GM/HC. One of the commentators, I think it was Matt Sekeres, said he had asked Wally what he thought Saskatchewan should do; hire Jones, hire Huffnagle, or keep their interim GM and hire a new HC? Wally's advice was "Get one guy who can do both jobs. In the CFL it is best to keep your chain of command as short as possible".

Maybe the guy can be both the offensive and defensive coordinators as well.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions4 ever wrote:

And yet he had them at 8-4 before the injury bug began to bite and they lost back to back close games to the Lancaster/Reed Riders before the wheels kind of came off in the back to back to the Eskimos, led by MOP Tommy Wilkinson and who would be the West's Grey Cup rep in that monsoon at Empire.

Well I was young, so don't remember that. Maybe 8 or 9, so my memory is foggy. Just remember bits and pieces and remembered Moorhead used to run backwards and get sacked for a long loss. Whether that was true I don't know. Those teams were pretty terrible, despite having some great players. It was not until Vic Rapp came that they were a good team in the 70's. The early 70's were tough. Jim Young was the big bright spot.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

It is all speculation now. If Telford gets an offer that gets him job security - a 3 to 5 years contract with an US college he may jump. His life shelf with the Lions is one more year. Though the Lions will be better next year, I don't see them much better. Still a very young team and Buono is not one to sign older free agents.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's official. Tedford has resigned and Wally will coach in 2016.
WALLY BUONO RETURNS AS HEAD COACH AS TEDFORD RESIGNS
Tuesday, December 1st, 2015

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions announced today that Jeff Tedford has resigned as the club’s head coach.

In a statement issued to the Lions this morning Tedford said: “After much consideration, I have elected to exercise an option in my contract and will resign as head coach of the BC Lions in order to pursue other opportunities in college football. I want to thank Lions ownership, management, coaching staff and players and in particular Lions fans for the opportunity and privilege of serving as head coach this past year. The team displayed great fortitude in overcoming several obstacles this season and the future is very bright for these young Lions. I wish the Lions family the very best and long and continued success.”

Lions VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono will take over coaching duties for the 2016 season.

“After consulting with David Braley and Dennis Skulsky, we believe the best course of action for the club at this time is for me to return as head coach,” said Buono.

Wally Buono will be available to the media at 9:30 am today at the club’s Surrey practice facility.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How is GM Wally Buono doing in his most important job, hiring the Head Coach?

Benny? Fail.

Teddy? Fail.

Closure for the fans, and for Wally's legacy. Many thought Wally would never let go of the coaching gig. Now the results, for better or worse, can be assigned to Wally Buono. No one else to hang it on.

Mark W stays as DC.

Need a new OC? How about Jacques Chapdelaine? This fan would not mind if JC returned. He cranked up some very good offences when here.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Justice. Buono will be forced to clean up the mess he himself created.