Lions 9 @ Calgary 35 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:This game reflected our season. Poor coaching on both sides of the football and special teams, bad penalties, and deficient in some key areas, personell wise.

The Calgary Stampeders exemplify excellent coaching. They struggled all season long with lots of injuries and they still went 14-4. In this game, Calgary suffered a number of injuries offensively in this game. They lost their offensive center early and then both guards were injured and they had to play two defensive tackles at guard. They also had to use Cote, their fullback as a slot back for most of the game. And yet Bo Levi Mitchell was not sacked and Calgary outscored us the rest of the game, even with those injuries.

I really don't believe there is that much of a difference, talent wise between the two teams that played today. But Calgary is disciplined, well coached, and a very together team with player leadership.

Everything you said Blitz was accurate, but the lines above summed the Lion's problems AND hopes perfectly. This team can compete for a Grey Cup next season with just a few, but KEY changes to the staff and personnel. Hufnagel has transformed the Stamps into the TOP franchise of the league...calm and exacting responses to problems rubs off on the players...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

About the only thing that you can suggest is a good thing about yesterday's game was it will be harder for Wally and Co. to hide behind the playoffs. If they had pulled off an upset or even made it a nail biter, you could have expected the old refrain of "hey, we were really close", or "we got within 1 game of the Grey Cup" sort of musings. The fact that this team struggled all season, limped into the playoffs and then basically got schooled by a superior 2nd place team doesn't leave many rocks to crawl under. We are talking about whether Harris is back or not but the real conversation is about whether Wally Buono is back or not, whether certain coaches should be back or not. Harris is on his last contract likely whether he is here or somewhere else. His presence or absence is not going to fix the woes that this team faces. In point of fact, if he goes, on wonders if we are going to have another situation like we did with the return game this season. Where 2 established and competent returners were released and the replacements (until Rainey arrived) were ineffective. Could we see the same kind stuff at RB if Harris is plying his trade elsewhere and we rely on our scouting to fill the void?

I'm not sure what motivates Braley but one hopes that at some point, results like these are going to force his hand. Diminishing results on the field and in the stands can't be lost on him. Maybe he doesn't want the challenge of trying to find a new GM, I don't know but at this rate, he is going to have a hard time selling this franchise. As it seems he is staging himself for eventual departure from the CFL, you would think that would at least motivate him to look very closely at what is going on. As for Wally, he is stale for this team and this market. He would be better off in Winnipeg or Saskatchewan at this point. Both those organizations have had their struggles and I don't doubt he might bring some stability to those troubled franchises.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Nik Lewis does not appear to be a fan of Andrew Harris. Fairly unusual to see a CFL player call out another, especially not having played each other recently. Although his bias is obviously rooted in his ties to his former team.
Nik Lewis ‏@nikel18 · 17h17 hours ago
Andrew Harris might be an average back if he didn't run scared.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Stubler has won a Grey Cup in Calgary last season with an excellent defense, had the best defense in the CFL this season, we didn't score a touchdown in 4 games against Calgary this season....and yet Wally criticized Stubler publically before dumping him at the end of 2013 - and I was upset because Stubler deserved better. Heck, Stubler set records in 2012 for having the best Leos and one of the best CFL defenses of all time in 2012 and our defense in 2013 was one of the best in the league. Blitz

And don't forget Blitz, that without Stubler's return to the Lions we don't win the Grey Cup in 2011. After Wally's public "tongue-lashing" to his coordinators with the 1-6 record, Benevides Defence was being run by Stubler from that point on...he wasn't simply the Lion's DLine Coach. As well as Lulay and Harris played that season under "Chap-ball", it was Stubler's consistent Defence that won the Cup for us.

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I thought Andrew Harris gave his all once again. It seems many fans are not all that keen on him. And I expect Wally is not all that keen as well. Andrew would do well to move on, and find a more comfortable situation. Better run game. A GM that truly values him. Ottawa? Hamilton? Calgary? That would be amazing. Cornish might be finished. Who knows? Regina? Edmonton? I would expect there will be suitors, so to speak. 79 yards on 14 carries. Plus 3 for 28 on passes. West Coast Joe

Joe, I don't understand this sentiment at all. Harris was excellent Sunday, and only the Kicker followed suit. If Harris goes to a team with a balanced offensive attack, he will set records. You heard it here first...the guy is a SUPERB football player, regardless of his nationality!

Albert Einstein
Dusty
Champion

Blitz wrote:
I thought Andrew Harris gave his all once again. It seems many fans are not all that keen on him. And I expect Wally is not all that keen as well. Andrew would do well to move on, and find a more comfortable situation. Better run game. A GM that truly values him. Ottawa? Hamilton? Calgary? That would be amazing. Cornish might be finished. Who knows? Regina? Edmonton? I would expect there will be suitors, so to speak. 79 yards on 14 carries. Plus 3 for 28 on passes. WCJ

Harris had some big games for us and he had games in which he didn't even hit double digits in running. That was often due to how defenses played us. You can't run easily on first down against a defense that is using 6 or 7 defenders against us while we are in the spread offence and run blocking with 5 offensive lineman.

But I don't believe we will see Harris back. I think he'll end up in Winnipeg.
I think Harris was very effective when Jennings was passing downfield and there were some gaps created by forcing the defence to ease off on stacking the box. He was also effective later in the game when you want a RB to take over the game. To me, Harris's strength is in "taking over the game".... and I think in Winnipeg, he will have a Head Coach who will support that viewpoint.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Nik Lewis does not appear to be a fan of Andrew Harris. Fairly unusual to see a CFL player call out another, especially not having played each other recently. Although his bias is obviously rooted in his ties to his former team.

Run scared? How many times have we seen him drag 2 or 3 players along for extra yards refusing to go down. Have another burger Nik.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
David wrote:Nik Lewis does not appear to be a fan of Andrew Harris. Fairly unusual to see a CFL player call out another, especially not having played each other recently. Although his bias is obviously rooted in his ties to his former team.

Run scared? How many times have we seen him drag 2 or 3 players along for extra yards refusing to go down. Have another burger Nik.

Sadly SP, what you are describing is an average Lion's running play...

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
I thought Andrew Harris gave his all once again. It seems many fans are not all that keen on him. And I expect Wally is not all that keen as well. Andrew would do well to move on, and find a more comfortable situation. Better run game. A GM that truly values him. Ottawa? Hamilton? Calgary? That would be amazing. Cornish might be finished. Who knows? Regina? Edmonton? I would expect there will be suitors, so to speak. 79 yards on 14 carries. Plus 3 for 28 on passes. West Coast Joe
Joe, I don't understand this sentiment at all. Harris was excellent Sunday, and only the Kicker followed suit. If Harris goes to a team with a balanced offensive attack, he will set records. You heard it here first...the guy is a SUPERB football player, regardless of his nationality!
MLF, I think I am as big a fan of Andrew Harris as there is. Perhaps the way I worded it made it seem other than that. I wish the best for Andrew Harris. He deserves to be in a place where he is appreciated, by both his GM and the fan base. He deserves to run behind a top level O Line, with a sound running game scheme. And a sound passing game scheme. Harris was excellent Sunday. And he put his body at risk as he always does. IMO he has been at a consistent level in all his games. Hard to run when the D blitzes the gaps, leaving no hole whatsoever. And you are keyed on by the D on each play, as the only true threat the O poses. And you are gang tackled on every play.

I will root for him wherever he plays. Can we replace him with a National? Not a chance. Can we replace him with an International or two? Probably, if not to the same level of versatility and effectiveness.

If the GM plays hardball with you, if the GM feels you have been too outspoken, if a sizeable number of the fan base is not enamoured with you or your play, it is time to move on to a better situation for yourself. So it seems to me. I say this as an advocate for Andrew Harris, as a fan.

As I said before, if he moves on, I will root for him to run wild, and of course for us to win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Stubler has won a Grey Cup in Calgary last season with an excellent defense, had the best defense in the CFL this season, we didn't score a touchdown in 4 games against Calgary this season....and yet Wally criticized Stubler publically before dumping him at the end of 2013 - and I was upset because Stubler deserved better. Heck, Stubler set records in 2012 for having the best Leos and one of the best CFL defenses of all time in 2012 and our defense in 2013 was one of the best in the league. Blitz

And don't forget Blitz, that without Stubler's return to the Lions we don't win the Grey Cup in 2011. After Wally's public "tongue-lashing" to his coordinators with the 1-6 record, Benevides Defence was being run by Stubler from that point on...he wasn't simply the Lion's DLine Coach. As well as Lulay and Harris played that season under "Chap-ball", it was Stubler's consistent Defence that won the Cup for us.
No question that Stubler was a key factor and a factor that went under the radar in our 2011 Grey Cup season ..and our defense was the key to that season. The introduction of 'Jaques Ball', rather than the spread offence also helped as did the introduction into the offence of Harris and Arland Bruce part way through that season. Bruce's positive attitude was a breath of fresh air after three seasons of diminishing play and a terrible start in 2011.

Wally's comments that Harris 'needed to prove himself' in the final third of this season said all about Wally's attitude. Wally, the legend, also needed to prove himself this season too, and didn't, even though he would never think that way.

I still can't believe that we didn't get Westerman signed this off-season. Instead of playing beside his brother in an impressive stadium on the West Coast, in a stunning city, he chose the cold of Winnipeg instead. He could have been a real difference maker to our defense, allowed us to play an import free safety. Instead he went on to lead the CFL in sacks for Winnipeg.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Andrew Harris ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:
MLF, I think I am as big a fan of Andrew Harris as there is. Perhaps the way I worded it made it seem other than that. I wish the best for Andrew Harris. He deserves to be in a place where he is appreciated, by both his GM and the fan base. He deserves to run behind a top level O Line, with a sound running game scheme. And a sound passing game scheme. Harris was excellent Sunday. And he put his body at risk as he always does. IMO he has been at a consistent level in all his games. Hard to run when the D blitzes the gaps, leaving no hole whatsoever. And you are keyed on by the D on each play, as the only true threat the O poses. And you are gang tackled on every play.

I will root for him wherever he plays. Can we replace him with a National? Not a chance. Can we replace him with an International or two? Probably, if not to the same level of versatility and effectiveness.

If the GM plays hardball with you, if the GM feels you have been too outspoken, if a sizeable number of the fan base is not enamoured with you or your play, it is time to move on to a better situation for yourself. So it seems to me. I say this as an advocate for Andrew Harris, as a fan.

As I said before, if he moves on, I will root for him to run wild, and of course for us to win.

Sorry Joe, I worded it the wrong way...I know that you are a huge AH fan...I meant to say that the sentiment that exists on this board that he is "just another RB", which I don't get...sorry for that Joe!

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:

No question that Stubler was a key factor and a factor that went under the radar in our 2011 Grey Cup season ..and our defense was the key to that season. The introduction of 'Jaques Ball', rather than the spread offence also helped as did the introduction into the offence of Harris and Arland Bruce part way through that season. Bruce's positive attitude was a breath of fresh air after three seasons of diminishing play and a terrible start in 2011.

Wally's comments that Harris 'needed to prove himself' in the final third of this season said all about Wally's attitude. Wally, the legend, also needed to prove himself this season too, and didn't, even though he would never think that way.

I still can't believe that we didn't get Westerman signed this off-season. Instead of playing beside his brother in an impressive stadium on the West Coast, in a stunning city, he chose the cold of Winnipeg instead. He could have been a real difference maker to our defense, allowed us to play an import free safety. Instead he went on to lead the CFL in sacks for Winnipeg.

Blitz, I agree, not getting Westerman's brother was a huge loss IMO. Far too many of them since say 2007/2008.

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:

Sorry Joe, I worded it the wrong way...I know that you are a huge AH fan...I meant to say that the sentiment that exists on this board that he is "just another RB", which I don't get...sorry for that Joe!
No problem, MLF. Words can be imprecise. Yup, a huge AH fan. As are we both. :thup:

Blitz
Team Captain

Here is the cold, hard reality. Andrew Harris finished first in combined yards in the CFL and second in rushing in the CFL (and would have won the rushing title if he had been played more in our final regular season game) and he also caught 53 passes for 484 yards and a 9.1 yd average. Harris tied for 2nd place in CFL touchdowns scored this season.

Manny Arsenault finished 4th in CFL receiving and was 2nd in terms of average yards per reception for any CFL receiver who gained over 1,000 yards. Arsenault got most of his passing yardage when Jennings became our quarterback in the last 6 regular season games.

Our improved offence, when Jennings became our starter, was still not enough to raise our offensive ranking from 8th in terms of total points scored by a CFL offence. Both players were stars on an offence, as was Jennings late in the season, on an offence that really struggled for most of this season.

In a 9 team league our offence, while ranking third in protecting the quarterback in terms of sacks, finished:

8th in scoring
8th in net offence
8th in first downs
8th in team rushing
7th in turnovers
9th in time of possession

The picture is not pretty on defense either

7th in points allowed by the opposition offence
8th against the rush
6th against the pass
9th in terms of how long our defense was on the field (time of opposition possession)

Harris and Arsenault, along with Jennings and Hawkins later in the season, were the key pieces on our offence.

On defense, Brooks, Bighill, and Phillips were our key pieces along with the play of Lokombo when he got into the rotation, as well as his play on special teams. Menard also showed that he continues to have upside.

But overall, statistically, we did not even deserve a playoff spot, in that we were not the 6th best team in the CFL and our playoff spot hides that fact. We won 3 games out of our last 6 with Jennings at quarterback and that resulted in our berth to play Calgary. We were very fortunate to get some good play out of a rookie quarterback.

There is a lot of work to get done and we really can't afford to lose any good players, with no guarantee of being able to replace them. That lesson should have been learned during our last off-season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)