Lions 9 @ Calgary 35 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

zeppo wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Ha ha ha. Told you guys so lilns suck here in Seattle were the place is packed and loud . watch the attendance go down to 15 k. Next year what a joke of a team league and franchise . good bye suvkets I am watching the real league

[This poster has been banned. -- Mod Staff]

If you ban him, how can I mock him next summer when Jon Jennings is not in the NFL as dupsdell1 "guaranteed" that he would be.
The great thing about posters like him is that they always end up saying incredibly stupid things that come back to
haunt them down the road. I may be in a minority, but let the guy say his piece. He is more amusing than offensive IMO
More sad than anything....if showing up on this forum to stir the pot with ill-formed thoughts and deliberate incorrect spelling provided them some sort of misguided entertainment...well....I don't envy them their life.
Blitz
Team Captain

This game reflected our season. Poor coaching on both sides of the football and special teams, bad penalties, and deficient in some key areas, personell wise.

The Calgary Stampeders exemplify excellent coaching. They struggled all season long with lots of injuries and they still went 14-4. In this game, Calgary suffered a number of injuries offensively in this game. They lost their offensive center early and then both guards were injured and they had to play two defensive tackles at guard. They also had to use Cote, their fullback as a slot back for most of the game. And yet Bo Levi Mitchell was not sacked and Calgary outscored us the rest of the game, even with those injuries.

I really don't believe there is that much of a difference, talent wise between the two teams that played today. But Calgary is disciplined, well coached, and a very together team with player leadership.

This game also highlighted the difference between our coordinators and Calgary's. Calgary lost the best running back in the league and integrated Messam into their offence very successfully. They took a receiver in Rogers and turned him into the CFl's top receiver in no time at all. Dickenson exploited Mark Washington's defense and exploited his philosophy and its weaknesses. He used Messam skillfully and he had a game plan that exploited the seams in our zone defense. Without a pass rush, we played passively in pass defense and dropping a lot of defenders into pass coverage was the worst way to play Calgary.

Offensively, we started well. But Stubler had scouted our offence well and had a very good game plan in place. He was not going to blitz Jennings, who has poise in the pocket and an accurate arm. Instead, Stubler mosty rushed four against Jennings but had his defensive backs well scouted on our tendencies and they were jumping routes. In the first quarter, when we had a second and two, and we lined up in the spread, Stubler run blitzed his safety and he shut down Harris for a loss.

When Lulay came into the game, Stubler changed tactics and broght the blitz. Its the book on Lulay - bring pressure because he will often bail early if his first read is not there and then don't allow him to run. Lulay was ineffective, as I expected. Sad but true. You could also see the change in body language of a number of our offensive players when Lulay came into the game. Jennings was our hope for an upset and now he was injured.

On special teams, while we didn't have any punts blocked, we took penalty after penalty on punt and kick returns. That McMann was even in place as our special teams coach for this game was unusual - any other special teams coach would have been fired long ago, even if he was the GM or Head Coach's son.

I would like to see Tedford back next season. But he needs help. Cortez is basically a spread offence rigid offensive coordinator. With Jennings at quarterback our offence played a lot better but the reality is that Cortez, like Wally, is past his best due date. We didn't score a touchdown against Stubler's defense in this game and in fact we never scored a touchdown against Stubler's defence in our three regular season games either.

On defense, Mark Washington should not be back. His defense folded at the end of last season, was terrible for most of this season, both due to scheme and bad personell decisions, and our defense could not even take advantage of two defensive tackles playing guard, an inexperienced center thrust into action, and a full back playing slot back. We still sat back and it didn't work.

Personell wise, we really need to draft better. For example, Calgary has drafted two all-star centers over the past four years while we were stuck having to use an import at center this year, after unsuccessful attempts to turn Valli and Norman into effective centers.

We badly need a rush end who can get consistent pressure on a quarterback. In our defensive backfield, Clarke struggled on the outside and we still havent' found a weak side corner who can get it done.

We also use our personell poorly. We really didn't take advantage of the skills of Andrew Harris as a pass receiver this season as we should have. We sat Jeffers Harris on the practice roster this season while playing the less than impressive Bryan Burnham. We used Gore all season at wide side wide out, even though he has a consistent record of droppsies and can't get deep. Adekulo sat on the bench even though he has a better skill set.

Defensively, we spent the majority of the season with the undersized Roh at defensive tackle, stuck with the aging Smith at defensive end, misused Westerman and Bighill for most of the season, and underutilized David Menard.

The biggest problem with our team is that we are a plug and play team, offensively and defensively, instead of adapting our schemes to our personell. On offence, we used the spread, even with tight ends and then used tight end sets at times after getting rid of them. On defense, we have a ball hawking style of secondary that is forced to play passive zone defense, often using a 3 man pass rush. Both of our coordinators did not adapt our offence to our personell at all.

Special team coaching is such a joke its not even worth mentioning again. The timing of our wall of blockers and Rainy on kick off returns looked like a badly coached pee wee team who had rarely practiced special team play.

Angus Reid recently commented that its time for change at the top. There is not an interview that our "legend" GM will not run towards but he is not getting the job done and there is just too much favoritism in this Leo organization.

I'll always be a Leos fan but something has to change. Its not the losing but how we lose. Its not the poor play as much as its about the dum decisions personell wise. Its not our struggles but the dum penalties game after game and the keep on doing the same things when its obvious that some of them don't work. Its the rigid, black and white thinking that is a reflection of Buono that drives me crazy.

Lots to discuss this off-season. Thanks to many Leo players who played with a lot of heart and deserved better. Thanks to all the fans who still supported this team and to all Lionbackers for all the inspired comments. I love CFL football and I'm a die hard Leos fan but that is being severely tested right now.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Ironically the player we were most concerned about going in turned out to be our best player. And when your punter and field goal kicker is among your most consistent performers on the day, you've got problems. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Not only that but like the rest of the team even he was basically outplayed by his counterparts. Leone averaged 49.0yds on his eight punts while Maver outkicked him for a 55.2avg on his nine. Same story on kickoffs, Leone only kicked off twice and averaged 63.5 (coming down on about the 11-12YL). Paredes's five kickoffs avg'ed 69.2. So we were basically spotting Cgy 5yds of field position with every boot of the ball.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Good post, Blitz. Can you imagine if it was us instead of Cgy who had to deal with those injury problems today and deploy players out of position? It would have made the disaster in Mtl a year ago look like a nailbiter.

Not sure if Cgy will get all those bodies back in time for their WF date in Edm next week. If not, will be interesting to see how a team with a better handle on what they're doing exploits the situation.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Excellent post, Blitz. Great detail.

Four teams left. Four teams with excellent coaching staffs. Excellent management also, although I am not so sure about Ed Hervey as GM. He might be just riding along with the coaching of Chris Jones. But he did choose Chris Jones and hire him.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Where would I find a list of upcoming free agents? Might as well combine my Christmas shopping with my Lion's wish list....
I doubt many free agents would consider signing here given the state of the franchise.
Blitz
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Good post, Blitz. Can you imagine if it was us instead of Cgy who had to deal with those injury problems today and deploy players out of position? It would have made the disaster in Mtl a year ago look like a nailbiter.

Not sure if Cgy will get all those bodies back in time for their WF date in Edm next week. If not, will be interesting to see how a team with a better handle on what they're doing exploits the situation.
sj-roc wrote:
Most succinct summary of this game I can offer is, the 14-4 team played like a 14-4 team.... and the 7-11 team played like a 7-11 team.

This says it all.... That second quarter was a killer... after the Rianey drop, we seemed to never get close to the goal line... Now for the off-season decision-making.
Life is good....Dusty
If we had the injuries that Calgary had this season, sj-roc Wally would have consistently whined to the media about the injuries and used them at every opportunity. Hufnagel just focuses on getting the job done.

Stubler has won a Grey Cup in Calgary last season with an excellent defense, had the best defense in the CFL this season, we didn't score a touchdown in 4 games against Calgary this season....and yet Wally criticized Stubler publically before dumping him at the end of 2013 - and I was upset because Stubler deserved better. Heck, Stubler set records in 2012 for having the best Leos and one of the best CFL defenses of all time in 2012 and our defense in 2013 was one of the best in the league.

Now, we have Mark Washington, due to WB's 'legendary' brilliance.

Calgary better get some healthy bodies back before next Sunday because Chris Jones is not Mark Washington...he will exploit if he gets the chance.

Jennings has a broken collar bone...not too bad of one from initial reports.

I'm usually not one for converting players into coaches but I would love to see Travis as a quarterback coach in the future. I would also love to get Barrin Miles back here. Miles would be a great choice as special teams and defensive backfield coach.

The only coaches I want to see back here is Tedford, Malone, and Holland. Hard to assess Robin Ross...he did a good job with Brooks and Minter and he didn't make the decisions with regard to the use of Roh and Westerman...those were Wally's choices and Wally himself said this season that he pushed for Roh to be moved inside and it was his decision to have Westerman moved outside.

Thanks for your comment and all your posts this season WCJ and doing commentary of each game as it went along. I know you are disappointed. I still believe we have a lot of good players on this team. We need a few changes obviously if we are going to be better next season but I still believe the biggest problems are Wally and coaching.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With all due respect to Blitz, I must disagree that there is not much difference in talents between Calgary and BC. Calgary clearly have better talent and depth and this was shown when their starting centre and 2 guards were lost in the game.

The problems that were evident from game 1 were again evident in today's game, namely lack of a pass rush, undisciplined penalties, passive defence, lack of a creative game plan.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Thanks for your comment and all your posts this season WCJ and doing commentary of each game as it went along. I know you are disappointed. I still believe we have a lot of good players on this team. We need a few changes obviously if we are going to be better next season but I still believe the biggest problems are Wally and coaching.
:thup: You are welcome, Blitz. And thank you for all your in depth commentary and viewpoints.

One of the benefits of retirement = time for hobbies. Posting football.

Disappointed? Yeah. But most of the pain was absorbed during our slide down the slope since 2011. The pain is much more dull now. And the games are still interesting.

Re: Wally. I can't help but think that he still believes he has the magic touch. Despite much evidence to the contrary. As long as Braley is the owner, Wally's future is in his own hands. We are 7 and 11. And actually 7 and 12 now.

Drafting ... Fail this year. Many fails over the years.

Developing talent ... Nowhere near the top teams in the league with National talent.

Recruiting talent ... Internationals. Receivers? Not near the top. LBs? Very good. DBs? Average results. DLine? Average results.

Building the fan base ... Fail.

Building the brand ... Fail. Messing up with Remembrance Day? That falls on Skulsky, Buono and Tedford all together, probably in that order.

Listening to the fans ... Fail.

Hiring the Head Coach ... Fail with Benny. And thus far, a Fail with Jeff Tedford.

Preferred systems and philosophy ... IMO a Fail, as the best teams have adapted to changes in the game.

Autonomy for the Head Coach and the coaching staff ... It seems to this fan we pretty much ran systems that Wally has always preferred. IMO ... Fail. Did we need a younger version of Wally with Benny? Or did we need a different kind or type of coach altogether, with a different philosophy? Did Wally have too much influence with the systems and player decisions this year? It seems to be that way in the view of this fan. Once again, if you are successful it is certainly OK for the GM to have all things his way, as with Hufnagel and Austin. But if you are not successful, and if there seems to be dysfunction between the levels of leadership you have an organizational problem. And it shows on the field. (At least Wally was not on the rooftop or the tower this year.)

Work in the community ... Excellent. But to this fan, it seems the charisma is losing its effect, a direct result of the win/loss record, and the decreasing quality of the product on the field. And it seems to this fan, that his work with the media is losing its charm.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OK, I will do some stats ...
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 10/19 119 0 0
J. JENNINGS 4/7 56 0 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. COLLIE 4 46 0 30
A. HARRIS 3 28 0 11
E. ARCENEAUX 2 28 0 23
L. HAWKINS 2 28 0 14
B. BURNHAM 1 24 0 24
C. RAINEY 1 11 0 11
S. GORE 1 10 0 10

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 14 79 0 14
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 3 12 0 5
T. LULAY 3 8 0 6
C. RAINEY 1 10 0 10
J. JENNINGS 1 2 0 2
B. BURNHAM 1 2 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
A. HARRIS 1 1 0 0
A. COLLIE 1 0 0 0
M. BROOKS 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

R. LEONE
3/3 40 0/0 9

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. LEONE 8 49.0 341 63

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. RAINEY 7 47 6.7 12 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. LEONE 2 127 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. RAINEY 4 42 10.5 20 0
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 1 11 11.0 11 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. BIGHILL 5 0 0 0
J. WESTERMAN 4 0 0 0
B. LOKOMBO 4 0 0 0
A. BAZZIE 3 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 2 0 0 0
S. CLARKE 2 0 0 0
Z. MINTER 2 0 0 0
R. YELL 1 0 0 1
A. HOFFMAN-ELLIS 1 0 0 0
M. BROOKS 1 0 0 0
B. BURNHAM 1 0 0 0
R. CURRAN 1 0 0 0
T. LEE 1 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 1 0 0 0

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
B. MITCHELL 15/24 199 2 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
J. MESSAM 4 81 0 61
E. ROGERS 4 71 2 33
A. PARKER 3 24 0 22
M. MCDANIEL 3 11 0 8
J. WEST 1 12 0 12

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
J. MESSAM 15 66 1 15
M. WALTER 1 4 0 4
B. MITCHELL 1 2 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
J. MESSAM 1 1 0 0
S. WILSON 1 0 0 0
J. BELL 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

R. PAREDES
1/1 30 2/2 5

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. MAVER 9 55.2 450 77

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. DAWSON 5 49 9.8 17 0
J. WALL 1 2 2.0 2 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. PAREDES 5 346 79 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. DAWSON 2 49 24.5 26 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
D. MAYO 8 1 0 0
B. SMITH 6 0 0 0
F. BISHOP 4 0 0 0
M. JOHNSON 3 1 0 0
F. BELTRE 3 1 0 0
J. WALL 3 0 0 0
B. MCDONALD 3 0 0 0
J. BELL 3 0 0 0
J. SIMPSON 2 0 0 1
B. BOUDREAUX 1 1 0 0
K. RAYMOND 1 0 1 0
C. EVANS 1 0 0 0
G. LOVE 1 0 0 0
J. TURNER 1 0 0 0
J. HECHT 1 0 0 0

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Penalties ... Ugly.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stats not all that different.

Except sacks and pressure on the QB. 4 sacks for Calgary. 0 for us. Did we attack the DLinemen playing guard? Didn't seem to. Same for the substitute centre.

I thought Andrew Harris gave his all once again. It seems many fans are not all that keen on him. And I expect Wally is not all that keen as well. Andrew would do well to move on, and find a more comfortable situation. Better run game. A GM that truly values him. Ottawa? Hamilton? Calgary? That would be amazing. Cornish might be finished. Who knows? Regina? Edmonton? I would expect there will be suitors, so to speak. 79 yards on 14 carries. Plus 3 for 28 on passes.

Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:With all due respect to Blitz, I must disagree that there is not much difference in talents between Calgary and BC. Calgary clearly have better talent and depth and this was shown when their starting centre and 2 guards were lost in the game.

The problems that were evident from game 1 were again evident in today's game, namely lack of a pass rush, undisciplined penalties, passive defence, lack of a creative game plan.
With all due respect TheLionKing I still don't believe there is that much difference in talent between the two teams. That didn't mean that I thought the talent level was equal, nor did I say so. I was anticipating this type of post, at some point, from you though.

In this game, statistically, we had more offensive yardage than Calgary. I don't support your point that Calgary had more depth because they played a lineman at center in this game who had no experience at center and a defensive lineman at right guard. They only dressed 6 offensive lineman in this game. I see the fact that Calgary played two people in positions that had not played there before, not as an example of talent and depth but an example more of coaching. Calgary changed its game plan when Lavartu got injured. When they had to insert a defensive lineman at right guard, they completely changed their game plan.

Calgary didn't have depth in this game at receiver either. They had to go with Cote, their fullback, at slot back after their National receiver got injured.

I think your comments re: undisciplined penalties, passive defense, lack of creative game plan go more to the root of most of our problems. The inverse for Calgary is that they don't take many penalties, they played aggressive defense, and they had an excellent game plan. For example, on Messam's long pass, Calgary believed that Bighill is good in the box but loses technique in open space and that was why they threw to Messam in the flat for his huge 61 yard pass play.

Certainly, though we lack talent in a couple of key areas and I mentioned those - slot back receiver (although we had Jeffers Harris on the roster all year and only used him in one game), National wide receiver (Gore's inconsistency in catching footballs) defensive end (the aging Smith, the undersized Bazzie have not been the answer to having a dominant rush end) and weakside corner (Parks nor Clarke got it done), I don't believe that our team\'s talent level is significantly different than some of the best teams and we just need a few new talented players in some key spots.

Instead, I see our 'systems', penalties, game planning, play calling as the most deficient areas of our football team and not our talent.
Blitz
Team Captain

I thought Andrew Harris gave his all once again. It seems many fans are not all that keen on him. And I expect Wally is not all that keen as well. Andrew would do well to move on, and find a more comfortable situation. Better run game. A GM that truly values him. Ottawa? Hamilton? Calgary? That would be amazing. Cornish might be finished. Who knows? Regina? Edmonton? I would expect there will be suitors, so to speak. 79 yards on 14 carries. Plus 3 for 28 on passes. WCJ
Andrew Harris was our best offensive weapon in this game. His fumble led to 2 points but overall, he had a good game.

Andrew Harris looked inconsistent this season but I don't believe he played inconsistently. For most of this season, defenses stacked the box against him and spied him in the passing game. They believed that if they shut down Harris, they shut down our offence.

Harris had some big games for us and he had games in which he didn't even hit double digits in running. That was often due to how defenses played us. You can't run easily on first down against a defense that is using 6 or 7 defenders against us while we are in the spread offence and run blocking with 5 offensive lineman. There were games that Harris ran into a brick wall every time he got a handoff. Still, he finished second in league rushing and if we had played him more in our final regular season game, he would have won the rushing title.

The word is that Harris and our Leos are very far apart on a contract.

If there is any reason why Harris should not return, it has been that he has gone public on occasion with comments criticising our offensive strategies. That has not been wise. The first time Harris said something Wally brought in Stefan Logan. I don't believe his comments have gone down well with Wally nor will Wally open up the wallet for Harris. He could afford to, especially with the fact that there will be a lot more money next year, coming from Lulay's salary.

I would like to see Harris back. Having a National tailback who can get the job done is a real plus. Hufnagel traded for Messam rather than play an import tailback in Calgary, when Cornish got hurt. He knows what a National tailback can mean to the ratio.

But I don't believe we will see Harris back. I think he'll end up in Winnipeg.