Leos/Stamps Semi-Final - KEYS TO THE GAME

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Its late autumn. Autumn is both nostalgia and anticipation. There is a wisdom in autumn if we search for it. Autumn is the smell of coffee on a frosty morning and the scent of apple and cinnamon in the evening, before the cold black and white of winter. But most of all, autumn is PLAYOFF FOOTBALL, when the ground is colder, the hits are harder and every play is magnified in importance.

As our Leos prepare to travel to Calgary to take on the Stamps in the 2015 Western Semi-Final there is nostalgia in the air that’s derived from football memories of times past - a Willie Fleming dash to the end zone, a Darren Flutie and a Geroy Simon key playoff reception, a Lui Passaglia winning field goal, or a Sean Millington power run wth tacklers boucing off him, as he seeks the goal line.

There is also anticipation of a possible upset, as our Leos ended the season behind a rookie quarterback who was the best in the CFL over his 6 starts, with a rejuvenated Manny Arsenault, with the support of a missile seeking rocket in Adam Bighil, and uplifted with the play of a ball hawking Ryan Phillips.

But we also need to remind ourselves that we are playing the Calgary Stampders at home. The Stamps had the best home record in the CFL at 8-1 and had the best defense in the CFL, only giving up league low 16.1 points per game. The Stamps also came into this season, coming off a 15-3 season and are the defending Grey Cup champions.

If we want to defeat the Stamps, we will have to overcome the following:

THE HUFNAGEL FACTOR

Hufnagel is in his eighth and final season as the Stamps GM and Head Coach. Since Hufnagel returned to the CFL, he has made Buono look a second tier Head Coach and GM. His 88-37-1 mark gives him a career winning percentage of .702, which is best among coaches with at least 100 games on the sidelines.

The Stamps have reached double digits in victories in each of Hufnagel’s eight seasons at the helm. Hufnagel’s 88 regular-season wins going into this season were 17 more than any other West team during that seven-year stretch. The Stamps went 14-4 this season, winning twice as many games as our Leos.

Hufnagel has the ability to adapt and adapt quickly. He came back to the CFL with a repuation as an innovative CFL offensive coordinator in the past. Hufnagel was the coach who introduced the spread offence to the CFL in his earlier time in Calgary. It was an offence that tore up the CFL and Hufnagel’s play book from those days has been the “Bible’ for Leos offensive football during Buono’s reign in B.C.

But Hufnagel did not return to the CFL as a pass first spread offence devotee. Instead, from his first season back in the CFL, as an offensive consultant to our B.C. Lions, Hufnagel emphased the running game and our Leos cashed in behind the legs of Joe Smith. During Hufnagel’s tenure as Head Coach, he has led the best rushing attack in the CFL during that time period. Jon Cornish has been the CFL’s dominant running back for most of those years.

Hufnagel has a shrewd eye for talent, both at the player level and the coaching level and he knows how to develop both as well. Hufnagel wisely signed Dave Dickenson, when we dumped him and skillfully mentored him into a successful offensive coordinator and the person who will succeed him.

Hufnagel hired the disparaged Rich Campbell from Edmonton and Campbell became a smart defensive coordinator who has also enjoyed outstanding success as Head Coach in Ottawa. Hufnagel took all of 15 seconds to hire Rich Stubler, when we uncerominiously dumped him. Stubler’s defensive knowledge was a key factor in the Stamps winning the Grey Cup last season and his defense was the CFL’s best this season.

Hufnagel has also drafted skillfully and traded wisely. For example, while our Leos struggled to find a center to replace Angus Reid (we tried unsuccessfully to convert Valli and Norman to the center position and had to use an import this season) Hufnagel picked up Brett Jones in the second round of the CFL draft and he went on to win Outstanding Rookie in his first season and Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman in his second season.

But Hufnagel was ready for Jones departure to the NFL. He drafted Pierre Lavertu in the first round of 2014, tradimg veteran Jon Gott to the Ottawa RedBlacks in order to acquire the top pick and the Stamps haven’t missed a beat with the physical Lavertu.

This season, Jon Cornish was expected to return from his concussion after the bye week but Hufnagel took no chances in wanting to protect Bo Levi Mitchell. Hufnagel shipped rookie kicker Tyler Crapigna, a 2016 third-rounder, as well as a unnamed negotiation-list player to the Riders for Messam and a 5th round pick, wanting to be sure that he would be able to keep the offensive ratio intact and play two import defensive tackles. Cornish was unable to return, Messam has continued his fine play this season, and the Stamps have been able to play two import tackles. It was another very wise move on the part of Hufnagel.

Those kinds of decisions, and there are many more, are the reason why Buono has been playing second fiddle to Hufnagel since Hufnagel returned to the CFL.

If we are going to win this game, we will have to at least match the smarts of Hugnagel in terms of preparation, game planning, and in game adjustments.

THE EXPERIENCE FACTOR

Certainly there is a lot of discussion about the play of rookie Jonathan Jennings prior to the Western Semi-Final for good reason. In his six games as the club’s starter, the six-foot, 195-pound former Saginaw Valley State star ranks third overall in passing yards – behind Ottawa’s Henry Burris and Edmonton’s Mike Reilly – but stands first in TD strikes (15) and quarterback efficiency (108.9).

Jennings, 23, became just the sixth quarterback in league history to exceed 1,000 yards passing in his first three starts, Only Jeff Garcia and Tobin Rote threw for more yards than Jennings’ total of 1,017 over that span.But it’s also important to remember that he has only 6 pro starts and no pro playoff experience.

Calgary will start Bo Levi Mitchell. Last season everyone expected Drew Tate to take over the reigns in Calgary. But Hufnagel chose Mitchell instead. Mitchell went on to set a number of club and league records, including the best record for a starting quarterback in league history (12 wins, 1 loss), as well as becoming the Grey Cup MVP. Mitchell has continued his fine play this season.

Mitchell will also be throwing to the CFL’s leading receiver in Rogers. The Stamps have also replaced Cornish with Jerome Messam, who finished the season in almost a dead heat with Andrew Harris in combined yards. And even though Harris ran for over 1,000 yards, our Leos finished 8th in rushing this season. A rookie quarterback’s best friend is often a solid ground attack, but even with Andrew Harris our Leos were 8th in overall rushing this season,

Jennings will also be playing the CFL’s best defense. Once again Stubler has taken a defence and made it an outstanding one very quickly. Stubler’s defense last year was good enough to help win a Grey Cup for Calgary.Jennings will face a Calgary defence that allowed a league-low 16.1 points per game.

Jennings will have to play well, we’ll need an excellent offensive game plan, and we’ll need to come up with big plays, as we have recently, in order to defeat a very good defense that should be well prepared for our tendencies.

We will only be able to overcome Calgary's experience with inspired play, as well as not making stupid mistakes or taking dum penalties. A lot of things will need to go right in order for Calgary's experience to not be a factor.

DEFENSE, SPECIAL TEAMS, TURNOVERS

Usually playoff football comes down to defense, special teams play, and turnovers. While our defense has improved a lot of late, our defense goes into this game 8th against the rush and 6th against the pass.

Our special teams have been more than wanting. We don’t even know for sure if we will go back to the struggling Leone or Fera, who missed two field goals in his only game he played this season but punted well.

Our special teams have been a disaster in terms of preparation under McMann. Chris Rainey’s ability to take one all the way. Leone’s punting abilities, and Lokombo’s downfield tacklng have been the only bright spots. Calgary counters with the return of Tim Brown, who will bring back an added dimension to Calgary;s return units.

B.C.Lionfan always wisely points out the importance of turnovers. Calgary gave up the least amount of turnovers this season while our Leos finished 8th in that category. In terms of takeaways, Calgary finished 2nd in the CFL while our Leos finished 6th. Calgary was Plus 9 in the giveaway/ takeaway stats while our Leos finished a Minus 9.

If we want to win this game, our Leos defense cannot go conservative and passive as we did for most of the season under Mark Washington. Calgary will sustain long drives with their ability to run and to hit the underneath stuff consistently. We can't afford to play Buono conservative defensive football. If we want to win, we have to play aggressive, smart defense or the edge will go to Calgary's offence.

McMann must have our special teams prepared or someone like Tedford will have to and we’ll need some key special teams plays. Finally, we will need to win the turnover battle. Calgary is too good without our special teams giving us an edge.

WRAP

Almost every factor favors Calgary to win this game. But the playoffs are a new season and our Leos believe they can do it, which is important. An exciting rookie quarterback, the inspired play of Arsenault in the second half of the season, the addition of Hawkins, and the involvement of Tedford in our offence all provide hope.

Our recent defensive play, with more aggressive play calls at times, the tenacity of Brooks, the addition of Minter, the use of Westerman inside, a better defensive line rotation, increased quarterback pressures and sacks (often with the use of the blitz), the proper utilization of Bighill, and more assertive play in the secondary, due to increased pressure up front, also provide hope.

Who knows? Calgary will have to more than show up. A good early start to the game is critical. Its November. Its playoff football. Go Leos!! :roar: :beer:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

Blitz wrote:.....Calgary will have to more than show up. A good early start to the game is critical. Its November. Its playoff football. Go Leos!! :roar: :beer:
I don't know whether to hug or smack Jock Climie for his remark about Calgary only needing to show up in order to win. Big, big diss but any ammunition for the locker room notice board is more than welcome!

Checked the weather for Calgary last night and it looks to be dry and slightly chilly so the elements may not have a big role to play. Not sure what the wind is supposed to be like...let's hope that it is not swirling for Leone's sake.

BTW a DJ on Victoria radio station the Q got a little confused as to who the Lions were going to suit up for the kicking duties this weekend. He saw a tweet from the Lions saying Richie Leone will be playing but he transposed the first and last name and thought Lionel Ritchie was going to be playing! So here's to hoping Richie "Hello" Leone gets over the yips and will be making converts and field goals "All Night Long"!
VictoriaFan
Starter

maybe the swirling winds will help Leone get it through the uprights ! :roar:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hello!, Is it you I'm kicking for?
I can see the uprights high
I will take it all in stride
And I'll try to kick the football
Deep inside.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
maxlion
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:So here's to hoping Richie "Hello" Leone gets over the yips and will be making converts and field goals "All Night Long"!
I'm sure Tedford would be "Dancing on the Ceiling" if that happened.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Hello!, Is it you I'm kicking for?
I can see the uprights high
I will take it all in stride
And I'll try to kick the football
Deep inside.
Man, Sir Percival, can you ever sing!!!! :thup: :thup: :thup:
Well my friends the time has come
To raise the roof and have some fun
Time to tackle, pass and run
There’s a playoff game to be won
The first two lines are from Lionel.

Sorry that my verse doesn't have the deep soul sound of Roar You Lions Roar (which is probably TheLionKing's fave song :wink: )
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

A good article about Lavelle Hawkins and Austin Collie as we prepare for the Stamps

Lions’ ‘wild card’ pair aim to flush favoured Stamps

Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun 11.11.2015 | ​

Lions' QB Jennings talks long plays to Lavelle Hawkins

​​Tedford taps Richie Leone to lace up for Lions' kicks

One is, by nature, a garrulous sort. Lavelle Hawkins is inclined toward chattiness, accessibility and dancing in the locker-room, almost at the sheer joy of being a football player.

As a wide receiver, his enthusiasm is catching.

The other is, by nature, guarded, buttoned-down, aloof — and the “worst interview” on the team, according to the fast-talking Hawkins. But he can get away by saying rude things about Austin Collie, perhaps the greatest receiver in the history of BYU football, because they were roommates in the NFL, live under the same roof in the CFL and remain close friends off the football field.

“Austin! Reporters say they hate talkin’ to you!” Hawkins chided Collie after a B.C. Lions practice Thursday.

A day earlier, they celebrated Austin’s 30th birthday by taking in the Cirque du Soleil touring show, Kooza, currently playing in Vancouver. It’s the story of a melancholy loner searching for his place in the world, interspersed with acrobatics and the art of clowning.

Sounds a bit like the Lions’ Odd Couple.

“They are the Odd Couple,” agrees veteran Lions receiver Courtney Taylor. “They are way different. They’re total opposites. But that’s how good friendships are. When they first came here, they kind of stuck together. It took a while to get to know them. But you always respect professionalism. And they’re professionals. They’re big additions to our offence.”

Yet, it’s Taylor, another former NFL receiver, who will be the odd man out again this week, as the Lions prepare to face the Calgary Stampeders in the West Division semifinal Sunday at McMahon Stadium.

With Hawkins, Bryan Burnham and Manny Arceneaux returning to the lineup — all were healthy scratches in last Saturday’s 28-7 loss to the Stamps in Vancouver — Taylor, who is so disarmingly cheerful, so relentlessly positive about all things, can’t wait to see them play, even if he won’t.

“We’re the wild card,” Taylor says. “If you look at our season, we were the most up and down team in the CFL. The thing is, we were never consistent enough, in all phases. But, I look at this team and think, ‘If we can get it together, like Toronto did in 2012 (the 9-9 Argos won the Grey Cup over the Stampeders) ...’ I remember that. Nobody wanted to play them. We see people not really giving us a chance. And I’m thinking, do these people not know football? Speaking as an outsider — because I’m not playing — anything can happen.”

An aerial explosion — since rookie quarterback Jonathon Jennings played his first significant minutes in a relief role Sept. 18 in Calgary — should force a rethink of what is possible, Taylor says. In his six starts, from Sept. 26 to Nov. 1, Jennings threw more touchdown passes (15) and completed more plays longer than 30 yards than any CFL quarterback. (He was rested last Saturday).

With Jennings behind centre, Arceneaux has been on fire, with 43 catches for 655 yards in his past seven games. But so has Hawkins. He has 34 catches for 612 yards over that same span. By comparison, Calgary’s Eric Rogers, the CFL’s leading receiver, has 34 catches for 563 yards in a similar time frame.

Hawkins, who played for Jeff Tedford when he was coach of the Cal Bears, was one of the most underrated receivers in the 2008 NFL draft. He was totally off the radar after breaking his arm in the first day of Lions’ training camp this year. It was assumed he might go home to Stockton, Calif. and never come back. Yet, there he was, in Montreal, on Sept. 3, making his CFL debut and scoring his first CFL touchdown on his first catch, a 10-yard throw from John Beck.

“I had it in my mind that I’d be back by September,” Hawkins says. “Even my physiotherapist thought that was questionable. We got the wing strong, and it’s been holding up ever since.”

He loves the way the Lions’ offence has perked up under Jennings. Now that the genie is out of the bottle, Hawkins believes defensive coordinators are going to have trouble putting it back.

“He’s tough to guard. He’s very quick. And that makes it hard for people to know where he’s going,” Jennings says of Hawkins. “He’ll beat you one way one time, and then he’ll beat you a different way the next. It’s tough to figure him out.”

Is this the new normal for the Lions? Tough to figure out? If so, the favoured Stampeders might need an antidote for the affable non-stop talker and his grim Odd Couple roomie, the one who burns inside to succeed.

mbeamish@vancouversun.com
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/morris-lions- ... ulder-load

Jim Morris, cfl.ca, some excerpts ...
VANCOUVER - One day during training camp B.C. Lions’ middle linebacker Adam Bighill pulled second-year defensive end David Menard aside for a chat.

“I told him listen man, you are going to have a great season,’” Bighill remembers. “I think you are a great player and I’m excited to watch you play.

“I told a lot of people that even before the season started.”

Bighill’s confidence in Menard, and the rest of the Lions’ defence, seemed misplaced early in the season. But the Lions (7-11) will head into Sunday’s Western Conference Semi-Final against the Calgary Stampeders (14-4) with a defence that has finally found its roar.
Absolutely right. Menard is very, very hard to block. Not tall. Not overly heavy. But very, very strong, agile and skilled. :thup:
Menard, who the Lions took 32nd overall from the University of Montreal in the 2014 draft, is one of the players who has advanced his game.

The six-foot-one, 265-pound native of Chicoutimi, Que., finished the season tied for second on the Lions with six sacks. Five of those came in the final six games.

“I think I am working pretty much the same way, maybe it’s the outcome that is a little different,” said Menard.

“I always see the game the same way. I always do the same things.”

Menard, who usually rotates into the defensive end position, said playing his second full season has helped slow the game down.

“From game one to game 15 I got a little bit more mature in the game,” he said. “I see stuff I didn’t used to see because I was a bit more nervous. I wasn’t used to the play book. My vision has expanded to the game.”

Bighill’s vote of confidence in training camp did a lot to settle Menard’s nerves.

“Any time I have a teammate telling me those kind of things I appreciate it a lot,” he said. “It’s not like a coach telling you stuff. It’s the guy next to you.

“When he told me that, it boosted my confidence a little bit. If he told me that I had to believe it myself. I changed my approach to the game.”
The Calgary offensive line has been riddled with injuries which could open the door to the Lions putting more pressure on Mitchell.

“He’s sackable like every other quarterback,” said Menard.

“There are some quarterbacks that when they feel pressure they want to escape really quick. Bo Levi, he wants to throw the ball. That doesn’t make it easier, but you know he’s going to stay in the pocket maybe half a second longer.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David Menard, who showed very well at the Combine. With the weights and in the drills. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Like you, WCJ, I love Menard and felt he should have been getting more reps earlier this season.

Looks like Tedford gave the nod to Leone to kick in Calgary. I would have chosen Fera.

Tedford taps Richie Leone to lace up for Lions' kicks

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun November 12, 2015 11:12 PM

It has become a ritual of football at both the pro and college level. You just can’t have a quarterback. The coach has to name one (to the accompaniment of a figurative drum roll).

Indeed, the sports media has such a fascination about the naming of the quarterback that it’s probably their fault it seems so extraordinarily important — because they make it so.

The B.C. Lions approached Sunday’s playoff game against the Calgary Stampeders with a different twist this week, however, keeping everybody in suspense about the naming of a kicker. It was a given that rookie quarterback Jonathon Jennings would start his first post-season game.

And so, without future ado, the Lions kicker this week is — tah-dah! — Richie Leone, the same individual who did the kicking and punting chores for B.C.’s first 17 games. Anthony Fera, another rookie, went two-for-four in field goal attempts and punted for an average of 49.5 yards in last Saturday’s 28-7 loss to the visiting Stampeders.

Leone was one of several starters who sat out Game No. 18 for the Lions and seemed slightly miffed not to get the call. As well, after Saturday’s game, coach Jeff Tedford said there would be a “competition” in practice this week between Fera and Leone. It lasted two days — until Thursday, when the suspense, such as it was, came to an end. Tedford informed Leone he’d be the man.

“Competition, in a sense, brings the best out of everybody,” Leone said. “Anthony and I are both professionals. We put our best foot forward this week. I’m ready to roll.”

Leone, who has missed 11 converts this season, said a mental break was not as necessary as a physical one.

“When you’re a kicker, you do a lot of warming up on the sidelines, you do a lot of kicking in practice, you do a lot of kicking in games,” he said. “That’s a lot of kicking over a season. It was nice to have that game off. More for physical reasons than anything.”

The difference between the No. 1 kicker and the No. 2 kicker is so small, though, that the Lions probably couldn’t have gone wrong by picking either one. Yet it probably didn’t make sense to switch horses at such a late juncture in the season, much less in midstream.

“You couldn’t complain about my punting (against Calgary, Fera matched Leone’s league-leading average),” Fera said. “You’ve got to remember. I was a little rusty. I hadn’t played in two years (at the University of Texas). I thought I did pretty well. The two kicks I missed, I’d like to have them back. But I just missed on both of them. I thought I hit the 48-yard attempt (a miss) really good. But I have no excuses. No one’s purrfect.”

Tell that to Leone.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Our special teams have been more than wanting. We don’t even know for sure if we will go back to the struggling Leone or Fera, who missed two field goals in his only game he played this season but punted well.
Leone will play against Calgary
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David Menard reminds me of another defensive tackle Rick Klassen. Small in stature but tenacious.
Blitz
Team Captain

The Stamps are 9 point favorites.

Here is an article from the Calgary Sun, titled Where is the Love, in which some Calgary players say they don't get respect.

Well, they have a lot of respect from me....but they ain't getting NO LOVE.

One thing the article brings forward is that there are a number of vets on the Stamps who have been with the team for 10 years.

Sports Stampeders
Calgary Stampeders feel lack of respect heading into West semifinal By Scott Mitchell, Calgary Sun
Veteran Keon Raymond says Stamps have made a habit of winning, forcing folks to look elsewhere for new storylines.

If the Grey Cup playoffs took place on a runway in Italy, the Calgary Stampeders wouldn’t even get an invite.

They’re not the latest creation of Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Burberry or Dolce & Gabbana.

They’re just a pair of well-worn overalls that keep getting the job done season after season, game after game, win after win.

Eighteen games into their Grey Cup title defence, the Stampeders still don’t feel like they’re getting enough respect.

Whether you believe it’s a motivational mind trick or not, three Stampeders veterans who have been in Calgary since the John Hufnagel era began in 2008 are adamant it’s real.

“We just come in every year, win games, we’ve got two Grey Cups under our belt, and we never get any respect,” said linebacker Keon Raymond.

“I guess people expect, ‘Oh, Calgary is going to go out and they’re going to win 10-plus games and they’re going to be in the playoffs and that’s it.’ You see in the States where you look at the New England Patriots team that’s always, consistently contenders, they’re getting a lot of love. We don’t get that love. They’re always looking for somebody else to push that love to. No love for consistency, it’s always for the new thing.”

With the love comes the hate, and the always-in-the-news Patriots know all about that.

It’s just part of the deal.

The Stamps felt it last year heading into the playoffs when everyone was asking if they could get over the hump and complete the Grey Cup quest. They did just that.

They felt it again throughout this season, as the Edmonton Eskimos and Hamilton Tiger-Cats garnered most of the early headlines, before the Ottawa RedBlacks stole the show down the stretch.

The whole time, there were the Stampeders, just chugging away and reeling off a third-straight season of 14-plus wins.

They’re feeling it again heading into Sunday’s West Semifinal (2:30 p.m., TSN/News Talk 770) against the B.C. Lions (7-11), even though Las Vegas has installed the Stamps as nine-point favourites.

“I just feel like people get tired of the norm,” said middle linebacker Juwan Simpson. “And us winning has been the norm. Maybe not Grey Cups because every dog has its day, but you look at winning over the years, the norm is Calgary wins. People get tired of it, I guess. But we love it. We’ve always done it and we hope to continue to do it. We just use it as fuel. How can the defending champs come in on Day 1 and not be predicted to win again? We’ve been hearing this all year.”

Without a doubt, the Stampeders winning football games has become boring.

Maybe it’s the coach who doesn’t create many soundbites.

Maybe it’s the quarterback who always says the right thing.

Maybe it’s the group of veteran leaders who are closing in on a decade of service with the same franchise, something almost unheard of in today’s what-have-you-done-for-me-lately football landscape.

“I don’t know what it is,” Raymond said. “They can be bored of me while I count the rings on my fingers. That’s what it’s about. We could care less, man. It is what it is. Sometimes, it feels a little disrespectful, but you know, we can’t worry about things we can’t control.

“I look on the TV and I see a lot of B.C. highlights. TSN’s always at their practice and they get a lot of love. It is what it is. It’s nothing new to us, man. We’ll stay in the shadow and just come out and play our type of football.”

Stamps defensive back Brandon Smith, who has been in town since 2008 alongside Raymond and Simpson, knows how to get the respect that they feel is missing.

“We don’t need anybody to give us respect, we’ve just gotta go out and earn it,” Smith said. “Week after week, that’s what we do — earn our respect. Once all is said and done and we get to where we want to be, we’ll get the respect we deserve.”

scott.mitchell@sunmedia.ca
David
Team Captain

Oh please. They feel like they don't get any respect??

How about 8 West Division All-Stars, 90% of fans thinking they're going to win Sunday (online vote), and a TSN analyst telling a national television audience they just have to "show up to win?" And then there's the CFL on TSN Top 50 Players ranking this past June in which Bo Levi Mitchell and Jon Cornish were voted #1 and #2 in the league?

Give me a break. Whatever you need for motivation I guess. :dizzy:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
InUrFace
Rookie

All I know what ever game Calg plays the announcers praise them and thinking they are the best. Even when Cornish isnt in the line up they talk about him like hes a football god. It sickens me that they are aloud to be bias and always notice this.