Remembrance disgrace

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

veteranskip
prospect

Just wanted to say how insulting and disgusting it was to hear the BC lions, calling out plays, yelling, chanting, and fooling around today while the community they are supposedly so in touch with was observing 2 minutes of silence for our fallen war veterans! Not only could you not stop for a break, to remember and give thanks to the men and women who gave their lives so you could play a sport you love, but you didn't even have the decency to shut up for 2 minutes while the rest of the world did so. Shame on you all.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wasn't there but practice was scheduled to begin at 11:10 a.m. today so if players were making noise during the two minutes of silence at the nearby Whalley Cenotaph, they were likely doing so on their own.
veteranskip
prospect

What difference does that make?

No excuses....
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

Did you actually see them doing this? Were you at the practice field watching them do it?

If not, it's mere speculation.
veteranskip
prospect

If you are talking to me, then yes I was, I was directly across the street from the practice field.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

veteranskip wrote:If you are talking to me, then yes I was, I was directly across the street from the practice field.
did you complain to the lions office.

did you film it so they could identify the culprits.

you should have.

why did you not go over and tell them to shut up?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
veteranskip
prospect

I'm sorry, I was pre-occupied being respectful. And from what we could see, it was the entire team. Not looking for a fight, just thought it was inappropriate. And yes, we did try and contact someone in the office. Thanks for missing the point.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

While not making any excuses if true, one does have to bear in mind that,

A. Americans do not celebrate remembrance day so much as they do memorial day. The 11th hour of the 11th day doesn't resonate at all with many Americans.
B. while on the practice field, most probably aren't wearing watches. Someone on the team should be a little more on the ball but as a group of basically individuals with different takes on this, I think it comes with the territory

How many people today do you think took absolutely no notice or, nor observed anything regarding Nov. 11th? Including shops and other businesses. Quite a few. For example,

Bank of Montreal Credit Card Balance Protection salesmen called my wife today about 1 hour before the appointed time. Nothing like a national bank pitching services like that on what is supposed to be a National Day.

I'm much more disgusted by that than what was probably just an accidental oversight by a few players who may or may not have any understanding of the significance of a holiday in a country that possibly isn't their country of origin.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

veteranskip wrote:Just wanted to say how insulting and disgusting it was to hear the BC lions, calling out plays, yelling, chanting, and fooling around today while the community they are supposedly so in touch with was observing 2 minutes of silence for our fallen war veterans! Not only could you not stop for a break, to remember and give thanks to the men and women who gave their lives so you could play a sport you love, but you didn't even have the decency to shut up for 2 minutes while the rest of the world did so. Shame on you all.
I can neither criticize nor defend what allegedly went on during services today. I wasn't there. But I do agree that Mgt should have made sure that coaches and players take a moment at 11:00am to observe - even though they're busy getting ready for a playoff showdown. The Stampeders did.

For what it's worth, I was on a 2 hour conference call at 7:00am this morning with Head Office in Toronto (10:00am their time). It's not a Stat Holiday in Ontario (shame on them) and, not only was Remembrance Day not observed at 11:00am there, it wasn't even mentioned!

Not sure if this makes a difference to you or not, but the club produced a first-class video CLICK HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The coaching staff should have aware of today's significance. While it's an easy excuse to say the Americans may not be cognizant of Remembrance Day, there are Canadians on the team. Someone should have said something.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm as loyal as anybody to Remembrance Day. I go to the ceremonies, I wear the poppy and support veterans' causes financially. While deliberate disrespect (that is knowledge and forethought) shouldn't be tolerated, the case of people being thoughtless or unaware is never going to be stamped out. It is the nature of the creature. I would respectfully suggest that a polite call be made to the Lions head office by someone who had first hand experience of the event in question. It doesn't have to be acrimonious or impolite. It would be in the nature of an "FYI" call with the purpose of educating so that things can be done differently in future. That is all that is required here unless someone is willing to suggest that the Lions management and players deliberately set out to be disrespectful. Even a cynic like me won't buy into that suggestion.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:For what it's worth, I was on a 2 hour conference call at 7:00am this morning with Head Office in Toronto (10:00am their time). It's not a Stat Holiday in Ontario (shame on them) and, not only was Remembrance Day not observed at 11:00am there, it wasn't even mentioned!DH :cool:
Remembrance Day is also not a stat in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Manitoba.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:The coaching staff should have aware of today's significance. While it's an easy excuse to say the Americans may not be cognizant of Remembrance Day, there are Canadians on the team. Someone should have said something.
Its Veterans Day in the States on the 11th Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I don't think any of the excuses attempted here are valid. The team should be very socially responsible and should have made arrangements around this.
Big Time
Champion

Honour Dewalt wrote:I don't think any of the excuses attempted here are valid. The team should be very socially responsible and should have made arrangements around this.
This.

For a team that makes a point of saluting the veterans the last home game of every season, it is disappointing that they did not arrange practice around this. American, Canadian, or international, all our countries have veterans and people who have been lost so that we can enjoy freedoms like watching football. Stopping practice for two minutes to observe some silence is not too much to ask.