Jennings Gives Leos a Chance in Playoffs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Will Jennings be enough. Will he play well enough. Jonathan Jennings is not going to be able to get it done by himself. But Jennings gives us a shot if he can continue the way he has played in his first 6 pro starts...during those six games he threw more touchdowns and had a better quarterback efficiency average than any quarterback in the CFL, including Henry Burris and Bo Levi Mitchell - now that is impressive.

But to beat Calgary we'll need much more than Jennings playing a good game. To beat Calgary we'll need to have good game plans and play calling, as well as execution on both sides of the football to win. Just as important, we will not be able to afford the special teams assignment break downs that have plagued us this season. We haven't had all three units play really well in one game this season. But the playoffs are a new season and anything can happen.

There's excitement in the air, as well as hope, as we get ready for the Stamps.

Posted below is an excerpt from a Vancouver Sun article that focuses on Jennings as we prepare for the Semi-Final

Jon Jennings gives Lions a chance in the playoffs

But having a healthy Travis Lulay as a backup is great insurance

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun November 8, 2015

Rookie Jonathon Jennings is expected to get the start at quarterback on Sunday when the B.C. Lions play the Calgary Stampeders in the West semifinal.

The B.C. Lions and their fans have transitioned so quickly from the Travis Lulay era — embracing rookie quarterback Jonathon Jennings as their starter, in what seems like 10 minutes — that the notion of defeating the Calgary Stampeders in the West Division semifinal might not be so far-fetched.

Granted, the Lions will have to play over their heads to do it, Sunday afternoon at McMahon Stadium. But, led by their precocious quarterback, whose pocket awareness seems to be growing by the week, the Lions look to have more than a snowball’s chance.

It’s worth retracing how it came about, less than two months ago, when Lulay went down with a knee injury Sept. 3 in Montreal and backup John Beck joined him on the ‘unable to perform’ list two weeks later, damaging his pectoral area in the second quarter of a Sept. 18 game in Calgary.

Jennings, the third-stringer, came in to play because the Lions had no other alternative. Yet, immediately, he showed a lively arm and one of the rarest of gifts — at least for a young quarterback — great intuition. What his coaches and teammates liked most about his performance was how cool he remained under pressure and his boldness in attacking the defence, as if it was just an ordinary day at the office.

In his six games as a starter since then — from the period Sept. 26 to Nov. 1 — Jennings ranked third in the CFL in passing yards (behind Henry Burris and Mike Reilly), first in touchdown passes (15) and highest in quarterback efficiency (108.9) over that stretch.

You can win with him.

“I’ve done some good, I’ve done some bad,” Jennings said. “It’s been a learning experience. But I do feel I have experience now. I feel I have enough experience to go in there (Calgary) and make some plays. I’ve heard that, in the playoffs, there’s more elevated play. I welcome that. I’m ready to attack.”

In coach Jeff Tedford’s view, it was a relatively easy decision as to which quarterback gets to start the playoffs and which one was getting the night off for meaningless game No. 18. Jennings was dressed but didn’t get on the field Saturday night at BC Place, as the Stampeders closed out the Lions and the CFL regular season with a 28-7 win.

If the Lions were intent on sandbagging the Stampeders, going vanilla by demonstrating unimaginative plays, strategies and threats to an opponent they’ll face in six days’ time, the Leos succeeded admirably. B.C. did little to counter the notion that they’ll be massive underdogs Sunday. Lions fans can only hope it was partly a ploy, not the reality.

Not lng ago, the CFL was bemoaning the fact that its starting quarterbacks were getting long in the tooth and there didn’t seem to be many twentysomethings on the rise. That’s no longer true.

Only 25, Calgary’s Bo Levi Mitchell, already a Grey Cup winning quarterback, and Hamilton’s most outstanding player candidate Zach Collaros (before he suffered a season-ending knee injury) are leading the charge. Now Jennings, another young passer (23) who seems to visualize plays, as if he’s at the controls of Madden 16, is making quick decisions, avoiding pressure, throwing to the right spots and settling into the full-time role.

ulay or Jennings — a Grey Cup-winning veteran or the virtual rookie?

It’s an important call but one not hard to make — a decision that seemed so unlikely just seven weeks ago.

mbeamish@vancouversun.com

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Honour Dewalt
Champion

My question is, what is Jennings' contract? Is he signed for next year?
And I sure hope this doesn't become Printers/Dickenson Pt. 2.
dupsdell1
Champion

Honour Dewalt wrote:My question is, what is Jennings' contract? Is he signed for next year?
He will if he wins in the playoffs
JohnHenry
Champion

Honour Dewalt wrote:My question is, what is Jennings' contract? Is he signed for next year?
The minimum term for a CFL player's first contract is 2 years. The Lions often sign rookie QB's to a 3-year deal, so Jennings will definitely be with the Lions at least through 2016. The only worrisome thing is that Jennings is so good combined with his youth, the NFL vultures might come sniffing around. :crow:
Blitz
Team Captain

Honour Dewalt wrote: And I sure hope this doesn't become Printers/Dickenson Pt. 2.
Well, if we followed past scripts under Wally as HC, we might see one of the following scenarios.

1. Wait until later this week and then surprise everyone and announce that Lulay will start the game. Following the loss, state that our starting quarterback position will be determined at next year's training camp. Wait until each game day of next season to announce to the quarterback, the team, the media, and the fans which quarterback will start and then blame Jennings for starting a quarterback controversy (2004-2005)

2. Publically state that this weeks practice will determine who will start the playoff game, then announce it will be Lulay as the starter, and then put Jennings into the game with 3 minutes left. (2005)

3. Start Jennings this weekend but pull him in the second quarter and insert Lulay. After the loss, jettison Lulay. (2007)

Here is hoping that Tedford doesn't ask Wally for any advice this week. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Well, if we followed past scripts under Wally as HC, we might see one of the following scenarios.

1. Wait until later this week and then surprise everyone and announce that Lulay will start the game. Following the loss, state that our starting quarterback position will be determined at next year's training camp. Wait until each game day of next season to announce to the quarterback, the team, the media, and the fans which quarterback will start and then blame Jennings for starting a quarterback controversy (2004-2005)

2. Publically state that this weeks practice will determine who will start the playoff game, then announce it will be Lulay as the starter, and then put Jennings into the game with 3 minutes left. (2005)

3. Start Jennings this weekend but pull him in the second quarter and insert Lulay. After the loss, jettison Lulay. (2007)

Here is hoping that Tedford doesn't ask Wally for any advice this week. :wink:
LOL Oh my ... Wally's loyalists won't like it, Blitz. But it is funny. And of course it wasn't funny for that other QB, ummm, Casey ... Printers. Yeah.

I recall when Casey was asked about his amazing 2004 season, he said his primary memory was playing in fear. Doesn't sound like much fun. I have so much sympathy for the athletes, the ones on the field, putting it all at risk. Casey's fear had him play about as good a year as any CFL QB ever had. And his fear seemed to deeply damage him.

Don't want to hear about Casey? Well, he is part of Lions' history. And he will always have his fans.

And, by the way, I was a fan of Dave Dickenson also. We have had some good ones, including the aforementioned Lulay and Jennings.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

But it is funny. And of course it wasn't funny for that other QB.
WCJ
Pleased that you saw the humor in it WCJ. :thup:

Don't think it was easy for a quarterback to have an MOP season and then not get a Grey Cup start, as it was in 2004 or even for a quarterback like Jarious, in 2007, who won 9 of 11 for us in his first season as a starter and then get pulled in the second quarter. It also wasn't easy for Dickenson to get pulled for series in the 2006 Grey Cup, after having such a successful year and WDF. There have been many 'interesting' decisions in the Wally era.

Jennings is hot but even more significant is that Lulay is rusty. I said the same thing in 2004, 2005, and 2007 and think the same way, no matter who the quarterback is. Its very difficult to win a playoff game with a rusty quarterback, no matter who he is or how good he has been.

We'll need to go with Jennings and Lulay should only play if there is an injury or Jennings has struggled long and hard.

As to your comments about our past starting quarterbacks I've appreciated them all. I admired their strengths and at times mentioned their tendencies but Dickenson, Printers, Pierce, Jackson, Lulay, and now Jennings have all provided a lot of positive memorable moments.