Cal @ BC - GDT and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

Parks gets burned again. Not hard to see why he's been replaced in the starting lineup.
dupsdell1
Champion

No Chance next week season is over
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Not sure it's a great idea laying another egg at home with a very unstable fan base.
dupsdell1
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:Game lives up to its billing as a dud. Now sitting out these key players better mean they at the very least give the Stamps a game next week.

LIONS ARE DONE WHAT A JOKE OF A SEASON
SammyGreene
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:Parks gets burned again. Not hard to see why he's been replaced in the starting lineup.
Yep. Like Lulay and Fera among others... Had a chance to make a statement tonight and didn't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vanilla all the way. Laid an egg. Mean nothing game. Prepped like it. Played like it.

No stats. No analysis.

Hope the playoff game is better.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Vanilla all the way. Laid an egg. Mean nothing game. Prepped like it. Played like it.

No stats. No analysis.
And when you have laid a bunch of eggs at home the past 2 seasons and have seen your attendance take a significant dip at the same time that's not a great idea.

They have put plenty of pressure on themselves to justify what they did today to at the very least compete with the Stamps from start to finish next week. It's one thing doing it when you are 13-4 and it's another when you are 7-10 in front of your own fans.
Alputt
Champion

What seemed like one of the best crowds of the season was treated to the most boring football game of the year. Felt like the impotent early season snoozers no offense at all. What a difference Jennings brings.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Alputt wrote:What seemed like one of the best crowds of the season was treated to the most boring football game of the year. Felt like the impotent early season snoozers no offense at all. What a difference Jennings brings.
I said to the guys around us that if it wasn't for the weather outside it felt like being at a game back in August. Pre-Jennings era.
CardiacKid
Legend

Well.........pretty much turned out like it was subliminally billed. Hardly worth leaving the island for; at least in terms of football entertainment. But while it won't stop me from coming back, I hope it didn't stick in the craw of the first time attendee or someone sitting on the fence.

But while the battle was lost, maybe the strategy will let us say the war was won? We will have to wait a week on that potential outcome.

My positives? The twin towers of Jeffers-Harris and Geraldo B. Andrew Harris winning the rushing title; it would be ironic if it is his last regular season game with the Leo's. Bo Lokombo put aa solid exclamation mark on a solid year..too bad he isn't eligible for rookie of the year. I am glad Ese M.A. got a sack...I hope the Felions continue to wear proper dancing shoes.

Despite how this game went down, the Leo's have a pretty decent shot methinks..I think the Stamps will be the sterner test in the West. Should they survive to play one more game in Alberta, I think the Esks are ripe for plucking.
maxlion
Legend

If the Lions win next week, perhaps the coaches will be vindicated for this poor display. But if they lose, and especially if they fail to put in a strong performance, there will be a lot of hard feelings. I would have liked to see a much better effort for the final home game of the year.

Suitor couldn't stop talking about how Lulay proved he was a viable option in the playoffs. I couldn't disagree more. He's got great leadership qualities and has given a lot to the franchise, but he's been done as a qb for a couple of years now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Vanilla all the way. Laid an egg. Mean nothing game. Prepped like it. Played like it.

No stats. No analysis.

Hope the playoff game is better.
There's not much to say about this game. The teams didn't want to show anything. Tate and Moniz made four nice deep throws, three of which could have been intercepted or knocked down. Cord Parks showed why he lost his starting job. On the day, the Stampeder backups were better than the Lion backups.

Lulay made a couple of nice deep throws but he had too many checkdowns and no effective QB rushes and couldn't generate a touchdown. His time has passed. Jennings is the future.

Jeffers-Harris and Boldewijn made nice plays and Andrew Harris got his 1,000 yards before leaving unscathed. Jason Arakgi played well but none of the other backups showed anything. Fera was no more reliable as a kicker than Leone.

It was nostalgic in the stands. All of the regular season ticketholders in our section showed up at the same game for the first time since early in the season. We exchanged goodbyes, knowing there won't be another home game until next year but everyone renewed to claim the early-bird jerseys so we expect to see each other again.

This game means nothing in the playoff picture. I hope the Lions didn't lose the momentum they had established in recent weeks with Jennings at QB. Perhaps their plan was to lull the Stampeders into being overconfident. It will be a much different game next week.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions will have their hands full if Hufnagel decides to use the tandem of Cornish and Messam in the same backfield.
David
Team Captain

With apologies to Dennis Green, the Lions today were who we thought they were. Almost exactly as anticipated. Vanilla schemes, lots of back-ups, and a predictably sloppy outcome. Not exactly the momentum with which a team wants to be going into the post season, and I really hope Tedford knows what he's doing. As B.C.FAN posted above, perhaps the strategy was to lull the Stamps into a false sense of security for next week. But this business of not tipping their hand seems rather odd, given their playoff opponent has....ummm....like,17 other games to view for tendencies?!?

I just don't think our Leos earned the right as a team in the standings (at 7-10), or as a sports team in this market place (a tenuous hold on 2nd place in the pecking order) to shove it to the fans this way. If they win, or even lose by a couple of points next week, everything will be forgiven. And forgotten. However, if they lose badly, regrettably, this game - and too many others this season - will have a lasting impression in the minds of many as just not worth the price of admission.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO, the Lions have decent starting personnel, capable of competing with the other playoff teams but other than at receiver and LB, they lack the quality depth that other the teams have .

The thing that most concerns me is that for the most part the Lions went with the starting Oline (I noticed Hunter Steward at RT for at least some of the game) but they had a lot of trouble giving Lulay enough time in the pocket. I hope Cortez is smart enough to have the QB roll out and move around next week.