Gettting Ready For the Playoffs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote: Get your starters out alive, don't show too much of the depressingly unimaginative, limited and uninspiring playbook that the league more or less knows already and get ready to go out swinging in two weeks.
That's not going to be a problem.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
cromartie wrote: Get your starters out alive, don't show too much of the depressingly unimaginative, limited and uninspiring playbook that the league more or less knows already and get ready to go out swinging in two weeks.
That's not going to be a problem.
Actually it might be best to show plenty of the depressingly unimaginative playbook and save the good stuff for the WSF.
maxlion
Legend

http://www.tsn.ca/hash-marks-lulay-to-s ... s-1.388648

Looks like we're treating this as a pre-season game. Protecting Jennings I can understand since he's our only hope at QB. Overall, I disagree with this approach. Our starters need as much practice as they can get from what I've seen this year. And I'd be doubly disappointed if I were a STH and had to pay to watch them go through the motions.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Tedford says Lulay to start on Saturday. I don't like that. Certainly Lulay should play at least a half. But I don't like the change in routine of preparing to start for young Jennings. Lulay has been one of the best first half QBs this season. Don't be surprised if he lights it up for 30 mins. Then what? A week of QB controversy heading into the WDSF? I say start Jennings and give him the first quarter. Then let Travis take over for a while. If he is effective let him play out the game, if not (and it is still close) put Jennings back in to try and win. This is a team that needs wins, even if it is a mean nothing game.
pennw
Legend

I agree , BC needs the win. They've had too few wins to have the mentality that this win is not needed or is mean nothing. Stamps can afford that approach . BC needs momentum going into the playoffs and to have a winning attitude , or risk getting into a mental losing state .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My opinion, as stated earlier in a different thread ...

Start Jennings. Play almost one half. Put Lulay in for a while. Depending on the situation, perhaps even put in McGhee for a series or two.

Play to win.

As noted, what if Lulay shoots lights out? Then you have a mini QB controversy. To my view, this is now Jennings' team. No fault of Travis.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
dupsdell1
Champion

Again Lions being 7-11 this year makes the playoff's ????

is any one going to watch ??? they need to win this games at least 8-10 sounds a lot better.

even if the lions did get to the grey cup at least 8-10 can say ok not bad.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Again Lions being 7-11 this year makes the playoff's ????

is any one going to watch ??? they need to win this games at least 8-10 sounds a lot better.

Why do you bother to comment on this site? You seem to have no love for the Lions. This is your second post suggesting the Lions do not deserve to be in the playoffs.

Perhaps the Whitecaps and the Canucks appreciate your support. One sees little or nothing of support for the Lions in your comments. In fact, to fans of the Lions, your comments can be offensive. But you are welcome to keep on posting.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

JohnHenry
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:My opinion, as stated earlier in a different thread ...

Start Jennings. Play almost one half. Put Lulay in for a while. Depending on the situation, perhaps even put in McGhee for a series or two.

Play to win.

As noted, what if Lulay shoots lights out? Then you have a mini QB controversy. To my view, this is now Jennings' team. No fault of Travis.
I agree WCJ. Jennings has started the past several games and played extremely well. Why would they want to break that rhythm and start somebody else? Despite that, I have a feeling Jennings will overcome the disappointment of not starting for his team and perhaps use that as motivation for the WSF. Hopefully this isn't a replay of 2004?
On the other hand, the Lions coaches have a great reputation for developing young QB's. So, so far, so good, I'm sure they know what their doing. :popcorn:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:My opinion, as stated earlier in a different thread ...

Play to win.

I agree WCJ. Jennings has started the past several games and played extremely well. Why would they want to break that rhythm and start somebody else? Despite that, I have a feeling Jennings will overcome the disappointment of not starting for his team and perhaps use that as motivation for the WSF. Hopefully this isn't a replay of 2004?
On the other hand, the Lions coaches have a great reputation for developing young QB's. So, so far, so good, I'm sure they know what their doing. :popcorn:
Let us hope so, JH.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Again Lions being 7-11 this year makes the playoff's ????

Your seahawks are 4-4 so are you watching them ?
QB Club 63
All Star

Of course you have to start Travis - the guy already had his playoff beard started before training camp! :beauty: :rockin:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

This decision to start Lulay sounds exactly like a decision WB would make. Maybe this is not Tedford's call?

If Manny even plays I will watching to see if he makes the extra effort to catch balls thrown by Lulay, the way he has for Jennings.
Blitz
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:This decision to start Lulay sounds exactly like a decision WB would make. Maybe this is not Tedford's call?

If Manny even plays I will watching to see if he makes the extra effort to catch balls thrown by Lulay, the way he has for Jennings.
Initially Tedford said he was going to start Jennings but play all three quarterbacks. Its possible Tedford changed his mind because Hufnagel is not going to start Bo Levi Mitchell and instead start Tate.

But like you Belize City Lion, I have to admit I have a deja vu feeling that its 2004 Grey Cup, 2005 WDF, and 2007 WDF. In all three of those seasons, we had an injured Dickenson just coming back off injury. In 2004 Printers got the WDF start but Dickenson started and went the whole way in the Grey Cup game. In 2005 Printers started the last 6 regular season games but Dickenson got reps in the last regular season game and then started the WDF. In 2007, Jarious started the last 11 regular season games for us (we won 9) and the WDF but Dickenson, injured for most of the 2007 season, got some reps in just before the WDF and while Jarious started the WDF, he was pulled in the 2nd quarter.

In all three cases, when we started the rusty Dickenson or inserted him, we lost.

Jennings stats are so much better than Lulay's this season....he has thrown for more passing yards while playing less than half the games of Lulay. |Jennings has also thrown more touchdowns and has a better passing percentage and quarterback efficiency.

But it would not shock me to see Lulay start the Semi-Final playoff or to see Jennings pulled early. Wally likes that 'good old experience' even when its unwise to go in that direction. The question is would Tedford do the same.

All I know is that Jennings sat on the bench, while we played a 34 year old NFL journeyman this season and that journeyman missed all of training camp while Jennings impressed and yet was dropped to our third string quarterback. Who knows if we would ever have seen Jennings play this season if Beck had not gotten injured. Benevedes used Beck last year when Glenn got injured rather than go with the younger guy at the time. Made no sense to me in each case.

It also would not surprise me to see Lulay inserted in the Semi-Final playoff to run certain plays, lke we did in the Grey Cup with Pierce coming in for Dickenson in 2006.

In Wally'\s World, one never knows what will happen. My hope is that Tedford is in charge, thinks differently, and Jennings goes the whole way, win or lose in the Semi-Final. His play deserves that. But I am prepared for anything as long as Wally is our GM.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Or Lulay may be given the start as a tribute to him? Chances are very good this is the last time he wears a Lions jersey at BC Place.