BC Lions 2015 Player Awards

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

The following would be my votes for the BC Lions portion of the 2015 CFL Awards. What are yours?

Player: Adam Bighill - a one-man wrecking crew. Always around the ball or ball carrier. 117 tackles, team leader and the heart-and-soul of the defense.
Runner-Up: Jon Jennings - over 2,000 passing yards in less than half a season of work. Poised beyond his years. Almost single-handedly revived a moribund offense.
Honourable Mention: Manny Arceneaux. Unbelievably, a few fans on this board and a couple of media types suggested we cut ties with him earlier this year to send a message about perceived indifference. Obviously, that would have been one of the big blunders in team history. Despite a slow start, Arceneaux 4th in CFL receiving yards (1,151), and often puts the team (and opposing defenders for that matter) on his back.

Defensive: Adam Bighill - see above
Runner Up: Mic'hael Brooks - Started with an insane amount of tackles, and has now added relentless pressure to his repertoire. With Minter, has become a load in the middle giving opposition O-lines fits.

Canadian: Andrew Harris - has been rather hit and miss this year. It seems he either rushes for 100 yards or like, 4. Not necessarily all his doing mind you, often facing run blitzes. The holes often just haven't been there. Still, he leads the CFL in rushing yards, 50 ahead of Messam.
Runner Up: David Menard. An obscure choice, but well-earned. Watch his pass rushing skills. Great hands and relentless motor. 6 sacks for the 2nd year Quebecer. This is a guy Wally should be trying to extend.

Offensive Lineman: Tommie Draheim - simple. When he's in the line-up, we win. When he's not, we don't. Leaner frame for a left tackle, but great feet and athleticism. Not hard to understand why he played in the NFL.
Runner-Up: Jovon Olafioye. Off year for Jovan to be sure. But he's still an effective right tackle. While he's been beaten this year, not one's blowing past him.

Special Teams: Chris Rainey - most exciting player on the team. A threat to score every time he touches the ball. 1,354 return yards in less than half a season with the club.
Runner-Up: Bo Lokombo - having a breakout year and becoming more prominent at linebacker, but it's on special teams where he's really leaving his mark with 23 ST tackles. Tied for league lead.
Honourable Mention: Richie Leone. Understandably fans less than enamored with his erratic field goal kicking, but his punting has been sublime, often pinning teams deep and getting us out of field position holes with towering punts. League leading 49.5 yard average.

Rookie:
Jon Jennings - see above
Runner- Up: Tommie Draheim - see above

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Player: Manny Arceneaux. He came to life when he got a QB who could deliver the ball.
Defensive: Adam Bighill. This is a no-brainer.
Canadian: Andrew Harris. Hopefully he'll get his 1,000 yards and rushing title, despite an unimaginative running scheme.
Offensive lineman: Tommie Draheim.
Special teams: Richie Leone. His recent struggles as a placekicker haven't helped his cause but his punting and kickoffs give the Lions an extra five or 10 yards on each exchange of possession.
Rookie: Mic'hael Brooks. He's been outstanding all year.
Rodu
Champion

One plus about Draheim, whenever Harris gets wrapped up by a defender or two, it's always Draheim who comes in and moves the pile for extra yardage while everyone else watches.As much as I liked Hunter Steward last year, can't see him beating out Draheim anytime soon
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MVP: Adam Bighill
Defensive: Adam Bighill
Canadian: Andrew Harris
Offensive Lineman: Tommy Draheim
Special Teams: Chris Rainey
Rookie: Michael Brooks
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:Player: Manny Arceneaux. He came to life when he got a QB who could deliver the ball.
Defensive: Adam Bighill. This is a no-brainer.
Canadian: Andrew Harris. Hopefully he'll get his 1,000 yards and rushing title, despite an unimaginative running scheme.
Offensive lineman: Tommie Draheim.
Special teams: Richie Leone. His recent struggles as a placekicker haven't helped his cause but his punting and kickoffs give the Lions an extra five or 10 yards on each exchange of possession.
Rookie: Mic'hael Brooks. He's been outstanding all year.
This is my choice as well.
David
Team Captain

Is Mic'hael Brooks eligible for Rookie though? According to this article on the league's website, he's not:

http://cfl.ca/article/candidates-for-mo ... e-revealed

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Is Mic'hael Brooks eligible for Rookie though? According to this article on the league's website, he's not:

You're right. Brooks dressed for at least one game for the Seahawks in 2013 and earned a Super Bowl ring, according to his profile at bclions.com. I'll have to change my rookie vote to Jonathon Jennings.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What no love for Ese Mrbure Ajufo ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:Is Mic'hael Brooks eligible for Rookie though? According to this article on the league's website, he's not:

You're right. Brooks dressed for at least one game for the Seahawks in 2013 and earned a Super Bowl ring, according to his profile at bclions.com. I'll have to change my rookie vote to Jonathon Jennings.
I'm with you on JJ for Rookie of the Year and I think, given the impact that he has had on the Lions' resurgence and playoff birth, Jennings has a shot at winning the award. :beauty: He certainly has been the best among the first time QB starters this season in the CFL
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

We've been hearing all year that we're the league's youngest team, so while I don't think this necessarily translates into having the MOST rookies, I still find it rather surprising that we've in fact fielded the FEWEST — at least for purposes of ROY eligibility (perhaps the stat measuring man-games played by rookies would be more informative; we might indeed rank rather high on this metric).

We have 9, with Ott next at 10, followed by Ham & Tor with 11 each. Cgy, Edm & Wpg are next at 12 each, followed by Ssk at 16 while Mtl brings up the rear at a whopping 21. Perhaps it's not too surprising that the bottom two teams here are worst in their respective divisions, but at the same time every last one of our playoff peers has fielded more rookies, and has more wins — several more wins in most cases — to show for it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

We've been hearing all year that we're the league's youngest team, so while I don't think this necessarily translates into having the MOST rookies, I still find it rather surprising that we've in fact fielded the FEWEST — at least for purposes of ROY eligibility (perhaps the stat measuring man-games played by rookies would be more informative; we might indeed rank rather high on this metric).

We have 9, with Ott next at 10, followed by Ham & Tor with 11 each. Cgy, Edm & Wpg are next at 12 each, followed by Ssk at 16 while Mtl brings up the rear at a whopping 21. Perhaps it's not too surprising that the bottom two teams here are worst in their respective divisions, but at the same time every last one of our playoff peers has fielded more rookies, and has more wins — several more wins in most cases — to show for it.

I counted 11 Lions on last game's 46 man roster that are first year in the CFL and 14 are 2 year guys. That doesn't include first and second year guys on PR or IR. Some of these guys are young some are not but all need to adapt to the CFL game and each other. Over half the roster is relatively inexperienced but a good group that if they can get improved coaching and play calling they have great potential.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:We've been hearing all year that we're the league's youngest team, so while I don't think this necessarily translates into having the MOST rookies, I still find it rather surprising that we've in fact fielded the FEWEST — at least for purposes of ROY eligibility (perhaps the stat measuring man-games played by rookies would be more informative; we might indeed rank rather high on this metric).
True, and only three of the nine eligible Lion rookies, Draheim, Jennings and Roh, have been regular starters on offence or defence. Yet the Lions have 15 players on their current 46-man roster who are in their first year with the team, and another 15 who are in their second year. The team is the youngest in average age and is probably one of the newest in terms of experience with the organization.
David
Team Captain

I had all of the winners as my selections except one. I had Tommie Draheim as lineman and Jovan Olafioye as the runner-up.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers

#BCLions nominees: Adam Bighill (MOP, defence), Andrew Harris (Cdn.), Jon Jennings (rookie), Jovan Olafioye (lineman), Chris Rainey (ST).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bighill is having a great year, as did Elimimian last year, but having a defensive player as the Lions' MOP is an indictment of the offence.
Big Time
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Bighill is having a great year, as did Elimimian last year, but having a defensive player as the Lions' MOP is an indictment of the offence.
Maybe sometimes but not always. Can't remember who the Lions MOP candidates were when Cam Wake was here but would him being nominated MOP be an indictment of the offense? I don't think so. To me, nominating a defensive player for MOP shows how the thinking has evolved with regards to this award. Cam Wake was the most dominant defensive player I have ever seen in the CFL yet the two years he won the defensive player award, Kerry Joseph and Anthony Calvillo won the MOP awards. Cam Wake is now a pro-bowler in the NFL while neither of those two guys ever made a dent in the NFL. Until last year, the MOP was almost exclusively an offensive player award. I like the fact that teams are thinking more broadly now.