Lions @ Argos -- Game Blog -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

Sorry 7-11
Ballistic Bob
Legend

dupsdell1 wrote:Sorry guys can not get into a team that is going to be 11 7. And get into the playoffs.
The 8 and 10 Lions of 2000. GC winner. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

dupsdell1 wrote:Sorry guys can not get into a team that is going to be 11 7. And get into the playoffs.
No need to be sorry. No one is forcing you to follow the Lions or post here. I am sure there are others sports teams and other leagues that you can follow.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:A lot of diverse but informed opinions have been expressed on this site about Wally and the coaching staff. I've seen very few posts that cite religion.
In fairness, there has been a number of posts citing Buono is a religious person and that he tends to hire people with similar religious leanings. No definitive proof one way or the either. All speculation.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Do the Lions start Lulay Saturday to insure a healthy Jennings for the playoffs. I'm thinking Calgary starts Tate. BB
Interesting, BB. I expect we start JJ. He needs pretty much all the experience he can get, IMO. Maybe two quarters plus. Then get Lulay in there.
I'd rather see Fera getting a chance starting as the Placekicker/Punter. BC has to run the gauntlet of weather conditions through CGY, EDM, and WPG if they want to be sub-500 GC Champions like they were back in the day.

Although there is something to be said for Leone's big boot giving us a field position advantage on punts, they can't afford to keep throwing away points on missed converts/FG's (not to mention the risk of kick returners busting out on those missed FG's.)
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:A lot of diverse but informed opinions have been expressed on this site about Wally and the coaching staff. I've seen very few posts that cite religion.
In fairness, there has been a number of posts citing Buono is a religious person and that he tends to hire people with similar religious leanings. No definitive proof one way or the either. All speculation.
I agree ,there has been far more made of Bouno's religion and claims he hire's along those lines . Ther have been som very nasty posts about this by a few . Those have been called out and have since toned it down .it seemed to go past many posters unfortunately as it was wrong . There has been no evidence of any allegations ever presented , and the hirings and firings never followed any alleged pattern . For instance , what exact church does Chuck Mcmann belong too ? Never presented . What about Jeff Tedford ? George Cortez ? Johnny Holland ? Why was Baron Miles NOT retained ? If you did not notice BCFan , you were not paying attention .
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm thrilled we made the playoffs. It was a tough season to be a Leos fan for most of the way but the last few weeks have been both exciting and hopeful....sometimes too exciting and stomach turning but the direction overall has been very positive.

While the odds will be that we will lose in the Semi-Final I believe that we have the ability to beat anyone, as long as we don't beat ourselves.

It will be interesting to see how much we play Lulay against Calgary this weekend. In some ways this season reminds me of some seasons past, when we had a quarterback who was rolling and then we inserted a rusty quarterback for the playoff game or Grey Cup game. In 2004, that was Dickenson, rather than Printers starting the Grey Cup game, in 2005 it was a Dickenson starting the WD Final, and in 2007, it was a rusty Dickenson being inserted into the second quarter of the WD Final for Jarious Jackson, who had won the last 9 of 11 games for us.

We lost all three of those playoff games, when we inserted a rusty experienced quarterback.

So I would not be shocked to see Lulay start the playoff game for us or to see him pulled early. The only reason that I could see that not happening is that Tedford is the HC and not Buono.

Our defense has stepped up lately. They were the worst defense in the CFL for most of the season but the recent improved play will likely mean Washignton is back. Same for the offence.....with Tedford more involved and Jennings at quarterback our offence is much improved and much more dangerous in the passing attack.

However, one can't say our special teams have improved - not sure whether that will affect McMann's fate or not - it hasn't in the past but this season has been particularly bad.

We need to get our running game untracked, our field goal kicking solved before the playoff (will we see Fera this weekend?} , and our special teams blocking assignments finally figured out at this late date of the season.

But its exciting that we will be playing playoff football in November. :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dusty
Champion

I think that McCann will be gone at the end of this season. He was basically a "continuity" coach this year as I suspect that Telford was amenable to the suggestion of having some same coaches.

I think that it is remarkable that the team has had some success after making some scheme changes, but realistically, we have been lucky to have Jennings move up the depth chart and Rainey "fall" into the team. That energized the team, and the fans as well..... and made the last few games in the dome much more exiting.... for me as a fan, win or lose, exciting is muchos better than not.

While I think that the Leo's will be hard pressed to get to the final. the fact remains that they 'could'...... and the fact that I am using the "c" word says a lot about their improved play....
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:We need to get our running game untracked, our field goal kicking solved before the playoff (will we see Fera this weekend?} , and our special teams blocking assignments finally figured out at this late date of the season.
I am trying to imagine the fallout if they decide that it's more important to rest Harris for the final game. Have him fresh for the playoffs, and insert Shaq and Rainey at RB. Problem is, Harris has 997 yards rushing and I am sure he has a 1,000 yard bonus in his contract. Not to mention Andrew's competitiveness. I don't think that announcement would go over too well with him, but it would not surprise me either.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Blitz wrote:We need to get our running game untracked, our field goal kicking solved before the playoff (will we see Fera this weekend?} , and our special teams blocking assignments finally figured out at this late date of the season.
I am trying to imagine the fallout if they decide that it's more important to rest Harris for the final game. Have him fresh for the playoffs, and insert Shaq and Rainey at RB. Problem is, Harris has 997 yards rushing and I am sure he has a 1,000 yard bonus in his contract. Not to mention Andrew's competitiveness. I don't think that announcement would go over too well with him, but it would not surprise me either.

Me neither but you can sure bet Harris wants to play. He is 50 yards ahead of Messam for the rushing title and Harris has never achieved it and wants it.

I realize that injuries can happen. It makes sense to me to keep Jennings sharp, to give Lulay some reps, and to also not overuse Harris.

But quite often, a team that rests its regulars in the last game of the season, stuggles in its first playoff game. I would rather us go with our starters and then rest them some in the second half.

Not sure if you would agree or not?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I would rather us go with our starters and then rest them some in the second half.

That's the approach I would take. Give Jennings the first half at QB and Lulay the second half but leave open the option of bringing back Jennings late in the fourth quarter if it's a close game. He needs more experience in pressure situations. Also, give Harris the first half to try to establish a running game and get his 1,000 yards and then turn it over to Rainey and Murray-Lawrence. On defence, Bighill and Hoffman-Ellis can be rested early. The Lions have lots of linebackers who could use more playing time. Options are more limited at other positions but I'd like to see Iannuzzi and Adekolu get some regular reps at receiver, Rwabukamba and Parker at DB and Thorn and Steward on the OL.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Treat this up coming game the same as a final pre-season game. So most of the starters play the first half only. I expect Calgary to do the same.

Seeing as how these two teams meet the following week in the WSF, things might be kinda vanilla.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blitz wrote:I would rather us go with our starters and then rest them some in the second half.

That's the approach I would take. Give Jennings the first half at QB and Lulay the second half but leave open the option of bringing back Jennings late in the fourth quarter if it's a close game. He needs more experience in pressure situations. Also, give Harris the first half to try to establish a running game and get his 1,000 yards and then turn it over to Rainey and Murray-Lawrence. On defence, Bighill and Hoffman-Ellis can be rested early. The Lions have lots of linebackers who could use more playing time. Options are more limited at other positions but I'd like to see Iannuzzi and Adekolu get some regular reps at receiver, Rwabukamba and Parker at DB and Thorn and Steward on the OL.
I would be a little nervous about inserting Thorn and Steward...depending on how aggressive the Stamps D is playing. If the Stamps are wanting to take Jennings head off in an attempt to send a message for the semi-final, I would leave the O-Line as is to offer better protection. I would hope Rainey gets more significant reps on offense and Mini-Shaq on the teams. But yes, don't be afraid to rest the stars....I still remember how Calgary lost both starting interior d-linemen 2 years ago in the final game of the season and it really hurt them for the Western Final.
David
Team Captain

We're losing nothing by inserting Hunter Steward though. One could argue he'd be an upgrade at guard. He was our best O-lineman at one point until he got hurt.

I would not be surprised to see Lavelle Hawkins rested for this game as he appeared to bang up his shoulder against Toronto, but bravely stayed in and had the key late 4th quarter catch. According to an article I read, the Lions have been salivating over WR Geraldo Boldewijn and want to have him back next year. I am positive they'll want to give him live reps Friday.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Go with the first stringers most of the game and substitute here and there. History has shown that by resting all your first stringers usually result in defeat the following game. Keep to the daily routine.