Lions @ Argos -- Game Blog -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:Just finished watching the post game locker room reaction. Team looks jacked. Players seemed to bond with Tedford at the end.
Did I hear George Cortez got the game ball ?

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/118979
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
almo89 wrote:Just finished watching the post game locker room reaction. Team looks jacked. Players seemed to bond with Tedford at the end.
Did I hear George Cortez got the game ball ?

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/118979
Yes, and I believe Chuck McMann got one recently too.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I bet McMann immediately fumbled it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

he didn't fumble it, it was blocked before it got to him.
peeby
Starter

I was going to say the special teams ball was presented to Chuck McMann, but not so much presented as inserted in. But won't say it or anything further as I've already been censured for using a word readily found in the Bible. Heck, a word Wally Buono would have come across many times in Bible study.

Hey, wait a minute. A word right out of the Bible is considered rude, whereas questioning a pious man like Wally Buono is basically being encouraged? Along with the ridiculing of his religion in several of the other threads? Do I smell some kind of anti-religious thing going on? A bias, if you will? Just what kind of forum are they running here? Is this forum's subject, the Lions, some kind of cover story for, dare I say it, religion bashing?

Oh, I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here. Lesson learned. It's okay to hide behind the cloak of anonymity and advocate the removal of a man's livelihood, with the attendant downfall of his family's fortunes, but woe betide the poster who conjures up the image of the sturdy beast of Biblical times.

Guess that's what this world's come to. Maybe they''ll accept me at the CBC news website. A come-down of immense proportion, but of my own doing.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

peeby wrote:I was going to say the special teams ball was presented to Chuck McMann, but not so much presented as inserted in. But won't say it or anything further as I've already been censured for using a word readily found in the Bible. Heck, a word Wally Buono would have come across many times in Bible study.

Hey, wait a minute. A word right out of the Bible is considered rude, whereas questioning a pious man like Wally Buono is basically being encouraged? Along with the ridiculing of his religion in several of the other threads? Do I smell some kind of anti-religious thing going on? A bias, if you will? Just what kind of forum are they running here? Is this forum's subject, the Lions, some kind of cover story for, dare I say it, religion bashing?

Oh, I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here. Lesson learned. It's okay to hide behind the cloak of anonymity and advocate the removal of a man's livelihood, with the attendant downfall of his family's fortunes, but woe betide the poster who conjures up the image of the sturdy beast of Biblical times.

Guess that's what this world's come to. Maybe they''ll accept me at the CBC news website. A come-down of immense proportion, but of my own doing.

I think you are twisting things a bit here. Stating that someone is religious and pointing out that it helps with your employment security if you are also religious is NOT criticizing someone's religion.

Name calling is not the same as being critical of someone's abilities and the latter is fair game on a fan forum.
peeby
Starter

And I think you need to check around to see where your sense of humour went. You're kinda making it up here. Posters went after Wally in any way they could, and that included picking on the fact that he is a religious man. You think that's okay, obviously. Likewise, it's fair game to have these guys fired at the drop of a hat. That's only being critical of their abilities. You really are kidding yourself.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

peeby wrote:And I think you need to check around to see where your sense of humour went. You're kinda making it up here. Posters went after Wally in any way they could, and that included picking on the fact that he is a religious man. You think that's okay, obviously. Likewise, it's fair game to have these guys fired at the drop of a hat. That's only being critical of their abilities. You really are kidding yourself.
What league are you watching? Coaches get fired at the drop of a hat all the time even after they win a game against the Lions. Just ask Higgens.

In fairness I guess firings of Chamblin and his GM (sorry his name escapes me at the moment) weren't exactly drop of the hat but they were mid season.

If you think that criticizing someone for favouring other religious men in his hiring is the same thing as criticizing a man for being religious, when I think they are totally separate things, then we will have to agree to disagree.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A lot of diverse but informed opinions have been expressed on this site about Wally and the coaching staff. I've seen very few posts that cite religion.

I still maintain that Wally is the best thing that has ever happened to this franchise and is still doing a good job as GM. The recent play of the team demonstrates the talent he has assembled while rebuilding on the fly. Some posters maintain that Wally has outlived his usefulness and has remained too loyal to some coaches or has forced Tedford to accept them on his staff. That's fair opinion. I don't share that view, but I'd be happy to see Chuck McMann relieved of his duties at the end of the year. It has nothing to do with religion. I don't even know if McMann or Tedford are religious men. We're here to debate football, not religion.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:A lot of diverse but informed opinions have been expressed on this site about Wally and the coaching staff. I've seen very few posts that cite religion.

I still maintain that Wally is the best thing that has ever happened to this franchise and is still doing a good job as GM. The recent play of the team demonstrates the talent he has assembled while rebuilding on the fly. Some posters maintain that Wally has outlived his usefulness and has remained too loyal to some coaches or has forced Tedford to accept them on his staff. That's fair opinion. I don't share that view, but I'd be happy to see Chuck McMann relieved of his duties at the end of the year. It has nothing to do with religion. I don't even know if McMann or Tedford are religious men. We're here to debate football, not religion.
Well said, BCF.

Wally is a survivor, in a good sense. He adapts, sometimes late, in the view of some fans, but when he sees the writing on the wall, he does adapt. Reluctantly? Sure. He has had coordinators who did not quite fit his preferred systems. Dave Ritchie on defence. Jacques Chapdelaine, when he opened up the offence.

Has he been too loyal to some assistants? In my opinion, Yes. But he has acted there also. He fired Mike Benevides. He fired Dan Dorazio. He fired Jacques Chapdelaine. A mistake firing Rich Stubler? No loyalty there. A huge mistake in my view.

And, as you note, our talent looks pretty good at this time. That is to his credit. Is he above or beyond criticism? Certainly not. And this site is loaded with criticisms of many of his decisions, actions and philosophy of football.

Is Wally the best thing that ever happened to this franchise? Well, in my opinion, Bobby Ackles the first time around, and the second time around are the two best things that ever happened to this franchise. And maybe David Braley is number 3. But Wally has been good. He has been steady, and he has been excellent in the community in many respects.

Has Wally outlived his usefulness? He is still very steady. Excellent as GM? Debateable. Many examples. Or has he been bypassed by more modern football ideas? Maybe. Unless he adapts, as he might be doing. Bringing in Tedford might show that adaptation.

It certainly seems to this fan that the franchise has been sliding down the slope. But at this time, we do have some hope once again.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Is Wally the best thing that ever happened to this franchise? Well, in my opinion, Bobby Ackles the first time around, and the second time around are the two best things that ever happened to this franchise. And maybe David Braley is number 3. But Wally has been good. He has been steady, and he has been excellent in the community in many respects.
Agree, WCJ. WB is not the best thing to ever happen to the Lions but he is right up there. That said I think we are seeing him hit the point of diminishing returns this season with how he has handled the running of the team on the field. I'd like to see him step back a bit and take on more of a role that Bobby Ackles once played while letting Tedford become the new Wally Bouno on the field. Otherwise the only alternative in the next year or two might be to burn the ship and start over. I really don't like that idea.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Agree, WCJ. WB is not the best thing to ever happen to the Lions but he is right up there. That said I think we are seeing him hit the point of diminishing returns this season with how he has handled the running of the team on the field. I'd like to see him step back a bit and take on more of a role that Bobby Ackles once played while letting Tedford become the new Wally Bouno on the field. Otherwise the only alternative in the next year or two might be to burn the ship and start over. I really don't like that idea.
:thup:

And now we are in the playoffs, BCL. We have had a nice long run of making the playoffs. Maybe we can have some success there this year. JJ has no fear.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Do the Lions start Lulay Saturday to insure a healthy Jennings for the playoffs. I'm thinking Calgary starts Tate. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Do the Lions start Lulay Saturday to insure a healthy Jennings for the playoffs. I'm thinking Calgary starts Tate. BB
Interesting, BB. I expect we start JJ. He needs pretty much all the experience he can get, IMO. Maybe two quarters plus. Then get Lulay in there.

dupsdell1
Champion

Sorry guys can not get into a team that is going to be 11 7. And get into the playoffs.