New BC Lions Jersey for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The tramp stamp looks out of place as do the name plates where they overlap onto the shoulders.

While the jersey overall looks good to me, the above stuff looks very unprofessional and poorly designed.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
the season ticket package included the new helmet car decal.

Hated the nameplate when the jerseys came out. Just make your name font smaller or thinner. Now i've come to the conclusion that they didn't screw up and it is done on purpose to make every players cut jersey look the same. Other teams have alot smaller name plates. if you see shaq's jeresey you will see why they had to do this.

if you take the replica and pinch the shoulder just above the number and pull it up to the collar and press it down, thats essentially the players cut. I think everyone knows replica is designed to fit a fan and players cut is designed to keep in shoulder pads. The players cut is basically doing what the trainers were customizing the jerseys anyways by folding up the shoulders and re-sewing the shoulder. Players cut wouldn't be that comfortable for a fan ... you basically feel like your wearing a baggy tank top.
Thank you for the reply Qman! Some follow-up comments:

1. So they do have new logo decals...they should put some out for sale at the merch tables. I'd have one on my vehicle right now if that were the case.

2. if they did the overlapping nameplate thing on purpose I'll just disagree that that was a good idea. I'd just have to file that under the "crappy design" category.

3. I get the fit thing but the shoulder design is completely different. My Seahawks jersey is an exact replica of the players jersey and it fits like a charm. I'm still going to hold off buying one until it's a true and correct relpica (but no ad patches, thanks!)

Cheers, appreciate the input.
CardiacKid
Legend

My wife HATES the overlapping nameplate...like with a passion! She thinks it looks sloppy as well. She also can't stand the lack of outline to the numbers as it makes it look like one of those stenciled jerseys that were sold years ago. I am warming up to them slightly but her intense dislike was only confirmed by seeing them on the players and in the merch kiosks.

The names that appear on the fan cut jerseys do not appear to have an overlapping nameplate but if you were to get a true customized job, maybe that would happen?
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:1. So they do have new logo decals...they should put some out for sale at the merch tables. I'd have one on my vehicle right now if that were the case.
PM me your address and I'll stick one in the mail.

I am not putting on my car 'til people recognize it and know what the hell it is. I like the black lids, just not the polar bear or chess piece thing-y. Only 3 possibilities for me: paw logo ('62 - '66), snarling lion in profile logo ('67 - '77), or the most recent "BC" with lion head that they've worn since '78. But that's just me....

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:The tramp stamp looks out of place as do the name plates where they overlap onto the shoulders.

While the jersey overall looks good to me, the above stuff looks very unprofessional and poorly designed.
Realistically the only way to get rid of the overlap is to get rid of the black shoulders, have everybody change their name to Smith or go old school and drop the name bars entirely. One really has to look at the design of the uniforms with the pieces of material (main body, shoulder pieces etc) and where they are joined to see the name bar will overlap the join between different materials. It happens to be noticeable on the BC and Calgary jerseys because the shoulder colours are not the same as the body colours. If one looks at the design of the old Reebok jerseys and the new Adidas ones you can see how they are physically designed differently. The Reebok ones were more like a 3 piece design of body, shoulder and sleeve. The name bar was sewn to the piece of material that draped across the shoulders from shoulder cap to shoulder cap. The body material joined the shoulder material below the name bar on the back and 3 or 4 inches below the neckline on the front. The sleeves attached to the end of the shoulder material and to the body around the armpit. The Adidas version is closer to a 2 piece design of body and combo shoulder/sleeve. The orange body material goes right up to the neckline front and back with the black shoulder/sleeve material going from the side of the neckline down.

On a related note last week Sekeres was interviewing Jeremiah Johnson and asking him about the jerseys since he played for the Oregon Ducks who seemed to be at the leading edge of stylin' uniforms. Johnson wanted to plead the 5th mostly because BC's jerseys carry the same colours as the Ducks' archrival Oregon State Beavers. I guess he's been getting the gears a bit about that. One comment he did make though was that the players really like the way they fit especially in the shoulder area.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
maxlion
Legend

Qman wrote:its the same colour orange. Its just and optical illusion if you place the same colour with black and same colour with white, it looks different.
You may be right, but it sure look different to me. It looks to me like the coaches are wearing last year's outfits. Anyways, it's all good. The new jerseys are fine. Just the branding seems a little bush league.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:
Qman wrote:its the same colour orange. Its just and optical illusion if you place the same colour with black and same colour with white, it looks different.
You may be right, but it sure look different to me. It looks to me like the coaches are wearing last year's outfits. Anyways, it's all good. The new jerseys are fine. Just the branding seems a little bush league.

The orange on Wally's shirt there looks very much the same as orange on the road jersey.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:The tramp stamp looks out of place as do the name plates where they overlap onto the shoulders.

Realistically the only way to get rid of the overlap is to get rid of the black shoulders, have everybody change their name to Smith or go old school and drop the name bars entirely. One really has to look at the design of the uniforms with the pieces of material (main body, shoulder pieces etc) and where they are joined to see the name bar will overlap the join between different materials. It happens to be noticeable on the BC and Calgary jerseys because the shoulder colours are not the same as the body colours. If one looks at the design of the old Reebok jerseys and the new Adidas ones you can see how they are physically designed differently. The Reebok ones were more like a 3 piece design of body, shoulder and sleeve. The name bar was sewn to the piece of material that draped across the shoulders from shoulder cap to shoulder cap. The body material joined the shoulder material below the name bar on the back and 3 or 4 inches below the neckline on the front. The sleeves attached to the end of the shoulder material and to the body around the armpit. The Adidas version is closer to a 2 piece design of body and combo shoulder/sleeve. The orange body material goes right up to the neckline front and back with the black shoulder/sleeve material going from the side of the neckline down.

On a related note last week Sekeres was interviewing Jeremiah Johnson and asking him about the jerseys since he played for the Oregon Ducks who seemed to be at the leading edge of stylin' uniforms. Johnson wanted to plead the 5th mostly because BC's jerseys carry the same colours as the Ducks' archrival Oregon State Beavers. I guess he's been getting the gears a bit about that. One comment he did make though was that the players really like the way they fit especially in the shoulder area.
when they came out i thought they should go to smaller/thinner font, then the namebar wouldn't need to be that long even for shaq and wouldn't go over the black. Other alternative is do what the als do, is make the full shoulders and top of the back all black, font in orange.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I agree about the coaches shirts. Doesn't seem like they are following the new branding. The new unis are clearly a deeper orange.
The other thing that bothers me about the logo on the back, and why I think it looks so out of place, is that it has a white outline. Nothing else on the home uniform has any white, so it really doesn't match. It doesn't even need a white outline, black would work fine. It's just not enough attention to details. Otherwise I really am happy with them.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I keep trying to like these, but naah. 80's and 90's rule
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:I agree about the coaches shirts. Doesn't seem like they are following the new branding. The new unis are clearly a deeper orange.
The other thing that bothers me about the logo on the back, and why I think it looks so out of place, is that it has a white outline. Nothing else on the home uniform has any white, so it really doesn't match. It doesn't even need a white outline, black would work fine. It's just not enough attention to details. Otherwise I really am happy with them.
I emailed Dennis Skulsky couple of weeks ago about the different tones of orange on the Lions merchandise. Never got a response.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:My wife HATES the overlapping nameplate...like with a passion! She thinks it looks sloppy as well.
I think your wife is one smart lady :thup: :beauty:
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:My wife HATES the overlapping nameplate...like with a passion! She thinks it looks sloppy as well.
I think your wife is one smart lady :thup: :beauty:
She is totally dead-set against getting either of the new jerseys. She is hoping the 3rd jersey that is supposedly being released later this year (that we learned about at the game) is definitely like the gun metals or is a "less is more" style. She is fine with spending $ on the swag but it has to appeal to her.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:1. So they do have new logo decals...they should put some out for sale at the merch tables. I'd have one on my vehicle right now if that were the case.
PM me your address and I'll stick one in the mail.
Awesome David, thank you!
MikeAK
All Star

I have to wonder if the love for our team is blinding some of you. These new Uniforms are disgusting. One of the worst looking in the CFL. They look cheap come and across as very amateurish. Watching game one with my group we had many comments about how they look like an arena football league team. I get what their trying to do, at least I think I do. Trying to attract new younger audiences, but damn. I can't imagine they sell many of these.