How do the Lions get Fera on the roster?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

peeby
Starter

That's Anthony Fera, the guy who was a better kicker than punter. While Leone has been very good for much of the season, he has become a liability the last few games, FG-Convert-wise. Probably wilting a bit as it's his first year of pro football. He needs a break, and the Lions need some FGs and converts. Somehow, the Lions have to keep Leone from other teams who might go after him, but they do need a dependable FG kicker. That could be Fera.

Maybe Leone hurt something in the Edmonton game and could go on the one game list with Fera replacing him?

Or maybe, if Hunter Steward is actually ready, he could take one of the import spots on the O-line and Fera could come off the practice roster.

How 'bout Oliafoye? He's not going to be back. No one in their right mind would bring him back after the poor season he's having. Not sure they keep records of O-line penalties, but he must be in Dean Valli country about now.

Either way, Leone needs to watch a bit, get his confidence back or get fired up to get back in there. Will Wally do something? I don't really know, but it's what teams that are serious about winning do. The kicker can't do their job, move to another one. Kickers must make their kicks in pro ball.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If the Lions want to use two roster spots for American kickers, they could sit one of their other designated imports, Rainey, Curran or Roh. Did Curran even play today against his old team? I didn't see him and he didn't have any stats but he was on the roster.
maxlion
Legend

peeby wrote: Maybe Leone hurt something in the Edmonton game and could go on the one game list with Fera replacing him?
Hmm, I think I saw him limping a bit after that missed convert... :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The dilemma for the Lions is what do they need most. Field position ? Leone is your man with his booming kicks. Field goals/ converts ? Fera is probably your man but he's not a natural punter.
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:The dilemma for the Lions is what do they need most. Field position ? Leone is your man with his booming kicks. Field goals/ converts ? Fera is probably your man but he's not a natural punter.
I think that it's in both both Leone's and the teams best interests to give the guy a rest for awhile. He's just lost it. If we keep playing him, he could be permanently ruined!
Rodu
Champion

You need to dress them both, as you need Leone's punting
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:The dilemma for the Lions is what do they need most. Field position ? Leone is your man with his booming kicks. Field goals/ converts ? Fera is probably your man but he's not a natural punter.
I think that it's in both both Leone's and the teams best interests to give the guy a rest for awhile. He's just lost it. If we keep playing him, he could be permanently ruined!
IMO Leone needs to gain experience, so keep playing him. This is a rebuilding year and with the Lions remaining schedule they likely won't make the playoffs or if they do it will be because the Als and Bombers are even more inept than the Lions.

Leone has all off season to work on technique but only 3 more games to gain actual live action play experience.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sean Whyte was available, about to retire from football, and start work in White Rock. Edmonton got him. We did not get him. Did we even think of offering him a contract? Did we make an offer? In any case, he chose beautiful, downtown Edmonton.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
pennw
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Sean Whyte was available, about to retire from football, and start work in White Rock. Edmonton got him. We did not get him. Did we even think of offering him a contract? Did we make an offer? In any case, he chose beautiful, downtown Edmonton.
My thoughts too , Whyte could have kicked field goals , Leone do the punting . Having said that , I'm pretty sure that the missed convert attempt got partially blocked . The TV guys never noticed and did not show any good slo-mo replays , but the replay they showed from the end zone , it sure looked like one Esk got his hand on it and the trajectory changed . And that has happened on a few of the missed converts , something a different kicker is not going to overcome , but does reflect on special teams blocking abilities .
peeby
Starter

A close call against the Argos, but I don't think you can blame the missed converts, blocked punt and blocked field goal entirely on Leone. After all, I think he made all his kick-offs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

With the easy paths rushers seem to get to Leone you have wonder if that gets into his head. At times he must feel like a rookie QB who knows a blitz is coming every snap.

As for Whyte while he's been doing fine in Edmonton he hadn't exactly been Mr. Consistency in Montreal the past few years. That's why he almost had to get a real job.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've mentioned before that Leone's in-game preparation seems lacking. When the Lions are driving in opposition territory, kickers usually hit as many balls as they can into the net on the sidelines, polishing their form. Leone seldom does. When I've watched him he's usually standing on the sidelines watching the play along with everyone else, then takes a swing at air (and in no particular direction) as he steps onto the field. You don't get to be a good kicker without constantly practising. In that regard, Leone is the total opposite of Paul McCallum, who never passes up an opportunity to polish his technique.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

peeby wrote:A close call against the Argos, but I don't think you can blame the missed converts, blocked punt and blocked field goal entirely on Leone. After all, I think he made all his kick-offs.
Heard on the post game there was a missed communication on the blocked punt. Leone was supposed to kick to the OPPOSITE side. Instead he kicked it directly into the rusher.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

For those who want to run Leone out of town, first consider this: Paul McCallum was a journeyman field goal kicker when he was a Rider, prior coming to play for BC. It was in the later half of his career as a Lions that he got ice water in his veins and became a HOF candidate.

Leone started FG kicking in high school but did not FG kick until a senior in college, so he is a really, really raw rookie kicker. Lets give him time to grow and develop, maybe the Lions try a few more 2 point converts, and then just enjoy the field position that his punting provides when not being blocked. :popcorn:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
peeby wrote:A close call against the Argos, but I don't think you can blame the missed converts, blocked punt and blocked field goal entirely on Leone. After all, I think he made all his kick-offs.
Heard on the post game there was a missed communication on the blocked punt. Leone was supposed to kick to the OPPOSITE side. Instead he kicked it directly into the rusher.
That is definitely a strong possibility. Didn't make sense that the blockers on the side he was kicking to bailed to go the other way.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.