Is the CFL playing some pretty boring football?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

peeby
Starter

And if so, what could be done about it?

So, not one of those guys infatuated by NFL hype, but I gave up my Lions season ticket this year because the games have been pretty boring for a number of years. Also, a lot of the games I try to watch that involve other teams don't seem to be all that good either. Pretty sure some of the rule changes the CFL has made recently are an attempt to fix the game, but they've fallen flat (with the exception of the convert rule). The CFL game itself, number of guys on the field, size of the field is not the issue. While the league thinks it might be rules, I think it's the fact that the coaches coach to win and that means mainly coaching conservatively and being very careful with who's on the field at any time. Can't see much to do about that. Coaches want to win and need to.

But, and of course this would never ever ever happen, if you increased the number of starting Canadians (screw that National word) to 9 instead of 7 and teams had to field a minimum of 4 on either offence or defence, that would probably open things up substantially. Teams would have the option of starting 4 Canadians on offense, but then have to have 5 on defense. Or the reverse.

Along with this, you increase the rosters to include more Canadians so teams could groom them in uniform instead of on the practice roster.

I'd love to see each team carry a Canadian QB, but not sure this figures into my scheme in any significant way.

Maybe a salary cap on Canadians, so that teams don't struggle to pay them. I'm thinking of the 100 thousand plus linemen here.

Finally, my reasoning. Well, sort of reasoning.

Look, the CFL is already pretty good quality football. A lot of those Americans were all-stars everywhere they played, but maybe weren't the right size for the NFL, etc. What does it really matter if the quality of the CFL takes a slight dip when the game opens up a bit because you're not facing 4 to 6 super-speedy, high quality DB's?

You use an all-Canadian O-line that ain't quite the old SK or MTL one? Some Canadian D-man gets a couple sacks he might not otherwise have had. Or maybe he would have, because some of these guys are up there with the imports. But you see my point, no? The game needs some kind of pick-me-up.

So, the Lions depth chart for the last game?

Yell-Lee-Rwabukamba-Phillips-Clarke
Bighill on the outside-Lokombo-Fraser (I'm convinced Johnson's position should be a Canadian one)
D-line the same with one CDN position. That's 4 on defence.

Offence then needs 5.

Fabien and Husband at guard with Thorn at centre.
Harris at RB, and Gore at WR.

So, a fairly porous Lion line gets even more porous. What of it? They'd be working against a Wpg defence with at least 4 CDNs, etc.

Again, none of this will ever happen, but the CFL's gotta do something. I feel I'm a die-hard fan, but I gotta say I won't be jumping into any NFL over CFL debates any time soon. I mean, has anyone missed a FG on the last play of the game, had it punted out, then punted it back lately? My all-time favourite play, yet you never see it anymore. I truly believe the CFL has lost its way and that the issue might be that the quality of the American players is too high. We want that, of course, but I find myself wondering if we really need so many of these guys.