Poll ... Who is responsible for the sad state of our team?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who is responsible for the sad state of our team?

Braley, Owner
12%
Buono, GM
36%
Cortez, OC
14%
Personnel Staff
2%
Players
3%
Skulsky, President & CEO
14%
Tedford, HC
12%
Washington, DC
8%

Total votes: 66
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not quite kaputski yet. But it ain't looking good.

If Montreal wins a couple of games down the stretch, they might take the crossover.

The poll in this thread is showing lots of blame for Wally. And rightly so, in my opinion. As many of us have said, his fingerprints are all over this organization. On the off chance that we somehow rally and sneak into the playoffs, of course, he would be entitled to a large share of the credit. Not a likely outcome, but we are not far out of it.

Is the defence showing some signs of being more effective? Dunno. Maybe. But still Oh So Conservative. Deep Prevent Zone. That is us.

From what we saw, and from what some of us expected from Jennings, is it just possible he can kickstart our offence? Maybe so. But we are also hamstrung. Having to play so many Ints in the O Line prevents us from moving a very capable Int running back in for Andrew Harris (Int RBs are a dime a dozen, it seems to me, and they are all very good). Yes, our foibles with the O Line over the years are hurting us big time. And our curious drafting is also hurting us.

Offence and defence. Beat 'em with execution. That is us. No tricks. Seemingly little change in game plans from game to game. Play like men. Beat your man. Ultra simple Xs and Os. Fancy stuff need not apply.

Other than that ... all is orange Kool-Aid.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Two people:

i) Dennis Skulsky for the declining attendance and his inability to address this issue other than blocking off sections of the stadium and raising prices in the once lower priced sections so the Lions' make a profit. So much for his "business plan
Yep. 2016 season ticket renewal packages should be sent out over the next few weeks. Will it be the same old crap? "Renew by Dec 17 to get 2015 early bird pricing"
Going to be real interesting to see the number of people renewing . Didn't renew early last year to get the "early bird pricing". Waited to see what changes the Lions were going to make before deciding. Finally renewed in late February and I still got the so called "early bird pricing"
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Not quite kaputski yet. But it ain't looking good.

If Montreal wins a couple of games down the stretch, they might take the crossover.

The poll in this thread is showing lots of blame for Wally. And rightly so, in my opinion. As many of us have said, his fingerprints are all over this organization. On the off chance that we somehow rally and sneak into the playoffs, of course, he would be entitled to a large share of the credit. Not a likely outcome, but we are not far out of it.

Is the defence showing some signs of being more effective? Dunno. Maybe. But still Oh So Conservative. Deep Prevent Zone. That is us.

From what we saw, and from what some of us expected from Jennings, is it just possible he can kickstart our offence? Maybe so. But we are also hamstrung. Having to play so many Ints in the O Line prevents us from moving a very capable Int running back in for Andrew Harris (Int RBs are a dime a dozen, it seems to me, and they are all very good). Yes, our foibles with the O Line over the years are hurting us big time. And our curious drafting is also hurting us.

Offence and defence. Beat 'em with execution. That is us. No tricks. Seemingly little change in game plans from game to game. Play like men. Beat your man. Ultra simple Xs and Os. Fancy stuff need not apply.

Other than that ... all is orange Kool-Aid.

MTL is a good team, all they need is some kind of stability at QB. There are already one game ahead of the Lions with the tiebreaker in hand, so I don't see the Lions "out-duelling" MTL. WPG too needs some kind of QB consistency, and they can start winning games, and SSK has finally started to win, and if they continue to get healthier, they could over take the Lions as well. In other words, the Lions need to start winning just to maintain where they are, which is currently OUT of a playoff spot and deservedly so.

I thought your observation yesterday on that last TD by EDM said it all. With Sol E. already injured, our best player, by far, is Adam Bighill, playing middle LB, and where was Biggie on that fateful play??? A MILLION MILES from making a single difference...and this is the kind of Defence we want to run in BC???
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
BakeTEAM1040
prospect

Remaining schedules:

Lions: vs. SSK, vs. WPG, @ EDM, vs. HAM, @ TOR, vs. CGY.
Alouettes: @ OTT, vs. TOR, vs. HAM, @ TOR, @ EDM, vs. SSK

Next four weeks, assuming no ties, there is going to be eastern teams losing games which may effect chances of a crossover just a little. Eskimos could still be in hunt for first place until end, so they would for sure show up against Alouettes in game 17. I told Rintoul in our show prep office a couple weeks ago, I thought it might take 9-9 to get in. Although, the Blue Bombers were still at 4 wins at that stage and don't seem to be putting up much of a fight. Still very much wide open, but I think most would agree they must win these next two against the Riders and Bombers.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:MTL is a good team, all they need is some kind of stability at QB. There are already one game ahead of the Lions with the tiebreaker in hand, so I don't see the Lions "out-duelling" MTL.
There is no tiebreaker when it comes to crossovers. Either you have MORE points from wins and ties in the standings, as the 4th place in your division, than the 3rd place team in the other division, which gives you the crossover berth, or you don't, and there is no crossover. If there are ties in points, the incumbent 3rd place team retains the berth in all cases; head-to-head record or anything else never enters the picture. Even a third place team that finishes 8-8-2 (18pts) would not lose its berth to a 9-9-0 (18pts) fourth place team from the other division. The spirit of the crossover rule is that you have to be a better team outright to usurp someone else's berth — no splitting hairs about it as the application of a tiebreaker would perhaps be perceived.

This is why Mtl's loss yesterday was so crucial to our playoff hopes; it keeps us only 2pts and one win out of a playoff berth. With no games remaining against Mtl we will need help to regain playoff status. Ssk gave us some by beating them but we will need more.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:MTL is a good team, all they need is some kind of stability at QB. There are already one game ahead of the Lions with the tiebreaker in hand, so I don't see the Lions "out-duelling" MTL.
There is no tiebreaker when it comes to crossovers. Either you have MORE points from wins and ties in the standings, as the 4th place in your division, than the 3rd place team in the other division, which gives you the crossover berth, or you don't, and there is no crossover. If there are ties in points, the incumbent 3rd place team retains the berth in all cases; head-to-head record or anything else never enters the picture. Even a third place team that finishes 8-8-2 (18pts) would not lose its berth to a 9-9-0 (18pts) fourth place team from the other division. The spirit of the crossover rule is that you have to be a better team outright to usurp someone else's berth — no splitting hairs about it as the application of a tiebreaker would perhaps be perceived.

This is why Mtl's loss yesterday was so crucial to our playoff hopes; it keeps us only 2pts and one win out of a playoff berth. With no games remaining against Mtl we will need help to regain playoff status. Ssk gave us some by beating them but we will need more.
Good to know. Thanks sj-roc
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

Good to know. Thanks sj-roc
Wally is on 1040 know but,,,,, I don't know he sounds in denial about everything
Big Time
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Two people:

i) Dennis Skulsky for the declining attendance and his inability to address this issue other than blocking off sections of the stadium and raising prices in the once lower priced sections so the Lions' make a profit. So much for his "business plan
Yep. 2016 season ticket renewal packages should be sent out over the next few weeks. Will it be the same old crap? "Renew by Dec 17 to get 2015 early bird pricing"
Going to be real interesting to see the number of people renewing . Didn't renew early last year to get the "early bird pricing". Waited to see what changes the Lions were going to make before deciding. Finally renewed in late February and I still got the so called "early bird pricing"
Put me in the camp of completely undecided about renewal. I've felt this way for the last couple of years. The overall cost for tickets is fairly high and I have found that with the schedule, I have been missing more and more games over the past few years. I've said before the cost is way too high given the quality but the Lions have always chosen to go with higher prices in lieu of more people in the stands. The bigger factor is that the games at home have been for the most part quite boring, and it's hard to feel optimistic about the direction of the team. It seems like every year they are just treading water and hoping that Lulay doesn't get injured, which he inevitably does. Even though there have been two exciting wins at home this year (Edmonton and Sask), for the most part the home games over the last two years have been very bland. I want to believe the team is headed in the right direction, and don't want to abandon the team altogether, but with no secondary market to re-sell tickets when I can't go, I usually end up eating at least a couple of games a year.

There's a more global problem with the CFL in general in that I feel the talent level the past few years has dropped dramatically. I read somewhere recently that there have been 21 different starters at QB in the CFL this season. I know injuries happen but I happen to believe that this has to do with the roster ratio forcing teams to mostly play Canadians at offensive line. This is leaving less talented players to protect the most valuable players on the team, and they are failing miserably. Factor in the usual horrible officiating, along with so many stars being injured, and I'd rather just watch at home where I can change the channel.
Rocko604
Rookie

Wally for everything that is happening on the field, Skulsky for everything that's happening off of it (and lack of bums in the seats) and Braley for not caring one iota about the state of this franchise and giving Wally and Skulksy free reign to do whatever they want with no accountability.

The sooner he sells this team the better. He deserves all the credit he gets for keeping this team and league above water, but from a pure ownership perspective, he's let it slide since Ackles passed away.
JohnHenry
Champion

Big Time wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Put me in the camp of completely undecided about renewal. I've felt this way for the last couple of years. The overall cost for tickets is fairly high and I have found that with the schedule, I have been missing more and more games over the past few years. I've said before the cost is way too high given the quality but the Lions have always chosen to go with higher prices in lieu of more people in the stands. The bigger factor is that the games at home have been for the most part quite boring, and it's hard to feel optimistic about the direction of the team. It seems like every year they are just treading water and hoping that Lulay doesn't get injured, which he inevitably does. Even though there have been two exciting wins at home this year (Edmonton and Sask), for the most part the home games over the last two years have been very bland. I want to believe the team is headed in the right direction, and don't want to abandon the team altogether, but with no secondary market to re-sell tickets when I can't go, I usually end up eating at least a couple of games a year.

There's a more global problem with the CFL in general in that I feel the talent level the past few years has dropped dramatically. I read somewhere recently that there have been 21 different starters at QB in the CFL this season. I know injuries happen but I happen to believe that this has to do with the roster ratio forcing teams to mostly play Canadians at offensive line. This is leaving less talented players to protect the most valuable players on the team, and they are failing miserably. Factor in the usual horrible officiating, along with so many stars being injured, and I'd rather just watch at home where I can change the channel.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the ratio of 7 starters from the 20 nationals dressed. Rather than use Canadians in a "skill" position, teams normally place nationals where they can do the least damage. That's been on the OL, FB, outside receiver and safety. Many teams use 11 imports on defence with 6 nationals on offence.

Why not require CFL teams to balance the ratio with a minimum of 3 national starters on both offence and defence? Teams would be forced to draft more defensive players, not just primarily OL'men. Over time the quality of national players should improve, with the 5th or 6th best DL being drafted every year rather than the 9th or 10th best OL, for example.

The requirement of a minimum of 7 national starters should be enshrined in our game. That's rock bottom. Canadian football will never survive with any increase in influence from south of the border. If that's the case we might as well join them. :football:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rocko604 wrote:Wally for everything that is happening on the field, Skulsky for everything that's happening off of it (and lack of bums in the seats) and Braley for not caring one iota about the state of this franchise and giving Wally and Skulksy free reign to do whatever they want with no accountability.

The sooner he sells this team the better. He deserves all the credit he gets for keeping this team and league above water, but from a pure ownership perspective, he's let it slide since Ackles passed away.
Great post. Sums up everything.
Braley has always had that "caretaker" mentality. This club was in shambles when Ackles arrived in 2002 and Braley had been owner for 4 years at that point.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Rocko604 wrote:Wally for everything that is happening on the field, Skulsky for everything that's happening off of it (and lack of bums in the seats) and Braley for not caring one iota about the state of this franchise and giving Wally and Skulksy free reign to do whatever they want with no accountability.

Braley has always had that "caretaker" mentality. This club was in shambles when Ackles arrived in 2002 and Braley had been owner for 4 years at that point.
Yes. Excellent post. Sums it up briefly and well.

Braley -- absentee owner

Buono -- on field product

Skulsky -- off field product

Wally's hire as Head Coach, Mike Benevides? Seemingly in over his head. In Buono's organization, he could not make it work, backsliding all the way.

Wally's hire as Head Coach, Jeff Tedford? Seemingly almost over-qualified for this post in the CFL. In Buono's organization, seemingly lost. Where is his imprint on this team? It might be early to judge what we see, but what we see so far ain't all that good. Offence. Defence. STs. Not all that good.

Once again, can we rally? Fix the players in the right positions? Get the offensive and defensive systems working better? It is possible. But we are 2/3 through the season. Based on 12 games, failing marks for everyone except some players.

The future? If we carry on as we have been, one could expect bizarre drafts and player personnel decisions. One could expect ultra conservative offence and defence. One could expect very pedestrian STs, subject to all the tricks in the book brought by the opponents, with no creative counter measures. We are stuck in the past, in the last century.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

Yes. Excellent post. Sums it up briefly and well.

Braley -- absentee owner

Buono -- on field product

Skulsky -- off field product

Wally's hire as Head Coach, Mike Benevides? Seemingly in over his head. In Buono's organization, he could not make it work, backsliding all the way.

Wally's hire as Head Coach, Jeff Tedford? Seemingly almost over-qualified for this post in the CFL. In Buono's organization, seemingly lost. Where is his imprint on this team? It might be early to judge what we see, but what we see so far ain't all that good. Offence. Defence. STs. Not all that good.

Once again, can we rally? Fix the players in the right positions? Get the offensive and defensive systems working better? It is possible. But we are 2/3 through the season. Based on 12 games, failing marks for everyone except some players.

The future? If we carry on as we have been, one could expect bizarre drafts and player personnel decisions. One could expect ultra conservative offence and defence. One could expect very pedestrian STs, subject to all the tricks in the book brought by the opponents, with no creative counter measures. We are stuck in the past, in the last century.

And that was a great post Joe. Now that we finally have the right players in the right positions, things are looking up...our talent is competitive. However, we will never rival the league's best until we are coached that way!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
peeby
Starter

Gee, I sure don't like talk about Canadian starters being reduced. As far as QB's getting hurt, leave us not forget 2 were hurt here with 3 imports on the line. Also, many good SK and MTL lines had a lot of Canadians. As far as which position Canadians should play so as to do the least damage, there are Canadians playing all sorts of positions throughout the league and playing well. If posters are only looking at the Lions, you could easily make the case that they have ignored the CIS draft to a certain point and this is part of the reason why they are struggling. I find Wally's approach as to where Canadians should play to be out of date. I went to Abbotsford for that fan day years ago and Andrew Harris stood out at RB. That was the year that Wally kept him around rather reluctantly and thought about turning him into a receiver. There are a number of Canadian linebackers throughout the league. There are better Canadian receivers than what we have on several teams. Finally, if Canadian players coming out of university are not improving, why is the NFL sitting up and taking notice?

Reduce the rosters by one more Canadian starter and I drop the game like following it for over 50 years meant nothing whatsoever.

Oops, forgot to mention that aside from the QB, the offensive linemen are supposed to be the smartest guys on the team. Maybe that plays a part in why you use Canadians there!

One less Canadian? Gone!!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

peeby wrote:Reduce the rosters by one more Canadian starter and I drop the game like following it for over 50 years meant nothing whatsoever.
:thup: