Nichols traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

News broke on Rider fans. Apparently Nichols is now a Bomber. This certainly upgrades the Bombers QB situation. Hopefully not by much though....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Bombers continue their endless quest for mediocrity at QB. Nichols won't help them this week but he could start the Banjo Bowl. I don't see him s much of an upgrade though.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From what we see and hear, Nichols was certainly not highly regarded by Chris Jones. At times he did put up some big numbers.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Give their current circumstance this is a good move for not much compensation. He may not be flashy but he is a good utility guy with some experience who is an upgrade over their current pivot. He has some good receivers there so this will be another chance for him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Give their current circumstance this is a good move for not much compensation. He may not be flashy but he is a good utility guy with some experience who is an upgrade over their current pivot. He has some good receivers there so this will be another chance for him.
This could be a great move for the Bombers and Nichols. I am sure that Nichols is moved now as Reilly is coming off IR and it's pretty crowded with QBs in Edmonton and I suspect he's not a happy camper. He's kind of like what Drew Tate is to Calgary except the Esks got lucky with two other young QBs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Give their current circumstance this is a good move for not much compensation. He may not be flashy but he is a good utility guy with some experience who is an upgrade over their current pivot. He has some good receivers there so this will be another chance for him.
You would have to think that the trade for a 7th rounder was a request/demand by Nichols camp. He couldn't be to happy first with the surpassing of Riley, then seemingly Franklin pushing past him. Going from projected starter to third on the depth chart and it is the time to move on. I surprised that the Esks would trade their QB in mid-season to a division rival, but that may be more about the separation between themselves and the bottom three Western teams.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote: You would have to think that the trade for a 7th rounder was a request/demand by Nichols camp. He couldn't be to happy first with the surpassing of Riley, then seemingly Franklin pushing past him. Going from projected starter to third on the depth chart and it is the time to move on. I surprised that the Esks would trade their QB in mid-season to a division rival, but that may be more about the separation between themselves and the bottom three Western teams.

Nichols will be an FA. With Reilly returning the Esks had few options. Clearly Franklin has passed Nichols on the depth chart and they use Lynch in special packages and on kick coverage. Options with Nichols would be the PR, try to stash him on the 6 or 1 game IR or release or trade him. No sense spending money to IR a guy who is not in their plans next year. He could fight that. As he's heading to free agency he need to get somewhere where he can show himself worthy of landing a contract for next year. They can't PR him unless he's willing. That leaves trading him for whatever they can get or release him for nothing. Unless the Riders wanted him Winnipeg would be next up on the waiver wire.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
peeby
Starter

I think a lot of the posters are missing the point of this trade. Nichols seems to get injured a lot. In that sense, he's the purrfect replacement for Willy, who was the purrfect replacement for Buck. Actually, Winnipeg could easily go ahead of the Lions this week, so forget I said anything.