Antolin and Chin cut

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

A second special-teams returner was given their walking papers; Antolin was released today. Also released was Casey Chin. Antolin was not a particular surprise but I am disappointed that Chin was let go as I thought he showed well in the pre-season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Another Lion draft bust.

Look at draft day and Mike Benevides etc when they drafted Casey Chin in the 3rd round 2014 as the 27th pick. You have to watch this as McEvoy is rubbing Mike Benevides shoulders waiting for the 26th pick to be done. Hilarious.

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/96269

Can BC not develop any freaking Canadians????? Don't answer as I have the message - no.

Start as a star - Harris (not a university draft) or else they won't want you.

I love this other video for you couch potatoes and smarmy yikes strength coach boyko... clean house is right. Keep Sandy and Harris. I'd take Chad Kackert as strengths and conditioning coach over more of the old boys club that the Lions seem to keep.

Wally should be planning to go BUT not fired and orderly as clearly this team from top to bottom is in rot and decay.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Antolin didn't impress on special teams. The writing was on the wall for Chin. He's been lingering on the practice roster since game 1
InUrFace
Rookie

Toppy Vann wrote:Another Lion draft bust.

Look at draft day and Mike Benevides etc when they drafted Casey Chin in the 3rd round 2014 as the 27th pick. You have to watch this as McEvoy is rubbing Mike Benevides shoulders waiting for the 26th pick to be done. Hilarious.

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/96269

Can BC not develop any freaking Canadians????? Don't answer as I have the message - no.

Start as a star - Harris (not a university draft) or else they won't want you.

I love this other video for you couch potatoes and smarmy yikes strength coach boyko... clean house is right. Keep Sandy and Harris. I'd take Chad Kackert as strengths and conditioning coach over more of the old boys club that the Lions seem to keep.

Wally should be planning to go BUT not fired and orderly as clearly this team from top to bottom is in rot and decay.
That video was funny ... goes to show you the talent scouting here is garbage to none. Time to Clean House from top to bottom. So who is next to go. ?????
David
Team Captain

Always kind of sad when players get cut mid-season, especially a local kid whose pro football dreams may now be dashed. Somewhat of a surprise, but never a good sign I suppose when you're taken off the 46. I think what it came down to is the club is more enamored of the special teams play of rookie Adrian Clarke and his size/potential at LB.

I guess the writing was on the wall for Antolin. When you're generously listed at 5'7" 196lbs, you'd better be making guys miss and demonstrating some serious top end speed. I just wasn't seeing it, especially this year. Too often on punt returns it was 8 yards and splat.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ballhawk
Legend

Antolin and Chin are on the practice roster, not cut at all.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

ballhawk wrote:Antolin and Chin are on the practice roster, not cut at all.
Correct. They were deleted from the 46 and added to the practice roster today. It's good to see Pascal Lochard back from injury and added to the 46. He is a key special teams player and can back up Harris and Lumbala in the backfield. Chin had been geting work on special teams while Lochard was out.
2015-09-02

Add LB JoJo Dickson (I), RB Chris Rainey (I), WR Lavelle Hawkins (I), SB Bryan Burnham (I) and FB Pascal Lochard (N) to 46-Man Roster

Add LB Casey Chin (N) and RB Keola Antolin (I) to Practice Roster

Place OL Cody Husband (N) and DB Cord Parks (I) on One-Game Injured

Release R A.C. Leonard (I) from 46-Man Roster
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Correct. They were deleted from the 46 and added to the practice roster today. It's good to see Pascal Lochard back from injury and added to the 46. He is a key special teams player and can back up Harris and Lumbala in the backfield. Chin had been geting work on special teams while Lochard was out.
My bad....CFL.CA showed the following:

BC DEL INT Keola ANTOLIN (RB) Arizona
BC DEL NAT Casey CHIN (LB) Simon Fraser

But didn't include the information about them being added to the practice roster. Next time I will look for corroborating information before I post anything I find on the CFL site! :wag:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
My bad....CFL.CA showed the following:

BC DEL INT Keola ANTOLIN (RB) Arizona
BC DEL NAT Casey CHIN (LB) Simon Fraser

But didn't include the information about them being added to the practice roster. Next time I will look for corroborating information before I post anything I find on the CFL site! :wag:
My understanding is that teams aren't allowed to simply transfer a player from the active roster (or any other player list) straight to the practice roster but rather he has to be released outright at which time he is a completely unrestricted free agent. At this point there is no tampering if any other team offers him a contract that he is free to accept, or the original team can offer him a practice roster spot that he is free to accept or reject. All of this paperwork can take time to settle and was probably still getting sorted out when the releases of these two players were first announced and even when this thread was started.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
peeby
Starter

I'm glad someone brought up Adrian Clarke's name. Every time Casey Chin goes on the practice roster, it seems to be forgotten that he was beaten out by this Clarke fellow. In watching the special teams, I feel Clarke is around the ball quite a bit. However, I looked it up and he really has only one more tackle than Casey Chin. But he's certainly bigger, and there is no point for this team to get any smaller. Lochard? Like him a lot.

Antolin a shock to anyone else? In this way.. He looked pretty good last year, appeared to get a chance this year, and really brought nothing. I thought he'd do something.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Mike Beamish, Antolin has been released from the practice roster and repleaced by RB LaVance Taylor.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers
Advancing with LaVance?: #BCLions have released RB Keola Antolin and replaced him on PR with Central Missouri product LaVance Taylor.
Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers
Newest #BCLion LaVance Taylor, a running back, had 15 TDs and nearly 2,000 rushing yards last season for NCAA Division-II Central Missouri.