Jeff talking first day of practice

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

InUrFace
Rookie

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/115299
Watch this vid above. If you look at him, his face looks stressed out. After hearing him in this vid he sounds
confused to me. In the province it says no new schemes have been imputed to the Offense. So that tells me
same O same O again. Just because you insert new players to play doesnt necessarily mean you will do better
if the schemes and play book dont change this season is done. Im not to optimistic with and how they run this
Offense its straight up old and stale, its boring to watch and predictable.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Is this the REAL Jeff Tedford with the blue chip resume or his twin brother - an actor - impersonating a HC?

There's nothing there of substance.

'Someone asked a question - Is it scheme, predictability, personnel - of Tedford.
Answer - If could be some combo on any play. Hopefully not a schematic thing... WAKE up Coach. It is a combo with your team of

CHARACTER & ATTITUDE - SCHEMES - PREDICTABILITY - you got problems in all facets and it's wakey, wakey time.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

I appreciate the club's transparency, but that's not exactly the video I'd post to boost the morale of a wary and disgruntled fan base.

"...it (the breakdowns) is not just one thing that you can say 'oh, if we fix this thing, it's all golden...' "

Yikes.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In that video Tedford basically said nothing, just like his coaching style so far...he has done nothing.

By this point in the season I had expected some signs of improvement in team play, some sort of evidence of influence on Cotez's questionable play calling. Some sort of influence or change in the play and attitude of the D. None of this is happening. Tedford needs to be fired up and kicking some butts to get a different result on the field but is is not happening so I expect another loss coming up in the next game against the Als. :bang:
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I appreciate the club's transparency, but that's not exactly the video I'd post to boost the morale of a wary and disgruntled fan base.

"...it (the breakdowns) is not just one thing that you can say 'oh, if we fix this thing, it's all golden...' "

Yikes.

Yes transparency is all good until it becomes exposure. Lions are exposing themselves to the rest of the season for all CFL teams to take note. Zero change on schemes that are already transparent to the opposition (blitz's not only being picked up but Montreal took advantage of them.).

When the Stamps had success with our current schemes back in the 90's, it was innovative, ahead of the times, plus they had the personnel to push it beyond the rest of the CFL. The current Lions are behind the league in schemes, and the personnel has a very limited amount of potential allstars.

Tedford it is time to take command and push the envelope to find the recipe that will give the Lions success, be creative and understand that the CFL is the league that innovates concepts for football. Ahh what am I thinking, Wally must be in your ear telling you the old stories on how the CFL O and D's should be run.
Entertainment value = an all time low
InUrFace
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:I appreciate the club's transparency, but that's not exactly the video I'd post to boost the morale of a wary and disgruntled fan base.

Yikes.

Yes transparency is all good until it becomes exposure. Lions are exposing themselves to the rest of the season for all CFL teams to take note. Zero change on schemes that are already transparent to the opposition (blitz's not only being picked up but Montreal took advantage of them.).

When the Stamps had success with our current schemes back in the 90's, it was innovative, ahead of the times, plus they had the personnel to push it beyond the rest of the CFL. The current Lions are behind the league in schemes, and the personnel has a very limited amount of potential allstars.

Tedford it is time to take command and push the envelope to find the recipe that will give the Lions success, be creative and understand that the CFL is the league that innovates concepts for football. Ahh what am I thinking, Wally must be in your ear telling you the old stories on how the CFL O and D's should be run.
Why arent we using a rookie QB like other teams do and they have success with them. I think Jennings needs to be part of this Offense we need to see if hes the future or not. He gets 0 reps in garbage time and use a old QB that isnt the future. We need to act now. If this is a year to rebuild then start rebuilding get rid of what isnt working and try something new. I really think Jeff should of told Wally before signing a contract here ..I have full control of the team or forget it. Right now you are right Wally is in his ear along with Washington Wallys loyalists. So tired of the broken record playing over and over again. Time for change at the top. I wont waist another season until Wally steps down or is fired. I know its wishful thinking :pray: but something needs to be done at this point. He needs to realize its time to remove himself from this organization. If he doesnt next season will continue as this season has if not worse. Can we really get any worse ... :bang:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yikes.

I was thinking the exact same things...yikes is right.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:Is this the REAL Jeff Tedford with the blue chip resume or his twin brother - an actor - impersonating a HC?

There's nothing there of substance.

'Someone asked a question - Is it scheme, predictability, personnel - of Tedford.
Answer - If could be some combo on any play. Hopefully not a schematic thing... WAKE up Coach. It is a combo with your team of

CHARACTER & ATTITUDE - SCHEMES - PREDICTABILITY - you got problems in all facets and it's wakey, wakey time.

This is all 100% accurate. As Dano said, Tedford appears to be asleep ever since the end of training camp, its like he's a different person.

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Listened to the video ...

It is hard to get a read on Jeff Tedford.

Knowledgeable for sure. Been around the block in the football world. Had some success.

* Is he running the show? Or is he too much under the culture of Wally Buono?

* How do the players respond to him? He does not come across like a hard driver.

* What is his energy level after his health issues? Energy is key. If you don't have it, IMO, you can't drive people. You can't fight bureaucracy. You can't put your imprint on things.

To me Kent Austin radiates energy. As does Chris Jones. Hufnagel radiates a comprehensive grasp of all under his command. Milanovich to me radiates a quiet drive and resolve to fulfill his plans. This fan has a hard time seeing any of that with Jeff Tedford, at this time. It is still somewhat early. But when does his input on culture start to show? Or is this the end product of the culture he can bring? With a guy like Jones, one saw the energy right away. Boom. His team reflected that, pretty much from day 1.

How does our team look? To me it looks like a mish mash. We have some fiery, team first guys, like Lulay, Harris, Elimimian and Bighill. Although I am not sure any of them is fiery in leading the troops. More by example, not words, or in your face kind of stuff. We have some guys seemingly out of position. We have guys on defence struggling to make it work, when some fans see a system doomed to failure. On offence we see no signs of a dynamic system. On STs we see few signs of life. And we see and hear Wally very much front and centre with his media comments.

It looks like a mish mash to this fan.

"a confused mixture of things"

"a collection or mixture of unrelated things; a hodgepodge"

Not playing or looking like a team.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Listened to the video ...

It is hard to get a read on Jeff Tedford.

Knowledgeable for sure. Been around the block in the football world. Had some success.

* Is he running the show? Or is he too much under the culture of Wally Buono?

* How do the players respond to him? He does not come across like a hard driver.

* What is his energy level after his health issues? Energy is key. If you don't have it, IMO, you can't drive people. You can't fight bureaucracy. You can't put your imprint on things.

To me Kent Austin radiates energy. As does Chris Jones. Hufnagel radiates a comprehensive grasp of all under his command. Milanovich to me radiates a quiet drive and resolve to fulfill his plans. This fan has a hard time seeing any of that with Jeff Tedford, at this time. It is still somewhat early. But when does his input on culture start to show? Or is this the end product of the culture he can bring? With a guy like Jones, one saw the energy right away. Boom. His team reflected that, pretty much from day 1.

How does our team look? To me it looks like a mish mash. We have some fiery, team first guys, like Lulay, Harris, Elimimian and Bighill. Although I am not sure any of them is fiery in leading the troops. More by example, not words, or in your face kind of stuff. We have some guys seemingly out of position. We have guys on defence struggling to make it work, when some fans see a system doomed to failure. On offence we see no signs of a dynamic system. On STs we see few signs of life. And we see and hear Wally very much front and centre with his media comments.

It looks like a mish mash to this fan.

"a confused mixture of things"

"a collection or mixture of unrelated things; a hodgepodge"

Not playing or looking like a team.

Exactly. 100% agree.

Albert Einstein
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lowell Ulrich is basically suggesting all he could see is what you see on a losing hockey team - juggling lines. Scheme changes don't scream out at you here.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/08/28 ... n-to-work/
But Tedford well knows that significant improvement at this stage can only come from within, which timed nicely into bash he threw Thursday at his south Langley estate for his team. Evaluation, he said, is being done all the time.

“People are making assumptions numerous times of what things mean,” Tedford said. “Evaluation is how we’re practicing, recovering, how we’re studying; it’s everything about how we do our day-to-day work. What can we do better as coaches? Are we spending enough time in the meeting rooms? It’s all just internal evaluation of how you go about your business.” It’s back to business all right, or it was Friday prior to another day off Saturday. Ed Willes has his take on the big picture in The Sunday Province and online.
No sign of Wally's old play - when things got tough - bring in the sports psychologist to divert pressure on the team that fans and media alike give them but Tedford tossed a bash at his home so maybe this is his way.

LU's other story is a nice diversion over the break about a chance photo of Barron Miles with his young son carrying dad's helmet and how he's now a fixture with the Lions.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Everything JT said is sensible and accurate in my opinion. I appreciate his direct, professional approach. Still optimistic over here, but the proof will be in the pudding!