NEW BC PLACE 5 YEARS OLD

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

PNE is a non-starter unless and until they get rapid transit to that area. I'm not aware of any plans for such. Any new address will have to be served by rapid transit. I also don't see an owner spending multi-millions on a new stadium while BCP is still available.
Hey I don't either but that isn't to say that it is impossible. You asked a specific question and I responded with three possibilities. There would be pro's and cons for each but they are at least plausible.
Oh God! Spare us!
And what do you wish to be spared of specifically Cardiac?, idle conversation? Speculation? This is the wrong place to be spared of that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
PNE is a non-starter unless and until they get rapid transit to that area. I'm not aware of any plans for such. Any new address will have to be served by rapid transit. I also don't see an owner spending multi-millions on a new stadium while BCP is still available.
Hey I don't either but that isn't to say that it is impossible. You asked a specific question and I responded with three possibilities. There would be pro's and cons for each but they are at least plausible.
Oh God! Spare us!
And what do you wish to be spared of specifically Cardiac?, idle conversation? Speculation? This is the wrong place to be spared of that.
Hey, I am totally fine with conversation and speculation. Heck, you can even throw in gossip, random pontifications and brazen conjectures. Let's just say I would like my seat at BC Place to start developing a butt groove before we start seriously looking at a new stadium in Vancouver. Hell, my wife and I just got accustomed to the ferry and transit schedules for coming from the Island to the downtown; don't start confusing us now. :tease:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Oh God! Spare us!
I get where you're coming from, SP. I don't dismiss the possibility of the Lions leaving downtown someday but it just doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future. I'll be shocked if they ever leave downtown while BCP still stands and it will take a drastic change in circumstances from what currently exists. I don't see it as a priority or even a notion for whoever the next owner might be, as another poster here imagines or hopes it to be even while he doubts it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

I think we would all love to see a new stadium like Hamilton's or Winnipeg's as that should have happened instead of building a new bc place Vancouver could have easily hosted just as many events as they do know , including women's world cup soccer Paul McCartney etc. BC place is way to big for almost anything that comes into town , It only fills up maybe once a year if lucky ( that is all 54,000 seats) The only way a new owner for the Lions will even consider it is if he is buying more than the lions . I do agree as long as BC Place is still hear it will be very hard to do it. But we can wish .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think we've been spoiled for too long with first-class facilities, ownership and management. I can see how some people believe a change in management and perhaps ownership could bring fresh perspectives to the organization, but abandon B.C. Place for an outdoor stadium somewhere in the suburbs? B.C. Place is generally regarded as the best facility in the country. I can just imagine how tough it would be to get Vancouverites to attend a game where they might actually get wet or have to dress warmly.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote: Hell, my wife and I just got accustomed to the ferry and transit schedules for coming from the Island to the downtown; don't start confusing us now. :tease:
Deal! I am usually the one that is confused. It is refreshing to know I'm not alone.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I think we've been spoiled for too long with first-class facilities, ownership and management. I can see how some people believe a change in management and perhaps ownership could bring fresh perspectives to the organization, but abandon B.C. Place for an outdoor stadium somewhere in the suburbs? B.C. Place is generally regarded as the best facility in the country. I can just imagine how tough it would be to get Vancouverites to attend a game where they might actually get wet or have to dress warmly.
Agreed. All this talk about playing outdoors and what have you only comes up when the team is floundering on the field and the crowds lag. We were averaging over 30k+ for a while and getting into the 50k's for WFs when it was still fully indoors and the team was flying at loftier heights. Wasn't much complaining about the roof then.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

While I agree that a new outdoor stadium will not be built for many years to come (could possibly see a partnership with the Whitecaps on a waterfront park sometime, and move indoors for playoff games like the Als), I believe this talk has arisen more out of "new stadiums envy;" modern 25K - 30K structures popping up around the country with a "CFL friendly" capacity.

Sure, winning cures a lot of things. But the new reality of CFL - with high def televisions, lower discretionary incomes, an aging fan base, and more entertainment options, I am not convinced that BC Place is a sustainable model. At least, not with 54,000 seats, or 27,500 seats with curtains and a sizeable percentage of those seats in the end-zone.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
dtrain
Starter

I am one of those that envies the new Hamilton and Ottawa style stadiums, however any thoughts of that here will not happen in the foreseeable future, Lenarduzzi was quoted a couple weeks ago as having no plans to follow up on waterfront stadium plan, being very happy at BC Place.
I believe BC Place can be reconfigured in a much more attractive way than what they're currently doing with the 'sails'. If they tarped off the complete upper deck in an attractive graphic theme (BC Place generic, or combo of Lions/Caps themes - the Sounders did this at Seahawks stadium, looked great), this would look 100% better than the sails. Curious to know what the cost would be, anyone have any idea?
dupsdell1
Champion

dtrain wrote:I am one of those that envies the new Hamilton and Ottawa style stadiums, however any thoughts of that here will not happen in the foreseeable future, Lenarduzzi was quoted a couple weeks ago as having no plans to follow up on waterfront stadium plan, being very happy at BC Place.
I believe BC Place can be reconfigured in a much more attractive way than what they're currently doing with the 'sails'. If they tarped off the complete upper deck in an attractive graphic theme (BC Place generic, or combo of Lions/Caps themes - the Sounders did this at Seahawks stadium, looked great), this would look 100% better than the sails. Curious to know what the cost would be, anyone have any idea?

Yes love that idea maybe the owners will dress it up were you can not even tell there is no more than 27,000 seats. it does need some character on field level and inn the stands to really dress it up . I believe that will happen with the new owners.