Classy Cam Wake with BMAC on TSN 1040 & Crass Cris Carter

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Pauser.. you need to catch up on some media dude. Rick Moffat is the one who said he's put the ARSE back into Arceneaux.
Pauser:

Sounds like you might not have caught the TWO interviews (these weren't short comments) and follow up on Twitter with the Retweets from Gore and Coach Boyko.

The Lions had Manny lined up for a TSN 1040 the next day with the MOJ where they played his comments in full.

Moj asked him about it after he played the tape and he doubled down on them. Then Moj again said he wanted to give him every chance to back track but he chose not to.

You raise a good point about Sherman and here's what the Seattle coach did:
___
Pete Carroll didn't like Sherman's rant vs. Crabtree yet as the TSN 1040 crew question - where were the Lions on this one? Why didn't the Lions get to him before he doubled down on this rant re: the Als? Their questions - and they echo mine and I am sure any others who understand that if you lose you should be looking in the freaking mirror not trashing the guys who won!
First, Pete Carroll took to the mic Monday and said that Richard Sherman understood why Sunday's highly publicized rant at Michael Crabtree was a bad thing for the Seahawks.

Then Sherman reportedly took to his cell phone to confirm he received his coach's message.

Carroll said he pulled Sherman aside earlier Monday and made sure his fiery cornerback understood that his postgame rant against Crabtree, the San Francisco receiver, was overshadowing the Seattle Seahawks reaching their second Super Bowl in franchise history. And the Seahawks coach said Sherman seemed to get the message.

"He was really clear that the last thing he wanted to do was take something away from our team, what we had accomplished," Carroll said.

Later in the day, ESPN reported that Sherman texted reporter Ed Werder with a personal apology for Crabtree. The text reportedly read:

"I apologize for attacking an individual and taking the attention away from the fantastic game by my teammates ... That was not my intent."
As Manny (Rick Moffat of TSN radio gets credit for saying that Manny put the ARSE back in Arceneaux - so I do know his name.

Here's the follow up scenario for next week's game vs the Als:

> Team trending in the tank heads to MTL and the storyline is the Manny Show as neither he nor the Lions nor his team mates have said this is wrong.
> If I were the Lions HC I'd be pissed off that this clown did this after quitting on the play. I'd be pissed at Boyko and Gore for their retweets supporting not him - but his statements.

Quite frankly this is the closest I've come to tossing in the towel in support of this team given their attitude and I sat (often alone) as an ST holder during the down years when I couldn't give my ticket away and I'd have a lot of space there.

There is clearly major problems as the media stories suggest and these guys are around this team.

I can stand losing if everyone is doing their jobs - coaches and players.

But I can't stomach someone yapping off about a team that just won the game. If they're so bad dude how come you lost? While in the world of Manny and Gore it's someone else's fault.

No accountability in this side at all.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Spot on there, Toppy. The charity/etc stuff is all a red herring; most of the high profile players in this league and even some of the lesser lights are active in the community one way or another to the point where you'd almost be hard-pressed to find one who isn't. They say you're only as good as your last game and now with a bye week he/they have to wear this stink twice as long.

The storyline for next week will be: 3 wks ago BC rolled into Ham and were already getting their butts handed to them before the last echoes of the anthem even left the stadium. Then 2 wks ago they went back home and coughed up a furball against a team that hadn't left the building with a win since 15 yrs before. And then last week that "not talented whatsoever" team came out of Ham with a win, first time ever a visiting team won in 11 tries in that new venue, and did it using a backup QB who played most of the last 3Q's (who, come to think of it, has also had some success against us). So after all that, now that we're up against that same team, in their house this time, in which our record is not exactly all that stellar over the last several years, does Manny still think they're "not talented whatsoever"?

And Manny running his mouth is only half the problem. Where's the leadership? Why did NOBODY in the organisation talk to Manny before the 2nd interview the next day? Prime opportunity to get out of that hole and it's just "keep on digging."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Spot on there, Toppy. The charity/etc stuff is all a red herring; most of the high profile players in this league and even some of the lesser lights are active in the community one way or another to the point where you'd almost be hard-pressed to find one who isn't. They say you're only as good as your last game and now with a bye week he/they have to wear this stink twice as long.

The storyline for next week will be: 3 wks ago BC rolled into Ham and were already getting their butts handed to them before the last echoes of the anthem even left the stadium. Then 2 wks ago they went back home and coughed up a furball against a team that hadn't left the building with a win since 15 yrs before. And then last week that "not talented whatsoever" team came out of Ham with a win, first time ever a visiting team won in 11 tries in that new venue, and did it using a backup QB who played most of the last 3Q's (who, come to think of it, has also had some success against us). So after all that, now that we're up against that same team, in their house this time, in which our record is not exactly all that stellar over the last several years, does Manny still think they're "not talented whatsoever"?

And Manny running his mouth is only half the problem. Where's the leadership? Why did NOBODY in the organisation talk to Manny before the 2nd interview the next day? Prime opportunity to get out of that hole and it's just "keep on digging."
That the Lions hadn't said something to Manny was the TSN 1040 chatter. Moj etc were blown away that he doubled down and hemmed and hawed rather than admit he was wrong.

sj-roc - that is precisely my point. This is just a symptom of a bigger problem in this team that doesn't seem to be addressed.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Bench Manny and dress Jeffers-Harris.

It is the purrfect timing for Tedford to make a statement to Manny, the team, and the fans, without having to say anything. And it is an opportunity to take a look at J-H and worse case scenario the Lions are not really going to give up much without Manny in there.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:Bench Manny and dress Jeffers-Harris.

It is the purrfect timing for Tedford to make a statement to Manny, the team, and the fans, without having to say anything. And it is an opportunity to take a look at J-H and worse case scenario the Lions are not really going to give up much without Manny in there.
Benching our best and most productive receiver just because he made some comments that a lot of people here disagree with?

So Pete Carroll spoke to Sherman about his comments because he felt it took away from the Seahawks Super Bowl birth. It doesn't say anything about him disagreeing with the comments or anything like that, just that it overshadowed a huge event for the team. Did Manny's comments overshadow anything? Are we trying to take away from enjoying the loss?

Hell, do we even know what was said on the field? How do we know that the Montreal DBs weren't trash talking our guys all night? Let's just put it this way: Jonathan Hefney is no angel. It wouldn't at all surprise me if he was trash talking and pushed some of our guys like Manny over the edge. Pure speculation on my part, but we don't know both sides to the story, and if Manny were to say some of the things that were said on the field he'd be crucified for that too.
Roar you Lions roar!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:

Benching our best and most productive receiver just because he made some comments that a lot of people here disagree with?

So Pete Carroll spoke to Sherman about his comments because he felt it took away from the Seahawks Super Bowl birth. It doesn't say anything about him disagreeing with the comments or anything like that, just that it overshadowed a huge event for the team. Did Manny's comments overshadow anything? Are we trying to take away from enjoying the loss?

Hell, do we even know what was said on the field? How do we know that the Montreal DBs weren't trash talking our guys all night? Let's just put it this way: Jonathan Hefney is no angel. It wouldn't at all surprise me if he was trash talking and pushed some of our guys like Manny over the edge. Pure speculation on my part, but we don't know both sides to the story, and if Manny were to say some of the things that were said on the field he'd be crucified for that too.
The difference is Mtl left it all on the field. And I suspect the Ticats weren't chirping like Manny after last night's loss, or if they were, someone in the club would sort them out.

I just looked around online for a few minutes for some postgame player quotes. This isn't cherry-picking, btw, it's pretty much all I found the last few minutes.

Collaros in a CP game report: "If you don't come ready to play, you're going to get beat. We didn't play well in all three phases of the game."

From twitter:

DT Bryan Hall: "Hats off to Montreal! They were the better team tonight. We will be back! Apologies to Mr. Mosca! 2-7 at this time last year! I'll take 6-3!"

LB Rico Murray: "Damn that's a tough pill to swallow... At the end of the day it's a minor setback for a major comeback... #ontothenextone"

DB Erik Harris: "Time to deal with the ugly truth and self evaluate. #NeedToBeBetter"

OL Pete Dyakowski: "Ugh. The worst part of losing by only 3 points (aside from losing, of course) is that you can blame it all on any single mistake you made."

I don't see anyone chirping Mtl there, mostly just owning the loss and moving on from it. And this was a game that ended with some chippiness.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree. I proposed that move after last week's game. Aside from sending a message to Manny and the team, the Lions need to find a receiver to play with more heart, and Jeffers-Harris has been waiting all year for the opportunity.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would be surprised if the Leos bench Manny.

It woud be a reaction. Better of course to have the culture in place beforehand re comments to the press.

As they say, the horses are already out of the barn.

To my knowledge Manny was not like this in previous years. ???

Sulky. Disinterested. Selfish.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:I would be surprised if the Leos bench Manny.

It woud be a reaction. Better of course to have the culture in place beforehand re comments to the press.

I can tell you for certain that he's not a selfish guy, nor is he at all disinterested. Sulky? I don't think that's the right word. Frustrated? Most definitely.
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:I would be surprised if the Leos bench Manny.

I can tell you for certain that he's not a selfish guy, nor is he at all disinterested. Sulky? I don't think that's the right word. Frustrated? Most definitely.
But he showed it on the field. It's not what a REC does when the ball hits him in the numbers that defines his greatness, it's what they do on every day whether they are the target or running on the backside routes. They are especially defined when they make a choice - ease up and let the DEF get an INT or become a DB and break up the play.

Did you actually listen to his TWO interviews???? His entire demeanour shows he is not a team player and is not looking in the mirror as to what his part was.

Now how come Cris Carter is still not in deep water?

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/cris-ca ... ookie.html

CRIS CARTER’S “FALL GUY” COMMENTS WEREN’T AN ISOLATED INCIDENT, ACCORDING TO AN AFC ROOKIE
Posted by Andrew Bucholtz on Aug 26, 2015 15:15

Question is why are they playing down these comments? Do they actually only regret they got out?? Do they want their players to have "fall guys?"

Love Mitch Berger on this p/of/crap on Carter:: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... y-1.350208
The_Pauser
Legend

I've heard the interviews, but maybe because I kinda know Manny I can tell you guys have him all wrong, as does the media. He's not the evil villain that people are painting him out to be, and I guarantee you that if the team were 5-3 and not 3-5 that this wouldn't be that big of a story.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:I've heard the interviews, but maybe because I kinda know Manny I can tell you guys have him all wrong, as does the media. He's not the evil villain that people are painting him out to be, and I guarantee you that if the team were 5-3 and not 3-5 that this wouldn't be that big of a story.
I think the point is that the team is 3-5 and yet Arceneaux is acting like they are 5-3. He is not as good as he thinks he is and isn't prepared to admit that he and the team need a wake up call. The status quo at this point is not acceptable and changes need to be made. Arceneaux needs to change or be part of the changes, ie benched for a game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I've heard the interviews, but maybe because I kinda know Manny I can tell you guys have him all wrong, as does the media. He's not the evil villain that people are painting him out to be, and I guarantee you that if the team were 5-3 and not 3-5 that this wouldn't be that big of a story.
I think the point is that the team is 3-5 and yet Arceneaux is acting like they are 5-3. He is not as good as he thinks he is and isn't prepared to admit that he and the team need a wake up call. The status quo at this point is not acceptable and changes need to be made. Arceneaux needs to change or be part of the changes, ie benched for a game.
We're 3-5 instead of 5-3 because (among other things to be sure) he pulled up on a play where he called for the pass. If we were at 5-3 it would be because those kind of plays were being made and that's why not only would it not "be that big of a story", there'd be no story at all. But we're not making those plays and when you don't, your record reflects that. "If the team were 5-3..." is an "if my aunt had..." argument.

And again it's not just his words but the fact that the club seems to be condoning them by their silence toward it. Someone had to pull him aside before he went back on the radio and tell him to own it, but this didn't happen and it speaks to the mindset of the whole organisation.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Again, benching our best receiver is not going to help us get better. We should be throwing to him even more, not taking him out of the game.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sometimes you have to take the bad for the good of the team.