1040 called out Wally this morning - update: 10/13/15

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

squishy35 wrote:Would love to see Dave Ritchie back as a DC.....

Seeing as he retired 8 years ago and is now 77...
squishy35
Legend

DanoT wrote:

Yes... of course... I suggest he would run a better Defense than Mark W. I don't think his Age is limiting......
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

squishy35 wrote:
DanoT wrote:

Yes... of course... I suggest he would run a better Defense than Mark W. I don't think his Age is limiting......

There are people on this forum that could run a better D than what Mark Washington is doing right now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:I don't fully agree with the owner has to be from Vancouver. We are lucky to have an owner not an idiot. We could have a lot worse as those of us who know the CFL for the last 20 years or more have witnessed including right here in BC.
Scary thought alright. Lions haven't had much luck with local ownership. We've had 4 private owners since the days of community ownership ended in 1989. Pezim and Skalbania were local owners. Comrie and Braley weren't.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, for all the money in these climes, I think that much of it started offshore and CFL fandom here is hardly significant enough to generate the kinds of public relations benefits that might interest a local businessman. I'm not saying it is impossible but it took Braley from Hamilton to bail us out last time as there certainly wasn't a line up of local buyers. The fact that the Lions have probably been unofficially for sale now for 2-3 year and the resultant lack of obvious interest doesn't promise it to be an easy search. Now maybe you might get an ownership group that might include the likes of a Toigo, Buble, maybe even an Aquilini but since they are already involved Hockey in this city, football would probably be a poor cousin.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

I think it would be more pressing to find an owner with deep pockets and who is in no hurry to pull up stakes and leave. If they are local, great but long-term stability should be the main objective. I agree having a "face" with a great local reputation and pull would be awesome but I think there are ways to incorporate that community presence besides being the person signing the cheques.

A Bob Young-type would be awesome (local boy done great, buys team as a tribute to his disabled brother who recently passed away--totally compelling). But does anyone know of a local company whose ownership/leadership has that kind of affinity to the Lions? I can't think of any.... Jimmy Pattison briefly leaps to mind but he has very little patience for anything that doesn't make money or post a profit.

Pinball Clemons is the Vice-Chair of the Argos (I know the Argos are not the best example but where would they be without the Pinball?). The Lions had Bobby A. but those guys come around once in several lifetimes. Geroy is widely known but does he appeal to a non-football crowd?

I think the problems in finding the so-called purrfect owner are the same problems be-devilling the team when it comes to expanding and solidifying the fanbase. BC and Vancouver in particular have an overwhelmingly transient population, the majority of the current populace originated elsewhere in Canada or the world and formulated their sporting allegiances to other teams (soccer, cricket, the Riders!...). I think almost every single owner of a sports franchise has some form of emotional attachment to the team they own...for better or worse.

I am just throwing this thought out there......Maybe the team should consider community ownership once again. Once upon a time the best teams from year to year were community owned.
David
Team Captain

Interesting tidbit from this weekly session with Suits and Pratt (courtesy of TSN1040). They talk about rumours circulating from an "inside source" that there is a "battle" going on between Tedford and Buono, suggesting this is a "bad marriage."

Fast forward to 1:10.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/suits-and-pratt ... ush~726170

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Suits re last year from a player, what Benny said to him: "Mike Benevides is not making the call on who is playing and who is not."

Suits: "Where there is smoke there is fire."

If that is the case, that is a problem, says Suits.

Some of us on here have had the impression that Wally still runs the team, that he is very hands on, that he cannot let go, that his shadow is too large, that he calls too many shots.

It is obvious that there is dysfunction within the organization. Any of that stick to Wally? Most of it stick to Wally?

As I suggested, it seems that references to King Lear and to Don Quixote might not be out of line. When you have had near absolute control for 13 years here, and 13 years in Calgary, it is natural to develop "can't let go" tendencies, it seems to me.

The GM should not be showing tape to a reporter, in trying to convince the reporter that the defence is good. If anyone should do it, it should be the Head Coach. But then, some of us feel that Wally has not abdicated that position to the degree that he should have.

Wally's fingerprints are all over everything. Everything. Especially the current, dysfunctional state of the team, at 5 and 9. Personnel. Morale. Philosophy. Systems that suit Wally. All of it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Wally's fingerprints are all over everything. Everything.
Well, everything except for that button at BC Place that reads "Roof Open." :wink:

Seriously though, WCJ, well put. Lest Management think Wally is being unfairly maligned on this board, these are outside sources at play here confirming all our suspicions of him being a control freak. It's not us making this stuff up.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

maybe someone should email wally a link to this thread
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I am somewhat pleased to hear that there is some conflict between the Head Coach and the GM. Maybe Jeff Tedford is finally asserting himself and is fed up with Buono interfering.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think he is a bit passed it himself. What is he now; 76 years old? Officially retired in 2008 so out of the game for 7 years as well. Just don't see that as realistic. In referring to Dave Ritchie.

Now back to your regular programming.....
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I am somewhat pleased to hear that there is some conflict between the Head Coach and the GM. Maybe Jeff Tedford is finally asserting himself and is fed up with Buono interfering.

I agree completely. Through all of this mess Dano and I have been Tedford's hardest critics because THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HIS FOOTBALL TEAM and if its not, you give an ultimatum one way or the other. These rumours are finally showing that Tedford is not taking this mess lying down. I remember Tedford's comments to the press after an early season loss when our Defence was lit up in MTL and they self imploded all over the field...

"...well, we didn't go offsides near as much this week, so that's something..."

Was I alone at the time thinking that Tedford was in disbelief over Mark Washington but had no other option other than to "grin and bear it"? The same thoughts crept in with the Special Teams when he had to essentially take them over 6 weeks ago. And now he is being let down horribly by his own friend and colleague George Cortez. Cortez's play calling alone caused two massive collapses with Jennings in as our QB in EDM and at home last week. Tedford MUST feel like the little Dutch boy with more leaks in the dike than fingers to plug them all with!

This information about Wally spreading through the media does NOT surprise me at all, in fact, when everything finally comes to light (say in another couple of years) I strongly believe that it will lead to a major revision of Wally's history, as there are going to be some MAJOR skeletons revealed in Wally's closet when all of this finally leaks out. Benevides was nothing more than a "shadow coach" for Wally, while he held both Chapdelaine and Stubler back from truly running their own units the way they wanted to. And as for his underperforming assistant coaches that somehow maintain their jobs because his players never seem to execute for him, well, that's a book unto itself.

But I really believe that Wally's greatest harm to the Lion's franchise is the widespread talk around the league amongst the players that playing under Wally is NOT an option for them. We have been squeezed out of the FA market for quite a while now, and its going to take some time to build a new league wide reputation here.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I am somewhat pleased to hear that there is some conflict between the Head Coach and the GM. Maybe Jeff Tedford is finally asserting himself and is fed up with Buono interfering.

I agree completely. Through all of this mess Dano and I have been Tedford's hardest critics because THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HIS FOOTBALL TEAM and if its not, you give an ultimatum one way or the other. These rumours are finally showing that Tedford is not taking this mess lying down. I remember Tedford's comments to the press after an early season loss when our Defence was lit up in MTL and they self imploded all over the field...

"...well, we didn't go offsides near as much this week, so that's something..."

Was I alone at the time thinking that Tedford was in disbelief over Mark Washington but had no other option other than to "grin and bear it"? The same thoughts crept in with the Special Teams when he had to essentially take them over 6 weeks ago. And now he is being let down horribly by his own friend and colleague George Cortez. Cortez's play calling alone caused two massive collapses with Jennings in as our QB in EDM and at home last week. Tedford MUST feel like the little Dutch boy with more leaks in the dike than fingers to plug them all with!

This information about Wally spreading through the media does NOT surprise me at all, in fact, when everything finally comes to light (say in another couple of years) I strongly believe that it will lead to a major revision of Wally's history, as there are going to be some MAJOR skeletons revealed in Wally's closet when all of this finally leaks out. Benevides was nothing more than a "shadow coach" for Wally, while he held both Chapdelaine and Stubler back from truly running their own units the way they wanted to. And as for his underperforming assistant coaches that somehow maintain their jobs because his players never seem to execute for him, well, that's a book unto itself.

But I really believe that Wally's greatest harm to the Lion's franchise is the widespread talk around the league amongst the players that playing under Wally is NOT an option for them. We have been squeezed out of the FA market for quite a while now, and its going to take some time to build a new league wide reputation here.
Couldn't be said better. Winning during the early years of the Buono regime masked a lot of his deficiencies or at least minimized them as the Grey Cup win in 2011 masked a number of seasons of demise. But there have been many signs along the way that there are issues with Wally. Power, over control, manipulation, deception, denial, confusion, pervasive miserliness, and the creation of an environment of sychophancy all are red flags of underlying personality issues.

I believe you are right MLF. I think there will be many stories one day that will surprise many fans of what it was really like to be in Wally's World.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

In every organization, a 'culture' is developed, a 'climate' is established, and 'informal understandings' of the 'way things are' is established.

Most often, the person who plays the major role in developing an organization's 'culture, in establishing its 'climate' and creating the 'folkways' of how things are to be done is the leader.

In a football organization, where one man has played the role of GM and Head Coach, with rotating employees, with few being with the organization long term, the leader has a more prominent role than in most organizations.

Wally has been our GM since 2003 and he was also our Head Coach from 2003 to 2011 and is a very hands on general manager. Our owneris a hands off owner who has provided Wally with a free reign since 2007.

The hiring of sycophants is done for one purpose only - to provide loyalty to the leader as well as to flatter, protect, and enhance the leader's power. Performance is much less important than loyalty and can even be unimportant unless the leader's job is threatened and then he will do anything, including discarding his sycophants, to protect his job.

The sycophant understands that the reason that he has his position in the organization has less to do with credibility and much more to do with being in the leaders favor.

In such an organization a number of themes will emerge. The first is group think. Instead of having a number of individuals who bring their different perspectives, knowledge, and creativity to the table they will tend to think as one and that thinking will reflect the leaders view of the world (or football in this matter). Anyone who thinks differently will be shut down or discarded. The leader's 'mind guards' protect the vision of the leader. Their own fate is very dependent on the favor of the leader and they know it.

For example, if the leader's view is very conservative then the people who are hired by the leader will behave conservatively too.

A second theme that usually emerges is black and white thinking. Instead of creativity and innovation, which enables an organization to adapt and thrive, black and white thinking creates an organization that is 'stuck' in old thought patterns while the world changes around it.

A third major theme is denial. Denial allows the people in the organization to keep on doing what they are doing, whether it works or not and blaming anything or everything rather than looking inward at itself. This denial impacts the individuals in the organization who begin to engage more and more in the practice, following the lead of the leader.

Fourthly, individuals in the organization learn to stay under the radar screen, to keep their thoughts and opinions that might differ from the leader's opinions to themselves and to always defer the spot light to the leader. True teamwork gives way to avoiding blame and making sure one follows the 'script' of the leader. One never speaks out, even in private because that is viewed as a threat. (something Andrew Harris has not learned and is being embarrassed by having Wally tell the press that Harris essentially needs to 'prove himself" over the remaining games of the season before being considered for a new contract)

And while this post could continue for much longer, finally RESPECT becomes a one way street. Respect ALWAYS has to be shown to the leader while respect is never offered in return, when it should be. Classic examples of this are Wally embarrassing Stubler publically for a playoff loss, and then discarding him, and then discarding him (when Wally has lost more playoff games in the history of the CFL that he should have won), stating publically that he would 'mentor' Chap (huh -Wally couldn't coach an offence if his life depended on it) or embarrassing vets who have given long term exemplary service) by forcing pay cuts (there are many ways to achieve the SMS while repecting players) or embarrassing them publically or in front of their team mates.

Wally wants respect for his body of work but has been more than deficient in offering the same to his employees. RESPECT can go hand in hand with tough decisions, whether its releasing a coach or a player. Its not that is is done but HOW it is done that is important. With a lack of respect comes a lack of empathy. Dante Marsh is one of many who understands that well.

It will take a lot more than just changing coaches or changing players to get our Leos organization changed. Right now this Leo organization has numerous problems with its culture, its organizational climate, and its stifling environment that negates change, innovation, and creativity.

In order for those things to change, Wally needs to change or Wally needs to go. The chances of Wally changing at this stage of his career are very small. He used to bring in a sports psychologist and one solution would be for a sports psychologist to come in and look at the organization's culture, climate , and environment and the negative impact Wally has on it and attempt to get Wally to change. The chances of that are lower than Whoopie Goldberg becoming a conservative.

The second solution is to hire a new GM or hope Wally steps down as soon as possible and we hire someone who has the leadership skills to create a more positive culture that promotes true collaborative team work, new ideas, passion, excitement, innovation, and creativity.

You can attempt to rearrange the chairs on the Titanic or you can start again and build a better ship. In order to build a better ship, we need a new leader to do so or this old ship will continue to leak.

Since I used the word RESPECT here, I also recognize that Wally came in here, under the guidance of Bobby Ackles and created some consistent winning seasons for a while, that we had not experienced for a long time. We won a couple of Grey Cups in Wally's 12 previous years as our GM.

But Wally seems to have a much higher opinion of himself than his record here shows. Most of the press and media in Vancouver still have Wally high on a pedestal but free agents won't come here, even when offered more money. (Jamal Westerman sure would have looked good in a Leos uniform rather than freezing in Winnipeg). Wally is highly defensive, llves in denial, and scapegoats, blames, devalues ,or discards othersw instead of looking at himself and attempting to continue to grow. Success involves continuously adapting to a changing world, including the football world and Wally is stuck in a world of yesterday and actually far beyond yesterday.

He also lacks the confidence to hire people who might have a different view of the world - instead he hires people or continues to employ people based primarily on having or being willing to be loyal to Wally , rather than competence and performance, as well as integrating Wally's World into their ways of thinking.

Until we can change the type of leadership we are experiencing in our Leos organization, most changes will only be temporary. We can change a coach or a quarterback and get improved results but until we change the most important thing that needs changing, we cannot expect the results we are all hoping for.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)