Changes you'd like to see over the bye week

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'd move the deck chairs from the port to the starboard side, as I think the rescue ships will be more readily visible from that side of the ship, personally.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

FEAR_THE_ROAR wrote:if you think there actually is going to be changes you're crazy lol. Back in our grey cup year we didn't fire any coaches, trade any of our big name players away or really cut anyone, and thats when we didn't win a game, so what makes you think well do something now? The biggest thing we did was bring in Arland and there is no one who we can bring in this year.
Besides bringing in Arland Bruce, the Lions also brought in Tad Kornegay in 2011 and moved Korey Banks and Ryan Phillps around in the secondary. That juggling of personnel was the key to the turnaround. The defence, which ranked last in the league after five games and had been giving up big play after big play, was ranked first in the league the rest of the way. I don't know if there's an equivalent move that can be made this year. There is too much inexperience throughout the lineup. The Lions probably need at least one new defensive lineman, a middle linebacker and a safety for the defence to be competitive.
maxlion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:If you strip away the varying degrees of venom directed at Wally and certain members of the coaching staff, I think most of us are on the same page, and have been saying some of the same things that Wally said to the coaching staff about self-scouting and that Andrew Harris said to the coaching staff about playing an attacking style of football. I'm hopeful that we'll see some changes after the bye week.

MLF raised an interesting point about the 2011 team. It possessed an experienced, championship-level defence and a highly mobile quarterback with an emerging running back in Harris and two top-notch receivers in Geroy Simon and in-season acquisition Arland Bruce. This team has nowhere near the talent and experience of the 2011 team. The secondary is young and unproven, the defensive line, apart from Khreem Smith, is young and unproven (to put it charitably) and the linebacking corps has a big hole where MOP Solomon Elimimian used to play. Even with midseason changes in scheme and personnel, a reasonable goal for the 2015 team is just to make the playoffs.
This is an excellent post. The fact of the matter is that success in sports is cyclical, and we are already in a rebuilding phase. Big changes were already made to the coaching staff and personnel over the past 2 years. We are among the youngest and most inexperienced teams in the league. If Austin and Hufnagel stick around long enough, they also will have to face rebuilding at some point. Can the GM who helped build up the team also oversee the rebuild? It is rare, as usually they get replaced during the waning phase. Sometimes certain tendencies become too pronounced over time and need a new perspective to balance out. But Wally has been fairly ruthless in identifying issues and making needed changes.

If we can make adjustments and make the playoffs, we have a chance to surprise. But, more realistically, we are building for next year.
Don Miller
Legend

:dizzy: Let's put the defensive players in their proper positions according to size Westerman Roh playing out of position. Put Fraser or Parker in at safety.
Offense Terrence Jeffers Harris deserves to play. Not impressed with a guy who gives up on a ball and lets the defender dive and catch for an intercption. More motion in backfield, quick slants, Lulay needs to throw on the run much better passer than in the pocket. If Jock Sanders is available lets get him on the roster as a punt/kickoff returner Antolin should be benched or cut. Long time season ticket holder here who is more than frustrated and disappointed. If Sask had a decent defense they would be at least 5-3.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Blitz
Team Captain

The longer term solution is for Buono to retire, for Washington, McMann, and Khari Jones to ply their trade elsewhere, and to get a top notch personnel guy in here like a Shivers of old or an Obie. We also need a new President.

Shorter term, we need:

1. A New Offensive scheme. The best scheme right now in the CFL is JaquesBall`s scheme in Saskatchewan, which combines the Pro Style offence with elements of the spread offence and the West Coast offence. It also has a lot of motion and misdirection in it.

However, an H Back Tight End offence also has great appeal if Tedford and Cortez would just implement it. Its a pro style offence that would best utilize our talent.

2. A nNew Defensive Scheme., Passive zone defense with a weak pass rush is not going to cut it in today`s CFL. We need a multi-formational new defensive scheme built around our defensive strengths.

3. Personnel

These changes. on offence, would include the use of a rotional tailback to spell Harris off and introduce an outside speed factor (eg: reverses and fly sweeps for Lawrence), a new slot back who can help open things up (eg: Jeffers or Hawkins) and rotationg Gore and Iannuzzi at wide side outside receiver.

Secondly, we need to give Lulay a break when struggling. My choice would be Jennings and not Beck.

Defensively, we need to get Westerman back inside, Roh on the outside in his proper position, and we desperately need an NFL cut who can come here and be a stud pass rusher. Smith is too old and Bazzie, while he showed promise last year is too light.

We need to also use our linebacking personnel properly and we need to play tighter pass defense, to allow our defensive backs to play more aggressively.

We need to stop dropping linebackers as safeties and use dime backs when we want to go into those coverages.

On special teams we need to give Lawrence a chance to return punts and rotate in Iannuzzi.

PLAY CALING AND ADAPTION

I`m not sure we will be able to do this but the reality is that we have two coordintors who are very stuck in black and white thinking and can`t or won`t adjust.

Montral blitzed the hell out of us and yet we did not use slip sreens, hot reads, etc. We could have used the tight end to brush block and go over the middle on a quick slant in the hole created by the blitzing linebacker. We could have slipped Harris out of the backfield half the time (which Chap got hell for) rather than keeping Harris in to block all game. We could have used motion to get players into space with speed quicly to combat the blitz but we didn`t. Cortez had been rigid and unwavering.

We know defenses will key our run and Harris until we can change our offensive ways.

On defense, when a team like Montreal drops Bowman out of its lineup to use two tailbacks prior to a game, Washington should know they are going to try to run the football down our throat. When they keep running for over 250 yards in a game, he should have adjusted with run blitzes..but he didn`t. He just allowed Montreal to chew us up. Washington could have inserted a big nose tackle prior to the game but didn`t.

Rigid thinking has resulted in terrible results. A pee wee football coach would adjust better than this. It`s gotta change. The big question is do they have the ability to do so. These are professional coaches - its shocking to see their lack of adjustments.

On defene
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lui05
Rookie

Others have discussed the defense, so I have nothing better, special or insightful to add to that. Others have discussed special teams. Hindsight being 20/20 (and apparently their foresight being non-existent) - obviously it would be nice to have one of our two returners from last season. But, that said I don't have too much issue with the special teams. I think Leone has been great with the punting (lots of practice) and has been instrumental in our 3-5 record. There's the obvious 55 yard field goal to tie as well as a great FG success percentage. But his punting has put the opposing team in long field situations many times which allows our somewhat porous defense many opportunities to get off the field. If we don't have that advantage, we could very well be without a win this season. Beyond just deep punts, the coverage on those punts has been adequate.
Where I would make changes is offense:

1. First change is the scheme. Stop with the long passes that never work. Roll Lulay out of the pocket where he's more comfortable and I think a little more accurate. Run Lulay more - maybe. The game against Saskatchewan where he rushed for 105 yards was brilliant. All running plays were executed safely and kept him protected. And it kept their defense on edge not knowing what to do which made the passing game and the running game with Harris more effective. A defense that doesn't know what the next play is, is a defense fairly simple to beat. A defense that knows Harris will get the ball on first down every time will be able to stop that play with great consistency.

2. My only other change would be to cut Arceneaux. I personally find him useless. Leonard seems to have an inability to catch the ball in critical situations, but at least he's cheaper and doesn't emit the "locker room cancer" smell. Collie I think can be groomed into a good player. His effort coming back to the ball on that one pass he caught against Montreal was very good. He not only prevented an interception, but caught the ball for a first down, I believe.

To close, I just want to state for the record that I don't think those are the only two changes needed. I'm just deferring to others on the defensive changes that are required. :)
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote: But Wally has been fairly ruthless in identifying issues and making needed changes.

If we can make adjustments and make the playoffs, we have a chance to surprise. But, more realistically, we are building for next year.
Except for his coaching friends. Washington and McMann should have been let go along with Benevides and Dorazio.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If you want a sample of YOUR British Columbia Lions take on the MannyNOshow84 interviews you need look no futher than Shawn Gore whose taken to twitter to show his lack of concern.

https://twitter.com/SGore85?lang=en

Manny has a good one - 'don't check on me unless you have a CHECK for me ...'

I 'm a big CFL fan and not a jersey wearing, face painting, drum beating guy anyway but this team is rotten to the core with a lack of leadership from the HC on down. I respect those fans who do the jerseys but hey I won't dress up for Halloween either and wear only team gear if I'm on that team or the coach.

It's easy for me to watch CFL games for the pure joy of the game (woke up at 5 am today for 2nd half of OTT - TOR) and the fun analyzing coaching decisions but this is the first time since 1955 or 56 when I first started going to games I've felt this is not a team I can support and it's nothing to do with the GM or President and certainly not this owner who deserves better and who did his part to save this team and it will eventually get righted. The attitudes in too many here suck when players stick up for the BS that might have been a difference in the Loss. When I'm home I'm usually a tireless advocate with friends for the CFL and this team even if they lose - but today I'd be really kind of 'screw them'.

I'm coming back in October and have always bought either ST or gone to games game by game but I definitely can't identify with this lot of players other than like tuning in the Riders to see if there's another train wreck as we all like to look when disaster strikes.

Feel bad for the guys really busting their tails and I've been a critic of Harris too but his telling it like it is in the media puts him back in my good books along with a lot of guys like -

Lulay, Phillips, Bighill, Sol E - the guys that sound like it is about team and Harris' comments about attack just maybe had to be said as clearly they haven't heard the fan and media talk these days. On LULAY Tom Higgins shouldn't maybe have said it but he said pre game with Rintoul he'd trade Cato for Lulay and it was a compliment. Honestly even with Turk's failure to use his assets Lulay would have a field day in the Als offense. BTW some feel the criticisms of Cato by TH and TurkS have made Cato play more in fear of failure. He does seem to be slower at times in dec making.

I am sure there are other guys busting their tails not telling Arseneaux type tales and some new to the CFL and struggling with the kind of preparation they get (the OLine like Foster - we never saw that before kind of quotes.

Shawn Gore's defence of ARSEneaux speaks volumes about the character of these BC Lions. I know they're gone but wow.. to defend the indefensible shows more lack of class, lack of commitment to team and wins.

1. Can you imagine Joe Kapp taking the Lulay high road if he had receivers not getting into the game and not going for a pass letting it go to an INT?

2. Can you compare one receiver in this group to the best we've seen in Lion uniforms over the years?

3. Can one guy measure up in this REC corps to Darren Flutie in his BC days when he was a favourite of Austin, McManus?

4. STs - has BC ever been this non-dangerous in kick returns?

I'd trade this entire group of REC for any other group in the CFL today and not blink an eye or even think about (other if the contracts didn't fit).

Ianuzzi has his critics but he's an honest player who does his job and is not afraid of kick returns either. But he's not playing much. Hmmm... what does this say?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The post game statement by Arceneaux is quickly becoming another distraction that the Lions don't need.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The post game statement by Arceneaux is quickly becoming another distraction that the Lions don't need.
Many players are likely gone and not on Twitter or listening so some in the team might know nothing or little or don't care other than Gore who is fine with saying it like it is in his and Manny's world.

It's getting lots of cover and it won't win friends in the media but I don't hear many in the media singing BC's praises and none of it from TSN.

Harris though is really on message and speaks what we say here on the offense. The DEF is another story.

I think for me the talk and media responses are eye opening as to the attitudes and perspectives of many of today's football players. They may all be God loving God fearing players but the narcissism and me first attitude in a lot of them is hard to listen to - even if they win.

It's a tough sport and a worse business for guys who have made their universities rich and yet haven't gotten much of the proceeds in return. Yes, the cream and the fortunate might go to pro careers and more money than they could ever get working a regular job but they too have friends and team mates where it isn't great and fans like me even are fickle and don't always see the human side of this business. They all know one play could be a season or career ender or the coach calls them in and they're replaced. The CFL for all isn't that great a payer and like me in Hong Kong with a home in BC our extra expenses and travel costs eat a lot of the extra cash.

--

I got a response on Twitter on my leadership post and my comment re Manny A.

An unshaven Jeff Tedford on the bye week for players and coaches.

Other than self scouting to do it's just more of the same pablum we've come to know and love. No fire, no real focus, no real understanding of the mess they seem to falling into. The trend is not their friend - it's looking down.

http://bclions.com/video/index/id/114831
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
maxlion wrote: But Wally has been fairly ruthless in identifying issues and making needed changes.

Except for his coaching friends. Washington and McMann should have been let go along with Benevides and Dorazio.
I agree. I'd support a change now.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

On offense and defense, what I really think the specifics of what everyone is saying here can be summed up with something I've been saying on this board for 11 years now:

Scheme to the strengths of your personnel, rather than expecting personnel whose skill sets are ill suited to run schemes that aren't their strengths.

And until this club understands that scheming to your personnel is an essential component of a rebuilding/reloading year, the results are going to be roughly what we're seeing now.

Also, get a Special Teams coach that knows what he's doing already.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:On offense and defense, what I really think the specifics of what everyone is saying here can be summed up with something I've been saying on this board for 11 years now:

Scheme to the strengths of your personnel, rather than expecting personnel whose skill sets are ill suited to run schemes that aren't their strengths.

And until this club understands that scheming to your personnel is an essential component of a rebuilding/reloading year, the results are going to be roughly what we're seeing now.

Also, get a Special Teams coach that knows what he's doing already.
^^quoted for truth.

It is unbelievable that the coaches can't adapt schemes to compliment the players' abilities but instead insist on forcing players to adapt their skill set to fit the scheme EVEN WHEN IT IS LESS THAN IDEAL OR JUST DOESN'T WORK. :bang:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

All anyone has to do is read the comments of Blitz, Joe, Toppy and Cro...the truth of the Lion's problems are all there in black and white to read. There is no spin or exaggeration...the Lions appear leaderless...they have no aggression and thus no spark...they play dull, uninspired, careless football that does NOT cater to the specific skill sets of the roster that THEY put together!

How dumb does one have to be to believe that all the Lions need is a little "soul searching"? This team has SERIOUS PROBLEMS that start with a MGT group NOT doing their jobs properly, a coaching staff that is getting schooled week in and week out by the opposition, a talent base that is clearly at or near the bottom of the league, and NO CONNECTION between any of these groups. Other than through some of the players, have any of you heard a single true statement spoken by the Lions this season??? At least Mike Benavides admitted that he and the team "sucked".

MASSIVE philosophical changes are needed before this thing will change...and the longer it takes the Lions to do this, it will ONLY get worse and that much harder to fix! The comments of Harris, Arceneaux and Gore show that there is a huge disconnect with this team. Mark Washington is not ready to be a DC in the CFL...plain and simple. Chuck McMann isn't good enough to be a professional Special Teams coach. George Cortez is living inside a fantasy and is by definition INSANE by continuing to roll out the same crap every week while expecting different results from he is getting!!!

And through it all, Jeff Tedford has sat back and said very little and nothing of use. His greatest indictment of the defence was that at least they were starting to take fewer penalties!!! There are DRASTIC problems with the Lions that all tie into the day that Bob Ackles passed away!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great post MexicoLionFan.

There is no one in the organization above Wally who has the background to question the decisions being made in the football operations. This is where Ackles is sorely missed, never mind the marketing side either.

When the Lions cut Tim Brown on May 24, just 10 days or so before training camp, I was naive enough to think Teford had simply found someone better and younger with his connections down south. Here we are today with the lead-footed Antolin doing nothing with return game while Brown continues to be very productive with a division rival that is already light years ahead of BC. Simply pathetic.

He also came here with this “quarterback whisperer” reputation yet there is no willingness to give a youngster like Jennings quality playing time to excel his development. The Lions are hitched to Lulay regardless of how bad he struggles at times and it’s a 34-year-old back-up behind him. Extremely discouraging for this franchise moving forward.

I know Tedford came back to the CFL for the health reasons to avoid the longer hours and stress that comes with high-profile positions down south but I was hoping he would be a hell of lot more hands on than he has been thus far.