Als 23 @ Leos 13 - Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:If you had $200 and wanted to buy a customized Lions jersey ... name one player it would worth that wasn't a member of the 2011 cup team? It tells you all you need to know of how their recruiting has gone in the last 4 years.
Emmanuel Arceneaux
Courtney Taylor
Jabar Westerman?

Granted the first two are kinda cheats since Manny was in the NFL, and CT was on our practice roster.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Post game interview with Arceneaux proves my point on character.

Respects NO ONE on the Als DEF!! What a piece of crap that statement is

Burns and Moj ripped the heck of him.

Burns has developed into a top notch analyst. He points out we're too small on the DL...

Great show - better than the game.
I heard that interview. Not to defend Arceneaux, but perhaps his statement made in the heat of the moment.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:If you had $200 and wanted to buy a customized Lions jersey ... name one player it would worth that wasn't a member of the 2011 cup team? It tells you all you need to know of how their recruiting has gone in the last 4 years.
Emmanuel Arceneaux
Courtney Taylor
Jabar Westerman?

Granted the first two are kinda cheats since Manny was in the NFL, and CT was on our practice roster.
I wouldn't bet on Arceneaux and Taylor being on the roster for long. LU was on the radio with Sekeres and Caravatta at noon. He said the most likely changes that Lions could make at this point in the season would be to insert two receivers who are already getting practice reps and have shown flashes, Terence Jeffers-Harris and Bryan Burnham. They happen to back up the positions now occupied by Arceneaux and Taylor. And if the Lions liked what they saw and wanted to make a permanent change, they still have one or two more games before veteran contracts become guaranteed for the rest of the year (after 9 games for 6-year vets, 10 games for 5-year vets, etc.).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

InUrFace wrote:Question: Why is Wally so cheap? Where does that money he doesnt spend on players end up? Is he pocketing anything for himself. Since he is the GM. Im wondering does anyone have an idea.
So his daughter Christie can have a job
maxlion
Legend

Defense - Held in enough to give the team a chance to win, despite giving up some big running plays. Put pressure on the QB and came up with 2 turnovers in the first half. This was against the 3rd string QB on the worst offense in the league however.
Offense - Hardly noticed them. Playing opposite other teams' second and third string QBs, Lulay does not stand out. I don't think we would notice much or any drop off with Beck in there. Running game was abysmal. Is Draheim missed that much? Very disappointed with Manny's locker room comments. Gives the Als some pin up material for their locker room in 2 weeks. Just plain ignorant. AC's drops at critical times hurt a lot. Overall, not much positive to say here.
Special Teams - What happened to Antolin? Looked quick last year. This year, no speed, can't find a hole (but not too many holes were there from my perspective). Coverage was poor against Logan, who looked fantastic. Was his release due to being cheap, or to try to fit into the salary cap? Either way, wish he was still here on offense and ST.

This is a critical point in the season if we are going to salvage anything from this year. Coaches have a lot of work to do. I'm still hopeful, but this team is painful to watch.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Post game interview with Arceneaux proves my point on character.

Burns has developed into a top notch analyst. He points out we're too small on the DL...

I heard that interview. Not to defend Arceneaux, but perhaps his statement made in the heat of the moment.
Manny will be on 1040 with Moj in the 4pm hour. Will be interesting to see if he backs down from what he said last night as a heat of the moment thing like you said, or doubles down and digs in his heels. I'm thinking the former.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote: I encourage everyone on this board as Lions fans to vote in 1040 polls anytime the Q is Lion-related, even if it's on a topic where you don't have a particularly strong view. I would think they keep an eye on the volume of response these polls garner as a guide to how they set their programming. I heard Sekeres yesterday saying they get a lot of correspondence from listeners who complain, "Why do you spend so much time covering a second-rate league like the CFL?" Maybe not exact quote but that was definitely the spirit of the comment he was trying to convey. So we have to make our voices heard as well. I was listening to Rintoul one evening a week or two ago and he read an email from a listener who said 1040 should be all-hockey. I know this might be all a bit ironic considering for which league the network has TV rights but there you go; we should remain active in countering these views.
Yep plenty out there in social media taking a shot at the Lions during this downward time for the franchise. A lot of them Whitecaps fans who seem to think they are clearly now the No. 2 sports team in this town with their 21,000 configuration in a 54,000 seat stadium. Apparently they are doing everything right yet tomorrow's night game still isn't "sold out" against a quality opponent.
Also got this email 2 days ago:
Ladner FC Special Offer

Whitecaps FC vs Seattle Sounders

Sept 19 @ 4 p.m. at BC Place

Tickets $22

Hard to believe they have to offer special prices for arguably their biggest rival coming to town with that limited capacity.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:

"I mean I really don't know what to say. Montreal isn't good, not talented whatsoever. It's just one of them games we let slip away. I don't respect nobody on their side of the ball where they at. It's just something we gave them. [sic throughout]"

I mentioned he'd be on with Moj & Jeff Paterson, here's the interview; doesn't start until a few minutes in as they first cover the breaking Higgins firing story.

Arceneaux: I feel the same as I did yesterday

They gave him every opportunity to take back what he said after having a night to sleep on it about not respecting Mtl ("I'm trying to give you an out here," as Moj put it), but passed it up. Moj bristled when Manny suggested the media was blowing it out of proportion and got somewhat combative with him on the "no respect" comment. Good that he faced the media the next day over what he said but disappointing to hear him still singing this same tune the next day. I figured JT and/or WB would have had a word with him about it and maybe even put him up to this interview today but that wasn't the case.

The Manny Show? More like Manny NO-Show. *smh*
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

"I mean I really don't know what to say. Montreal isn't good, not talented whatsoever. It's just one of them games we let slip away. I don't respect nobody on their side of the ball where they at. It's just something we gave them. [sic throughout]"

I mentioned he'd be on with Moj & Jeff Paterson, here's the interview; doesn't start until a few minutes in as they first cover the breaking Higgins firing story.

They gave him every opportunity to take back what he said after having a night to sleep on it about not respecting Mtl ("I'm trying to give you an out here," as Moj put it), but passed it up. Moj bristled when Manny suggested the media was blowing it out of proportion and got somewhat combative with him on the "no respect" comment. Good that he faced the media the next day over what he said but disappointing to hear him still singing this same tune the next day. I figured JT and/or WB would have had a word with him about it and maybe even put him up to this interview today but that wasn't the case.

The Manny Show? More like Manny NO-Show. *smh*
Chris Burns listed all the guys he'd play with and Geroy and said these guys did not get INTs on them Elgaard, Narcisse, Flutie etc etc etc.

I've been trying to say 84 is a problem from game 1.

But the bigger question is this:

What kind of coaching and player leadership lets this clown rip the Als who they play again do it twice?

If Lulay had the MTL offense he'd be back on top as a QB. But Tedford says post game one of the PROBLEMS was Lulay flushed out of pocket.
Those times was when the offense looked interesting. This is not the nFL.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I always liked Manny. Talented. Big. Fast enough.

Fun personality.

But ... Where did this big shot stuff come from?

Even when we beat the Riders. Recall Ole Ole Ole Lulay being sung by the team. Manny seemed to act to cut it short. A problem with Lulay?

Reading too much into this? Dunno about that. Look at the body language. Look at the attitude. Sulky.

The Manny Show ain't looking good. Years ago I shared an article with Blitz about psych profiles of football players by position. Guess what? Receivers tend to be prima donnas. Hey, look at me. Me. Me.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Mike Beamish ...
The double negative in Arceneaux’s graceless grammatical construction is apropos, since he didn’t even wave at a late-game throw that turned into a game-turning interception, while hanging his quarterback out to dry. Post-game, when one might have expected contrition, Arceneaux instead offered castigation, dumping on a team that cut through the Lions for 251 rushing yards for Montreal’s first win at BC Place Stadium since Aug. 31, 2000.
“He made a great diving catch,” Lions head coach Jeff Tedford said of the interception by Alouettes halfback Dominique Ellis that led to Montreal’s winning score. “We didn’t dive for it. They did.”
The “we” was Arceneaux, who pulled up on a sideline throw by Lulay that Ellis wanted more. The interception was turned into a fourth-quarter touchdown run by backup quarterback Tanner Marsh seven plays later. That was the back-breaker for the Montrealers.
The Lions came into the Montreal game with the weakest defence against the pass and the most porous against the rush (tied with Winnipeg). B.C. had allowed a league worst average of 406.7 yards in its first seven games. Montreal rolled up 411 in game No. 8.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z3jWZL7FRv
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... y-1.349160

Manny Arceneaux is exactly what I surmised by his play - self centred, egotistical, classless and dumb.

How can you help my team win another game?

Ans:

STFU you classless disgrace to your team and do your job and prove your skill matches your ego.

The Moj gave him every chance to back down and he doesn't.

Where is the BC Lions braintrust with this train wreck out there?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... y-1.349160

Manny Arceneaux is exactly what I surmised by his play - self centred, egotistical, classless and dumb.

How can you help my team win another game?

Ans:

STFU you classless disgrace to your team and do your job and prove your skill matches your ego.

The Moj gave him every chance to back down and he doesn't.

Where is the BC Lions braintrust with this train wreck out there?

Braintrust? Braintrust?

After questionable drafting, worst D in the league, horrible play calling, cutting vets without even letting them get beat out in TC, trouble signing FA cause they don't want to play for nickle dimeing hard ass Wally, that is a brainless trust.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The Manny Show? More like Manny NO-Show. *smh*[/quote]

Chris Burns listed all the guys he'd play with and Geroy and said these guys did not get INTs on them Elgaard, Narcisse, Flutie etc etc etc.

I've been trying to say 84 is a problem from game 1.

But the bigger question is this:

What kind of coaching and player leadership lets this clown rip the Als who they play again do it twice?

If Lulay had the MTL offense he'd be back on top as a QB. But Tedford says post game one of the PROBLEMS was Lulay flushed out of pocket.
Those times was when the offense looked interesting. This is not the nFL.[/quote]

Prior to the Esks/TiCats game in a interview with Odel Willis, he talked about containing Collaras, keeping him from getting outside the pocket where he is most dangerous. So I thought this must be how teams approach defending against Lulay, and then I realized that the Lions keep Lulay in the pocket so the opponent doesn't need to. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Tedford thinks like an NFL coach and it is hurting the team.

I would like to hear from all of those Lionbackers posters who prior to the start of the season were ready to anoint Tedford as the next Lions GM when Wally retires. Still feel that way?

I would like Wally to retire sooner than later as I believe he is past his best before date, but imo the jury is still out on Tedford as a CFL coach, never mind GM.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lulay has avoided another injury but he has not regained his previous form. He is now part of the problems on offense unfortunately. Accuracy on the deeper patterns just isn't there.