Were you expecting more from Tedford?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Let me state from the outset that our problems run deeper than the HC. I'm not even sure if Hamilton's staff of Austin, Steinauer, Condell, and Reinebold could coax more wins out of this Lions team. But after 7 games, I fully expected to see more energy, passion, and innovation from this Tedford coached team.

They told us when he was hired that we were getting an offensive guru with a penchant for developing quarterbacks. That may still be the case. But some less than flattering facts are staring us in the face. His team lost both preseason games (often just flying around the football can get you one preseason win). We have only won 1 game so far that didn't come down to the final minute or OT. His receivers often don't seem that motivated to fight for the football. We're last in team defense in just about every statistical category. We blew a 21-0 lead to Toronto and came out completely lethargic and ill-prepared for a high flying Tiger-Cat team. Worse, I am not seeing a 'stamp' on this team (that seems content to run the same spread offense and doesn't play to Travis's strengths), and tangible in-game adjustments (more stunts and pressure on a Hamilton offense that basically abandoned their run game? How 'bout some slide protection against Hamilton's relentless pressure....or some screen passes??).

Tedford was packaged and positioned like we were privileged to have him; that this was well beneath his pay grade. That may be. But so far I'm just seeing a guy on the sidelines who resembles a hardened 20 year homicide detective surveying a crime scene.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rodu
Champion

No, just one look at the roster moves in the off season, and I was not very optimistic
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Good thoughts David...the bulk of my "review" is on the game article...but I will say that Tedford has allowed his coordinators to coach, and they have ALL LAID EGGS. He is responsible for the product on the field, and as such its time for Tedford to get heavily involved on all THREE aspects of the game and to make SIGNIFICANT changes!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally is the Teflon man.

And Wally is the one most responsible for the mess the Lions football team is in. His fingerprints are all over everything.

Tedford seems to allow his OC and DC to run their own units.

Tedford must have deferred in the CFL draft. How could he assume to have the final say in drafting National players? That has to be on Wally and Neil and their personnel staff.

Tedford is the one most responsible for the product on the field. But he is saddled with holdovers on the Lions staff and with players.

How will this mess sort itself out? Ultimately it will come down to wins and losses, and the turnstile at the stadium.

The longer Wally stays, the more he tarnishes his legacy. And of course Wally can stay as long as he wants.

He is the Teflon man with a lifetime contract from David Braley.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was expecting some innovation on O from Tedford although I wasn't expecting a lot of wins.

So far the H back Offense does not exist, just talk. I expected to see the Spread Offense to be mothballed or limited, instead it is being featured.

I am shocked that it appears Tedford is not aware that the Lulay's strength is rolling out. There has been no evidence that Tedford is a QB guru other than getting Lulay to work on hook sliding and protecting his shoulder in a fall. Here is a news flash, Tedford: LULAY IS NOT A POCKET PASSER.

I expected Tedford to institute changes on O first, then look to fixing the D, however with the O struggling it looks like Mark Washington is being left on his own and it is clear to me finally that MW is not now nor in the future going to be the next great DC to emerge in the CFL as Wally/Benevides lead us to believe. After 25 plus game as a DC I have come to the conclusion that MW is in over his head and probably not getting help from his HC.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well there is a bright side to all of this. Eventually, the level of play will force some kind of change. Last year we had Benevides, the year before Chapdelaine. The turnover is beginning and I don't think Tedford will be content to continue in this vein. With all the years of experience, he will either tell Wally to do something different (ie, give him control of the coaching decisions) or tell him to get someone different. Personnel on the field will change too. Those who don't perform will be gone.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:I was expecting some innovation on O from Tedford although I wasn't expecting a lot of wins.

So far the H back Offense does not exist, just talk. I expected to see the Spread Offense to be mothballed or limited, instead it is being featured.

I am shocked that it appears Tedford is not aware that the Lulay's strength is rolling out. There has been no evidence that Tedford is a QB guru other than getting Lulay to work on hook sliding and protecting his shoulder in a fall. Here is a news flash, Tedford: LULAY IS NOT A POCKET PASSER.

I expected Tedford to institute changes on O first, then look to fixing the D, however with the O struggling it looks like Mark Washington is being left on his own and it is clear to me finally that MW is not now nor in the future going to be the next great DC to emerge in the CFL as Wally/Benevides lead us to believe. After 25 plus game as a DC I have come to the conclusion that MW is in over his head and probably not getting help from his HC.

This is the most likely scenario Dano, Tedford gets more involved to fix the Offence while Washington is allowed to continue his D sans Elimimian...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In his Talk with Tedford, he promised an aggressive defence focusing on turnovers. If what we are seeing is an aggressive defence, I hate to see what a prevent defence is like. Drop all 12 players into coverage ? I've yet to see the much ballyhooed H back. Special teams is a continuation of what we've been seeing under Chuck McMann. Much heralded Mark Washington is way over his head as Defensive Coordinator. He's been schooled by the other team's Offensive Coordinator every week. I agree with other posters that Tedford is severely handicapped by Buono's appointees. Until Tedford asserts himself and fire Washington and MCann and hire his own people, we will continue seeing the same thing. Fan support will continue to plummet. Buono has done enough damage, time for him to retire. (doubt this will happen though)
zeppo
Starter

TheLionKing wrote: Until Tedford asserts himself and fire Washington and MCann and hire his own people, we will continue seeing the same thing.
uhhh...Cortez is one of "his people". Given the the way the B.C. offence has performed so far this year, should he be getting a free pass in terms of job
evaluation?
The_Pauser
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:Well there is a bright side to all of this. Eventually, the level of play will force some kind of change. Last year we had Benevides, the year before Chapdelaine. The turnover is beginning and I don't think Tedford will be content to continue in this vein. With all the years of experience, he will either tell Wally to do something different (ie, give him control of the coaching decisions) or tell him to get someone different. Personnel on the field will change too. Those who don't perform will be gone.
Why do people think Wally still has any say in coaching decisions?
Roar you Lions roar!
Lloydaceace
prospect

Don't focus on Tedford. Think of this.

In 2011 we win a Grey Cup. Great.We're on the top. Then in 2012 we slip A BIT. Choke in the Western Final. But now watch what happens. In 2013 we slip to third and are bumped out in the Western Semi Final. In 2014 we drop to fourth, are lucky to get the Eastern Crossover and are blasted out by Montreal. This year....well you watched it on Saturday.

Meanwhile in stadium attendance drops to barely 20,000 from often over 30,000 just a couple of years ago.

The more serious problem the Lions have is OLD HEREDITARY MANAGEMENT. No other GM in any sports league would still be around after a 4 year skid like that. You can see it throughout their management with Wally's daughter working with the organization, Wally's assistant promoted to HC (Benevides). And how can a guy like Skulsky attract young e.g. teen/twentyish fans? Wrong image. But Braley can't seem to see it. Too close to management. Everything is the "old boys" network.

We need a fresh GM with an image of youth and who is closer to the current state of the game, not from the 60's or 70's. Hamilton did just that when they fired Cortez and others and redid management with performance judged guys like Austin et al. And now they are enjoying the benefits of it.

This mess will take at least 2 if not 3 years to straighten out, with good personnel decisions.

Rots of ruck with these guys.
JohnHenry
Champion

David wrote:Let me state from the outset that our problems run deeper than the HC. I'm not even sure if Hamilton's staff of Austin, Steinauer, Condell, and Reinebold could coax more wins out of this Lions team. But after 7 games, I fully expected to see more energy, passion, and innovation from this Tedford coached team.

They told us when he was hired that we were getting an offensive guru with a penchant for developing quarterbacks. That may still be the case. But some less than flattering facts are staring us in the face. His team lost both preseason games (often just flying around the football can get you one preseason win). We have only won 1 game so far that didn't come down to the final minute or OT. His receivers often don't seem that motivated to fight for the football. We're last in team defense in just about every statistical category. We blew a 21-0 lead to Toronto and came out completely lethargic and ill-prepared for a high flying Tiger-Cat team. Worse, I am not seeing a 'stamp' on this team (that seems content to run the same spread offense and doesn't play to Travis's strengths), and tangible in-game adjustments (more stunts and pressure on a Hamilton offense that basically abandoned their run game? How 'bout some slide protection against Hamilton's relentless pressure....or some screen passes??).

Tedford was packaged and positioned like we were privileged to have him; that this was well beneath his pay grade. That may be. But so far I'm just seeing a guy on the sidelines who resembles a hardened 20 year homicide detective surveying a crime scene.

DH :cool:
Great post, David! So far the coach seems closer to a Bart Andrus than a Marc Trestman...although having A. Cavillo at pivot rather than Cody Pickett will give you an advantage. I think the Lions have been handicapped by the release of several veteran players over the past couple seasons, some of whom were the best players on the team and not having adequate replacements in the pipeline. It's one thing to hope a college phenom can emerge or a Cal-alumni can resurrect his glory days, but that's a gamble. Tim Brown was a sure thing. Is that Tedford's fault? Maybe.

The main problem could lie with the offensive coaching. The schemes don't seem to mesh with the players we have. Travis seems frustrated and isn't playing with his usual verve. This goes beyond Travis' shoulder injury or his restructured contract which makes him a free agent who can sign with any team next season (although the offence did look better late in the game with a QB who could put some zip on the ball.) :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:Well there is a bright side to all of this. Eventually, the level of play will force some kind of change. Last year we had Benevides, the year before Chapdelaine. The turnover is beginning and I don't think Tedford will be content to continue in this vein. With all the years of experience, he will either tell Wally to do something different (ie, give him control of the coaching decisions) or tell him to get someone different. Personnel on the field will change too. Those who don't perform will be gone.
Why do people think Wally still has any say in coaching decisions?
Why after all these years of him being in charge of everything do you think he has nothing to say about it? Does it fit his profile? Do we not still have coaches on board from the previous regime? I suppose you could make the argument that Tedford made all the decisions but can you say that Wally didn't make suggestions or plead a case?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, I expected more.
I thought hiring Jeff Tedford based on where he had come from was a very astute move by Wally Buono especially after his Mike B hire. Good all around choice and you need a strong leader at the top to turn it around. I knew he didn't have the instant CFL smarts of a Kent Austin who had just flunked out as an Argo OC only to be hired astutely by Eric Tillman who knows too what it takes to win and got a guy who could lead both coaches and players.
1. Did I expect him to magically turn it around brilliantly and run the board?
No, as even Trestman took time to adjust and he's been gone a long, long time from the CFL and the coaching standards in the CFL today have never been higher in Austin, Milanovich, etc.
2. Did I expect him to focus better on team philosophy, direction to coaching staff and coaching them up and quickly instill a performance oriented culture with both individual and team collective accountability?
Yes as that is the role of HC and on this he is getting failing grades from me.

There is a lack of character and team leadership in the core of this team and he seems to be unaware. He should have been finding out from Paul Mc Kevin Glenn even before he signed - what went on in BC. He's got leaders like Harris who was one of the visible quitters last game sitting on the bench thinking who knows what. REC as a group. I'd trade the lot of them for any group in the CFL now as they have no fight, no desire, no character.

I'd have then not gutted the room of the Tim Browns unless he couldn't play which we know he can as there is something lacking in this team and it keeps showing up. It's about them as individuals. Travis too surely sees it and knows it.

No team game can be won (soccer or football) without a strong core group of top performers who are extensions of the coaching staff when it comes to accountability and the best HC's know that they too are accountable to the team for bad decisions and these top coaches 'fess up if they make a bad call and it not defensible and they commit to listen if it is a bad call rather than blindly execute a 3 and 4.
3. Was I surprised by anything based on what I knew of his background listening to him interview or his prior roles at university?
Yes. I didn't hear a clear, coherent philosophy of what he was going to establish in his team and it's not getting clearer as they muddle along.

The H back and up tempo was - well okay sounds interesting - but is this based on what his new OC was suggesting or was this something that he just thinks might be a good idea? I didn't feel then - nor do I see it yet - a clear difference in thinking from what Cortez has been known for.

I sort of thought it sounded like Tedford was suggesting he'd call the plays (which said to me this guy is nuts as he's not been in the CFL for years and how does he think he knows better than guys who know the opposing coaches, their tendencies and their players? I know that didn't happen but it was naive and a bad sign he doesn't grasp his role.

4. Was this a bad thing? Retaining his DC and ST coaches and K. Jones?

No as I felt there is a budget and it might be a problem but even if there is no budget some continuity is good and he's an experienced HC who can instil in the staff preseason exactly what he stands for, what he wants and how it wants things done.

But I am disappointed that he has not seemed to set the philosophy, tone and accountability culture and then let the coaches come to him with their schemes and thoughts. If he has it's been ignored and that's his job to get fixed immediately. His job is to ensure that the schemes etc that the coaches want to employ meet the right tests. He has failed a bit here although we're not 0 and 7. He is the coach of the coaches as a key role as HC. He then lets them coach but has overall direction and philosophy and monitoring. Austin/Milanovich style.

What Tedford should have done in keeping former coaches is hold accountability off season sessions where both O and D coaches must review the season's schemes and pick them apart. Might not be pleasant but force all to be honest as he was really new to the CFL. If the schemes are then accepted with no issues, then there'd be consequences for those not telling it like it is.

5. Was I surprised by his personnel decisions?
Yes.

Cutting guys like Logan and Brown without seeing them in action is surprising. Not sure why Marsh is such a pariah but I'd have been inclined to ask for him to come to TC (unless there is some HGH issue as some Lion on Twitter alleged IIRC. I trust I recall that right as I don't want to falsely accuse anyone of anything. )

Letting Bighill fall back into coverage? That's a bad high school coaching decision to try and get too much out of your best players. I'm shocked he lets that happen,

6. Were there any signs off season that this might not be a successful HC quickly?

Yes, when I was reading that the HC was personally teaching Travis Lulay how to fall etc I was horrified. You might direct your offensive staff to do that a certain way especially Khari Jones who has played QB in the league more recently than he has but if this is how you spend HC valuable time that's an Oh Oh for me.

7. What needs to happen?
First off Jeff Tedford needs to get back to his job - set the tone, accountability, etc.

He might first get a compilation of the TSN shot of his bench during the debacle so they can see in the mirror what it looks like to fans who pay to watch them play.

You won't create a motivating culture by focusing on the negatives but show that bit of video high-lites like holding the mirror up in front of each of their faces.

This looks to everyone fellows like you've quit. Quit on yourself, quit on your team mates, quit on this organization, its coaches and its fans. We get it - you're down. We've all been there but leadership is when there is adversity and it is unacceptable to the HCand this organization and our GM that players quit in a game.

Travis was hooked but he stood there and helped Beck out - if others too did - point them out. A HC expects no less than that in every game, on every down even if you're not in the play.

He then has to say, that he never wants to address the team like that and he won't as this is not going to happen as long as he is HC.

Then - and now comes the hard part - he has to tell them the things that will be focused on in this short week to be ready for the Als. Here he has to take some accountability as does the staff.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I expected an 8-10 or 9-9 record from this team, hopefully putting them in the hunt for the final playoff spot. So far they're on pace for that, so I can't say I was expecting more. Most pundits were more pessimistic, predicting the Lions would finish last. The dynasty years are over and it will take time to get back to that level. I have patience.

One area in which I am disappointed with Teford is the offence. It started well. In the second game of the season, Lulay threw for 404 yards against Saskatchewan, but things have since dried up. Lulay has had only one 200-yard game since. I don't expect Teford to overhaul the defence this year but he should be capable of fixing the passing game.