Were you expecting more from Tedford?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I was very positive about the Tedford hiring. Quite frankly, I'm very surprised right now, not as much with our record but other things.

But quite frankly, while Tedford has to wear our Leos play so far this year, I see a bigger problem.

1. THE BUONO FACTOR

This will take some history. Buono is a Hall of Famer but he was also very fortunate as a Head Coach, in that, in Calgary, he had a big budget (one of many examples is Calgary was able to give Flutie a huge contract to steal him away from B. C., he had Roy Shivers in his prime bringing in tremendous talent, and he had Hufnagel/Tedford creating an offensive scheme that remained way ahead of CFL defenses for many seasons. When Buono came to B.C. he had Bobby Ackles providing leadership, he had Ackles and O'Billovich bringing in talent, (eg: Ackles signed Dickenson and used his NFL contacts to bring in excellent talent and Obie was an excellent personell guy. Buono also had very good assistant coaching staffs. For example, Dave Ritchie was a crucial piece of our success in the early Buono era here in B.C.

But Buono is also a person who can really screw things up and that is not just based on his history of bad game call decisions. The list is almost endless but some of those screw ups include, In 2004, with Printers having his MOP season, he installed Chapdelaine, who was our receivers coach at the time, as the guy who would call the plays down on the sideline while he parked Burratto up in the spotters booth. This took place 2/3 of the way through that season. Burratto was doing a great job with the offence and Printers and Burratto had an excellent rapport.

In 2005, Buono really screwed up the quarterback situation. Printers mostly took the blame but it was Buono who created the situation by creating the competition at training camp, then not naming his starting quarterback until game day, and then having Dickenson and Printers compete again for the job before the playoff game. Then Buono attempted to sign Printers to a big new cotnract, as his starting quarterback and Dickenson was so pissed we were fortunate Dickenson didn't ask to be traded.

But after Ackles passed, Ritchie retired, and Obie went on to Hamilton Buono was at the helm alone and that was problematic. Chap had left for Calgary, knowing Benevedes was Wally's 'boy" but Buono brought him back as receivers coach, due to the lobbying of Leos receivers led by Simon and that's when the coaching CRAZINESS got really bad and still exists to this day.

In 2007, Buono created the dual co-coordinators postion, with Kruck calling the plays and Dorazio designing the running scheme (Dorazio designed the running game right up to the end of 2014, even though Chap and Khari Jones last year took the flak for it when it wasnt' working - Buono ran the short yardage unit up until 2011, dismally, and ensured Chap took the flak for it too). Dorazio was our offensive coordinator in 2008 while Chap called the plays from the spotters booth. In 2009 Dorazio and Chap were co-offensive coordinators, with Chap calling the plays and in 2010 Chap became the offensive coordianator with Dorazio sheming the running game.

With Wally running the show from 2008-2010 our Leos team got worse and worse. With Benevedes running the defense, and with a confusing coaching situation offensively, and with Buono constantly chaning his mind as to who he wanted to be our starting quarterback from 2008 on, including signing Printers to be our starter, our Leos had deteriorated to the point that we began the 2011 season losing and losing. With fans and media calling for Wally's head, suddenly our schemes changed. Desperate, Wally allowed his assistants more breathing room. Chapdelaine was allowed to get out of the old Calgary spread offence and create his own offensive Suddenly we had the multiple formation, misdirection, motion offence of JaquesBall and on defense, where we had loads of talent, Benevedes was allowed to blitz and also use a rotation on the defensive line. Lulay thrived as soon as the offence changed, our defense became very solid and the next thing we can't stop winning, all the way to a Grey Cup victory.

Buono retires (wisely). Of course he screws up the Head Coaching situation by naming Benevedes as Head Coach. However, this is a Leos team in 2012 with talent. Benevedes also has Chap running the CFL's best offence in 2012 and he has hired Stubler as DC. Stubler's defense in 2012 becomes the best Leos defense of all time setting multiple records. But the Benevedes factor begins to take its toll. In 2013, Lulay begins the season with a shoulder injury and Dorazio can't open a hole for the running game and he can't get his offensive line to pass block either. Lulay get's hurt, the defense hangs us in there for most of the season while rookie DeMarco and then Buck Pierce take over the offence before handing it back to Lulay for the playoff game against the Riders. In the meantime, Dorazio changes the blocking scheme and suddenly we're rushing for over 200 yards per game for our last three games, including the playoff game.

So, obviously the major problem was Dorazio's running attack and lack of pass blocking. So what do we do - we jettison Chapdelaine, who had enough anyway and keep Dorazio. Stubler, who had the best defense in the CFL in 2012 and the second best defense in 2013 is also jettisoned, all because Durrant went to Cortez in the 4th quarter and said lets run some quarterback draws with Eliminian out.

Benevdes and Dorazio are spared blame while Stubler and Chap become the scapegoats. But with Washington hired as DC and Kharil Jones hired as the OC. Voila, we`re back in the spread offence and the passive zone defense. What should have been obvious became obvious. Benevedes was the problem, Dorazio was a problem.

With Khari Jones as our new OC, Glenn was blamed as the problem on offence but all you have to look at is how well he played in Chap`s scheme in Saskatchewn this season before getting hurt and its obvious scheme was a problem in 2014. Scheme was a problem on defense in 2014 as well, as Washingtons defense got worse and worse the longer they were away from the memory of Stubler.

Wally has no choice but to let Benevedes go at the end of last season and he gets fortunate that a guy with Tedford`s background is available. Tedford says he wants to run an HBack style of offence and an aggressive pressure defense. I`m excited!!! So why are we back in the favorite offensive and defensive schemes of Buono. Why are we back in the spread offence on offence and an even more passive zone defense than ever on defense. Those are intriguing questions. Something doesn`t make sense.

Tedford has run too many offences to be doing this. He watched a ton of game film in the off-season and wanted to get out of the spread and we are stuck in it more than we've ever been. Tedford didnt' go out and recruit tight ends as slot backs and this is not the system he promised. It's baffling to say the least.

THE DISCOMBOBULATED FACTOR

To me, there are two forces at play with our Leos season so far. They are the `Buono Way`` and the ``Tedford Way`` and the Buono way has won or at least so far Buono`s influence is greater.

On offence, Tedford had run a pro offence in California. He publically said he would run an HBack offence. He also said he wanted to develop quarterbacks for the future.

When Tedford hired Cortez as OC, I had two thoughts. One was that Cortez, who was Wally`s OC in Calgary after Hufnagel, was a spread offence disciple. He is a pocket passing, no motion, boring offensive coordinator. But he had run a pro offence in California while working under Tedford and they had enjoyed success with that scheme. So when Tedford said that he would run an H Back offence I assumed that Tedford would be directing Cortez to get out of the spread and install a pro style offence with an H Back. Tedford got rid of Dorazio. Tedford recruited H Back style tight ends to training camp. I never could imagine that we would be back in the old Calgary offence that our Lions ran from 2005-2010 and Khari Jones ran in 2014.

I was worried, when Tedford kept Washington as DC as well as Khari Jones, who was moved to our receivers coach. I was also worried that we kept McMann and said good bye to Kelly Bates. But Tedford said he wanted an aggressive defense and I believed that would be the direction that he gave to Washington.

So, the fact that we are not only in a Buono style spread offence but also a pure Buono style of passive zone defense under Tedford is shocking.

To me, this isn`t Tedford`s team. Its Buono`s team. It`s Buono`s offence and Buono`s defense and its the most passive defense we`ve ever had.

THE PERSONELL FACTOR

One of the ways to see the `Buono Way`and the `Tedford Way` operating in full force was in the area of personell. In this area, I believe Tedford asserted hiself. Buono signed Kito Poblah to a new contract and Poblah never saw training camp. Tedford pined Wally favorite Mark Iannuzzi. Buono said we would start four NATIONALS on the offensive line and Tedford went with three imports, even though Buono had signed Norman to a new contract valued as a starting center and he had signed Valli to a contract as a starting guard.

Buono said we would move Westerman outside to defensive end and that certainly happened. But overall, with some lousy off-season work in terms of not bringing in a pass rushing defensive end and a stud nose tackle, our defense is handicapped with a rookie in Roh who has never played defensive tackle and who is undersized and Westerman languishing at defensive end.

Wally had no plans to sign Stephan Logan again. Tedford decided to go younger with a returner. But Tillman nor Antolin have got it done. Lawrence for some reason has not been used as a punt returner. Iannuzzi has looked the best of a poor bunch.

Teford inherited a huge hole on the defensive line. We had an aging Smith, an undersized Bazzie, and no incumbent defensive tackles to begin the season But overall, it would seem that Tedford has been the guy, in terms of most personnel decisions. He has also been stuck with a lack of good personnel in some key positions.

But I am absolutely astounded that Tedford is going with a 34 year old plus John Beck as our backup. If there was one change I thought Tedford would make was to begin to develop THE NEXT ONE as a backup quarterback. Nope....for some unknown reason a coach with a rep as a quarterback developer is developing an old backup quarterback....FOR WHAT...I have no idea because Beck is not the future.

THE FREE AGENT FACTOR

There are three ways that teams improve, in terms of personell - signing new imports, the CFL draft, and free agency. We let Kelly Bates go and he was the only guy who had done a great job with the draft. His absence had an impact at the draft table this year.

But another huge problem is our inability to sign quality free agents. Wally does not have a good rep in this area. Its not that Buono lets vet players go but how he does it. Simon, Banks, and Marsh were recent sour endings. Wally will attempt to screw a vet on his contract and try to get him cheap or let him go. Wally has a rep that he is manipulative and devious. Now Wally cant even sign free agents to come to B.C. even if he offers them more money.

WRAP

We are in the place that we are right now, with still too many Wally boys on the coaching staff and I simply cannot see Wally not having influence with them. When Wally is the guy who still fines players for dead ball fouls the Heac Coach is not in charge.

Until Tedford can have an entire coaching staff of his choosing I will not see Tedford in control of this team. Until Buono is gone, I cannot see Tedford running the complete show on the field. Until Buono is gone, he will interfere with assistant coaching decisions, just as he did when Wally, not Benevedes fired Stubler and Chap and he has a history of really screwing up now for a long time in this area.

Something is not right when Tedford comes in and says he wants to run a certain offensive system and a certain defensive system and what we see is Buono football from the days of old in Calgary. Something does not make sense. This does not make sense.

Ill reserve my judgment of Tedford until the time comes whan I really feel that he has control of this B.C. Lions team.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Shuffling chairs, methinks, on the Titanic, no, the Good Ship Leo.

As suggested on here, 12 Man Deep Zone. Maybe the league will allow us to use Steamboats as a pass rush.

Are things that bad with Solly out? Yeah. Pretty bad. The Old Lion, Wally, is defiant and snarly, though. Will that save the day?

Just thinking a bit ... In 2013, how long did it take Kent Austin to get his new team into the playoffs? Oh, they made the Grey Cup? Still building in 2014? Oh, they made the Cup again? Must be lucky. And they have all those fantastic players. No weaknesses according to Wally. 2015? The flagship of the league is being said in the media. No rebuilding period? Pretty much from scratch on the fly.

I like the 12 deep zone WCJ......you can really make those seams in the zone very narrow with that defence :wink:
What really drives me crazy is that we are using Beck again as our backup, rather than develop a young quarterback. What a waste of reps.

Experience can be over-rated at quarterback. We need to develop 'the next one' and Beck is not the next one. Jennings should have been getting reps against Hamilton and not an aging quarterback who is not our future.

Casey Printers became an MOP, in his first season as a starter, with only 4 reps under his belt. Jarious Jackson helped our Leos win 9 our of our last 11 games of the 2007 season and a first place finish in the West and he had never started a game before that winning season. Ricky Ray, stepped in as a raw rookie for Edmonton and had an excellent first season as a starter. Zack Collaros took Hamilton to the Grey Cup game in his first full season as a starter in Hamilton last year.

We`re wasting practice reps and game reps on Beck when we need to be thinking in a completely different way in terms of quarterback development.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not a fan of old school Cortez, not his personality or his schemes but I thought the Tedford influence and the H-Back pro style O might make a difference.

So why is is Cortez and his O the same old same old? I think Tedford is not yet up to speed on the modern CFL game and he is relying heavily on Cortez and Washington to run things. The problem is that Cortez isn't up to speed on the modern CFL either and other team's D are finding it easy to stop the Lions O. On D, Washington is simply in over his head and not ready to be a DC.

I too am disappointed in a lack of development of young QBs and I am very concerned with the Lions insistence on playing BOTH Westerman and Loh out of position. It makes no sense and I can't stomach the incompetent decision making behind it. While Tedford is ultimately responsible for making this decision, I would like to know which coach came up with this Dline mess and is promoting this stupidity. It would be wise for Westerman, as soon as his contract runs out, to sign with Bombers to play DT on the same D line with his DE brother.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I am not a fan of old school Cortez, not his personality or his schemes but I thought the Tedford influence and the H-Back pro style O might make a difference.

So why is is Cortez and his O the same old same old? I think Tedford is not yet up to speed on the modern CFL game and he is relying heavily on Cortez and Washington to run things. The problem is that Cortez isn't up to speed on the modern CFL either and other team's D are finding it easy to stop the Lions O. On D, Washington is simply in over his head and not ready to be a DC.

I too am disappointed in a lack of development of young QBs and I am very concerned with the Lions insistence on playing BOTH Westerman and Loh out of position. It makes no sense and I can't stomach the incompetent decision making behind it. While Tedford is ultimately responsible for making this decision, I would like to know which coach came up with this Dline mess and is promoting this stupidity. It would be wise for Westerman, as soon as his contract runs out, to sign with Bombers to play DT on the same D line with his DE brother.
:good:

You`ve hit the nail on the head Dano!! The Bombers Jamal Westerman is tied for second for the lead league in quarterback sacks. We should have gotten him signed here. He was a ratio breaker as well. With both Westerman brothers lined up side by side at tackle and defensive end, we would be getting a much better pass rush and better run defense as well. Jamal Westerman has more sacks in Winnipeg that our entire defensive line. Roh would be getting more sacks outside and he leads us in sacks anyway.

In terms of quarterbacking, Travis Lulay has the worst quarterback efficiency average except for Matt Nichols, who was not Edmonton`s starter. A poor scheme only adds to Lulay`s inconsistent passing.

Its interesting to see the quarterbacks who are leading the CFL in quarterback efficiency. They are Trevor Harris, Drew Willy, Kevin Glenn (injured) and Zack Collaros. Only Glenn has a lot of experience. Harris is a first year starter and Willy and Collaros are only in their second seasons as starters.

Looking back in time, there have been many quarterbacks who experienced success early in their careers from Dave Dickenson, Casey Printers, Ricky Ray, and here in B.C. we had Casey Printers (MOP in his first year as a starter) and Travis Lulay in his first full year as a starter won the MOP award.

Time for us to start thinking about Jennings getting reps and not Beck.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sadly I have come to the same conclusion as Blitz. He makes a compelling argument.
InUrFace
Rookie

I have been quiet for the last part of last season and have said nothing or commented on any ones posts. I was called a troll for attacking Wally and MB and Chap 2 seasons ago and I said to you all. I will be right in the end. So far all Ive seen and heard from you is what Ive been saying for years. Yet you called me a troll and a bandwagon fan.

Well as you see now I was right in all aspects. Still one major thing remains and needs to be done. Wally needs to step down or be fired or even better run him out of this city. He has been the rout of the problem the cancer to this organization for years and this will continue until he is gone. Doesnt matter what coaching staff you bring in. He will be the puppet master pulling their strings on the side lines and in camp. The thing with Wally the game has passed him years ago but he is stubborn for change. Cause in his eyes he will feel like he was wrong. Still he makes excuses and after hearing him yesterday on 1040 I have had enough. He attacks Matt on the radio when he was trying to get answers and making great observations about the team. Yet Wally being Wally shuts him down. Godfather Wally. Probably after showing him film will pay Matt off to get nice on the radio. lol
Feels like Wally doesnt want to let go of the game from the sidelines. Even though hes not physically there his mental presence is. Which wont allow the HC OC DC to be them selves and run what and how they want to run things. Period. So in other words Wally needs to go! We as hard core fans have to do something about it.
Attendance at games must go down so David B will wake up. No fans no Money = No wally! Hate to say it but its the only way to get the change we want. We need new blood and Simon isnt it. lol We need to get rid of all Wallys loyalists and clean the smell of Wally from the locker room and field. Its time. Another season of this cant happen. If I was Jeff I would step up to Wally and saying my way or good luck. This is not Jeff Im seeing as Blitz mentioned where is everything that was talked about with offense and Defense. Its not to be seen into action. This is still Wallys team. Not Jeffs :bang:
Blitz
Team Captain

This is still Wallys team. Not Jeffs :bang: InUrFace
I couldn`t agree more.
Sadly I have come to the same conclusion as Blitz. He makes a compelling argument.TheLionKing Hall of Famer
I

t is sad TheLionKing. As someone who was brought in by Wally to watch tape and be not convinced of the spin he was giving you at the time I highly respect your thoughts. You are not easily swayed and look for proof.

I don`t buy into the notion that Tedford has deferred to Cortez in terms of running the offence this season, not being up to speed on the Canadian game. First of all Tedford knows the Canadian game but needed to see what changes defenses had made since he left down south. Tedford is a confident guy who knows offensive schemes - he ran everything from a PRO OFFENCE to the spread to West Coast in California. His best seasons were using the PRO OFFENCE.

Secondly, Tedford watched a lot of tape and had no trouble determining what offensive personnel were not getting it done - he quickly decided that Norman was not going to get it done at center and not having another National who could step in immediately at center. Tedford established decisively that we would go with three imports on the offensive line even though Wally had said we would start 4 Nationals on the offensive line and had signed two new contracts with Norman and Valli with salaries that made them starters. Tedford got rid of Poblah before he hit training camp, even though Wally had signed him up again. That is a certain amount of confidence.

But most importantly, Tedford looked at our offence last season, the way defences are playing these days, and determined that we would go with an H Back Pro Style offence. He made that statement publically and he recruited tight ends to play in that style of offence.

If Tedford had wanted to use a spread offence he would have said so and he would not have recruited tight ends with an H Back style.

So why we are in the spread, when Tedford stated that we would use a different offence, with an H Back is baffling. If Tedford had wanted to defer to Cortez, he would have let Cortez implement his scheme and Tedford would not have stated that he would use a Pro Style H Back offence.

My excitement about Tedford was that 1) he had been innovative and used different styles of offences in his past 2) he was considered an outstanding quarterback developer and 3) he was getting us out of the spread offence.

We were in the spread offence from 2005-to part way through 2011. It was more than past its due date. It was predictable and boring. Chap got us out of the old Calgary offence part way through 2011 until he left in 2013. I loved that new misdirection and motion offensive scheme that was a combination of the Pro Style Offence, Spread offence, and West Coast offence. It won us a Grey Cup in 2011 and it was the best offence in the CFL in 2013. If Dorazio could have done a better job of run blocking and pass blocking, it would have been so much better. You only have to look at how good Chaps offence has been in Saskatchewan this season, with Glenn at the controls and now a rookie quarterback. He still has Dorazio there as his line coach but Dorazio does not have the same power in Riderville - he is the offensive line coach and does not design the running game. The Riders lead the CFL in average yds per run and are tops in passing and total offence so far.

Khari Jones put us back in the spread last season and Cortez has us really stuck into the spread with even less motion and using a tight end splt out wide. Its stupid.

Kent Austin, a pass oriented coach had his TiCats in more double tights than we did last game.

So why Tedford has us in the old Calgary spread offence is mystifying. Its almost like Cortez is Wally`s offensive coordinator and not Tedford`s.

Tedford looked at the game tape and said we needed to get more pressure and be more aggressive on defense. Once again, it appears that Washington is coordinating the defense for Wally and not Tedford in that we are in a Wally style defense that is even more passive than last season.

Something doesn`t gel. Tedford knows his football better than this.
Dusty
Champion

Yes, I was hoping for "more" from Tedford, but I think that "more" takes time. It takes time to bring about the amount of changes that are required to put our Lions on a competitive or above mediacre level. Part of it is the coaches that are brought in versus the ones that are kept to provide some form of "continuity"... an attempt which usually does not end well.... another part of it is new personnel, and that does take time to find the right people who can deliver. and most importantly.....part of it just takes some time.

We look at Zach Collaris and Trevor Harris.... both youthful QB's who are having success and say why not us? But both those players have been in the league since 2012... playing behind Ricky Ray in TO.... 2 years as understudy for Collaris and 3 years for Harris even though he is a "rookie" this year. Fact is, Toronto had to choose between Harris and Collaris and chose Harris, and kept him as backup for another year before he was needed this year. These things take time...

Sure, Beck is not the future, but he is the immediate replacement should Lulay go down, and Beck has not had many reps this year. Better to get him warmed up so he is more ready to come in if needed. I'm less fussed about not having Jennings in the Hamilton game than the length of time that it took to pull Travis from the game. Sure, it's hard to pull your #1, but if things do not go well early in the Montreal game, the boo's will be coming from the stands..... I'll bet its a lot more demoralizing to a QB if there are cheers when your replacement is introduced as being on the field. Better to have the QB take a rest and re-enter the game if the replacement is having the same level of futility... but I digress....

As I said, right now we have Jennings as our "future" and McGhee on the PR. We can expect them to be ready in 2 years..... if they are as quick study's as Collaris and Harris........ it takes time....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Tedford got rid of Poblah before he hit training camp, even though Wally had signed him up again. That is a certain amount of confidence.
The fact that Poblah is no longer in football proves that Tedford was right in releasing him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Tedford got rid of Poblah before he hit training camp, even though Wally had signed him up again. That is a certain amount of confidence.
The fact that Poblah is no longer in football proves that Tedford was right in releasing him.
I don't think that necessarily proves anything as every team has their situation to deal with and there's only 8 other teams to decide when a guy gets released. I bet Dante Marsh, Antonio Warren, etc could all have kept playing. Brown and Logan could have been toast as could Nik Lewis but they're doing okay.

Getting rid of Brown, Logan - both doing well were strange but clearly good for them as both are in good situations now and that is on the HC. I think Wally credited him for the draft selection of what is not a decent project.

I think everyone wailing on Wally for the wayward coaching decisions especially now that the bullets are flying is looking in all the wrong places for the issues.

This is a LEADERSHIP ISSUE and it is squarely at the feet of the HC who showed off season that he'd rather help Travis Lulay learn to fall than be HC.

Blame Wally for the talent coming in the door or not finding the talent and here we might have a fair comment or two. Blame Wally for the left over coaching staff too.

BUT if someone comes in as a new HC or executive and you've inherited people who you don't know much about you have to your job:

1. You find out their vision, philosophy, plans the prior season and their views on problems and prospects and personnel going forward.

2. You do a full assessment after listening, learning and speaking to people inside and outside your organization including players that have been here.

3. You sit down with each of the staff individually and collectively and lay out your philosophy, expectations and vision and accountability. You get their buy-in or they have a choice to make.

Now I'm not an insider but was this all done vs teaching Travis to fall?

I don't believe Wally is whispering to George Cortez - don't use the H back - remember what we used to run back in 1884 - let's do that.

And if WB is doing all these bad things and pulling the strings on the coaches then the HC has to man up and tell him to get lost.

But I am wondering if Tedford is really into this challenge and if he's got the stamina, stomach and desire to do this job.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Lots of unsubstantiated assumptions being made about Tedford, Cortez, and Wally and who is responsible for what. To me, the spread vs pro debate is also overblown. To my knowledge, spread formations are pretty widespread everywhere and offenses use elements from various approaches throughout a game. However, I am no expert on this, and don't have time to break down the tape. But from what I read and understand, it's not either/or. It's some of this/some of that.

What I see this year compared to last is:

1. Better protection of QB.
2. Better running lanes and more emphasis on the run.
3. More balanced use of all receivers.

Overall, I feel good about our offense. I just don't see Lulay making the passes. He's got all the intangibles, but his ability to pass isn't good enough. Glenn in this year's system would be throwing for 400 yards a game in my opinion.

Lots of changes were made this year. Austin's teams stumbled plenty prior to this year too.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy, I think you're a bit harsh on Tedford for teaching Lulay how to fall. It's all part and parcel of keeping Lulay upright and playing as opposed to having Lulay on the sidelines injured.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Toppy, I think you're a bit harsh on Tedford for teaching Lulay how to fall. It's all part and parcel of keeping Lulay upright and playing as opposed to having Lulay on the sidelines injured.

^^Agreed. Teaching Lulay how to slide and how to better protect his shoulder shouldn't prevent Tedford from other HC responsibilities, in fact Tedford working with QBs on whatever they need to improve their game is part of the "QB Guru " thing isn't it? So it should be expected.
David
Team Captain

In Tedford's defense, and I know this hasn't always translated to actual games, but practices are the crispest, best organized I witnessed in years. Lots of hustle, instruction, and yes, Tedford actively involved in some of the drills. His sliding drill for the QBs, while unorthodox, has played a key role in keeping Travis injury free thus far (knock on wood).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:In Tedford's defense, and I know this hasn't always translated to actual games, but practices are the crispest, best organized I witnessed in years. Lots of hustle, instruction, and yes, Tedford actively involved in some of the drills. His sliding drill for the QBs, while unorthodox, has played a key role in keeping Travis injury free thus far (knock on wood).

DH :cool:
I know Toppy has been somewhat critical of the safety drills for Lulay. Personally I applaud them. How are you going to get a Lulay or Pierce to slide unless you drill it? Tell them? Not enough. Make it part of what you practice.

I coached softball at one time. We practiced everything. Fielding hot grounders with backs against a wire fence. That was fun. Going back deep for over the shoulder catches in the outfield. Run downs on the bases. That was fun. And all the usual stuff.

If you don't practice it, they won't do it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.