Were you expecting more from Tedford?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Wally is the Teflon man.

And Wally is the one most responsible for the mess the Lions football team is in. His fingerprints are all over everything.

Tedford seems to allow his OC and DC to run their own units.

Tedford must have deferred in the CFL draft. How could he assume to have the final say in drafting National players? That has to be on Wally and Neil and their personnel staff.

Tedford is the one most responsible for the product on the field. But he is saddled with holdovers on the Lions staff and with players.

How will this mess sort itself out? Ultimately it will come down to wins and losses, and the turnstile at the stadium.

The longer Wally stays, the more he tarnishes his legacy. And of course Wally can stay as long as he wants.

He is the Teflon man with a lifetime contract from David Braley.

Finally someone steps forward to speak the truth...

Well done brave soul!

If I had said this after the 2013 season I would have been accused of having a personal agenda against Wally.

But ultimately now the gauntlet is hurled down!

The question is will anything change in Wally World?
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
David wrote:In Tedford's defense, and I know this hasn't always translated to actual games, but practices are the crispest, best organized I witnessed in years. Lots of hustle, instruction, and yes, Tedford actively involved in some of the drills. His sliding drill for the QBs, while unorthodox, has played a key role in keeping Travis injury free thus far (knock on wood).

Interesting comment on the practices as you are right - it doesn't seem to make it to the games. It sure isn't showing in new OFF or DEF alignments. The great news is the best play in years of the OL versus other years. Milanovich asked his ex-DC how he has time in practice to get some many different schemes in place - that was just the week before the Argos lost to the Ticats.

The HC has to delegate this sliding business and focus on the HC role especially when he's new. Look at how he cut both Brown and Logan without a TC down played. Now look at the mess the kick return.

I fully agree to practice all the aspects in the game including the last minute kick return plays with a lot of laterals.

___

Tedford Tuesday with Rintoul and the HC was interesting and then reading the player comments to LU.

Is it just me or is there a disconnect here? SOME players seem to be suggesting that there's not the intensity in this team to win a 60 min game. They said it wasn't present in practice pre-Hamilton. BUT and this is key as the HC sets the tone or lets it be set by the players which in this case sounds not right.
The HC is happy with the intensity.
He's just putting it all down to 'that's not us' and 'don't let 1 game beat you twice' and its a few breakdowns. This is fine but how many games of 'that's not us' does it take to light a fuse and generate some concern.

I subscribe to the theory that win or lose, stomp or get stomped that are a few critical lessons to be learned and if you and your team don't get the right few then it's going to be trouble NEXT game. It's never leave it all behind - its build on the strengths, fix the short comings and adjust for your opponent as you know what they do.

HC says he is looking forward to watch them play as they are "inspired", "ready to play" and "focused". He might want to read LU's story and see if he his team entirely agrees.

Their body language on the bench showed a vastly different story to me.

He is good at describing other teams D's - I'd have been tempted to ask him to describe the BC Lions and then assess the gap. If the D line is great then why not pull off some Ham or Esk tricks to make REC and blockers think twice before executing their assignments?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Tedford's Coaching Staff: Jeff Tedford: first coaching job was under Buono in Calgary. Former HC at California and OC at Tampa Bay

DC: Mark Washington: Played for Buono and hired by Buono, after Buono, not Benevedes gave Stubler the axe
OC: George Cortez: Offensive line coach in Calgary under Buono, then took over as OC from Hufnagel in Calgary and ran same spread offensive philosophy. Hired and fired by Tedford in California, fired as HC of Hamilton and OC in Regina, hired by either Buono or Tedford or both here in B.C.
Offensive Line Coach: Dan Malone: came with George Cortez this season. No previous association with Buono but worked under Cortez
Receivers Coach: Khari Jones: hired by Buono/Benevedes as OC in 2014.
Linebackers Coach: Johnny Holland: Hired by Buono/Benevedes in 2014
Robin Ross: Defensive Line. worked alongside Tedford at Oregon, Linebacker Coach of Oakland Raiders, Head Coach at Western Washington, hired by Tedford
Assistant Defensive Backs Coach: Fields. Hired out of Simon Fraser - does not appear to be a Tedford hiring
Special Teams and Running Backs Coach: Chuck McMann. Hired by Buono in Calgary and hired by Buono in B.C.

When you look at Tedford's coaching staff all of them have either coached under Buono or been hired by Buono, with the exceptions of Dan Malone, who worked under Cortez and came as a package with Cortez and Robin Ross.

The only coach that Tedford has really hired is Robin Ross. This is still a Wally coaching staff and Tedford himself was first hired by Wally in Calgary.

Most of the players have been signed and coached by Buono or Benevedes or both.

We wanted change. Instead we've still got a Buono influenced coaching staff much more than a Tedford coaching staff. Until that changes, this is still Wally's team from top to bottom.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:Tedford's Coaching Staff: Jeff Tedford: first coaching job was under Buono in Calgary. Former HC at California and OC at Tampa Bay

DC: Mark Washington: Played for Buono and hired by Buono, after Buono, not Benevedes gave Stubler the axe
OC: George Cortez: Offensive line coach in Calgary under Buono, then took over as OC from Hufnagel in Calgary and ran same spread offensive philosophy. Hired and fired by Tedford in California, fired as HC of Hamilton and OC in Regina, hired by either Buono or Tedford or both here in B.C.
Offensive Line Coach: Dan Malone: came with George Cortez this season. No previous association with Buono but worked under Cortez
Receivers Coach: Khari Jones: hired by Buono/Benevedes as OC in 2014.
Linebackers Coach: Johnny Holland: Hired by Buono/Benevedes in 2014
Robin Ross: Defensive Line. worked alongside Tedford at Oregon, Linebacker Coach of Oakland Raiders, Head Coach at Western Washington, hired by Tedford
Assistant Defensive Backs Coach: Hired out of Simon Fraser - does not appear to be a Tedford hiring
Special Teams and Running Backs Coach: Chuck McMann. Hired by Buono in Calgary and hired by Buono in B.C.

When you look at Tedford's coaching staff all of them have either coached under Buono or been hired by Buono, with the exceptions of Dan Malone, who worked under Cortez and came as a package with Cortez and Robin Ross.

The only coach that Tedford has really hired is Robin Ross. This is still a Wally coaching staff and Tedford himself was first hired by Wally in Calgary.

Most of the players have been signed and coached by Buono or Benevedes or both.

We wanted change. Instead we've still got a Buono influenced coaching staff much more than a Tedford coaching staff. Until that changes, this is still Wally's team from top to bottom.

Yep!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

What I was expecting from Tedford was a different offence than the terrible spread offence of Khari Jones the year previous, as well as other spread offences of the past.

There is a thread on Stukes Chalk Talk, that I wrote a number of years ago on the spread offence titled The Spread Offence is Almost Dead. A number of Lionbackers who have an excellent knowledge of offensive strategy wrote comments on the topic that are definitely worth a read.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)