Ti-Cats 52 - Lions 22 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:[http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/28/cf ... hree-years

Now, thanks to the TV deal, teams are starting off each year in the black and have a much better chance to turn a profit.
The previous deal was estimated to be between $30 and $36 million annually league-wide, so between $3 and $4 million per team, and the public financial statements we have seen from teams like Edmonton and Winnipeg appear to support that (especially if you factor in that some of the revenue has reportedly been kept for the league office).
Essentially, negotiating this extension at this point rather than closer to 2018 provides the CFL with some long-term stability and security. It also could be a useful hedge against declining ratings or a potential advertising bubble. The league will be under less immediate pressure to draw big numbers of viewers now, and if there's some major crash in the value of TV sports rights, the CFL won't be hurt by it until at least 2022. Moreover, this gives TSN yet more incentive (and they already had plenty) to work to promote the CFL and make it a pillar of their own long-term strategy
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 45456.html
Seems to be a bit of a false economy in the part about starting in the black. True the team portions of the deal effectively cover player salaries. However player salaries account for only 25% of each team's overall costs. Teams typically operate on a budget of around $18 million.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

While a lethargy was pervasive throughout the club (humidity? Really? Wasn't that a normal "June" day for most of our guys from down South?), I have to assign most of the blame - let me stress, for the first time this year - to the O-line. Our interior was blown up. Landing on the quarterback's lap. Our guards were turnstiled. Draheim probably was nowhere near ready to go on that ankle. Thank God we had a mobile quarterback or the sack total (4) could have been much worse. I don't think they were adequately prepared for Hamilton's stunts and pressure. I wonder if they now regret not practicing on the Monday??

Really like what I saw in Beck. Great poise (loved the QB draw), thought he saw the field really well, and has a lightning fast release with a lot of 'zip' on the ball. I could almost see the receivers "come alive" when he was put in there. While I don't know how many subs Hamilton had in there when he entered the game (if any), I do know they weren't letting up. Nice to know we have a solid back-up if Lulay sputters or goes down.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:Offence ... Missing in action. Is this the design of Cortez or Tedford? Running game can be solid. Passing game MIA. No doubt some of that is on Travis Lulay misfiring. Passing game showed signs of productivity earlier this year.

Defence ... Seems like a system designed in a dream world. Vacate the middle. New concept. OCs around the league smack and rub their hands in anticipation.

STs ... Not special.

Personnel work. In a very deep draft year, we draft a project. On some kind of a whim? Dunno ... Plus two guys who might never play a down in the CFL. There seems to be some shaky decision making going on in the personnel department. Valued veterans leaving on harsh terms. Free agents unwilling to take more money to play here. Other valued veterans inadequately replaced. One wonders how far we are under the salary cap. No reward for leading the league in undershooting the salary cap. Going on the cheap to Hamilton a day later than usual? Not good signs if one is looking to see the former flagship of the league.

Now we hear that formerly woebegone Hamilton is the flagship of the league. Times change. Some adapt. Some don't. Some seem the have their heads in the sand. Bob Young seems to live and breathe with his team. David Braley seems like an absentee owner, which is pretty much what he is. He is not taking care of the product. He has farmed it out. It is the domain of Wally Buono.
What Braley did with the Argos is cut spending to a minimum to make the bottom line operating cost as low and therefore as attractive as he can for the new owners. It would seem that he is taking a similar route with the Lions as it is expected that he will sell the team withing the next couple of years.

If Braley does sell the team 2 years from now, then the new owner will have the choice of resigning the GM and HC or not, as their contracts would have expired.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Really like what I saw in Beck. Great poise (loved the QB draw), thought he saw the field really well, and has a lightning fast release with a lot of 'zip' on the ball. I could almost see the receivers "come alive" when he was put in there. While I don't know how many subs Hamilton had in there when he entered the game (if any), I do know they weren't letting up. Nice to know we have a solid back-up if Lulay sputters or goes down.
Glad to hear that about Beck, David. As noted I missed the game. But I thought Beck showed OK last year for us. We expect him to have a good arm. And we are pleased to hear that he showed poise in the pocket.

After the debacle in Hamilton, and with the low expectations expressed by many towards Beck, your praise of him almost sounds like a spoof. LOL

Give him some more reps. At the very least it might take some of the pressure off Lulay, who, IMO, even shows his stress level in his video interviews. He seems to be carrying a great weight, and that would be understandable in his circumstances.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Offence ... Missing in action. Is this the design of Cortez or Tedford? Running game can be solid. Passing game MIA. No doubt some of that is on Travis Lulay misfiring. Passing game showed signs of productivity earlier this year.

Defence ... Seems like a system designed in a dream world. Vacate the middle. New concept. OCs around the league smack and rub their hands in anticipation.

STs ... Not special.

Personnel work. In a very deep draft year, we draft a project. On some kind of a whim? Dunno ... Plus two guys who might never play a down in the CFL. There seems to be some shaky decision making going on in the personnel department. Valued veterans leaving on harsh terms. Free agents unwilling to take more money to play here. Other valued veterans inadequately replaced. One wonders how far we are under the salary cap. No reward for leading the league in undershooting the salary cap. Going on the cheap to Hamilton a day later than usual? Not good signs if one is looking to see the former flagship of the league.

Now we hear that formerly woebegone Hamilton is the flagship of the league. Times change. Some adapt. Some don't. Some seem the have their heads in the sand. Bob Young seems to live and breathe with his team. David Braley seems like an absentee owner, which is pretty much what he is. He is not taking care of the product. He has farmed it out. It is the domain of Wally Buono.
What Braley did with the Argos is cut spending to a minimum to make the bottom line operating cost as low and therefore as attractive as he can for the new owners. It would seem that he is taking a similar route with the Lions as it is expected that he will sell the team withing the next couple of years.

If Braley does sell the team 2 years from now, then the new owner will have the choice of resigning the GM and HC or not, as their contracts would have expired.
I do not recall the hoped-for dollars Braley wanted for the Lions franchise, but the number has to be in free fall, one would think. Didn't we hear $10 million or $15 million?

And it seems Wally has the budget as top priority in his remaining years. Loyalty to Braley. Loyalty both ways.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Travis Lulay was on the midday show on TSN 1040 at around 10 a.m. Monday discussing the game. I thought he was open and honest in his assessment of what happened. He said the Lions knew they would have to come out and match the energy of the Ticats at the outset because they're a team that thrives on pressure and energy. When turnovers missed tackles gave Hamilton a lead, it gave the Ticats even more energy. He said when the Lions cut the lead to 21 points at halftime, they thought they could come back and make a game of it if they got a quick score in the third quarter, but instead it went the other way. "Momentum is a real thing," he said.

He said Hamilton's defence gives a lot of looks, they put different people in the box and drop off different people and they run stunts and twists in attempt to make things difficult for the O-line and to confuse the QBs and receivers on where the hot reads will be. (My comment: That might account for Lulay's hesitation throughout the game, when his first read wasn't open and he hesitated in the pocket before scrambling or being sacked.)

Lulay said he hasn't heard an update on the injury to Tommie Draheim, who had been fighting an ankle injury going into the Hamilton game. With a short week coming up, he said it's quite possible the Lions will line up the same way the finished the Hamilton game, with Cam Thorn at centre and Jason Foster at left tackle. He said he would expect Montreal to do some of the some things Hamilton did to put pressure on the O-line.

Wally is scheduled to be on at 1 p.m. to give his perspective on the team.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:

STs ... Not special.

I think this is exactly what Braley is now doing in BC...it took a very special attitude on the part of Milanovich to not go insane with all of the "nickel and diming" that he had to endure over the last 2 years in TO. How will Tedford and the players respond to this "new reality" in BC?

I will disagree with MexicoLionFan on the point of the Lions not deserving to win last week against Edmonton. Not only did they deserve to win last week, if guys execute better on offense, they deserved to win it going away. Only poor execution by Travis and the receiving corps kept that game from being a comfortable win, and I think Edmonton's lackluster performance this week against Montreal bore that out.

That was an excellent post Cro, I think on the point above, we are actually in agreement, we just expressed it in different ways. The reason I felt that the Lions didn't deserve to win was that they squandered opportunity after another in the EDM win, plus benefitted from Jones not going for the FG at the end. Deep throws or not, Lulay missed NINE WIDE OPEN receivers that would have resulted in points and should have led us to an easy win...so I think we "saw" the same thing.

Joe, I very much agree that this entire mess should be laid at the doorstep of Wally. As Dano pointed out, the string of questionable coaching decisions (plus the deterioration of talent and the sudden return to poor drafting, plus poor player development) has directly resulted in the Lions STRUGGLING to be a mediocre team. There are no signs of greatness with the Lions, but like last year, they can show you just enough to make you think that they are just another "average" CFL team. WE ARE NOT...the Lions, IMO, are on the cusp of becoming the true doormat of the league unless MAJOR changes are made, and soon. Lulay's QB career is in jeopardy of coming to an early end, Beck is an aging veteran backup who hasn't succeeded anywhere in Pro ball, and none of the young backups have shown much. Overnight our receiving corp turned into the worst in the league, even OTT took a significant jump over our group. Our best DLineman is approaching 40 and while Roh was being asked to play inside and Westerman outside, there wasn't any signs of hope from the younger guys. All of our young DBs have taken SIGNIFICANT strides backwards from last year, and we STILL DON'T POSSESS a decent Safety! How bad are our Special Teams? The opposition stands a strong chance of succeeding every time they "gamble" or "gimmick" against us! And if it wasn't for our IMPORT Kicker, our offence and defence would BOTH be struggling even more than they are! Its a complete mess in BC, and somehow/someway Jeff Tedford has allowed himself to "fall between the cracks" of the floorboards while all three of his coordinators are struggling badly! The culture he was trying to create in Training Camp of sharp minds, quick thinking, and teamwork hasn't caught, and in fact there is a massive EBB flowing against these concepts right now and soon we are going to see these overmatched players starting to turn on one another (and the coaches) in the media. CHANGE is needed in BC right now and Jeff Tedford needs to step up and be the leader he was hired to be!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Travis Lulay was on the midday show on TSN 1040 at around 10 a.m. Monday discussing the game. I thought he was open and honest in his assessment of what happened. He said the Lions knew they would have to come out and match the energy of the Ticats at the outset because they're a team that thrives on pressure and energy. When turnovers missed tackles gave Hamilton a lead, it gave the Ticats even more energy. He said when the Lons cut the lead to 21 points at halftime, they thought they could come back and make a game of it if they got a quick score in the third quarter, but instead it went the other way. "Momentum is a real thing," he said.

He said Hamilton's defence gives a lot of looks, they put different people in the box and drop off different people and they run stunts and twists in attempt to make things difficult for the O-line and to confuse the QBs and receivers on where the hot reads will be. (My comment: That might account for Lulay's hesitation throughout the game, when his first read wasn't open and he hesitated in the pocket before scrambling or being sacked.)

Lulay said he hasn't heard an update on the injury to Tommie Draheim, who had been fighting an ankle injury going into the Hamilton game. With a shrot week coming up, he said it's quite possible the Lions will line up the same way the fnished the Hamilton game, with Cam Thorn at centre and Jason Foster at left tackle. He said he would expect Montreal to do some of the some things Hamilton did to put pressure on the O-line.

Wally is scheduled to be on at 1 p.m. to give his perspective on the team.

Thanks for sharing this...did you notice that how Lulay described HAM and its Defence, is the OPPOSITE of how the Lions operate? Do you think that MTL might just apply the same techniques to nullify the Lions again this Thursday? 100% certain they will, and if Tedford doesn't have an answer for his three "teams", then he isn't doing his job as a Head Coach, short week or not!

The Lions play "not to lose" games, while most of their opposition play to win, which is why Chris Jone's strategy last week was such a bizarre phenomenon. Because of this strategy the Lions are behind the "eight ball" from the opening kickoff and it has to change or this downward slide will only accelerate.

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:I think this is exactly what Braley is now doing in BC...it took a very special attitude on the part of Milanovich to not go insane with all of the "nickel and diming" that he had to endure over the last 2 years in TO. How will Tedford and the players respond to this "new reality" in BC?
I've commented in other threads that I have the opposite perspective on the Lions' spending practices. The Lions have spared no expense in accommodating Tedford's requests for renovation of the Surrey practice facility to provide new meeting space, the purchase of iPads for all the players (an innovation for the Lions, if not the CFL) and a new electronic practice clock. The Lions also hired Tedford in the first place when they had already extended Benevides, so that's an added expense. They continue to use charter flights where practical, as they did on the weekend to Hamilton, and they have ramped up their marketing campaign online and in social media and in print (I'm not sure about TV and radio) to the point where I constantly see messages from the club, all pushing the same theme that Lions' games are affordable and fun entertainment. This organization does not seem to cut corners for the sake of saving money on the football side or the business side of the operation.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:I think this is exactly what Braley is now doing in BC...it took a very special attitude on the part of Milanovich to not go insane with all of the "nickel and diming" that he had to endure over the last 2 years in TO. How will Tedford and the players respond to this "new reality" in BC?
I've commented in other threads that I have the opposite perspective on the Lions' spending practices. The Lions have spared no expense in accommodating Tedford's requests for renovation of the Surrey practice facility to provide new meeting space, the purchase of iPads for all the players (an innovation for the Lions, if not the CFL) and a new electronic practice clock. The Lions also hired Tedford in the first place when they had already extended Benevides, so that's an added expense. They continue to use charter flights where practical, as they did on the weekend to Hamilton, and they have ramped up their marketing campaign online and in social media and in print (I'm not sure about TV and radio) to the point where I constantly see messages from the club, all pushing the same theme that Lions' games are affordable and fun entertainment. This organization does not seem to cut corners for the sake of saving money on the football side or the business side of the operation.
Thanks for all this information BCFAN.

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Agree on all points BCF except for the part about Bene's contract. I stand to be corrected but I don't believe BC was on the hook for anything on Bene's extension because it wasn't to come into effect until after he was let go. I remember some comments to that effect being verified by MB.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Wally is scheduled to be on at 1 p.m. to give his perspective on the team.
He was just on with Sekeres and it turned into a fiery exchange. I don't think I've heard WB this fired up since the 2007 Western Final presser exchange with Ssk colour man Carm Carteri.

It was going fairly cordially until MS questioned the effectiveness of our pass rush. WB quickly rejected any notion that this was a problem, and MS said, "That's not what I'm hearing from your peers around the league (paraphrase)." WB then challenged him to come into his office tomorrow (Tues) and watch video of it, much as he did with one of the long-contributing members of this board a couple years back. MS commented that WB would probably just show him cherry-picked highlights. WB said he would go through the Ham game and any other one of MS's choosing to go through. He offered to come back on MS's show Wed ("I'll come back for free," he noted) and he said MS would be apologising for ever having questioned our pass rush.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Wally is scheduled to be on at 1 p.m. to give his perspective on the team.
He was just on with Sekeres and it turned into a fiery exchange. I don't think I've heard WB this fired up since the 2007 Western Final presser exchange with Ssk colour man Carm Carteri.

It was going fairly cordially until MS questioned the effectiveness of our pass rush. WB quickly rejected any notion that this was a problem, and MS said, "That's not what I'm hearing from your peers around the league (paraphrase)." WB then challenged him to come into his office tomorrow (Tues) and watch video of it, much as he did with one of the long-contributing members of this board a couple years back. MS commented that WB would probably just show him cherry-picked highlights. WB said he would go through the Ham game and any other one of MS's choosing to go through. He offered to come back on MS's show Wed, and he said MS would be apologising for ever having questioned our pass rush.

Wally has to go can not eve listen to this pathetic organization anymore , there is something wrong when most football fans from Vancouver and the lower mainland are getting excited about Seahawks pre season , and throwing the lions under the bus , did you hear some of the post game callers ?? all of them said they have had it with this organization and do expect there will be no more than 17,000 this Thursday night .

and for all you people complaining about my rants last time I looked I thought this is a free speech country , I do have a huge passion for the lions that is why I do come on here and say my peace , but I refuse to support anything that does not give me value for my money , I have always loved the lions and Seahawks, right know I am more excited for the team down the I5 than our local team here , tell me one thing to be excited about with this team ?? until the lions change there owner, gm , president , and maybe coach ( too early to tell ) I will get on board again , so please do not shout me out of coming on here and say my peace about the lions .
MexicoLionFan
Legend

sj-roc wrote:

It was going fairly cordially until MS questioned the effectiveness of our pass rush. WB quickly rejected any notion that this was a problem, and MS said, "That's not what I'm hearing from your peers around the league (paraphrase)." WB then challenged him to come into his office tomorrow (Tues) and watch video of it, much as he did with one of the long-contributing members of this board a couple years back. MS commented that WB would probably just show him cherry-picked highlights. WB said he would go through the Ham game and any other one of MS's choosing to go through. He offered to come back on MS's show Wed ("I'll come back for free," he noted) and he said MS would be apologising for ever having questioned our pass rush.
Thanks for sharing this...what in the world is Wally talking about? Is it "our coach put them into a position to succeed but they didn't execute" line, or is Wally actually saying that our "front four" is actually adequate??? Either way, Wally is on another planet, and likely medication.

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

It was going fairly cordially until MS questioned the effectiveness of our pass rush. WB quickly rejected any notion that this was a problem, and MS said, "That's not what I'm hearing from your peers around the league (paraphrase)." WB then challenged him to come into his office tomorrow (Tues) and watch video of it, much as he did with one of the long-contributing members of this board a couple years back. MS commented that WB would probably just show him cherry-picked highlights. WB said he would go through the Ham game and any other one of MS's choosing to go through. He offered to come back on MS's show Wed, and he said MS would be apologising for ever having questioned our pass rush.

Wally has to go can not eve listen to this pathetic organization anymore , there is something wrong when most football fans from Vancouver and the lower mainland are getting excited about Seahawks pre season , and throwing the lions under the bus , did you hear some of the post game callers ?? all of them said they have had it with this organization and do expect there will be no more than 17,000 this Thursday night .

and for all you people complaining about my rants last time I looked I thought this is a free speech country , I do have a huge passion for the lions that is why I do come on here and say my peace , but I refuse to support anything that does not give me value for my money , I have always loved the lions and Seahawks, right know I am more excited for the team down the I5 than our local team here , tell me one thing to be excited about with this team ?? until the lions change there owner, gm , president , and maybe coach ( too early to tell ) I will get on board again , so please do not shout me out of coming on here and say my peace about the lions .
Give you value for your money? Really?

What money? I thought you weren't buying tickets and coming to games.

As for free speech...

... if you're invoking "free speech! free speech!", you're basically saying that the best defence of your views is that the government can't throw you in jail for them, which is a pretty low bar you've given yourself to clear. On this board, the level of discourse is frankly a little bit higher than that. Please try challenging yourself that little bit extra when you post here.
MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks for sharing this...what in the world is Wally talking about? Is it "our coach put them into a position to succeed but they didn't execute" line, or is Wally actually saying that our "front four" is actually adequate??? Either way, Wally is on another planet, and likely medication.
Here's the full audio of WB's segment, all 21 minutes of it, in case you missed it. It seems 1040 wasted no time uploading it. The interview covers a lot of other ground and the audio cuts out and goes silent from about 14:35 to about 14:59 (went through that part several times to make sure it wasn't on my end), but comes back before the pass rush question comes up at around 15:08 and continues for most of the remaining time. It seems MS is taking Buono up on his offer; since he's doing his show from their practice facility tomorrow anyway (of which I'm sure WB was aware) it won't be any inconvenience.

Buono: Our pass rush is excellent
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.