Ti-Cats 52 - Lions 22 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:How long is this video?
I think the session was broken up into several short videos. The quality is not great but here is one link.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:How long is this video?
I think the session was broken up into several short videos. The quality is not great but here is one link.
Sound quality is awful. Cannot hear Buono. Can hear Sekeres sometimes. They are looking at game tape in Wally's office.

Video quality is hopeless to see clearly. It would be possible, with some extra work, to send the video directly to the screen with the voices included.

The video will attempt to show, poorly, what we can see on television with much more clarity. 4 D Line rushing against 5 O Line pass blockers, or more if FB stays in or a TE is in. Little effective blitzing. Minimal overloads at the LOS. Little effort to confuse the offence. Extra men back in zone. And little pressure on the LOS or QB. The D Line doing exactly as asked: Does that make an excellent pass rush? Not without pressure. Not without help.

But Wally will be able to say that the D Line is doing exactly as they are asked to do: rush against double teams, allowing zone coverage in back of them. But compared to aggressive defences the Lions' pass rush will get little or no heat on the QB.

If Wally puts a better video on Periscope for us, we can see it in detail. Otherwise we are better to look at the TV tape.

Are the D Line valiantly performing their assignments? Yes. Very much so.

Are they able to pressure the QB the way the TiCats pressure us? No. They need the help provided by an aggressive, attacking system, such as is used by Jones or Steinauer. Of course, Wally prefers zone defence, and that is not an aggressive defence. The way Wally wants it, the defence is, IMO, ultra conservative.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rather impossible for viewers to break down this film as shown here.

Better to look at the TV feed.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In their follow-up session on radio at noon today, Sekeres conceded Wally's point that the defensive line is performing much better than he thought. Sekeres said the front four seemed to disrupt the QB and affect his throws on about 40% of dropbacks, and Wally agreed with that figure. Wally was blunt in saying that if the linebackers and secondary had done as well with their assignments this year, the team might have a better record than 3-4.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WB's appearance today on 1040, about 10min long:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... t-1.347922

It was a fairly cordial exchange with none of Monday's fireworks. Sekeres didn't apologise as WB suggested the other day, but about 1:10 into this audio he acknowledges from the video session that opposing QBs often release the ball <2sec after the snap (as per the play design rather than the pass rush), and looking at the rest of the plays, about 40% of the time our PR disrupts the play, either disrupting the QB or the throw or the route. "A pretty good number," MS calls this; I'd be interested to know how other teams grade out on this stat for sake of comparison and where we graded out in the past when we had better sack totals.

I only checked out one clip from among the periscope videos, the first one, I think, and the game video isn't even running. The concept of putting content like this out there for fans to watch is a great idea — but the production values need to cleaned up if they do something like this again. I know they only had about 24hrs notice to put this all together as WB had only thrown down the gauntlet the day before but a shaky handheld iPhone really doesn't do this justice. If they do it again they might consider harnessing some (some more?) of TSN's resources. They already have a broadcast partnership; why not get creative and find ways to expand on it?

WB's comments even push in that direction: "The things we do to try to sell a ticket, huh?" he notes toward the end of the above audio, chuckling. "I try to sell a ticket, you're [TSN1040] trying to sell ratings, so I guess we're both doing the same thing, right?"
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It is 4:30 am here and I've been up late on a conference call to Toronto so not listened to the feature with Wally. I will listen later.

I do give Wally full marks for being out there in the media like that. I respect what he says and even if I didn't agree I'd still want to hear his thinking.

He's always a good interview and even when he says he doesn't want to comment like a few games ago post loss - you could read between the lines as to his thoughts.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:....but about 1:10 into this audio he (Sekeres) acknowledges from the video session that opposing QBs often release the ball <2sec after the snap (as per the play design rather than the pass rush)...
See, this is why I think this "come into my office and I'll break down film" exercise is pure BS. QBs are releasing in under 2 seconds because very often there's a wide open slot in the flat or wideout down field (busted coverage)! So we don't really know if the D-line would have gotten to the quarterback on those plays or not, because the QB released the ball for a first down.....or worse.

And what about RBs easily getting past the first layer on runs? Or Drew Willy's quarterback draws because our LBs cheated in coverage. Was that addressed?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:....but about 1:10 into this audio he (Sekeres) acknowledges from the video session that opposing QBs often release the ball <2sec after the snap (as per the play design rather than the pass rush)...
See, this is why I think this "come into my office and I'll break down film" exercise is pure BS. QBs are releasing in under 2 seconds because very often there's a wide open slot in the flat or wideout down field (busted coverage)! So we don't really know if the D-line would have gotten to the quarterback on those plays or not, because the QB released the ball for a first down.....or worse.

And what about RBs easily getting past the first layer on runs? Or Drew Willy's quarterback draws because our LBs cheated in coverage. Was that addressed?

DH :cool:
Its always spin and b.s.

Wally also loves to break down tape to show reporters and even fans 'his' version. I would love to have him try to convince me that our pass rush is getting the job done. :cr:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Post by B.C.FAN » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:37 pm

I was looking at some the league's weekly stats and it's amazing how poorly the B.C. defence ranks across the board, not just in the key categories that get most of the attention. I've grouped the categories by the Lions' ranking.

Net yards/game: 407 (last)
Pass yards/game: 305 (last)
Avg. gain/pass: 9.1 (last)
YAC surrendered: 1,022 (last)
QB sacks: 13 (last)
Big plays (DEF): 25 (last)
Big pass plays: 17 (last)
Big rush plays: 8 (last)
2 & outs: 27 (last)
Avg. gain 2nd DN: 7.5 (last)

Rush yards/game: 118 (T-last)
TDs (DEF only): 20 (T-last)

Obviously our Leos biggest problem is defense. The above stats are appalling.

On offence we don't look as bad but considering that our offence is 3rd in rushing and we've given up the least sacks in the CFL (only 5 sacks in 7 games while keeping Lulay in the pocket) we should be much better.

However, we're last in the CFL in passing yards, 8th in number of passes completed, 8th in passing yards per game, and 6th in average yards of offence per game.

With the high quality of run blocking, with Harris running so well, and with the protection our offensive line is giving Lulay, we should be one hell of a lot better on offence than we've been so far this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)