Sean Whyte Released as was you name him D...Collins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'd prefer a national kicker and nothing against the Lions current guy who has proven he can kick and get hang time which has become more of an issue like directional out of bounds kicking.

Would he be worth a look back in BC or what am I missing here?

Dropsem Collins should have been cut post game when he dropped a sure TD. Haven't seen anything that brutal since playing community ball in the GSL.
Montreal Alouettes

The team released national kicker Sean Whyte, national linebacker Bryn Roy as well as international receiver Dobson Collins on Monday.

Whyte had been with the Alouettes since 2011. He made 160 field goals and scored 698 points in 72 games with Montreal.

Calgary Stampeders

The team added international running back Keith Toston to the practice roster on Monday.

Toston originally signed with Calgary on Feb. 24 and attended training camp with the Stampeders, carrying the ball 12 times for 64 yards and making three catches for 16 yards in two pre-season games.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

I'd say sign Sean Whyte and stash him on the Injured or reserve list, if he's willing. There are probably other teams that want him. Not sure why he wasn't playing with the Als anymore? He was always a pretty good kicker.

Leone is just too good to remove at this point. He out-punted the Riders kicker in their last match-up by over 100 yds with the same number of punts. That's the margin of victory. Leone might have NFL opportunities next year if the Lions agree to let him out of his contract...although he seems a purrfect kicker for the CFL. Perhaps with a little bit of home cooking, Whyte might rebound next year and become our desired National punter/kicker for years to come. :thup:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnHenry wrote:I'd say sign Sean Whyte and stash him on the Injured or reserve list, if he's willing. There are probably other teams that want him. Not sure why he wasn't playing with the Als anymore? He was always a pretty good kicker.

Leone is just too good to remove at this point. He out-punted the Riders kicker in their last match-up by over 100 yds with the same number of punts. That's the margin of victory. Leone might have NFL opportunities next year if the Lions agree to let him out of his contract...although he seems a purrfect kicker for the CFL. Perhaps with a little bit of home cooking, Whyte might rebound next year and become our desired National punter/kicker for years to come. :thup:
Leone had a spring tryout as a punter I think, with an NFL team (Steelers? Ravens?) and was released and not picked up by anyone else so I don't think the NFL is going to beat down his door after 1 year in the CFL.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally mentioned on his Presidents Week appearance on TSN 1040 on Monday that the addition of a fourth designated import with the expanded 44-man game-day rosters last year has opened the door to kickers with stronger legs, regardless of passports. You can see the difference in kickoff stats. Boris Bede in Montreal leads the league with an average of 73.8 yards. Last year Sean Whyte averaged 58.9 yards in Montreal. That's a difference of almost 15 yards a kick. Last year Ricky Schmitt of the Lions was second in the league with an average kickoff of 63.6 yards. This year Richie Leone has a better average of 65.3 yards but that's just good enough for fifth in the league.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Of all the problems this team has, kicking is not one of them.
The_Pauser
Legend

Anthony Fera has a very strong leg too. I'm confident going with him if we lose Leone to the NFL.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

Skulsky said that Richie is "going to be here for a long time" in his President's Week interview on 1040. Not sure what he was basing that on, if anything.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Skulsky said that Richie is "going to be here for a long time" in his President's Week interview on 1040. Not sure what he was basing that on, if anything.

DH :cool:
Wishful thinking, perhaps. He's had NFL opportunities before but as an all-purpose kicker who is excelling in all roles, he could still garner some interest from that league in 2016.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

Sean Whyte wasn't out of work long. He was just picked up by EDM.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3216033
peeby
Starter

Fairly clear that Grant Shaw gets no respect in Edmonton. When they didn't go for a FG at the end of that Lions game, that said a lot.

By the by, when Sean got beaten out by someone else in MTL, I thought it was this movement to American kickers. Last night, I looked over the Als' roster and noticed that even though the new guy is an International, he went to Laval. Not sure the CFL has got the National thing right as yet. Bede is a French-African soccer player and doesn't appear to have played in the US at any time. I guess he is an international in one sense, but he did go to a Canadian university, so..??
Spud387
Champion

peeby wrote:Fairly clear that Grant Shaw gets no respect in Edmonton. When they didn't go for a FG at the end of that Lions game, that said a lot.

By the by, when Sean got beaten out by someone else in MTL, I thought it was this movement to American kickers. Last night, I looked over the Als' roster and noticed that even though the new guy is an International, he went to Laval. Not sure the CFL has got the National thing right as yet. Bede is a French-African soccer player and doesn't appear to have played in the US at any time. I guess he is an international in one sense, but he did go to a Canadian university, so..??
Shaw injured himself yesterday. That is primarily why Whyte was picked up.

I am curious though, why was Whyte released and not picked up for 3 weeks? I thought he has been very good, consistent and is a national. What am I missing (although i admit I didn't follow montreal closely)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Spud387 wrote:I am curious though, why was Whyte released and not picked up for 3 weeks? I thought he has been very good, consistent and is a national. What am I missing (although i admit I didn't follow montreal closely)
12.3 yards. That's the difference between Boris Bede's 71.2-yard kickoff average going into this week and Whyte's 58.9-yard average last year. (It doesn't hurt that Bede is also hitting 95% of his field goals.) One of the trends that has been discussed in the CFL is that teams around the league are increasingly using the expanded rosters to add strong-legged kickers, regardless of passport. Whyte is an accurate field-goal kicker with a range of about 47 yards but that doesn't guarantee a job these days.
peeby
Starter

The expanded game day roster is mentioned in this thread. Can anyone explain it for me? My understanding is that teams have 46 guys on the active roster, who are all in receipt of full pay (as opposed to the practice roster guys). Why aren't they all dressing? Are there teams in the league that have just 44 or 45 guys so it's some money thing? I've never got this even when it was 42 out of 46 dressing. Anyone?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

peeby wrote:The expanded game day roster is mentioned in this thread. Can anyone explain it for me? My understanding is that teams have 46 guys on the active roster, who are all in receipt of full pay (as opposed to the practice roster guys). Why aren't they all dressing? Are there teams in the league that have just 44 or 45 guys so it's some money thing? I've never got this even when it was 42 out of 46 dressing. Anyone?
The collective bargaining agreement ratified at the start of the 2014 season increases game-day rosters to 44 players from 42. As before, teams maintain 46-man rosters (all at full salary) but the reserve list of players who are scratched an hour before each game dropped to 2 from 4. As a result, each team dresses one more international backup who can play on special teams and can substitute for another international player on offence or defence. This makes it easier for teams to carry an international kicker (or two) and still have an international returner, backup DB and linebacker for situational substitutions and special teams coverage.