Skulsky episode of 2015 Presidents' Week Series on TSN1040

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

As many of you are no doubt aware Lions' President Dennis Skulsky co-hosted on Team 1040 with Matt Sekeres today in his 4th annual instalment to 1040's Presidents' Week series. Links to the podcast audio can be found here:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... ce-1.83469

This is only the link for Sekeres’s show. Look for Aug 10th files to get the audio.

Unlike previous years with 2 hours of Skulsky they’ve expanded it to 3 hours this year, evenly divided between Skulsky (first up at 10:30am to noon) and Wally Buono (from noon to 1:30pm). I've had a listen to Skulsky’s contributions and took some notes on the highlights as per the posts below. I'm kind of pressed for time so I won't be doing the same for WB's 90mins of airtime. I’ve broken things up with one post per segment to facilitate replies to any particular point that came up in any one segment. I wrote these somewhat quickly as I was listening so please keep in mind remarks attributed to various individuals are only paraphrases and may not necessarily reflect the tone with which they were made (doubly so since this is a written recap where it's hard to capture tone in the first place!). Since I spent a bit of time on this, I have added only limited comment of my own in response to some of DS's responses.
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SEGMENT 1, intro, Matt Sekeres & Dennis Skulsky

MS notes DS has his pen & paper as always.

MS: Are Lions meeting fan expectations onfield? DS: some good signs but also some work to be done. Not wanting to use team youth as excuse.

MS: Lions have had many close games. Makes execution late in games crucial. DS: CFL in general has had many close games.

MS: More penalties getting called this year. Because of new rules? DS: new rules aren’t main cause of increase in flags. Many calls are stuff that’s always been disallowed: offside, procedure, etc.

MS: Re: Tedford, what does he bring different from other coaches? DS: Works to gain players’ respect. Attention to detail unmatched. Eye to improving as a team every week.

MS: Is Tedford gone when contract expires in 2016? DS thinks he will be here beyond that. Added his wife likes it here.

MS: lower bowl only config. DS: we weren’t good at home in 2014. Needed to do something to help boost gameday atmosphere and fan experience. Upper bowl could be used if demand warrants, hopefully even this year. Says the decision was not an easy one, not taken lightly.

MS: last two crowds were worst in Buono’s tenure. DS: That’s a reflection of entertainment value of onfield product, goes beyond whether we win or lose. Crowds won’t come back overnight, we must work hard on and off field to bring them back.

MS: Who’s your MOP right now? Andrew Harris? DS agrees, but says he has other great players around him, Solly, Biggie, Lulay, etc. Leone is a factor in field position, “going to be here for a long time” [not sure I agree on his longevity here — sj-r].

MS invites callers as the segment closes: keep it decorous and keep it tight.
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SEGMENT 2, MS & DS take calls

MS: Why do you stand on the sidelines during games? Aren’t you a distraction? DS: Was I a distraction when we won in 2011? Cleared it with the players and coaches that he’s not being in the way of them. Haven’t done it as much this year. Doesn’t wish his presence to impact the team’s focus.

Caller John in Surrey: Ticket prices are too high. DS: what’s your preferred point? Caller: $30-40. DS: season tickets start $27/game. We manage prices as best we can. Early arrival to stadium gets cheaper concessions from 6-6:30pm (“happy half hour”).

MS: what’s the rent for you guys @BCP? DS: not a simple question. Many factors go into it, but it’s a fair amount we’re paying, comparable to other CFL teams pay [essentially same thing he said in that Tyee report from Bob Mackin — sj-r].

Caller Ed: Disappointed in QB development, no one’s pushing Lulay and he’s past his peak. Is DS concerned about this? DS: WB will be on later to discuss personnel matters; there’s room for improvement, but Lulay isn’t done. We’re better now than this time last year. Backup QBs will get more snaps as season progresses.

Twitter commenter: Have Seahawks eaten into this market? DS: I believe they are good for football here; our boat rises with theirs.
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SEGMENT 3, MS & DS take more callers

Caller Paul in Vancouver: Can’t make it to Thu games. Need more games on weekends. DS: league decided to brand Thu night football. We were only supposed to have one Thu night game this year but league pushed up last minute to take a second one. Our research indicates younger demographic likes weeknights, but overall it goes Fri is best, then Sat, then Sun, then Thu at the bottom.

Neil in Burnaby: Onfield branding is bothersome. DS: I’m not crazy about it either. And we’re not allowed to put ads on our turf.

Twitter commenter: will gun metal grey jerseys be back in 2015? DS: No, we’re working on other designs. We didn’t play well last few times we wore them.

Brad on twitter: why no tailgating at games? DS: we have street party and beer games in Terry Fox plaza before games. This city/downtown isn’t conducive to TGing, because of liquor laws and parking limitations.

Caller Dan in Poco: To build crowds, one endzone should be discounted single ticket sales only, no STHs. DS: We have a plan along those lines coming up for the fall. Stay tuned.

MS: Do you plan to offer student pricing? DS mentions the family 4-pack targeted to elementary school kids. There are also discounted group sales.

MS: How is Club orange doing? DS: going over well. Will build when post-secondary students return in the fall.

Mike in email: Who no halftime shows anymore? DS: over half our fans surveyed don’t care all that much about them so we went with the panel concept. Will bring Washington Huskies marching band for pregame and halftime for our Sat Oct 3 game against Ssk [I don’t know squat about the Huskies but please tell me they DON’T wear green, lol — sj-r].

Al in Vancouver: Wants more concession (beer) selection and better pricing. DS: The pricing is not in our control but compares well with other pro sports venues. We have discounts in the 6-6:30p time before 7p kickoff.

Mike in Chilliwack: Re: league expansion, is it realistic to go to the USA? DS: Ottawa provides good model for expansion within Canada. Quebec City seems most promising location. Wetenhall is aware Mtl-QC rivalry could benefit his team. Warming up to Windsor/cross border opportunities, it’s come up in league meetings.

MS: So USA expansion is completely off the table? Because US tv ratings are growing very well. DS: Summer months work well for USA [to my ear he didn’t sound all that enthused about US expansion and was implying they would lose attention once NFL season started — sj-r].
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SEGMENT 4, MS & DS

MS: Does CFL need to do more to nurture junior football to ensure long-term talent pool isn’t lost to hockey. DS: Agreed, participation at all levels is important. Flag football has the most growth in BC of all levels. Pointed to Hockey Canada’s summer showcase last week; football has advantage of a longer off-season for training. More Canadians are playing in the USA at NCAA and NFL level.

Caller Kevin in Surrey: why are STH perks not per ticket but per account? DS: normally they are per ticket but re: UBC game, that was per account for that instance only.

Alexander on twitter: uniforms should have more silver and black. DS: will do some focus groups as we get into some new designs. Orange will still be main colour.
Last edited by sj-roc on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

FINAL SEGMENT, #5, MS & DS

Phil in South Van: Does BCP have an onsite court for hooliganism? DS: We ban them for life from our games.

Troy in White Rock: Season should run April-September [NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO — sj-r]. DS: some western teams want to move the sked up a few weeks. But we’re more of a fall market.

Andrew: Is attendance heatwave/weather related? DS: don’t think so, maybe some of the walkup but not overall.

Caller: what’s the blackout policy? DS: Ackles supported it but I don’t. We’re not allowed to black out all our games under the current contract.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The biggest scoop IMHO to come out of Skulsky's time this morning is the Washington Huskies marching band will be appearing at the Sat Oct 3rd home game against Ssk.

Also they have no plans to wear gun metal grey anymore and are working on another 3rd jersey design.
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:The biggest scoop IMHO to come out of Skulsky's time this morning is the Washington Huskies marching band will be appearing at the Sat Oct 3rd home game against Ssk.

Also they have no plans to wear gun metal grey anymore and are working on another 3rd jersey design.
The former, I believe, is an admission that the panel alone is just not working. Some kind of Japanese drum line is also planned for another half-time show.

The latter is again, an example of how out of touch they are. Gun metal has been an extremely popular jersey, just walk the concourse any game day. But Skulsky said that they're a superstitious bunch and they haven't fared well in them. Yes, he actually said that. They're planning a new design with focus groups and "want to have fun with it." I do not want anything to do with this latest cash grab.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:SEGMENT 2, MS & DS take calls
Caller John in Surrey: Ticket prices are too high. DS: what’s your preferred point? Caller: $30-40. DS: season tickets start $27/game. We manage prices as best we can. Early arrival to stadium gets cheaper concessions from 6-6:30pm (“happy half hour”).
To add to that the caller started by saying that he gets a "great seat" for Canucks' games for $80 which at Rogers Arena is pretty much a nosebleed. I found myself wondering what the real issue was. Seemed like the caller was happy to pay low end pricing for high upper bowl seating for Canuck games but wasn't willing to do the same for Lion games even though that same price would get him into prime seating.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:The biggest scoop IMHO to come out of Skulsky's time this morning is the Washington Huskies marching band will be appearing at the Sat Oct 3rd home game against Ssk.

The former, I believe, is an admission that the panel alone is just not working. Some kind of Japanese drum line is also planned for another half-time show.

The latter is again, an example of how out of touch they are. Gun metal has been an extremely popular jersey, just walk the concourse any game day. But Skulsky said that they're a superstitious bunch and they haven't fared well in them. Yes, he actually said that. They're planning a new design with focus groups and "want to have fun with it." I do not want anything to do with this latest cash grab.

DH :cool:
He also said they've been trying for 3 years to secure the 300 piece UW Huskies Marching Band and finally managed to come up with a date that fit for both the Lions' schedule and the band's schedule. I think that is another indicator that there is a lot more effort going on behind the scenes in terms of promotions and marketing than the detractors want to accept. Just because things don't happen doesn't mean it's from lack of effort.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dupsdell1
Champion

Skulsky is a joke he runs this team so mickey Mouse , not having any family zone is a joke to fill those end zone seats . this is not the way you run a business .
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DS: That’s a reflection of entertainment value of onfield product, goes beyond whether we win or lose. Crowds won’t come back overnight, we must work hard on and off field to bring them back.

Thanks for all your hard work, its appreciated! As to the comment above, its important if DS really means it...I will go back again to the year with Doug Flutie...we had LOTS of issues with our young team, BUT they played HARD and EXCITING football that kept us in most games and were incredibly entertaining, win or lose.

Had Flutie returned the next season to BC, we wouldn't of had a crowd less than 40,000 after essentially being bankrupt (on many levels). Within 2 years, that stadium would have been full! There are great football fans in VAN, but living in BC is expensive, and VAN does not make it easy to attend "downtown" games. You have to give VAN fans a reason to deal with all the hassles to go to a football game, BUT they will attend if you do! What Wally and company have been serving for the last few years is BORING to say the least, and last year's home games were a DISASTER! What Tedford needs to do in BC is create "pressuring" units...offence and defence...not this passive, playing "not to lose" type football! When the first half has been exciting NO ONE CARES what is on tap for half time!!! As I have said for a few years now, its time for Wally to move on!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
dupsdell1
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:
DS: That’s a reflection of entertainment value of onfield product, goes beyond whether we win or lose. Crowds won’t come back overnight, we must work hard on and off field to bring them back.

Thanks for all your hard work, its appreciated! As to the comment above, its important if DS really means it...I will go back again to the year with Doug Flutie...we had LOTS of issues with our young team, BUT they played HARD and EXCITING football that kept us in most games and were incredibly entertaining, win or lose.

Had Flutie returned the next season to BC, we wouldn't of had a crowd less than 40,000 after essentially being bankrupt (on many levels). Within 2 years, that stadium would have been full! There are great football fans in VAN, but living in BC is expensive, and VAN does not make it easy to attend "downtown" games. You have to give VAN fans a reason to deal with all the hassles to go to a football game, BUT they will attend if you do! What Wally and company have been serving for the last few years is BORING to say the least, and last year's home games were a DISASTER! What Tedford needs to do in BC is create "pressuring" units...offence and defence...not this passive, playing "not to lose" type football! When the first half has been exciting NO ONE CARES what is on tap for half time!!! As I have said for a few years now, its time for Wally to move on!
\

I totally agree new ownership , new gm, new president , is what we need , those empty seats in the end zones should not be empty even if you make them $25.00 a piece . can not Waite for this team to get new owners , and then I will come again.
The_Pauser
Legend

Thanks for posting this. Enjoyed reading it.

Very upset with the phasing out of the gun metal grey jerseys. Such a hot item that fans loved, and they just won't listen. I know Dennis in the past has talked about the tradition of orange (something I disagree with if you look at our history). There won't be a tradition to protect unless we start attracting the millennials, and those millennials said they loved that jersey. Instead of being stubborn they should listen to their customers and give them what they want instead of force feeding something that doesn't work.

I wish someone asked the question about what they are doing to attract the younger generation of fans.
Roar you Lions roar!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
sj-roc wrote:...they have no plans to wear gun metal grey anymore and are working on another 3rd jersey design.
... an example of how out of touch they are. Gun metal has been an extremely popular jersey, just walk the concourse any game day. But Skulsky said that they're a superstitious bunch and they haven't fared well in them. Yes, he actually said that. They're planning a new design with focus groups and "want to have fun with it." I do not want anything to do with this latest cash grab.
I'm hearing on twitter, in addition to some fan disappointment with this development, that the league's deal with Reebok expires after this year and won't be renewed, and that Reebok owns the gun metal grey design.