Ranking the CFL's venues

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Van Sun's Mike Beamish ranks the CFL's venues. His criteria are "Size, ambience, creature comforts, aesthetics, food …and, of course, convenience of coverage from the press-box perch." BC comes in at #4, while Wpg tops the list with Tor dead last.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/stad ... story.html
CFL stadium fare has changed dramatically: We rank our favourite Canadian Football League stadiums
By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun August 6, 2015

VANCOUVER — With three new or refurbished stadiums opening in the past couple of years and a fourth about to be completed, the rankings of our favourite Canadian Football League stadiums have changed dramatically, too. Overall impressiveness is determined by several criteria. Size, ambience, creature comforts, aesthetics, food …and, of course, convenience of coverage from the press-box perch.

1. INVESTORS GROUP FIELD (WINNIPEG)

"It's a very loud place, hard for a visiting team to communicate," says B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford. "I thought it sounded more like 60,000." With its undulating, corrugated metal roof covering most of the stadium's 33,500 seats, IGF is the ideal size for a CFL ballpark. It has vaulted Winnipeg from worst (good riddance, Canad Inns Stadium) to first among the league's stadiums. Equal-opportunity washrooms (14 for each gender) with separate entrances and exits ensure flow-through traffic from the rum huts and vodka bars on the concourse level, where fans can view the game, on the field or from one of 250 TV monitors, while plunking down $12 for a 16-oz. cup of premium beer.

Downside: Stadium is a long hike from Portage Avenue and traffic snarls on the way to the game are a regular occurrence.

2. TD PLACE STADIUM (OTTAWA)

Part of the $450-million Lansdowne Park restaurant, shopping and residential project south of the downtown core, TD Place Stadium trumps every other CFL outdoor venue for its neighbourhood vibe. Outside its doors are a host of trendy bars and restaurants for pre- and post-game noshing and imbibing. Inside the young, urban crowd seems bent on having a good time (not necessarily hung up on watching a good football game). Crowd circulation has been criticized for its lack of flow, however, especially when fans try to access concessions and rest rooms. The Ottawa Citizen's RedBlacks beat writer, Gord Holder, gives the media facilities a similar "mixed review." Good sight lines a plus.

Downside: Limited washrooms and congested elevators (locker room better accessed through the stairwells) are minuses.

3. TIM HORTONS FIELD (HAMILTON)

Pivoted 90 degrees to afford better sight lines and protection from the blustery winds that blow off Lake Ontario and Burlington Bay, Tim Hortons Field has risen phoenix-like from the footprint of old Ivor Wynne Stadium to provide Hamiltonians with unimagined luxury: Minimum 19-inch-wide seats, ranging to 21 inches, with armrests and cupholders, a far cry from the bench seating that was a throwback to football's prehistoric past. "It's also all about the quality of the bathrooms, too," says Ticats reporter Carol Phillips, recalling that the women's bathroom in the press box at Ivor Wynne could never be locked, resulting in some embarrassing trips to the biffy.

Downsides: Concession food is unimaginative and not cheap; better bring binoculars when heading to the upper-stratosphere press box.

4. BC PLACE STADIUM (VANCOUVER)

Given a half-billion-dollar facelift at public expense, many times the original estimate, the appeal and attraction of BC Place varies wildly, depending on whether you're a fed-up provincial taxpayer or an enthralled out-of-town visitor raving about the innovative concession food, the iconic LED windows and the giant JumboTron. "I personally love covering games at BC Place," says CFL writer Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun. "The view from the press box is the best in the league — by a mile.”

Downsides: Nonetheless, the stadium's biggest failing is its sheer size — 54,500 seats. Lacking both intimacy, fans and, this season, a half-time show beyond the appearance of three talking heads, the esprit under the retractable-roofed stadium is found wanting. It doesn't even have a catchy nickname.

5. PERCIVAL MOLSON STADIUM (MONTREAL)

The most worshipped cathedrals of sport blend tradition with some cutting-edge amenities (Soldier Field, Wrigley Field in Chicago). As such, Molson Stadium, which literally opened 100 years ago, works on one level — the views of downtown Montreal, looking south, and Mount Royal, to the north, are stunning. Wrought-iron fencing and stonework were used to blend seamlessly the old stadium with the expansion on the southside grandstands.

Downsides: For first-time visitors who don’t bring seat cushions or wear Vibram-soled hiking boots, the stadium’s lack of creature comforts can be off-putting. The seating is on benches, with no backs, and the climb to the nose-bleed seats is steep, without railings to cling to. Scary. It's professional football at its most scenic — and its most basic.

6. MOSAIC STADIUM (REGINA)

Broiling in the summer, freezing in the late fall, Roughrider fans have to be as tough as the hardy prairie homesteaders who carved out a living on the grasslands. Prairie madness, once brought on by isolation, has given way to mania for the province's football team. Nobody has more fun at a CFL game than the Melonheads, about to take possession of a new $278-million stadium, just to the west, on Elphinstone Street, when it's finished next year. Fans will take the good memories of Mosaic Stadium with them.

Downsides: The bad ones — long beer lines, sketchy washrooms, the human tide ingressing and egressing up and down labyrinthine ramps — will linger not so much. "There is comfort in visiting Mosaic Stadium (for the tradition)," says Regina Leader-Post sports columnist Rob Vanstone. "But it is simply not a comfortable place to watch a game."

7. COMMONWEALTH STADIUM (EDMONTON)

Albertans know how to stretch a buck. Closing in on 40 years since it opened for the 1978 Commonwealth Games, the expanded and renovated home of the Eskimos is fresh from another rehabilitation and continues to buck the ravages of time and the lethal northern Alberta winters. Commonwealth scores major points for being close to light-rail transit. Any holder of a pre-paid football ticket gets to travel there for free.

Downsides: It takes a good-sized Alberta city, the population of Fort McMurray, to fill it. And with a running track surrounding the field and reminding everyone of the stadium's roots, you can barely make out the players from a long way up. "It's very sterile," says CFL writer Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun. "And I hate the enclosed press box."

8. McMAHON STADIUM (CALGARY)

Calgary is the undisputed tailgating champion of the CFL, although the parking lot action at Fort Whoop-Up can resemble an Arctic street fair when the thermometer tumbles.

Downsides: McMahon’s usefulness as a football stadium (it’s 55 years old and shows every one of those years) also leaves us cold. “Not only does it look like a dinosaur (her daughter is a paleontologist), it has that feel as well,” says Rita Mingo of the Calgary Herald. “The concourse is a cold, grey shell, and the bathroom facilities are horrible.”

9. ROGERS CENTRE (TORONTO)

Since SkyDome (now Rogers Centre) opened in 1989, the 3.25-hectare roof on the mammoth concrete and steel structure has never failed to impress. It has continued to open and shut on command throughout is 26-year history.

Downsides: Still, the staging of CFL games, in a cavernous expanse designed for baseball, has been a problematic proposition since Day 1. "Zero atmosphere and it looks empty with 20,000 people in it," says Chris O'Leary, who covers the Eskimos for the Edmonton Journal. After years of trying valiantly to create a fan experience — kudos to the kickin' pep band, the Argonotes — the football team hopes a move to BMO Field next season, under the MLSE banner, can be its salvation.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

I say BC place is right next to Rogers Centre it has terrible sightlines
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Just finished a walk through at McGill university. The bench seating would be some getting used to. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

dupsdell1 wrote:I say BC place is right next to Rogers Centre it has terrible sightlines
I've not been to Roger's Centre for a football game, but at BC Place I really like the sight lines from where ever I've sat.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:I say BC place is right next to Rogers Centre it has terrible sightlines
I've not been to Roger's Centre for a football game, but at BC Place I really like the sight lines from where ever I've sat.
The only place where I've found the view in BCP is compromised is in the endzones; if you sit along the back deadline beyond the lowest few rows, you can only see the first 10-12yds of the endzone underneath you, so you'll miss any sort of play, a catch for a TD or an INT or maybe an OPI/DPI, that occurs deeper than that. At least now you have live action on the centre hung videoboard to watch but back in the days of the old videoboard above the east endzone and especially before they started showing the live action on it, you were hooped. Particularly if you sat in that endzone, as you couldn't even see the replay and all you had were some small televisions hung from the overhang, assuming you were far enough under it to see these.

I hadn't thought of this before until just now but I haven't sat all the way to the back of the lower bowl since BCP reopened. So I wonder if the overhang of the upper deck, or perhaps the curtains that now cover it — do these ever block the view of the videoboard if you sit far enough back in the lower bowl? While you'd want to set the board as high as possible to avoid the ball striking it, this probably limits its maximum height.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

This thread reminds me of a thread I created back in October 2007:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14142

Asking you to rate the off-field aspects of the various CFL stadiums such as:

1. The overall appearance and ambiance of being inside the stadium.
2. The pre-game and half-time festivities.
3. The cheerleaders and dance teams.
4. The scoreboard and replay screen.
5. The concession stand selections, quality, and prices.
6. The decoration of the stadium with regards to how it acknowledges past championships and retired players.
7. The souvenir stands and other concourse entertainment.
8. The cleanliness of the washrooms.
9. The PA announcer and other audio aspects like the music.

I created a poll and most of you stated that BC Place was the best, and that was before the renovations.

Revisiting these features, I'll concentrate on point #4 above as a more apples-to-apples comparison as all stadiums have a replay screen and main scoreboard. Which CFL stadium do you think has the best replay screen and scoreboard? To help you make your selection, here's a some picture of each:

INVESTORS GROUP FIELD (WINNIPEG)
ImageImage
I think it's a first in that there's replay screen and scoreboards on BOTH endzones. Very large and wide replay screens.

TD PLACE STADIUM (OTTAWA)
With its many stadium renovations and reincarnations, a good new replay screen.

TIM HORTONS FIELD (HAMILTON)
A good, wide replay screen, but I guess that's expected out of new stadiums these days.

BC PLACE STADIUM (VANCOUVER)
A replay screen of its own in that it uses the hockey arena-style in that it's hung in the middle of the stadium as opposed to usual end-zone locations. I guess it took me a while to adjust but at least everyone in the stadium gets a view of the scoreboard unlike when it was located in the end zone and it was hidden those those seated on one side of the end zone.

PERCIVAL MOLSON STADIUM (MONTREAL)
ImageImage
A routine, ordinary scoreboard and a replay screen. I guess you can't get too much from a stadium that was originally built for Canadian college football.

MOSAIC STADIUM (REGINA)
A relatively large replay screen placed in a more unique position too in that it's in the corner as opposed to the end zone.

COMMONWEALTH STADIUM (EDMONTON)
A relatively smaller scoreboard and replay screen contrasting the largest CFL stadium in terms of capacity.

McMAHON STADIUM (CALGARY)
Very detailed in that it gives some team statistics, but nothing too spectacular other than that.

ROGERS CENTRE (TORONTO)
When the stadium opened in 1989 the large screen was well advertised. Some 26 years later with other stadiums with large screens, it seems rather routine now.

----------

That said, what is the best scoreboard/replay screen? I'm torn between the newest outdoor stadiums INVESTORS GROUP FIELD, TD PLACE STADIUM, and TIM HORTONS FIELD. But the tipping point would be to INVESTORS GROUP FIELD for its dual screens. For the two indoor stadiums, BC PLACE gets the nod over the outdated ROGERS CENTRE. And I wonder if future indoor football stadiums would follow suit and use the hockey/basketball-arena style by putting the scoreboard and replay screen in the middle of the field as opposed to the end zone.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
dupsdell1
Champion

BC Place and Rodgers center are the worst facilities to watch any sporting event have to both many times

1. Rodgers Center
the pros : being downtown, easy to get to ,
the Cons : too big for CFL football , if you sit up in the nose bleeds ( lower bowl or upper bowl ) you seem like you are a million miles away , that is for football and baseball , very expensive , food especially . ugly looking on the inside and out way past its time .

2. BC Place renovated .

Pros Finally has a sun roof were at least you can get some fresh air, seats are a lot bigger than they use to be, has cup holders, Food has improved a lot at BC place over the last 3 years , very fast in line not waiting for the first half for a beer. (when there is a big crowed ) they did lower the capacity to 54,000 from 60,000 does not look as big even when it is only half full in there. Nice huge HD video screen .

Cons : Sightlines are terrible ( especially in the corners upper and lower deck ) Roof does not open enough does not feel like a out door stadium at all when roof is open ( like a small sun roof ) the concourse is very dull looking , they did not do any upgrades to that at all . the stupid looking cable support roof looks like something from a science fiction space ship , ( especially from the outside) Parking is way to expensive for a cfl game ,( this is not the NFL) It is way to big for CFL/Mls football for the regular season , when they re did this there should be no more than 40.000 seats to accommodate concerts, world class soccer, purrfect for Grey cups, cfl , mls , and what ever comes through there , 54,000 is way to big we never fill it up. can not put baseball in there as the scoreboard is in the way , who ever thought of that dropped the ball , the mariners and the blue jays could play in there when they come to visit Seattle league games or exhibition.

For something that cost a half a million bucks they really drooped the ball on the whole facility was not much thought put into it at all, but it is a lot better than that garbage dome it use to be.