guess the east standings if

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

both montreal and Hamilton win.

I am guessing

ott
mont
ham
tor
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:both montreal and Hamilton win.

I am guessing

ott
mont
ham
tor
Your question seemed odd at first since if you're giving all the outcomes there shouldn't be any guessing. But everyone in the east will have 6pts (Tor at 3-1, all others at 3-2) under those conditions so although it has no impact on anything one could ask academically how they ought to be ranked at the moment.

The league doesn't necessarily use the usual end-of-season tiebreaking rules for this purpose when teams haven't necessarily played the same numbers of games. To quote from their own documents "Until late season tie-breakers can be invoked, Division standings are ranked by: 1) Standings points, then 2) Winning pct., and lastly by 3) Scoring quotient (+/-)."

So that means Tor with the best WPct (and no in-div games incidentally) would be first. You can use the tiebreaker on the rest. Ott & Ham haven't faced each yet but Mtl has faced them both and split the games with Ott winning and Ham losing (i.e., Ott 1-0, Mtl 1-1, Ham 0-1 in the full head-to-head among the three thus far so it seems they would be ranked in that WPct order. On the other hand if no head-to-head tiebreaker is invoked then Ott would be 3rd of these three because PF < PA, and for Mtl & Ham both with PF > PA, where they fall would depend on their winning margins this week combined with their differentials going into this week. But again not that this really matters for anything. Standings will keep evolving until end of season and won't matter until then.

What is clear is that the W->E crossover becomes less likely under the given outcomes, and the E->W crossover starts to become more a possibility.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

I am guessing

ott
mont
ham
tor
Your question seemed odd at first since if you're giving all the outcomes there shouldn't be any guessing. But everyone in the east will have 6pts (Tor at 3-1, all others at 3-2) under those conditions so although it has no impact on anything one could ask academically how they ought to be ranked at the moment.

The league doesn't necessarily use the usual end-of-season tiebreaking rules for this purpose when teams haven't necessarily played the same numbers of games. To quote from their own documents "Until late season tie-breakers can be invoked, Division standings are ranked by: 1) Standings points, then 2) Winning pct., and lastly by 3) Scoring quotient (+/-)."

So that means Tor with the best WPct (and no in-div games incidentally) would be first. You can use the tiebreaker on the rest. Ott & Ham haven't faced each yet but Mtl has faced them both and split the games with Ott winning and Ham losing (i.e., Ott 1-0, Mtl 1-1, Ham 0-1 in the full head-to-head among the three thus far so it seems they would be ranked in that WPct order. On the other hand if no head-to-head tiebreaker is invoked then Ott would be 3rd of these three because PF < PA, and for Mtl & Ham both with PF > PA, where they fall would depend on their winning margins this week combined with their differentials going into this week. But again not that this really matters for anything. Standings will keep evolving until end of season and won't matter until then.

What is clear is that the W->E crossover becomes less likely under the given outcomes, and the E->W crossover starts to become more a possibility.
if ham wins, then tor loses and will also be at 3-2
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

I am guessing

ott
mont
ham
tor

if ham wins, then tor loses and will also be at 3-2
Agh, you're right, I was thinking Tor was idle. Scratch all that then LOL. Except for the crossover comment, that would still be true.
EDIT: Mtl lost so I guess the question is moot.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.