Bombers 23 - Lions 13, Blog, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

swervynmerv
Legend

As much as I hated the gamble on 3rd and 2 at that point in the game and position on the field, Travis has to make that pass. The man was open and if he can't make a simple 2 yard slant pass we are in trouble!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Again this disgusting , our owner needs to sell this team , clean house and start all over buy that time the lions will probably fold or move to a different city .
How will selling the team cure our woes ?
silverwolf37
prospect

I hope no ones expecting a cup here in the next few years? LOL This team is just too young and inexperienced to win many games for a while? They've lost too many allstars like Simon , Bruce , extra
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Wally needs to retire and take Chuck Mcfog and Mark Washout with him just brutal

X2. Washington and McMann has been major disappointments.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As noted by many, this team has been on the downslope since 2012, and even before then, rot had set in. 2011 was pretty much a miracle year, with a miracle QB, and an amazing RB in Andrew Harris.

Then along came some modern-day coaches, the ball game changed, and we did not see it coming. We probably still do not see it.

One can only imagine the disaster if we had not gotten a highly qualified coach such as Tedford. We are actually in these games. We lose, but we have chances. If we had continued on with the previous regime, we would be getting smoked each night.

Believe it or not, we still do have some hope. Put Beck in for a while. Put Jennings in for a bit. Take some pressure off Lulay.

But it seems to me we need a change in philosophy on defence. Can that be done mid-season? With this DC? Dunno about that ...

Back later to read some more post mortems.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Tedford came here as a reputation as a guru and savior. 5 games in, I am seeing some cracks. Some strange in-game decisions, same penalties over and over, today we came out flat in the 2nd half (disturbing), not sure why wouldn't take Lulay out for a couple of series (at least). Team is playing tight and tentative. It starts at the top. Granted Buono has not given him a stacked deck, but it's frustrating to see what's happening with this team.

Did Murray-Lawrence miss a team meeting? Was he late for the flight? Not sure why they would exclusively use Antolin (who was average I thought). Antolin was supposed to return punts, not kick-offs too.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Tedford came here as a reputation as a guru and savior. 5 games in, I am seeing some cracks. Some strange in-game decisions, same penalties over and over, today we came out flat in the 2nd half (disturbing), not sure why wouldn't take Lulay out for a couple of series (at least). Team is playing tight and tentative. It starts at the top. Granted Buono has not given him a stacked deck, but it's frustrating to see what's happening with this team.

Did Murray-Lawrence miss a team meeting? Was he late for the flight? Not sure why they would exclusively use Antolin (who was average I thought). Antolin was supposed to return punts, not kick-offs too.

DH :cool:
Shaq took the game's opening kickoff for a 18yd return, but initially had fumbled it before doing so. The fumble might have put him in the doghouse?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
yukonlion
All Star

by my count the offence has only played 6 good quarters in 5 games. Fix our offence first? hasnt happened. 13 points wont win many games. the fast pace offence spends most time recalling the plays at the line, giving the D a chance to set up... vanilla play calling for most of the game
Qman
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Again this disgusting , our owner needs to sell this team , clean house and start all over buy that time the lions will probably fold or move to a different city .

I said it last week and I'll say it again, the turning point in this franchise came with the unfortunate passing of Bobby Ackles.

Dennis Skulsky is a clueless boob. He has no clue about football and attendance has plummeted on his watch. He should be gone.

Wally, HOF' er and helped turned this franchise around but I think it's time for him to retire. This team has been on a downward trend since losing the 2012 WF. It's time to bring in some fresh eyes and approach or there may be 10,000 fans in the crowd by October.

Could not have said it better my self , I bet you Skulsky will say it is the product on the field that does not sell tickets, nothing about pricing etc, when you sell a product to someone that product has to be worth the money right know the lions are no were near worth the $440.00 to sit in the end zone or anywhere in bc place , Congratulations Whitecaps you have become Vancouver's 2nd most popular team.
we know your a TROLL get off this site.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wow...I will have more tomorrow, but wow...how did Mark Washington keep his job? And after 5 games this relatively talented defence is DEAD LAST in the league and we have played SSK twice and WPG. Willy played on 1 and 1/2 legs tonight and torched us through the air and on the ground...honestly, it almost makes you laugh its so sad.

Poor Unspecial Teams, lots of penalties, and Lulay has no accuracy on throws where he has to put zip on it. Again, wow...

But to those criticizing Tedford's decision to go for it, think again...he called the purrfect play and gave his QB time, and an open receiver 2 yards down the field. Sorry, but that was a good call, players didn't execute!

This team could easily be 1-4 without the schedule and I honestly don't know how the defence gets any worse...just brutal!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
CardiacKid
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: I think some of it is poor coaching decisions BUT this team has something wrong in it. MALAISE set in even earlier tonight..
There is something that almost seemed to be approaching apathy in the performance tonight, particularly in the receiving corps. Winnipeg had more fire on display and guys like Veltung stepped up to make the most of their opportunity.

I have been wanting to see Minter and McFarland play but let's also give Jeffers-Harris a shot.

As for the coaching staff, I won't be holding my breathe waiting for Cortez to change or adapt his play calling. He showed very little of either last year in Riderville, particularly in his handling of Tino Sunseri. As for the D, we can hope against hope that Noel Thorpe wants to make a return to the west coast.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

BTW, if that game didn't show you that Lulay's arm has been seriously affected by the surgeries, then nothing will I guess. Lulay consistently looked off open receivers during the game because he knew he simply could not make the throw...and this won't get any better as the season progresses...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Memo to Mark Washington:

Dropping your linebackers off to cover and rushing 3 linemen in 2nd and long might work if the opposing team choose to throw the football but they're NOT. They're running quarterback draws, and designed plays to take advantage of the open field. Teams been doing that since the season started and you still haven't adjusted.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

PRE-GAME MESSAGE:

The message that I said the HC should have delivered was :

1. disciplined play.
2. heads in game all game ... focus, hard play.

If these messages weren't delivered they should have been. If they were delivered they were ignored.

COACHING:

Tedford post game sounded like reality has hit in for him and as down as he sounded he understood coaching and all facets of his team weren't good.

The OFF play book seems pretty thin. Not pretty and too predictable.

PENALTIES-

dead balls gone but a lot of others.

__

I felt that far too much was being placed on the great guru as HC but he's not been in the CFL for years and this game is different.

He looked bad on the first short gamble with having to take a time out. He's 0 for 2 on the longer than 3 and 1 gambles....

The play book seems limited on OFF and it's leading too much Travis sending it downfield into coverage that's all back waiting.

TEAM LEADERSHIP & TEAM CORE:

To me the core leadership group is too small in this team and it shows up in discipline and lack of guys making plays.

You really need a strong, good sized leadership group and it looks like it is not there.

Lulay again has no answers - unusual for him.

The Moj felt the Lions DEF is about individuals doing their job but no one other than our two star LBs are trying to make a play. Similarly with the REC corp. Burns - QBs dont toss all purrfect passes and REC must fight for it - prevent INTS.

QB:

Travis looks more frustrated than I have ever seen him. It looked like he was ordered to take the shot and just did it to follow orders knowing it isn't safe.

While Lulay will wear a lot of it - there needs to a stronger team than Harris and Lulay as it seems everyone is sitting back relying on them.

Something is very wrong.

DEF:

I agree with Farhan - dropping Bighill and leaving the middle open where he'd be is nuts but I suspect Drew Willy loved it as did their OC Marcel B. who had to be thinking - why weren't teams this dumb when I was HC as I'd still be there.

He surely has to put some heat on his DC as it's not cutting it. Farhan says MW is over coaching with not smart decisions like the use of Bighill in cover. Westerman had to go in cover .. what was that about?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote: There is something that almost seemed to be approaching apathy in the performance tonight, particularly in the receiving corps.
Receivers were lining up in the wrong spots all night. Lulay were directing them where they should properly be. He came close to being penalized for time count violations.