Leos/Bombers Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:mod's can we merge this this with GDT we have to many threads going. Also, why do we always have a post-game thread too. can't we just have one GDT. its just painfully to be writing on one and everyone has gone over to other.

Thanks your all your time and work.
I like the idea of separate game day and post game threads. The game day thread, for me, is the place to register your immediate reaction to what's going on live. The posts tend to be a bit more emotional in a GDT (speaking mostly for myself here I suppose but I get the feeling from posting during games that others would agree with this). That thread generally dies once the game is over — although it can continue well beyond this if something unusual happens in the game, especially if someone posts about it live in a way that lends itself to more in-depth discussion afterward. The post-game thread tends be a bit more sober, more in line with the rest of the non-GDT threads, and often continues several days after the fact. Also, WCJ usually posts the game stats at the beginning of these post-game threads, which makes it easy to find them, rather than if the threads were merged and have these end up buried somewhere in the middle of a combined eventual 20-30 page thread.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: I like the idea of separate game day and post game threads. The game day thread, for me, is the place to register your immediate reaction to what's going on live. The posts tend to be a bit more emotional in a GDT (speaking mostly for myself here I suppose but I get the feeling from posting during games that others would agree with this). That thread generally dies once the game is over — although it can continue well beyond this if something unusual happens in the game, especially if someone posts about it live in a way that lends itself to more in-depth discussion afterward. The post-game thread tends be a bit more sober, more in line with the rest of the non-GDT threads, and often continues several days after the fact. Also, WCJ usually posts the game stats at the beginning of these post-game threads, which makes it easy to find them, rather than if the threads were merged and have these end up buried somewhere in the middle of a combined eventual 20-30 page thread.
:thup:

Things evolve.

And, alternatively, when things have been going on successfully for a long time, there are good reasons for it.

Some diversity in threads is good. Different themes. And some posters make large contributions (Blitz, for example in this thread), with much work and even research involved, which more than merit their own thread. It would be inappropriate to bury such work inside one huge GDT thread primarily focused on in game response.

As you point out, sj, the GDT is spontaneous, sometimes emotional, and not necessarily analytical in its nature.

For myself, I usually take the time to do an in game blog, and it is going to get its own thread, along with the stats, and some post game comments from myself and others. It is more analytical in nature. Such a thread in itself can last a long time. And it is easy enough to track it down for later referral, by those interested.

If detailed work is going to get buried in one huge thread, posters are going to lose interest in doing the work.

Your answer was more than sufficient, sj. But the question was raised, and it involves me, so that is my response.

Just IMO.

We carry on ...

http://www.cfl.ca/article/preview-bombe ... n-winnipeg
Harris ranks second in the CFL with 465 yards from scrimmage, an average of 116 yards per game. He has 391 yards in his last three games alone and appears to be fully recovered from the injury that put an early end to his 2014 season.

“Andrew Harris is a very, very good running back,” said O’Shea. “He catches the ball out of the backfield so he’s a dual-threat in that regard. He doesn’t mind blocking.”

“Like Jon Cornish I find that he is able to stay on his feet and he gets yards after contact.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I prefer a separate GDT and PGT because once the game starts I find that being on the computer is too much of a distraction... or maybe I am too slow of a reader/writer.

I also PVR games if I am going out during game time and when I am at home I watch the games on a slight PVR delay that I match up with the TSN 1040 internet broadcast which is on a few second delay from live.